Author Topic: Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come  (Read 1325 times)

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
« on: June 11, 2010, 12:09:42 AM »
 Any fans here? It was re-issued a few days ago as a deluxe edition that comes with a live cd. The best album of the 90's imo.

wtf is the internet?

Offline SoundscapeMN

Re: Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 02:16:17 PM »
yeah I checked it out a few months ago and while I'm not sure how addicted I'll ever be to it, as for hardcore punk rock, I found it vastly more interesting than pretty much everything else I've heard before.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:10:46 PM »
I like them, good energy, they do rock out, tight sounding
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:15:57 AM »
There are a few albums that I consider 'future-proof,' by which I mean the music will sound as fresh and exciting when released as it will in 25 years or even longer. Rage Against The Machine's self-titled album fits that bill, and so does 'The Shape....' A fantastic album, which I only discovered after Dexter Holland from The Offspring put one of the tracks from it onto a compilation album that came free with Kerrang magazine a couple of years ago. IMO the sound of the album and the anger in the lyrics will never become irrelevant

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:58:44 PM »
This is a very cool album, glad I was exposed to it. :D

Offline ack44

• Banned from P/R
  • Wryyyy
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:38:06 AM »
There are a few albums that I consider 'future-proof,' by which I mean the music will sound as fresh and exciting when released as it will in 25 years or even longer. Rage Against The Machine's self-titled album fits that bill, and so does 'The Shape....' A fantastic album, which I only discovered after Dexter Holland from The Offspring put one of the tracks from it onto a compilation album that came free with Kerrang magazine a couple of years ago. IMO the sound of the album and the anger in the lyrics will never become irrelevant

Well put. As much as people call this album "influential" no band has really succeeded (or even tried?) at mimicking their sound. Sure bands like The Dillinger Escape Plan and other hardcore bands drew from the mixing of electro and heavy music, but I think the real influence is yet to be seen. They were ahead of their time in many ways.

Also, I recommend the self titled album by the band Text. It's pretty much Refused without Derick. It gives you a taste of what a 4th Refused album might have sounded like, although it sounds nothing like Refused.

wtf is the internet?