Author Topic: Falling into Infinity is amazing  (Read 36606 times)

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
Re: Falling into Infinity is amazing
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 02:35:03 AM »
It's an alright album. The problem I have is that, for me, the album has some very high points but it also has some very low points. Rarely are the songs some where in the middle.
this

Offline Mladen

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2010, 02:52:16 AM »
It has some great work, a good amount of mediocre work, and a small amount of lame work.
Indeed.

If it were up to me, this is how I would have liked it to be:

Raise the knife
Cover my eyes
Peruvian skies
Hollow years (original version)
Burning my soul
Hell's kitchen
Lines in the sand
Trial of tears

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2010, 06:25:58 AM »
Nobody has mentioned just Let Me Breathe yet...  :-\

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2010, 06:42:34 AM »
It's an awesome song. The song that hooked me into infinity.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2010, 07:03:44 AM »
Nobody has mentioned just Let Me Breathe yet...  :-\

I like it!

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:42 AM »
That trade off bit with John and Derek is fuck yeah.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »
Falling into Infinity is amazing

Yes, it is.  And, yet, it's still in the bottom 3 or 4 DT albums on my list.  That's how amazing this band is. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2010, 10:03:42 AM »
Falling Into Infinity is hands-down the best-sounding DT album.  Shirley did an amazing job on the mix.

It has some of DT's best material (Lines In The Sand, Trial of Tears, Hell's Kitchen), but also some of it worst dreck (Just Let Me Breathe, Burning My Soul, You Not Me) and some average-at-best pseudo-pop (Hollow Years, Take Away My Pain), along with a handful of decent-to-pretty good songs (New Millenium, Peruvian Skies, Anna Lee).  The quality level is just too uneven for me rank it as one of their best. 

Not to mention that gems like Raise The Knife and Speak To Me (among others) were left off.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2010, 10:18:37 AM »
As simple as they are, I quite enjoy Just Let Me Breathe and Burning My Soul.  Although they were the pre-cursor to Constant Motion and Never Enough, they have an intensity and drive that newer DT lacks, imo.

You Not Me is in my opinion the only real miss.  But it is frustrating at times to think how much greater the album could have been.  Still, #3 in my books.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
It has some of DT's best material (Lines In The Sand, Trial of Tears, Hell's Kitchen), but also some of it worst dreck (Just Let Me Breathe, Burning My Soul, You Not Me) and some average-at-best pseudo-pop (Hollow Years, Take Away My Pain), along with a handful of decent-to-pretty good songs (New Millenium, Peruvian Skies, Anna Lee).  The quality level is just too uneven for me rank it as one of their best. 

I think all of that is a true product of a lot of struggles that the band was involved in at the time, whether it be the band struggling with a bit of an identity crisis, the band vs. label struggle, or some of the other things they were going through.  It remains a very interesting time in the band's history that produced some very interesting music.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2010, 10:26:19 AM »

I think all of that is a true product of a lot of struggles that the band was involved in at the time, whether it be the band struggling with a bit of an identity crisis, the band vs. label struggle, or some of the other things they were going through.  It remains a very interesting time in the band's history that produced some very interesting music.
Oh, I agree with you in all of that, and it remains a fascinating listen for me. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2010, 10:36:51 AM »
I know I'm in the minority but the only thing that was left out of the album that should have been on is Speak to Me and Cover My Eyes. Still, there isn't a song on that album that I would rate below 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
I know I'm in the minority but the only thing that was left out of the album that should have been on is Speak to Me and Cover My Eyes. Still, there isn't a song on that album that I would rate below 7 or 7.5 out of 10.

:tup I totally agree with you

Speak to Me and Cover My Eyes are fantastic songs, and definitely much better than some of the songs on the album.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #48 on: June 07, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »
I think the thing that most hurt the CD as whole was hearing the demos...

Just made me think of what could have been...

Offline Dcrupi

« Reply #49 on: June 07, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »
Hell's Kitchen and Trial of Tears alone make this album awesome.

The rest makes for an interesting listen.  Although it is incredible uneven on the quality scale, as bosk said, it is very representative of where the band was at the time.  

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2010, 12:15:36 PM »
 Trial of Tears is "bad" because it just doesn't go anywhere.  I hate the lyrics, the song is poorly constructed, James sounds really annoying and the guitar solo is just wanking.  You Not Me is just AWFUL, plain and simple.  

You spelled A nightmare to remember wrong
:neverusethis:

IS THIS REAL WORLD OR WHERE AM I?

I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2010, 12:57:10 PM »
While most people say that the album is a balance of amazing vs some of their worst songs, I cry 'nay!' And respond that the better songs are actually in the very tippity top tier of DT material. Sure it has it's 'You Not Me's, but it has it's 'Lines In The Sand's which is, in my opinion, one of the top 10 DT songs if not higher. I agree that the album is amazing, and I think that the good moooore than balances out the bad. Unlike Systematic Chaos for me.

Offline perfectchaos180

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2010, 02:09:13 PM »
I think that Take Away My Pain is very underrated. It is one of my favorites of the album and I could just listen to the singing all day.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »
I think that Take Away My Pain is very underrated. It is one of my favorites of the album and I could just listen to the singing all day.

I agree, it's an underrated song :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »
I personally hate terms like "underrated" and "overrated" because I think they are pretty meaningless and have an air of "I'm superior to most people out there because only I seem to understand the true value of such and such whereas most other people have it all wrong." 

But, yes, it is a terrific song.  I prefer the demo version to the album version.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
I personally hate terms like "underrated" and "overrated" because I think they are pretty meaningless and have an air of "I'm superior to most people out there because only I seem to understand the true value of such and such whereas most other people have it all wrong." 

But, yes, it is a terrific song.  I prefer the demo version to the album version.

I totally agree, and I also prefer the demo version to the album version, though it's overrated.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2010, 03:36:57 PM »
demo version is the intended version. Yeah falling into infinity is in my top 5 DT albums, it's nice to hear them tone down a bit and just chill on their instruments. I wish they would approach the laid backness of Hollow Years, Anna Lee on their new stuff. Good ol' Prog Rock. Something just tells me they won't stop the metal for awhile.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 07:37:32 AM »
I like the beginning of Trial of Tears, up until the, "hidden by disguise" part, then the entire song just falls apart.  It almost seems like they had a really good song going, then had no idea where to go from there..... and, they came up with..... what they came up with. 

Aww come on, The Wasteland is one of the best endings they've come up with.

Did you mean the best ending The Beatles came up with?

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2010, 09:16:16 AM »
Great: Trial Of Tears, New Millenium
Good: Peruvian Skies, Lines In The Sand, Hollow Years (can get boring after awhile though)
Mediocre: Just Let Me Breathe, Burning My Soul, Take Away My Pain
Bad: You Not Me, Anna Lee,

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »
Great: Trial Of Tears, New Millenium
Good: Peruvian Skies, Lines In The Sand, Hollow Years (can get boring after awhile though)
Mediocre: Just Let Me Breathe, Burning My Soul, Take Away My Pain
Bad: You Not Me, Anna Lee,

No Hell's Kitchen and Lines In The Sand not at the top.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 12:30:02 PM »
Jesus, really? Have you never seen me post before?

I haven't. Who are you?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2010, 12:31:30 PM »

I haven't. Who are you?

I bolded the answer.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2010, 01:39:16 PM »

I haven't. Who are you?

I bolded the answer.

No...

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2010, 04:19:38 PM »
For some reason that picture is incredibly disturbing.

Wait, it's his expression, he looks like JP's hiding something, or knows something I don't.  :-[

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2010, 07:46:01 PM »
I like the beginning of Trial of Tears, up until the, "hidden by disguise" part, then the entire song just falls apart.  It almost seems like they had a really good song going, then had no idea where to go from there..... and, they came up with..... what they came up with. 

Aww come on, The Wasteland is one of the best endings they've come up with.

Did you mean the best ending The Beatles came up with?

That doesn't even make sense.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2010, 08:19:32 PM »
Yes, it does.  He's saying that it sounds like The Beatles, which is true.  I'd say it's more Floyd, though. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2010, 08:34:01 PM »
Yes, it does.  He's saying that it sounds like The Beatles, which is true.  I'd say it's more Floyd, though. 
The wasteland SOUNDS NOTHING like tghe beatles really, i dont know waht beatles are we talking about.
And it's actually REALLY Floydish so im with you there.

Offline In The Name Of Rudess

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2010, 02:06:57 AM »
The wasteland SOUNDS NOTHING like tghe beatles really, i dont know waht beatles are we talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3RYvO2X0Oo

So this doesn't sound like the Wasteland you say? The melody is exactly the same.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2010, 08:37:04 AM »
I can hear the similarities.  I think "Wasteland" is melodically the Beatles, but atmospherically Floyd (if that makes sense). 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2010, 08:45:39 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3RYvO2X0Oo

So this doesn't sound like the Wasteland you say? The melody is exactly the same.

You are kidding, right?