Author Topic: What was your first new DT album release and your reaction?  (Read 13721 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: What was your first new DT album release and your reaction?
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2010, 09:59:29 AM »
I became a fan during Awake, so Falling Into Infinity was my first release as a fan.  My college roommate got me into DT and so we checked out the new CD together.  As soon as we bought it, we were concerned.  The DT logo was gone and the cover artwork was a big change from the cool artwork of I&W and Awake.  It seemed that DT were changing their winning formula and we hated it.  Personally, I had become a big Kevin Moore fan and had learned "Space-Dye Vest" and "Wait for Sleep" note for note.  I was initially horrified at the somewhat cheesy in-your-face keyboard sounds opening "New Millenium," which was a big change from the more subtle Moore playing.  It eventually grew on me and I now like FII alot.  But our initial reaction was that DT's best days were already behind them and we were sad.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2010, 10:12:55 AM »
I became a fan during Awake, so Falling Into Infinity was my first release as a fan.  My college roommate got me into DT and so we checked out the new CD together.  As soon as we bought it, we were concerned.  The DT logo was gone and the cover artwork was a big change from the cool artwork of I&W and Awake.  It seemed that DT were changing their winning formula and we hated it.  Personally, I had become a big Kevin Moore fan and had learned "Space-Dye Vest" and "Wait for Sleep" note for note.  I was initially horrified at the somewhat cheesy in-your-face keyboard sounds opening "New Millenium," which was a big change from the more subtle Moore playing.  It eventually grew on me and I now like FII alot.  But our initial reaction was that DT's best days were already behind them and we were sad.
That was my same reaction to FII.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2010, 10:15:32 AM »
I became a DT fan no long after the release of Train of Thought, and it was my first album, but I wasn't already a fan when it came out.

And that brings us to Octavarium. I remember samples leaked on Amazon or something before they should have and I wasn't really impressed by them, but when I first got the album I loved it. That being said it has aged the worst of all DT's records for me and I now consider Octavarium to be either my least favorite or next to least favorite.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 02:52:47 PM »
My first album was a live album, Live At the Markee, I instantly felt in love with Dream theater, i was 12 i think.

Then i bought Images and Words as it was the studio album around that time.. and i like it but i remember i liked more the live versions of metropolis and pull me under than the studio version.. maybe cause it sounded heavier.. i don't know.

since then.. i have bought all their album as they arrive.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
First new release as a fan was Systematic Chaos.  At the time, I liked it except for TDEN and POW.  I thought it was a pretty solid release.  Now I can't even listen through the whole thing.  Easily their worst.  BC&SL was the second (obviously) and did a great job restoring my faith.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »
I had been a fan for 3 years by the time IaW was released. So when their "new" album came out, I was really looking forward to buying it and hearing it. Imagine my SHOCK when this new album sounded NOTHING like the album I had grown to love for the last 3 years. I knew Charlie was gone, but it wasn't just the voice, but everything sounded completely different from what I was used to. Obviously, I got used to their "new" sound, but it did take some time.

Same here.

I thought Dream Theater was turning into Journey was my very first reaction, but I was happy to have it because I didn't think there would ever BE a new album.

Wasn't very fond of the IMAGES either, thank goodness for the WORDS and MUSIC.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
My first album was Octavarium a few months after it appeared, so I guess it doesn't count. Really it was Systematic Chaos. I think the beginning can be summed up in the simplest way...
In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 -  :|
Forsaken -  :azn:
Constant Motion - THIS IS IT!

...and from that moment it has never disappointed me in anything. I got addicted to the album just like to every one of the other eight before getting it, and every single one of the eight songs had some time when I really loved it and listened to it lots of times (Prophets of War included, a year or so later also ITPOE Pt. 1 finally clicked). Repentance and The Ministry of Lost Souls got the "favourite" status since the first listen, and they hold it until now.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2010, 05:06:45 PM »
Octavarium.

I was shocked at how fresh the album sounded.

This. It still sounds fresh to me now.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
My first album was Octavarium a few months after it appeared, so I guess it doesn't count. Really it was Systematic Chaos. I think the beginning can be summed up in the simplest way...
In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 -  :|
Forsaken -  :azn:
Constant Motion - THIS IS IT!

With SC i was like:

In The Presence of Enemies Pt. 1 - :metal
Forsaken -   :|
Constant Motion -  :angry:

and so on.(until repentance)  :P
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2010, 06:54:46 PM »
Octavarium

Was totally blown away :metal

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 07:13:19 PM »
My first experience of DT was around 2004/2005, when some classmates of mine provided me with some individual songs from Train of Thought and Octavarium.
The songs as i recall: Panic Attack, The Root of All Evil & As I Am.
I loved them all, but for some reason i didn't dig deeper into the catalog, except for the fact that my dad bought Live at Budokan, which i really liked.
Systematic Chaos was my first 'new' release by the band, and it got good reviews in the magazines etc, and i really liked it.
ITPOE was an instant favorite, and still remains a top5 DT-song for me. (part 1)
Constant Motion was another early favorite (which i still love), overall i really liked the album.
Now the interest for the album overall has kinda faded a bit, but i still think its really good.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
I had been a fan for 3 years by the time IaW was released. So when their "new" album came out, I was really looking forward to buying it and hearing it. Imagine my SHOCK when this new album sounded NOTHING like the album I had grown to love for the last 3 years. I knew Charlie was gone, but it wasn't just the voice, but everything sounded completely different from what I was used to. Obviously, I got used to their "new" sound, but it did take some time.

So you're sayin you're glad you decided to take the time?

Not so much as that I learned to live with it for a while!   :rollin
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 07:32:01 PM »
 :rollin I guess you could say it was all under a glass moon?

HAHAHAHAHAHA
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jackbauer114

• I DO COCAINE!
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2010, 04:41:36 AM »
First album was 6DOIT when i was like 6 or something, my dad put on The Great Debate in the car and i just kept asking him to play it. First time i actually was aware of a release coming out was ToT, and when it came out, i listened to SoC over and over :metal :metal

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA
:lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2010, 12:05:33 PM »
My first DT album release since I had become a fan was actually the re-release of Live in Tokyo/Once in a Livetime. I wasn't as knowledgeable about the internet then, but I must've bought that DVD within a few weeks or so of it coming out, because it was in the summer of 2004.  I watched it pretty often. At that time, the only albums I had were Awake, Images and Words and Train of Thought, and I just remember being totally blown away by what seemed like a really, really rich discography of music I had and hadn't already heard. I also watched it with the commentary tracks, so I learned a lot of things about the band that way.  I really think that it's that DVD collection that made me fall in love with the band, because shortly after I just knew I had to buy Scenes and LSFNY. I didn't get L@B when it came out later, because of all the complaints people had about the sound not working properly. And because the setlist was full of songs I hadn't heard yet.

My first legit studio album was Octavarium, which I'm sure I bought a day or so within the day it came out. I had heard nothing of the album before hand, so I was pleasantly surprised. But, at that time, I was discovering bands like Nightwish and Blind Guardian for the first time. I was reading the Silmarillion again, I had just met my first girlfriend, and was busy working a really lame 1pm-9:30pm shift at Staples.  So I don't even remember my reaction, other than liking it and then not really paying a whole lot of attention to it until much later. 

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2010, 04:58:28 PM »
But, at that time, I was discovering bands like Nightwish and Blind Guardian for the first time. I was reading the Silmarillion again, I had just met my first girlfriend, and was busy working a really lame 1pm-9:30pm shift at Staples.  So I don't even remember my reaction, other than liking it and then not really paying a whole lot of attention to it until much later. 
I love the inclusion of this detail.  Too engrossed in Middle-earth to remember anything about Octavarium?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2010, 06:02:37 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Nah - I had to wait another day to be surrounded by it.  :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Adami

« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2010, 06:08:10 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, that's enough. Go to your room and wait for sleep. Dream of a great metropolis, then tomorow you can be awake..

...and find your caught in my web!

MWahahahahahaha
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2010, 06:12:49 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, that's enough. Go to your room and wait for sleep. Dream of a great metropolis, then tomorow you can be awake at 6:00..

MWahahahahahaha
Fix'd
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Online Adami

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »
Don't lie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »
Ok, that's enough. Go to your room and wait for sleep. Dream of a great metropolis, then tomorow you can be awake.

Your innocence faded in the glow of Adami's erotomania.

Offline limnides

• DTF.org Member
  • Dum vita est, spes est.
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »
Metropolis.  Overture 1928, to be precise.  Although it took me a lot longer to appreciate the entire album.  I had a hard time with the vocals at first.   :-X

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
But, at that time, I was discovering bands like Nightwish and Blind Guardian for the first time. I was reading the Silmarillion again, I had just met my first girlfriend, and was busy working a really lame 1pm-9:30pm shift at Staples.  So I don't even remember my reaction, other than liking it and then not really paying a whole lot of attention to it until much later. 
I love the inclusion of this detail.  Too engrossed in Middle-earth to remember anything about Octavarium?

That, and I was spinning Nightfall in Middle Earth CONSTANTLY. I am just as amazed as anyone that "had just met my first girlfriend" is also part of that sentence.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2010, 06:31:19 PM »
Octavarium.

I was shocked at how fresh the album sounded.

This. It still sounds fresh to me now.

I became a fan shortly after the release of Train Of Thought, so the next newest studio release by the band was my first, Octavarium. I found the new album very fresh sounding, and quite a change from the heavy-sided sounds of TOT and the experimental sounds of SDOIT. The idea behind the album also drew me in and made the album very special to me, and I still find it to be one of my favorite DT albums of all time, especially the closing epic.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2010, 06:32:58 PM »
That, and I was spinning Nightfall in Middle Earth CONSTANTLY. I am just as amazed as anyone that "had just met my first girlfriend" is also part of that sentence.
:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline FlashCE

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »
Technically, Octavarium. I didn't get it straight away though since I wasn't a massive fan back then and many people said it sucked. I got it and I think I liked it. I remember thinking that the intro to These Walls sounded very similar to something Linkin Park would do, since LP was huge back then lol.

The first album I actually anticipated was Score and I would go into the store everyday for a week to check if it was in. When I got it I loved it so much and I cried during The Spirit Carries On hahaha.

When Systematic Chaos came out, I loved the album. I overplayed it though I think and now I can't stand it anymore.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2010, 08:29:53 PM »
I&W- I had never heard any prog/anything like it before, and I absolutely loved it
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Bonham

• Either Zeppelin's drummer or "good ham"
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2010, 08:34:50 PM »
Technically it was BC/SL, since I got into em only a couple of years ago. I was still into their more generic hits at the time, but my jaw dropped when I listened to CoT for the first time. That prompted me to actually listen past the intro of Octavarium, and now I'm a bit obsessed. I'm a bit ashamed to say my favorite song off that album before then was Never Enough...
:facepalm:

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »
 :lol Yeah it is indeed very odd.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2010, 08:40:38 PM »
I was a fan shortly after Octavarium, and a fully fledged fanboy (for the most part) by the time SC came out. I loved it at first, though it hasn't aged that well.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »
Ok, that's enough. Go to your room and wait for sleep. Dream of a great metropolis, then tomorow you can be awake.

Lemme tell you, I was scarred after seeing that in the mirror.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2010, 11:21:50 PM »
Lemme tell you, I was scarred after seeing that in the mirror.
That's why I'm really glad it was you not me.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2010, 12:47:19 AM »
I tell you, it's these quote/reference fights that convinced me to join DTF.  :P

I am a DT newby. I haven't had my first release yet, but something I've found out about DT's songs (and other prog songs) is that I rarely like something first listen. The songs grow on me. I've made these graphs to represent the enjoyment of a song respective to times listened to.

I remember my first thoughts of Glass Prison were, "Oh. This is some generic metal song...okay moving on..." Then it got to, "Huh. This isn't so bad. It's kind of catchy..." until finally, "Wow. Amazing. No doubt this is some of their greatest work!"

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2010, 12:58:03 AM »
I tell you, it's these quote/reference fights that convinced me to join DTF.

Graphs like these are what convinced me to join DTF.