Author Topic: Falling into Infinity is amazing  (Read 36599 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Falling into Infinity is amazing
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2010, 10:38:47 AM »
Going back and listening to this material makes me realize how much I miss Derek Sherinian's style of keyboards.  He really made his mark within the short time he was with DT.  Good stuff.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2010, 11:18:17 AM »
I used to HATE Burning My Soul, but that keyboard solo is phenominal.  I don't want to turn this into a "this keyboard player vs. that keyboard player" thread, but that solo really makes me miss the old style of DT's soloing, where it wasn't ONLY about chops and who can play the fastest.  I think Derek's solo in Burning My Solo is more tasteful than most of Jordadn's new DT solos. 

Wow.  Between the first post and this one, I was pleasantly surprised that this could be the very first time, ever, that we actually agree about something.  Then you went and badmouthed Trial of Tears and blew my euphoria.

This post is dead on, though, and it's exactly the reason why I've always preferred DS over the other two keyboard players.  The guy just liked to rock out.  He had a more organic style that provided a much more musical aspect that the later albums lacked.  Because of that, I've always been a big fan of the album. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2010, 11:35:59 AM »
I used to HATE Burning My Soul, but that keyboard solo is phenominal.  I don't want to turn this into a "this keyboard player vs. that keyboard player" thread, but that solo really makes me miss the old style of DT's soloing, where it wasn't ONLY about chops and who can play the fastest.  I think Derek's solo in Burning My Solo is more tasteful than most of Jordadn's new DT solos. 

Wow.  Between the first post and this one, I was pleasantly surprised that this could be the very first time, ever, that we actually agree about something.  Then you went and badmouthed Trial of Tears and blew my euphoria.

This post is dead on, though, and it's exactly the reason why I've always preferred DS over the other two keyboard players.  The guy just liked to rock out.  He had a more organic style that provided a much more musical aspect that the later albums lacked.  Because of that, I've always been a big fan of the album. 

^^yup^^

when it was about writing great songs.
no derek fan is going to tell you he's musically more gifted than Jordan. It's not about that.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2010, 11:40:27 AM »

^^yup^^

when it was about writing great songs.
no derek fan is going to tell you he's musically more gifted than Jordan. It's not about that.

Agree'd with everything, And the derek thing its so true, he is not "musically better" but he plays more tasteful stuff.
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
I can think of maybe one or two people who might be more musically gifted than JR, and it would require some real thought, but I can easily name a ton of keyboard players I like a lot more. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »
Obviously Derek was a competent player, but his importance to the band had nothing to do with playing, but everything thing to do with showing the band what a true professional rock musician was. I think his personality lended itself to really blending everyone else's during that turmultuous time. While there were some certain differences of direction, my guess is that Derek got along with everyone.

He's almost like that one scene character that enhances the authenticity of a certain film.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
I am not a really big fan of Old DT
*faints in shock*

It's my opinion

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2010, 04:30:09 PM »
yes, we know.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »
I think if it came down to raw skill, Rudess would win, and he deserves to; the guy went to f***ing Julliard when he was NINE, and has been a genius at the piano for forty years!

On another note, however, I do think that each keyboard player in DT had their own unique sound, and I like the three of them equally.

Fortunately, it doesn't just come down to raw skill (see: chops and technical skill), otherwise everyone would be talking about how much better a guitar player Yngwie Malmsteen is than David Gilmour.  :biggrin:

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2010, 08:27:24 PM »
Though it contains many of their more mediocre songs (by DT standards), FII is still a great album.

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: June 16, 2010, 09:36:24 PM »
I think if it came down to raw skill, Rudess would win, and he deserves to; the guy went to f***ing Julliard when he was NINE, and has been a genius at the piano for forty years!

On another note, however, I do think that each keyboard player in DT had their own unique sound, and I like the three of them equally.

Fortunately, it doesn't just come down to raw skill (see: chops and technical skill), otherwise everyone would be talking about how much better a guitar player Yngwie Malmsteen is than David Gilmour.  :biggrin:

Fine you win.
But they are all great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2012, 04:42:45 PM »
Does anyone else think that 3:36 of New Millennium hints at Scenes From A Memory ?

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
Probably my fave album from start to finish, no throw away tracks.  :metal Very well thought out and put together no matter what anyone says.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »
Makes me also think I need to get the demo two disc version of this album.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline MadImmortalMan

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2012, 06:15:02 PM »
I really like this album. It has a few bad tracks which most everyone here has mentioned, but the high points are absolutely stellar and make up for the mediocrity. I also don't have much of a problem with the production. The album's probably my 6th or 7th favorite.
There's no time for a conscience And we recognize no crime Yeah we've got dogs and Valvoline It's a pretty damn good time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2012, 06:19:27 PM »
Does anyone else think that 3:36 of New Millennium hints at Scenes From A Memory ?

Offline MadImmortalMan

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

I always thought that part sounded like Home. It has everything but the girl moaning  :lol
There's no time for a conscience And we recognize no crime Yeah we've got dogs and Valvoline It's a pretty damn good time

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2012, 06:30:02 PM »
Yeah exactly. :P

Offline theGonz

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2012, 07:24:52 PM »
Its more digestable than most DT albums but I wouldn't recommend it as the first album for a new fan.
*epic instrumental section*

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Trail of Tears  :hefdaddy

Peruvian Skies, Lines in the Sand, Hell's Kitchen, Anna Lee, Hollow Years  ;D

New Millennium, Take Away My Pain, You Not Me  :-\

Just Let Me Breathe, Burning My Soul  :sadpanda:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »
Get rid of all the songs except New Millennium, Peruvian Skies, Hell's Kitchen, Lines In The Sand, Just Let Me Breathe (haters gonna hate), and Trial of Tears and make Hollow Years sound more like the Live at Budokan version and you've got a short but amazing album.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2012, 09:54:16 PM »
MP's drumming on this album is very good. In fact, it's one of his strongest.

Offline theGonz

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »
That trade off bit with John and Derek on JLMB is fuck yeah.

Thats prob the only part of the song I don't like. Sounds much better when played live.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »

Thats prob the only part of the song I don't like. Sounds much better when played live.

What's the difference?

Not a rhetorical question.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2012, 10:57:29 PM »

Nope.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59:29 PM »
It's literally nothing like Scenes From a Memory.

Online Adami

« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »
It's literally nothing like Scenes From a Memory.

But it is slightly middle eastern sounding! Just like Home!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theGonz

« Reply #132 on: June 06, 2012, 11:01:08 PM »

What's the difference?

They don't trade off live

Online Adami

« Reply #133 on: June 06, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »

What's the difference?

Ohhhh gotcha. I usually ignore any live versions (or recorded) of that song lol.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #134 on: June 06, 2012, 11:12:45 PM »

What's the difference?

I prefer the studio version with the tradeoff. I love the song either way though. The LSFNY version is why I got into FII in the first place. :hat
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2012, 01:50:52 AM »
FII is indeed amazing, and it was the first DT album I bought. It contains so many beatiful songs that the two total trainwrecks (YNM, JLMB) aren't really that important. Sure, it could have been better if those had been replaced by RTK and STM, but it's still a very good album.

Anna Lee is fantastic.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2012, 02:59:54 AM »
This is the last album i've heard before being able to listen to the albums at the time they came out, so coming from TOT, it was a strange album at first.

But man, it is a great album. JM, MP and DS absolutely slay on FII, and the production is awesome.
DS gave the band such a great diversity and atmosphere, which i feel they lacked after his departure.
I love FII, although i don't like some songs very much (TAMP especially) but it was such a creative album, and it felt like the result of amazing jams.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2012, 07:11:41 AM »
Hell's Kitchen + Lines in the Sand is pretty amazing. Much of the rest of the album is terrible though.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
Even Trial of Tears? That's like the best song on the album.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2012, 08:54:47 AM »
Even Trial of Tears? That's like the best song on the album.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.