Author Topic: The Deep Purple Appreciation Thread v. All I Hear Is "Burn!"  (Read 21511 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Deep Purple Appreciation Thread v. All I Hear Is "Burn!"
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2012, 09:35:13 AM »
What DP albums would you recommend to someone who might be interested in listening to them?

Could you come up with a top-list of their albums?

My 5 favourites (in no special order):

Machine Head
Burn
In Rock
Fireball
Stormbringer
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2012, 11:10:29 AM »
Wow, both Bananas and Rapture of the Deep were pretty good!  Ian can't wail quite like he used to, but then I didn't expect him to.  He still has the style and passion in his voice, which is more important anyway.

I've never really listened to Steve Morse outside of Dixie Dregs and a couple of solo albums I have of his, which I have filed with my Dregs anyway.  Well, and with Flying Colors now, too.  It's pretty cool hearing him in a heavy rock format.  I knew he had the chops, but didn't know if he had the patches.

I didn't think anyone could replace Jon Lord, and no one did, but the new guy is pretty good.  Was that a synth solo I heard in "Back to Back"?  Whoa.

I'm kind of chuckling at the notion of Don Airey being a new guy, given his extensive history over the past 30 years. One of my favorite keyboardists ever.

And as for DP recommendations, throw Perfect Strangers on the pile. It's the rare case of a reunion album that stands alongside the best work of a band-I actually only like Machine Head better than PS.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2012, 12:03:02 PM »
Okay so I looked up Don Airey online.  Wow!  I had no idea.  The name rang no bells with me, but yeah, the guy obviously has been in the biz quite a long time.  Since it's all firmly in the Hard Rock genre, I don't feel quite so stupid, since I tend not to dig into personnel as much unless I'm really a fan of the bands in question.  I like Rainbow and Black Sabbath, even Whitesnake, but I could never tell you who played keyboards on any of their albums, except I happen to know that Rick Wakeman played on Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, only because I'm a Wakeman fan.  Otherwise I probably would have just said "Keyboards?"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
Don Airey has done tons! Ozzy, Schenker, Gary Moore!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2012, 11:24:31 PM »
Don Airey has done tons! Ozzy, Schenker, Gary Moore!!

I recognized the name from Ozzy instantly. :metal Didn't realize just how much he'd done, but I knew he'd done a lot. Looks like he's got the entire inbred rock family tree covered, actually!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2012, 07:32:52 AM »
He also plays on A Touch Of Evil by Judas Priest.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2012, 06:42:08 PM »
I got Machine Head on Vinyl a week or so ago, and it is such a heavy album! :metal
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline adace

« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2013, 04:03:24 AM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Now_What_%28album%29

I don't care for the album title, but I'm definitely looking forward to this. :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2013, 04:13:14 AM »
I'm interested in giving it a listen too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline adace

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2013, 09:48:20 PM »
Hm I didn't think much of that song. After seeing Deep Purple live a week ago (I went to see Journey, and Deep Purple just happened to be playing at the same show), they've gotten more of my money than they deserve, so I haven no interest in this. I don't consider it Deep Purple without Blackmore.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline adace

« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2013, 04:09:37 AM »
After a few listens, I think it's a pretty good song. It's not amazing or anything, but it's a solid ballad that still has me excited for the album. That said, I really think they should have chosen a more rocking track for the lead single.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2013, 04:36:52 AM »
Thank god Gillian isn't trying to sing high pitched....

Offline adace

« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2013, 02:12:23 AM »
Hell to Pay on another German show.
https://tvtotal.prosieben.de/tvtotal/videos/player/index.html?contentId=140773&initialTab=sendung&showId=1889-00

Also, just want to alert everyone that the album comes out tomorrow. Can't wait to hear it!!

Offline adace

« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
We have leakage.

Edit: Just listened. It rules. Might be the best thing they've done since Perfect Strangers. 2013 just keeps on delivering.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:49:41 PM by adace »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2013, 03:57:17 AM »
My dad played it in the car, and it was good. I think it had two standout songs, "Above & Beyond" and "Uncommon Man", both were really good. The rest was not in the same league though, ranging from decent to good, most being the latter. I would probably give it a weak 3.5 out of 5, or like a 6 out of 10. Good, with two fantastic songs, and overall a pleasant listen.

Offline adace

« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2013, 04:26:50 AM »
Give it a few more listens. Trust me, it'll grow on you.

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2013, 06:10:44 PM »
I have listened to it 8 times now, and it has really grown on me by now. :tup In fact, it has been the only cd I've played on Spotify since it was released.  :metal

And since this was the first release this year that I was looking forward to, I must say 2013 is starting with a proper bang!  :biggrin:
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
i cant find it on spotify? maybe only in europe if its been released there...

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2013, 06:58:51 AM »
i cant find it on spotify? maybe only in europe if its been released there...

That may be the case. But I'm shure it will be on your Spotify soon too.  :tup 
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2013, 07:20:31 AM »
Best album since Stormbringer or even Burn. Bravo. I especially liked Don Airey's playing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2013, 07:22:39 AM »
Wow, these comments have me interested. I'll sample some of the album tonight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline philmcson

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2013, 10:56:12 AM »
I have to say that it's a very good album..... but there is one "bad" thing: all the songs are slow to mid-tempo and I haven't heard any real heaviness out of it. I'd have loved it if there was a song like Burn or Child in time, but maybe Paice isn't physically capable of playing that fast anymore....   :P apart from that, a great album!

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2013, 11:12:23 AM »
anyone Catch the Behind the Music ....WFT...Hughes and Bolin had a guitar case filled with coke that they used to get it from country to country
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2013, 11:38:19 AM »
It's a solid album. It's not great, but there are flashes of greatness.

It works so well because of how safe Gillian play it. He really has a nice voice when he sings in his range. When he tries to go outside that... ugh.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2014, 08:38:19 AM »
I don't consider it Deep Purple without Blackmore.
As an active DP fan for over a decade, I find that sentence to have a similar ring to saying "It's not DT w/o KM" regarding DT12. The man in black is long gone and SM took them to places they never could have gotten otherwise. The new album was a huge grower, it's up there with their very best ever and, fuck it, my favorite of 2013 (and what a year it was!).

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:03 AM »
Well well well, look what showed up from Amazon today.  :metal Methinks I'll have to marathon this someday soon.

Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
Call me crazy but heard Child In Time today and for a sec I thought I heard Damian Wilson. Huh never noticed how much Damian sounds like Ian.  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Hey Deep Purple fanatics. I have a question regarding the House of Blue Light Tour.

I've recently heard that Queensryche opened on the tour for DP/Bad Company on at least April 24, 1987 in Philadelphia, and potentially the next night in Philly as well (it was a two-night stay). Do any fellow old schoolers who know about DP's touring history have any insight?

I maintain a site devoted to the history of Queensryche's original lineup, including a huge tour date archive. To my knowledge, Queensryche stopped touring in 1987 after some headline shows in February 1987. They headed to the studio after that (not quite sure when) to work what would become Operation: Mindcrime. However, Operation: Mindcrime was partially recorded in Philadelphia, in 1987, and April-ish is about right.

In addition, shows in 1987 are spotty for QR, because it was around this time (fall 1986-some time in 1987) that QR was in-between management, and booking agents (DeGarmo was booking shows for them in fall 1986 and that extended for a while).

I'm trying to confirm whether Queensryche indeed took a break from the studio to open for DP/BC on April 24, 1987 (and possibly on the 25th). I have a ticket stub from Purple for the gig on the 24th. But it just lists Purple. But it is not out of the realm of possibility that QR could have been a special guest as the third act on the bill for the Philly shows, particularly if they were there doing pre-pro for Mindcrime and had their touring stuff (which is also a possibility, since the last shows I have them playing in 1987 were in New York in late February (a headline run). They could have stored it on the East Coast, since they were going to record in Philly.

Can any of you Purple diehards help me out on this one? I can't find anything online to support this, but the person I got the ticket stub picture from says Queensryche opened that Apr. 24, 1987 show. But I am trying to confirm it (I have a message in asking if he was personally there, or if he was just told that QR was there or not).

Thanks!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2018, 06:43:42 PM »
Hey Brian, sorry but I can't help you. I saw Deep Purple on 4/23/87 in Providence and I can assure you Queensryche did not play that night.

They did have a local band, Triton, open the show. I have no recollection of any other band playing, nor did I note it. There is no other band on Setlist FM posted either. the first BC show for that tour IS listed as the 24th.

For some reason, I thought Triton was supposed to be a third slot. They may have ended up being the only opener. Again, I have no recollection of another opening band.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:48:47 PM by TAC »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
Have you checked with these guys?

Maybe someone there can help.

:biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 08:08:46 PM by admin2 »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2018, 07:36:13 PM »
Have you checked with these guys?

Maybe someone there can help.

:biggrin:

Hahahahahahahahaha.

WARNING!

Hey Brian, sorry but I can't help you. I saw Deep Purple on 4/23/87 in Providence and I can assure you Queensryche did not play that night.

They did have a local band, Triton, open the show. I have no recollection of any other band playing, nor did I note it. There is no other band on Setlist FM posted either. the first BC show for that tour IS listed as the 24th.

For some reason, I thought Triton was supposed to be a third slot. They may have ended up being the only opener. Again, I have no recollection of another opening band.

T,

I know. But QR was recording in Philly right then, and that date has recently come to light. I have a few emails out to Purple fans...see if someone waa there.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2023, 08:09:41 PM by admin2 »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2018, 07:42:04 PM »
Yeah, I know my post was a waste of your time! :lol

That's actually very interesting if indeed Queensryche did an escape from the studio kind of thing. I'm surprised if they did, it's not more well known.