Author Topic: For Opeth fans--Iron Thrones  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Dcrupi

For Opeth fans--Iron Thrones
« on: June 13, 2010, 10:24:45 PM »
I've been a fan of this band for a few years now, and only recently realized that I've never heard talk of them around DTF...time to change that, hopefully. 

Iron Thrones are a newish progressive metal band from Minneapolis, and honestly have produced some of the best new metal I've heard in a while.  It's obvious that they take a GREAT deal of their influence from Opeth--they utilize the same heavy, dissonant wall of sound underneath carefully crafted, epic solo lines, plus vocals in a similar vein to Akerfeldt (minus the singing).  They apparently just recently won the Scion "No Label Needed" contest and were flown out to record the follow-up to their debut...seems as though they might be taking off a bit! 

Anyway, check out the song "Cover of Smoke" on their Myspace: https://www.myspace.com/ironthrones

It's one of the better tracks off Visions of Light IMO, very heavy and brutal, but also very beautiful at times.  I recommend checking these guys out!!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: For Opeth fans--Iron Thrones
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 11:11:49 PM »
I listened to "Cover of Smoke" and thought, "Okay, this doesn't sound as much like Opeth as I expected." Then "Still Waters" started.  :|

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
Yeah, they are very Opeth-sounding.  However, Circus Maximus is essentially a DT clone, but they seem to be doing fairly well on their own...no reason people can't enjoy Opeth AND Iron Thrones.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 12:21:31 AM »
vocals in a similar vein to Akerfeldt (minus the singing)

RORORORORORO

But seriously, I might check them out.

RORORORORO  :metal