Author Topic: Am I the only man who really likes the Iron Maiden Blaze era?  (Read 12532 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Am I the only man who really likes the Iron Maiden Blaze era?
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2010, 04:31:05 AM »
Speaking of underrated songs: Judas Be My Guide :metal

This song is in my top 5 maiden songs.  It is in fact criminally underrated.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline InstrumentalFiasco

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2010, 02:42:23 AM »
I never post here but been browsing and I had to add to the Blaze discussion!. I for one am a big fan of the Blaze Era, maybe not so much Virtual XI but X Factor is classic. My favorite maiden albums have always been the middle 5, The Number of the Beast through 7th Son. But X Factor despite having weird vocals and production, the songs are really good. So many good solos, instrumental sections everywhere, maybe the songs are to long and repetitive for most people but I enjoy it. Virtual XI would have been great if Bruce sang on it. I really love COE and The Educated Fool also.

My Maiden list would go something like this.

1. Somewhere in Time
2. The Number of the Beast
3. Brave New World
4. 7th Son of a 7th Son
5. Powerslave
6. Piece of Mind
7. The X Factor
8. Iron Maiden
9. Dance of Death
10. Killers
11. A Matter of Life and Death
12. Virtual XI
13. No Prayer for the Dying
14. Fear of the Dark

NPFTD and FOTD are total crapfests.
Sig removed for being too tall.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2010, 06:22:14 AM »
Wolfsbane recording a new album?
https://www.bravewords.com/news/141375
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2010, 07:01:11 AM »
Whoa!

That's what happens when I don't follow the works of Blaze for a while...  :metal

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2010, 02:54:34 PM »
Virtual XI would have been great if Bruce sang on it. I really love COE and The Educated Fool also.
Odd, I thought Blaze was a highlight of the album. :p  Actually, what you say is really sensible as Virtual XI was kind of like a step out of X Factor mode into incorporating some more classic Maiden sensibilities.  Honestly, with Dickinson on it I feel as though it would have been an album of roughly the same quality but held in much higher esteem.

That's what happens when I don't follow the works of Blaze for a while...  :metal
I think Blaze has mentioned something about wanting to do this prior to The Man Who Would Not Die was released.  Great to see it actually coming, although I've never gotten into Wolfsbane despite loving BLAZE and Blaze's time in Maiden.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2010, 08:17:39 AM »
I'm really into their debut album, Live fast die fast. The thing is, that was some fun teenage heavy metal, and I have no idea what the band will sound like after all these years...

Offline Chagny

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »
Blaze-era Maiden was good, but definitely a low point for the band as far as overall music quality.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2010, 06:01:03 PM »
I put on The X Factor to give it a fair chance since I never have. First listen: I didn't make it passed Sign of the Cross, but I was tired. I ended up dreaming about Within Temptation for some reason... Anyway, second listen: The more this album spins, the more I wonder why the hell they picked Blaze. There's no life in his voice most of the time. Fortunes of War was horrible. It's a shame they used ideas from its solo section for Dream of Mirrors. I'm not in agony listening to this album, but it's not that great at all. And since I'm gathering my thoughts as the album plays, I'm noticing that Blaze's singing actually does improve.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
As much as I often dislike Blaze era Maiden, it's not because Blaze can't sing, the blame once again shifts to Harris. Blaze sounds excellent on everything I've heard him on outside of Maiden, it's just that Harris did not use him well at all.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2010, 04:41:09 AM »
I agree with that. I mean, Maiden have always had songs where the song title gets repeated over and over, but with Bruce they also make his voice vary each time, and make other small changes in the music, so that it doesn't get too tedious. Whereas the songs on Blaze's albums that did that just sounded like exactly the same thing over and over.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2010, 07:35:12 AM »
The Angel and the Gambler wouldn't be so bad if the chorus wasn't repeated a thousand times.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2010, 07:39:20 AM »
I just find it incredibly inconsistent. Some songs are amazing (The Clansman is easily in my Iron Maiden top 5, and I mean the studio version), some are plain weak, some could be better. The problem is definitely the songwriting, Blaze is an excellent vocalist in my opinion and he doesn't bring anything down at any point - quite the opposite, there are things I can't imagine anyone else sing.

Offline Seventh Son

« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
I never post here but been browsing and I had to add to the Blaze discussion!. I for one am a big fan of the Blaze Era, maybe not so much Virtual XI but X Factor is classic. My favorite maiden albums have always been the middle 5, The Number of the Beast through 7th Son. But X Factor despite having weird vocals and production, the songs are really good. So many good solos, instrumental sections everywhere, maybe the songs are to long and repetitive for most people but I enjoy it. Virtual XI would have been great if Bruce sang on it. I really love COE and The Educated Fool also.

My Maiden list would go something like this.

1. Somewhere in Time
2. The Number of the Beast
3. Brave New World
4. 7th Son of a 7th Son
5. Powerslave
6. Piece of Mind
7. The X Factor
8. Iron Maiden
9. Dance of Death
10. Killers
11. A Matter of Life and Death
12. Virtual XI
13. No Prayer for the Dying
14. Fear of the Dark

NPFTD and FOTD are total crapfests.

TNotB and SiT are middle of the pack albums for me, personally. Both albums have a bit of filler in them. Also, AMOLAD is in my top 5, I love that album to death, but I suppose I belong in the minority for that one. I never got why people put Somewhere in Time as their #1, its the weakest of their first seven albums to me. It would probably be #11, if it were me.
Every time someone brings up "Never Enough", the terrorists win.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: June 27, 2010, 03:01:01 PM »
I definitely love the last two albums as well, it's more difficult in case of Brave New World since I haven't heard it for ages but I have very good memories of it.

Offline ConstantMotion

• The Scientist
  • Shine, lake of fire
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2010, 04:21:19 AM »
You're not the only one. I love those two albums.  :metal

The X Factor is superior in every way to Virtual XI, but still, both are great albums.
Live dates

July 15th, 2010 - Blossom Music Center, Cleveland OH, USA
June 25, 2012 - Taft Theater, Cincinnati OH, USA

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2010, 04:30:54 PM »
Been watching Blaze era live videos all day. Watched Chile 1996 earlier, currently watching Curitiba 1998 about halfway through. I really wish I had got to see Maiden in the period...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dY2RcOTKVg&feature=related

:metal

EDIT: Someone needs to make a gif of Blaze at the 0:58 drum fill:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwxwxpKiQWU&feature=PlayList&p=BA7DD65DC29BB910&index=60&playnext=5
:lol
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 04:54:06 PM by Obi-Wan KeRobDi »
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2010, 08:17:40 AM »
Just finished cutting the lawn to Promise & Terror. What an incredible album. The Trace Of Things That Have No Words is my Song Of The Year so far.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2010, 09:06:58 AM »
My song of the year has to be 1633.  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2010, 04:59:09 PM »
Yeah, I was just coming to post about Promise and Terror.  What a killer album.  Extremely consistent with amazing metal all the way through.

Some great emotional lyrics from Blaze and certainly one of his best performances to date.  There's quite a lot to take in on this album, but extremelly solid all the way through.

My only complaint when comparing to The Man Who Would Not Die was that's it's not as heavy.  I loved that album simply because of how heavy it was.  P&T seems more polished, but equally if not more enjoyable.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2010, 05:34:28 PM »
My only complaint with Blaze's singing about 5 years back was his vibrato tended to shift into slightly sharp territory. I haven't gotten around to getting his last few records, so I'll have to do some detective work to track'em down.