Author Topic: Decent set of midi drum sounds?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
Decent set of midi drum sounds?
« on: May 26, 2009, 11:16:31 AM »
Microsoft GM drums suck like an industrial hoover.
Anyone know of any free ones i could download?
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Decent set of midi drum sounds?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »
What about that Meshuggah dudes Drumkit from Hell thing?  Dont know how to get it but they are sampled off of his own kit so they're pretty realistic from what i hear.  He used them for one of their albums i think.

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
Yeah Catch 33 was recorded using Drumkit From Hell. I think to download the high quality of that is like $200 or something.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 05:36:52 PM »
After some googling i found "MDrummer" which has a light version for free download. It has one kit which sounds reasonably decent, although I am regretting having a laptop as it seems to be impossible to upgrade the soundcard. Latency here we come!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 03:06:15 PM »
I have a pcmcia Creative Audigy 2. Seems to handle basic sampled instruments fine in Cubase for me compared to onboard. Plus surround outputs. :tup

I use DKFH at home on my laptop and it does the job for home recording. Kick drum sounds fucking odd though, imo.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Kartmaze

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 01:19:55 PM »
I think that DrumKit from Hell have really nice samples to use as MIDI-drums...

(used in https://www.myspace.com/rafom, due to lack of studio-time :P)

EDIT: Now I read that you are looking for free kits. Well, DFH isn't free, though...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 03:41:42 PM by Kartmaze »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 10:06:21 AM »
How does this work?  If I am using my home computer to record vocals, guitar, and bass, do I need anything else to make DKFH work?  I mean, do I need another controller, or anything?  Is it all "programmable," or can you "play live" with it?

Does that even make sense?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »
It works the same way any sampled vst intstrument would work - use it on a free midi channel in your DAW (cubase, logic, pro-tools, etc) and you can either click the notes in or for more natural sounding play back you can play the midi notes in using your keyboard or electric drum kit in the way you would normally program midi notes.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline Kartmaze

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:27:29 PM »
I use a VST drum sampler called Battery 3, and then just load the DFH-kit into Battery 3.
I then program MIDI-notes to make the beats (i.e. C1 is the Kick, D1 is the snare and so on). Pretty neat...

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 06:36:33 PM »
I used to use the free program Hydrogen ( https://www.hydrogen-music.org/ ) for drums, then I switched to Drum Kit from Hell, which i programmed in Logic. Now I use Superior Drummer 2.0 (which is a TON better than DKFH), though its still a bit $$$.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 09:57:53 AM »
It works the same way any sampled vst intstrument would work - use it on a free midi channel in your DAW (cubase, logic, pro-tools, etc) and you can either click the notes in or for more natural sounding play back you can play the midi notes in using your keyboard or electric drum kit in the way you would normally program midi notes.
OK.  Doesn't sound too hard.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.