Author Topic: Rush and the Rock and Roll HoF  (Read 6421 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Rush and the Rock and Roll HoF
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:56:05 PM »
Since the inception of the RR HoF I have donated approximately $5,000 to the museum. I have been to the HoF many times, and think it's  a great place, and is a great thing to keep alive. I have also been miffed, like many of you, that Rush is not in the HoF. Of course I have been fortunate to get to know the members of this band on a personal level, and consider them now my friends, so my bias is pretty strong for obvious reasons. I joke around with Geddy from time to time by throwing a barb his way when we're talking about something completely random. It usually goes something like this- Ged: "I bought a new Samson wireless system today." Me: "Yeah, but are you in the Rock and Roll HOF?", or Ged: "All I ate today was a protein shake this morning, I'm starving." Me: "And your still not in the HoF." He usually says "And you'll NEVER be there." We laugh.
I kid around with him, because quite frankly, while he and Alex and Pratt would be very honored, they don't really give a damn either way. The fans however are incensed, which usually just makes Geddy shake his head and smile. He and Alex joke about it with each other more than I do with him.
Last week we were talking and I told him I was going to send them an email declaring my outrage over the fact that they had not been selected for induction. I also told him I was going to remind them of my donationas to the foundation, and that in clear conscious, I could no longer support their efforts financially, until this injustice had been rectified. We had a good laugh, and Geddy suggested they probably wouldn't even respond.
So, yesterday I sent the email. I reminded the recipients of the email of the countless musicians who have been influenced to play bass, drums, or guitar by each of these guys, alone should be enough to place them firmly in the halls of the HoF; their amazing career and contributions both lyrically, and musically not withstanding.
Today, less than twenty-four hours later I received the following:

>Dear Mr. __________,
>
> Thanks for your comments.
>
> Nomination and induction into the Hall of Fame is not about popularity, records sales, which label the group is on, or anything other than the process below. The love for, the evaluation of, and the impact of any artist are subjective questions to be answered by the nominators and the voters.  Unlike baseball, football, basketball or hockey, statistics are not relevant.
>  
> The entire nomination and induction process is coordinated by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation in New York City. Artists can be inducted in four categories: Performer, Early Influence, Non-Performer and Side-Men.  The latter three categories are evaluated and decided by separate committees.  The selection of Performers is a two-step process as described below.
>
> The only formal criteria for the performance category is that an artist has to have had their first record 25 years ago.  That said, candidates are reviewed and discussed relative to their impact on this music that we broadly call rock and roll.  The innovation and influence of these artists is also critical.  Gold records, number one hits, and million sellers are really not appropriate standards for evaluation.  
>  
> The formal selection of Performers begins with an extensive panel of journalists, historians, previous inductees, noted musicians, industry heads, etc. In turn, those nominated are sent to a committee of more than 500 people around the world (journalists, historians, music industry management, all living inductees, musicians, etc.) who vote. Those receiving the highest number of votes and more than 50% of the votes cast are inducted into the Hall. Usually, this means five to seven new performing members each year.  All this said, you can see the road to being inducted is an arduous one and for the most part, removed from the realm of influences or politics.  
>  
> Finally, as I noted above, people sometimes forget that rock and roll, the artists, and other participants are viewed in an incredibly subjective manner by any individual brought into the circle of discussion. As such, there is often widespread disagreement or fracturing of opinion about who is or was important and to what degree.  
>  
> I really think that all deserving candidates will have their moment eventually.  Unfortunately, it often isn't the time frame they or their fans desire.  In fact, there's not only precedent in our history, but also with the other sports halls of fame where many of the legends do not get inducted in the their first year of eligibility, or for many years to come in quite a few instances.  I too am a fan of Rush, and hope that one day soon, we will welcome them into the Hall. Until that time comes, I want to think you for your support of our organization. Donors like yourself keep our non-profit mission alive. I hope you will reconsider your intent to withdrawal your continued support of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
>  
> Peace & Soul,
> Rock & Roll!
>  
>
>  
> Terry Stewart
> President
> Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum

I say, BULLSHIT!! Put Rush in the Hall of Fame now!

:metal

I forwarded the email to Geddy, and his response was a smiley face.  :biggrin:
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush and the Rock and Roll HoF
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »
The guy who runs the whole show is a well-known hater of Rush, and has said on more than one occasion that Rush will never make the Hall as long as he has any say so in the matter. 

I say, who cares?  Sure, it would be nice if they made it, and they certainly deserve it, but it doesn't piss me off like it seems to piss off a lot of Rush fans.  It is just the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which has about as much credibility as the freaking Grammy awards, so like I said before: who cares?

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:06:02 PM »
Exactly. What I found most humorous was the minute I mention no more funds, I got the response from Terry Stewart. I basically sent it to see if Ged was right, and because we were joking around about it again. But I liked the comment about politics. Not politically driven my ass.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 10:10:47 PM »
Temp, I just talked to Donna Halper at the Rush Documentary in Arlington, Ma. sunday and she told me point blank the Jan, point blank said Rush would get in over his dead body.  I find it alarming the his eletist(sp?) attitude on this subject.  Yet the Ramones and Run DMC are in.  I can't even begin to start why this is so wrong.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
with Genesis getting in this past year, you may finally see more people voting for other progressive rock acts. Rush and Yes namely among others.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 10:24:11 PM »
That's awesome Tempus. 

As for more prog groups getting into the HOF, I'm pretty sure, even though Phish paid tribute to their prog days, Genesis got into the HOF because of the 80s albums with Phil Collins.  I'd love to see Rush in the HOF and I think its kinda stupid that they aren't in yet, but its not that big a deal.

That being said, I am incredibly angry that Malignant Narcissism lost a grammy to a freaking glorified cover band!  There should be some rules against that!

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 10:29:57 PM »
I'm not really up to date on the whole Hall of Fame thing, but is it true that Deep Purple isn't in it? If so, that's just plain stupid. Smoke on the Water is practically the first riff anyone learns when starting out on guitar. Surely they've had more of an impact than most of the bands that are already in the hall of fame.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 10:30:59 PM »
All this said, you can see the road to being inducted is an arduous one and for the most part, removed from the realm of influences or politics. 

The guy who runs the whole show is a well-known hater of Rush, and has said on more than one occasion that Rush will never make the Hall as long as he has any say so in the matter. 

I guess the key words are 'for the most part' then?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 10:31:53 PM »
Its a lost cause, and it doesn't matter anyways. Rush is one of the greatest bands of all time, and they don't need to be inducted into anything for that to be known. :)

Especially now since they are inducting rap artists into the ROR hall of fame. :p Its become a big joke.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »
I'm boycotting the Hall until Rush are in there.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
I'm boycotting Rush until they make it into the Hall.  I mean, if they aren't in the R&RHOF, how good can they really be?

Offline TL

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:43 PM »
I've never understood why anyone cares at all about the RHOF. Enough shitty pop acts have gotten in that it can't really be considered prestigious or an honor at all. It's literally a list of acts that a few people happen to like.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 10:45:08 PM »
I'm boycotting Rush until they make it into the Hall.  I mean, if they aren't in the R&RHOF, how good can they really be?
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 10:50:10 PM »
I've never understood why anyone cares at all about the RHOF. Enough shitty pop acts have gotten in that it can't really be considered prestigious or an honor at all. It's literally a list of acts that a few people happen to like.

Some of those artists may be shit but you can't deny the influence.

However, when bands like Metallica, who were influenced by Rush, are inducted before the mighty triumverate themselves, that's when problems arise.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 10:59:43 PM »
So basically, the entire nomination process can be summed up as the following:

1. Band must be 25 or more years old

2. Popularity within the community

It has nothing really to do with their quality, influence, worldwide popularity, etc.?

So then, for all intents and purposes, Manowar, Rush, Yes, Iron Maiden, etc. all have equal chances of getting into the hall of fame?

I'm not gonna lie, although I found the museum itself to be pretty neat, that's kind of a stupid philosophy.

That would be like a history museum saying "Oh, we don't really need King Tut's remains, because its not all about how well known the mummy is. Therefore, we'll settle for a wheel of cheese dug up from a pete swamp in Georgia."

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 01:35:57 AM »
I don´t care at all about the Hall of Fame. But I seem to be the only one surprised about the OP being a friend of Geddy Lee. I assume it is a well-known fact to most forum members.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 01:50:53 AM »
I don´t care at all about the Hall of Fame. But I seem to be the only one surprised about the OP being a friend of Geddy Lee. I assume it is a well-known claim to most forum members.

That's a bit better.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 04:45:04 AM »
1. Band must be 25 or more years old
I'm boycotting the Hall until Dream Theater is in.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 05:04:35 AM »

However, when bands like Metallica, who were influenced by Rush, are inducted before the mighty triumverate themselves, that's when problems arise.
wat

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 05:07:41 AM »

Bad choice of example. The influence to Rush on Metallica is absolutely minuscule compared to the influence Metallica had on metal and the bands that followed. To be quite frank I almost guarantee the number of times people have heard the Rush influence on Metallica is slim to never.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 05:15:54 AM »
Anyone who is using this as a reason to boycott the hall should be reminded that there were a billion reasons to boycott the hall already, aside from this.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 05:48:56 AM »
Temp, I just talked to Donna Halper at the Rush Documentary in Arlington, Ma. sunday and she told me point blank the Jan, point blank said Rush would get in over his dead body.  I find it alarming the his eletist(sp?) attitude on this subject.  Yet the Ramones and Run DMC are in.  I can't even begin to start why this is so wrong.

So if this guy were to have "an accident", Rush's chances will improve?

The RRHoF lets all kinds of borderline / uninteresting acts in and will seemingly never let bands I like and argueably could be in the HoF in.  This alone made it unlikely I'd ever go, but the fact that its in the most god-forsaken hellhole guarantees I'll never go.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2010, 06:04:36 AM »
How the hell does one boycott the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame?  Do you just not go to the museum?  Do you make stern comments about it in your facebook statuses?  Do you firebomb Jann's house?  Will any of it do anything at all?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2010, 06:17:33 AM »
How the hell does one boycott the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame?  Do you just not go to the museum?  Do you make stern comments about it in your facebook statuses?  Do you firebomb Jann's house?  Will any of it do anything at all?
I don't know. I was joking when I said it. I've actually been there once, it's a fascinating museum, for the most part.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2010, 07:12:47 AM »
I'm gonna be visiting the HOF in a few weeks on our way to Phoenix. I really want to see Genesis' exhibit :D

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 07:34:45 AM »
I don´t care at all about the Hall of Fame. But I seem to be the only one surprised about the OP being a friend of Geddy Lee. I assume it is a well-known claim to most forum members.

That's a bit better.
Hmmm.... Just like you claim to be a heterosexual, right?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »
I'm gonna be visiting the HOF in a few weeks on our way to Phoenix. I really want to see Genesis' exhibit :D
I don't recall there being an exhibit for each inductee. I was very disappointed by this.
I AM A GUY

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 10:40:28 AM »

Bad choice of example. The influence to Rush on Metallica is absolutely minuscule compared to the influence Metallica had on metal and the bands that followed. To be quite frank I almost guarantee the number of times people have heard the Rush influence on Metallica is slim to never.
This, actually.  Metallica absolutely deserves to be there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2010, 11:43:40 AM »

That's a bit better.
Hmmm.... Just like you claim to be a heterosexual, right?
Yeah, he keeps saying one thing and doing another.

And by doing I mean...lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2010, 12:31:44 PM »

I say, who cares?  Sure, it would be nice if they made it, and they certainly deserve it, but it doesn't piss me off like it seems to piss off a lot of Rush fans.  It is just the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, which has about as much credibility as the freaking Grammy awards, so like I said before: who cares?

I wouldn't care so much about Rush making it into the HOF (even though I love Rush), but I would tend to care more about the fact that a guy running the show puts personal bias ahead of deserved recognition.  That doesn't sound like someone who should be in charge.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »

Sanitarium.  That's all I have.

I like the idea of a R&RHoF, but it seems stupid how it's been realized.  It's cool that Genesis made it in, but would they have if it weren't for the 80s?  And even Rush had a better decade than Genesis.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 01:09:33 PM »
I think the most influence Rush had on Metallica was in Cliff Burton's prominent bass playing within their music, but, even then, I don't think he sounded anything like Geddy.

Re: Jann Wenner -- so for all the liberalism of Rolling Stone, one of its founders is personally vowing to keep Rush out of The Hall simply because he doesn't care for their music.  Hypocrite much?

Offline TL

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 02:10:53 PM »
Wenner sounds like quite a tool. His reasoning for keeping certain bands out is outright immature and childish.

Also, if the OP does in fact know Geddy, can you ask them why Rush never comes to Halifax when touring? It would allow an entire region of the country to go see them without having to go all the way to Quebec.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2010, 06:00:35 PM »
I stopped caring about this since the '80s.

Just look at the record since then and it's obvious.

I'm more proud of them getting the Order of Canada, getting five songs in the Canadian Songwriters Hall Of Fame, having Neil's Hockey Night kit in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and National Lampoon's award for being Artist of the Millenium than I am about them being enshrined in Cleveland.

Even if they do manage it someday, it would mean nothing when compared to those other honors.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »
I stopped caring about this since the '80s.

Just look at the record since then and it's obvious.

I'm more proud of them getting the Order of Canada, getting five songs in the Canadian Songwriters Hall Of Fame, having Neil's Hockey Night kit in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and National Lampoon's award for being Artist of the Millenium than I am about them being enshrined in Cleveland.

Even if they do manage it someday, it would mean nothing when compared to those other honors.

Ytse, did you see the documentary yet?  You should. It was great.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC