Author Topic: Bands similar to Cynic?  (Read 5090 times)

Offline FlashCE

Bands similar to Cynic?
« on: June 13, 2010, 08:23:10 PM »
The music is just so beautiful and I love the clean vocals especially. I thought I found something kinda similar (at parts) when I heard a Periphery song but I'm not a fan of most of the screams. I don't hate screams, but I'm just kinda in the mood for some melody at the moment. I'm aware of Aeon Spoke, which is another great band.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Re: Bands similar to Cynic?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 08:36:49 PM »
Cynic's 1995 demo (when they were called Portal) is good also. Do you happen to have it?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:52:12 AM »
I'm sorry, but there is no band that is anywhere near similar to Cynic, they are a truly one of a kind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:22 AM »
I'm sorry, but there is no band that is anywhere near similar to Cynic, they are a truly one of a kind.

I agree. The closest I've gotten is listening to Gordian Knot while running around the house headbanging wearing only tighty whiteys and a cape working off the sugar buzz from a Cap'n Crunch bender.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline DT89

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 11:27:33 AM »
Definitely check out Exivious, Tymon and Robin's side project.  They recently decided to put the project on hold, because Cynic is top priority for them.  It's all instrumental, with a big jazz-fusion influence.  They have one album and you can stream the whole thing here: https://exivious.net/

Also check out the band Obscura.  They are heavier and more overtly technical than Cynic.  They kinda sound like a combination of Necrophagist, Cynic, and Death.  Check out their second album, Cosmogenesis.  Tymon from Cynic does a guest solo on one of the songs.

I also recommend Portal and Gordian Knot.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Usually when the topic of technical death metal arises, the first bands you will hear about are Atheist and Cynic.

Not that Atheist are similar to Cynic, but they are worth checking out.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
Usually when the topic of technical death metal arises, the first bands you will hear about are Atheist and Cynic.

Atheist are better than Cynic. By fucking miles.

*runs*
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 02:53:07 PM »
Atheist, Necrophagist, and my personal favorite--Death, all of their albums from Human and onward.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 03:47:48 PM »
Atheist, Necrophagist, and my personal favorite--Death, all of their albums from Human and onward.

Fucking love Death.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:19:24 PM »

*runs*

Maybe it's because they've done more than Cynic? I think if I check them out I'll be thinking the same too.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 11:44:56 PM »

*runs*

Maybe it's because they've done more than Cynic? I think if I check them out I'll be thinking the same too.

They haven't done that much more. Three albums versus Cynic's two. Regardless, that has nothing to do with it. I love how jazzy and technical yet crushingly brutal Atheist are, while Cynic bore me and often come off as little more than being pretentious and full of themselves.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2010, 02:50:43 AM »

*runs*

They haven't done that much more. Three albums versus Cynic's two. Regardless, that has nothing to do with it. I love how jazzy and technical yet crushingly brutal Atheist are, while Cynic bore me and often come off as little more than being pretentious and full of themselves.

People like more of Atheist's material in comparison, and on average, achieve higher ratings. I think the next time I want to hear some death metal I'll grab Unquestionable Presence. :metal

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 03:06:37 AM »
Not including Leprosy is blasphemy.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 03:13:10 AM »

Yeah coz Leprosy wasn't as appealing to me either so yep, I'd say Human onwards too.