Author Topic: What was your first new DT album release and your reaction?  (Read 13714 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What was your first new DT album release and your reaction?
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2010, 02:03:40 AM »

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2010, 02:24:02 AM »

...Yep :P I was a fanboy before I came here, but not anymore. It's not because I listened to all of the negative criticism, though, it's because I discovered so much more music.

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #72 on: June 11, 2010, 02:32:59 AM »

...Yep :P I was a fanboy before I came here, but not anymore. It's not because I listened to all of the negative criticism, though, it's because I discovered so much more music.
This, exactly
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: June 11, 2010, 04:09:27 AM »
Agreed 100%.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #74 on: June 11, 2010, 07:04:36 AM »
I tell you, it's these quote/reference fights that convinced me to join DTF.

Graphs like these are what convinced me to join DTF.

:tup :tup

I'm going to need to borrow that.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2010, 08:15:24 AM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2010, 08:42:03 AM »
 :rollin

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2010, 09:01:18 AM »
CRUCIFFFFFYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Was the first new thing I heard from DT once I was a fan. I really disliked it.

Then I listened to the real Octavarium and... oh, well, I hated Octavarium[/b]. When I was in the "Gabba gabba hey hey" part I was like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT!". Then I went to their concert and I started loving that song.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
Interesting. I really liked the wordplay Portnoy used in that section from day one. Full Circle plus Intervals is stupidly fun to listen to, partially because of that.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2010, 07:58:53 AM »
Train of thought...i had just been exposedto dream theater right after six degrees was released even though i wasn't aware of that..  by 03 i was so pumped from listening to awake and SFaM that I was expecting a lot..  upon first listen i was a little weary of "as i am" but the other tracks grew on me except honor thy father.. 7 years later i don't listen to the cd that much even though i like ES, SoC, and itNoG a lot... a little off topic, but i am not a big fan of "black clouds and silver linings" tCoT is a winner though

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »
I first listened/heard about Dream Theater before Octavarium came out. Got into them after that album came out, saw em at Gigantour, bought mostly all their albums, burned the rest from my friends  then bought Systematic Chaos. I was happy with what I got, James sounded fantastic, the melodies were great and it was heavy. fell in love with ITPOE, liked forsakens melody (I Rarely listen to it now), Kinda liked Constant Motion, TDEN was alright, POW love the groove and rhythm it has, TMOLS I like how it Get's heavy in the instrumenal.

I'm starting to like this more than Black Clouds, because how it flows and has many styles.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline j

« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2010, 10:54:32 AM »
BC&SL.  I first listened to Dream Theater several months after Systematic Chaos came out.  Didn't really go by albums at first, I mostly just listened to random songs here and there and really liked most of what I heard.  By the time BC&SL was released, I had already come down from the initial "DT high", but I was still pleased with most of the album, excepting the lyrics.

And lol @ rob graphing his arousal relative to seeing graphs.

-J

Offline JLa

« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »
Six Degrees. I bought it on release, and I thought disc one was "ok". Disc two, on the other hand, blew me away. Today I actually prefer the first disc, it just needed some time to grow on me. 

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2010, 03:24:48 PM »
Wow. I wasn't expecting that kind of response to my post...but all right. Whatever works.  :P

You could replace DT and DTF with any topic and subsequent forum respectively, and this graph will still work.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2010, 08:37:27 PM »
For me it's BC&SL.  By that time I had already been a fan for about a year, and I loved the album from first listen.

Offline metal_freak

• Film Score Freak
« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2010, 08:42:37 PM »
For me would be Black Clouds And Silver Linings!!! :metal my first reaction was  :eek
the opening track "A Nightmare To Remember" is freaking amazing=D!!!
I might going to see them this summer in the Summer Festival in Quebec City!! along with Iron Maiden, Rammstein and Apocalyptica :metal

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2010, 08:48:27 PM »
For me would be Black Clouds And Silver Linings!!! :metal my first reaction was  :eek
I might going to see them this summer in the Summer Festival in Quebec City!! along with Iron Maiden, Rammstein and Apocalyptica :metal
You live in Quebec?
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline metal_freak

• Film Score Freak
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2010, 08:57:31 PM »
You live in Quebec?
well i live in Toronto but i have some family in Quebec so I might going to the festival with them=D!! and i used to live in Quebec but then we have to move in Ontario (which sucks!!)...

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:52 PM »
You live in Quebec?
well i live in Toronto but i have some family in Quebec so I might going to the festival with them=D!! and i used to live in Quebec but then we have to move in Ontario (which sucks!!)...
Cool! I'll be there too :tup
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2010, 09:30:25 PM »
I got into Dream Theater about 2 weeks after BC&SL came out, so the upcoming 11th album will be my real first taste of new DT material as a fan.

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »
Octavarium was the first new album I heard by them. I got into them a few weeks before it came out. At that time I owned Images and Words, WDADU, and TOT. I was thoroughly impressed with the album(8VM) and sought Awake, SFAM, and 6doit in the following weeks as I could afford it.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2010, 10:11:14 PM »
Octavarium, loved it at first, but now the only songs I really listen to are TRoaE, SS and the title track.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline changeofimages

• mandon'tlookthatgifthorseinthefacemarblesman
« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2010, 01:17:36 PM »
for me it was SFAM.

i came for weeks  :omg:

Offline Bandit Manatee

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2010, 01:37:12 PM »
I was aware of the band and a fairly big fan but did not have their discography when systematic chaos came out.  Was not completley thrilled with that album.  Got way more into them and had more albums by them when black clouds was released.  Really enjoyed that album.