Author Topic: Rammstein Discussion/Appreciation  (Read 48736 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Re: Rammstein Discussion/Appreciation
« Reply #210 on: May 16, 2018, 10:53:12 AM »
Rammstein is not all about controversial stuff. That's just a small part of them. Lindemann's lyrics are actually very intelligent and (this might piss you off) maybe it's not the same when you don't get all of the lyrics. They're full of images and onomatopoeia and words that are not usually used (anymore). I'm guessing it's very hard for a non-German native speaker to understand at times. Lindemann's plays on words are incredible, very well hidden at times and sometimes pretty hard to understand.

Even I had to google some words to understand them. In "Haifisch", Till uses the word "Zähre" which I had never head before. It's actually a synonym for "tear" from "Old High German" from around the 8th century and it's never used anymore. He sings more or less:

"The shark has tears, and they run down his face.
But the shark lives in the water, so the tears cannot be seen.
In the deep it gets lonely, so the one or the other tear ("Zähre") will run (?)
And that is why the water in the oceans is salty."

I don't know about you guys, but I find this very beautiful.

Lindemann adapts Goethe (the song "Dalai Lama", adaption from the Erlkönig (1782)), Kurt Weil ("Haifisch", an adaption of Mackie Messer from the Threepenny Opera (1928)) or Fontane ("Roter Sand" is inspired by Effi Briest (1895)), among many others.

I gotta admit, I am a huge fan of Rammstein (definitely in my top 10 bands of all time), so this post is probably not very objective. And I get that some people don't like them, but I'm actually getting a little tired of the fact that people think that they only do what they do to be controversial and to piss people off. Their music is also not dull and unmusical, because that's also just a small part of them. They are rockers, they are tough dudes, but they're also romantics. Lindemann has released two books of poems (!), for gods sakes.

Fun fact: My girlfriend (who loves Ed Sheeran and Rhianna) once had a big fight with her parents and I was there also. She stormed out and told me she just wanted to go somewhere in my car. She was super pissed and wanted to listen to something aggressive and loud. So I put on Rammstein. It totally calmed her down, she really started listening to the lyrics and melodies, and sometimes just had to admit that they have beautiful melodies and lyrical phrases that she never noticed, because she only knew Du Hast and Pussy. But if you listen so a song like "Nebel" (a song about an old couple in which she confesses to him that she knows she will die soon... hauntingly beautiful) or "Donaukinder" (a song about the Plague), you'll see that this band is more than just about controversial stuff and being tough and German and pissing off people.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #211 on: May 16, 2018, 11:06:11 AM »
Rammstein is not all about controversial stuff. That's just a small part of them. Lindemann's lyrics are actually very intelligent and (this might piss you off) maybe it's not the same when you don't get all of the lyrics.

Nope, that doesn't piss me off at all.  I appreciate that you took the time to post that, and I appreciate the connection you have with their material.  And I get and can respect a lot of the things you pointed out.  From both an artistic standpoint and in terms of just creating something other people can relate to and deeply connect with, that is all really cool.  I mean, they are definitely artists and are definitely a creative force.  The things you mention are all things I tend to REALLY gravitate to and appreciate in other forms of art/music.  It's just that the things I pointed out unfortunately overshadow and taint the good parts for me.  I can't get past that.  And, frankly (not intending to piss you off), I don't want to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #212 on: May 16, 2018, 12:30:21 PM »
Some of the Rammstein lyrics are truly beautiful, such as Nebel, Rosenrot or Roter Sand.

Then there are the ones that are pure shock rock, such as Pussy, Bück dich or Mann gegen Mann.

And then there are some that manage to be both controversial yet meaningful, such as Mein Teil.

They're not my favorite band lyrically, but there's plenty of stuff to keep me both entertained and moved, both horrified and educated. They do a fine job.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #213 on: June 20, 2018, 01:02:10 AM »
So there are rumours that Rammstein is going to release their next (and quite possibly last) album later this year.

https://www.morecore.de/news/rammstein-veroeffentlichen-neues-album-noch-dieses-jahr/

This site is in German, but it basically says what I just said :D Let's see if there will be further news soon.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #214 on: June 20, 2018, 07:44:13 AM »
So there are rumours that Rammstein is going to release their next (and quite possibly last) album later this year.

https://www.morecore.de/news/rammstein-veroeffentlichen-neues-album-noch-dieses-jahr/

This site is in German, but it basically says what I just said :D Let's see if there will be further news soon.

Ya I saw an interview with Richard where he said it MIGHT be their last album.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #215 on: June 20, 2018, 12:36:22 PM »
Yeah I saw that too, I'm just assuming. That's why I put the "quite possibly" in there ;)

I hope not though!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #216 on: June 20, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »
Well they’re getting up there in age and they’re slowing down quite a lot. Could be it for them.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #217 on: March 26, 2019, 04:21:53 PM »

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: March 26, 2019, 04:40:54 PM »
Bring it on, my body is read for some new Rammstein!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2019, 05:33:18 AM »
Rammstein are in trouble again :lol
Video is coming out today!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2019, 07:24:24 AM »
Rammstein are in trouble again :lol
Video is coming out today!

I can't wait for this, even though I will not listen until I can listen to the whole album  :lol
I will watch the video without sound, though. Oh man, we have been waiting for this for 10 years now!

(yah I know, I'm weird)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2019, 08:27:38 AM »
The song leaked ahead of the video premiere and it's absolutely fantastic.   :metal  I can't believe that it's been about 10 years since they've released an album. 

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2019, 08:35:26 AM »
Oh my god I'm so excited for this. I'm another one who has been waiting for damn near 10 years!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #224 on: March 28, 2019, 08:56:49 AM »
The song leaked ahead of the video premiere and it's absolutely fantastic.   :metal  I can't believe that it's been about 10 years since they've released an album.

Yeah, the thought that we will get something new from Rammstein actually gives me goosebumps.

Do you guys think we'll get an album information, preorder link etc today?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #225 on: March 28, 2019, 09:16:30 AM »
The album is self titled and it’ll be out 5/17.

Before, they said it could be their final album. With it being self titled, I think it’s definitely their final one.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: March 28, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »
ehh I wasn't impressed. I song is average and the video has too much going on, I love R+ music videos but this one kinda lost me half way through, I'll give another shot later.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #227 on: March 28, 2019, 11:41:18 AM »
It was okay, not surprising for the first single.

The video has been up only for 40 minutes now and it already has half a million views.  :o

Offline hauswife

« Reply #228 on: March 28, 2019, 11:44:19 AM »
The song is not good in my opinion. It lacks heavy riffs and is way too poppy. Im disappointed with that.
The video.... I dont know. It argues whether or not we should like our country and thats a good thing. But for me the line "deutschland, deutschland über allen" totally kills the song. Its waaaaaay to close to the lyrics of the national anthem during the nazi regime. You shouldnt hear thousands of people sing that at their concerts. On top of that people could actually sing "deutschland, deutschland über alles". I think Rammstein went too far with that line. Sad...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #229 on: March 28, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
I'm sure they will get away with it, though. They've gone too far a dozen times in their career, it's kind of their thing. And whatever they're addressing, there's never been any malice or ill-will in it. As long as people try to understand what this is about.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #230 on: March 28, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »
I'm sure some fans already chant "Heil" during Heirate mich.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: March 28, 2019, 12:27:37 PM »
What's the difference between alles and allen?
I don't understand the premise of the video yet, so the black woman is a time traveler?

Offline Grappler

« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
I think the song kicks ass.  I love the keys and lead guitars, and it's incredibly catchy.

The lliteral transation is essentially "Germany over all" though "uber alles" translates to "above everything."  To me, the video is showing the history of Germany, from a medieval period though the Nazi regime, and the black woman is from the future and traveling backward through time? 

It's hard to understand without a full lyrical translation.  I agree that the band is just doing their usual - pushing the envelope and probably employing some creative word-play. 

Offline fibreoptix

« Reply #233 on: March 28, 2019, 01:24:52 PM »
They're back. Absolutely loved it. Gave me goosebumps by the time they reached the last chorus. Tiny flavours of Iron Maiden in the guitar work which was interesting. Can't wait for the album!  :biggrin:

Offline JLa

« Reply #234 on: March 28, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
wtf did I just watch?

"Deutschland, Deutschland über allen"

They've always had this army theme to them, subtle tongue-in-cheek sort of way (Links 2,3,4 anyone?), but that line, eh. That won't go down well.

On a more positive note, since we're praising Rammstein in here. Their live DVD "Live in Nimes" ("Völkerball") is beyond incredible. Although it's downright frightening to witness how the crowd just loses it to the music. Lindemann could have sung/shouted whatever he wanted and the crowd would shout back.

Which leads back to the line/point mentioned above. Eh. Really don't like it!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:40:57 PM by JLa »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #235 on: March 28, 2019, 02:20:52 PM »
Awesome song. Awesome video  :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #236 on: March 28, 2019, 03:43:22 PM »
Cool video and song, that will definitely be huge live!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Tyrias

« Reply #237 on: March 28, 2019, 04:23:03 PM »
Because some people asked about the lyrics: The controversial line "Deutschland über allen" literally means "Germany above everyone", whereas "alles" would mean everything (at least approximately, it's a bit more subtle in reality).

Also, because context is important, I really don't think the line is bad in this context. The whole song is quite critical of Germany's history, and then there are lines such as:
"Deutschland – mein Herz in Flammen
Will dich lieben und verdammen"
(Germany, my heart in flames, I want to love you and damn you)
or:

"Deutschland – deine Liebe
Ist Fluch und Segen
Deutschland – meine Liebe
Kann ich dir nicht geben"
(Germany, your love is curse and blessing; my love I cannot give to you)

Kind of makes it clear where they're standing on the matter of blind loge to their fatherland ::). Again out of context, but don't have time to translate everything right now.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: March 28, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
Thanks Tyrias.
I saw a full translation on fb a little earlier. I know to you Germans and Austrians "Deutschland über alles" is connected with the NSDAP era but for everybody else doing research will find that it's been the national anthem before that. Hell I've done so much WW2 era research back in the day that I don't even know the words to the stanza currently use, I just know Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt :lol
I remember me and my wife watching Germany VS. Sweden on the last world cup and without thinking I was casually singing along the national anthem at the start of the match, she pointed out that I wasn't singing the same words they're singing heh

Offline Grappler

« Reply #239 on: March 28, 2019, 07:18:55 PM »
Thanks.  Sad to see the usual people and media commenting on the WWII imagery in the video and lambasting the band when they should really translate some of the lyrics. 

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #240 on: March 28, 2019, 07:46:55 PM »
What's the difference between alles and allen?
I don't understand the premise of the video yet, so the black woman is a time traveler?

She's Germania (the personification of Germany).

Amazing video and song!

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #241 on: March 28, 2019, 08:28:58 PM »
Wow, so much detail in this video.

Did anyone notice that on the Nazi camp scene, not all the prisoners being hanged are Jews?

Paul Landers has the star of David on his chest. Ollie Riedel has a pink triangle: homosexual. Lindemann and Flake, couldn't see.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #242 on: March 29, 2019, 01:34:22 AM »
That was one of the most impressive music videos I've ever seen!

Song was great too, and I'm not even that big of Rammstein fan..

Also, post n. 1000! After 6-7 years or something :lol

Offline Grappler

« Reply #243 on: March 29, 2019, 06:42:18 AM »
Just came across a really nice breakdown of the periods of German history in the video and what they may represent:

https://www.allthingsloud.com/insight-dark-history-behind-rammsteins-deutschland/?fbclid=IwAR0ul_VmXRScq0SgRIIge746YBIARVwW2XpYOAuhWcdp5978AjGwoOQN-lc

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #244 on: March 29, 2019, 03:53:46 PM »
Wow, so much detail in this video.

Did anyone notice that on the Nazi camp scene, not all the prisoners being hanged are Jews?

Paul Landers has the star of David on his chest. Ollie Riedel has a pink triangle: homosexual. Lindemann and Flake, couldn't see.
and it's a jew (Lindemann) that says the line "Deutschland über allen".

The song is really growing on me, very simple yet so powerful.