Author Topic: 2011/12 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 105392 times)

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: Setlist Predictions/Wishlist Thread
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:21 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I really think that either Pull Me Under, Metropolis, or Learning to Live need to be played during the encore of every show.

No thanks...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2010, 10:09:11 AM »
Learning to Live maybe, but some rest wouldn't hurt PMU and Metropolis.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2010, 10:37:51 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I really think that either Pull Me Under, Metropolis, or Learning to Live need to be played during the encore of every show.

I've thought something along these lines before.  It seems like there are some DT songs that are fan and band favorites that everyone seems to love.  If I went to my first DT show, and I didn't see one of those songs, I would be disappointed.  For example, I am thankful beyond belief that I got to hear Metropolis, their signature song, at my first DT show.  Seems like it would be a natural encore choice.  But the cool thing about DT is that any of the epic album enders could be an encore and most people would be happy (unless its ITPOE)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »
I just want The Killing Hand. *fingers crossed*

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2010, 11:26:21 AM »
Learning to Live maybe, but some rest wouldn't hurt PMU and Metropolis.

Offline NickySpanjaards

« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2010, 04:34:52 PM »
I just want The Killing Hand. *fingers crossed*

Yeah me too, they didn't play it for 5 years now!

Offline jag66

« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
I'd take Metropolis, LTL or ACOS any day over the medley of the 3 they did last tour.

I'm pretty sure that without Mike taking control we'll see them play some different stuff. IMO they shouldn't play any SC/TOT and give some of the older/less metal stuff a go..

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2010, 03:42:14 PM »
My somewhat-educated guess is that they will mix things up, but not nearly as drastically as they used to.  I think it will probably be along the lines of either rotating between two static set lists or having most of the set static, but having a 2-4 song section of the set where they rotate a handful of songs. 

I disagree.  For as much music as they have, that's far too predictable, IMO.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2010, 06:36:49 PM »
My somewhat-educated guess is that they will mix things up, but not nearly as drastically as they used to.  I think it will probably be along the lines of either rotating between two static set lists or having most of the set static, but having a 2-4 song section of the set where they rotate a handful of songs. 

I agree...this is similar to the last 2 albums' tours.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2010, 10:35:58 PM »
Now that someone other than Mike will be making the set lists, I just hope in my heart of hearts that they finally ban Hollow Years from all future sets for the next decade or so.  It's not nearly a good enough song for how often they play it.  And ban Another Day as well.  The vocals are impossible to pull off live. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2010, 11:26:49 PM »
I hope that there's tons of songs Petrucci or LaBrie or Myung want to play but that Portnoy didn't allow.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Adami

« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2010, 11:28:13 PM »
The only song I haven't seen DT play that I REALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLY want to see them play is ACOS.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »
Now that someone other than Mike will be making the set lists, I just hope in my heart of hearts that they finally ban Hollow Years from all future sets for the next decade or so.  It's not nearly a good enough song for how often they play it.  And ban Another Day as well.  The vocals are impossible to pull off live. 
This.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2010, 03:12:03 PM »
I wonder if they'll play extended parts
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline LTE

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2010, 04:40:12 PM »
I think it will be interesting to see the rest of the band pick songs that Mike wouldn't necessarily allow, or they just never spoke up about playing.

Or, assuming they find a good drummer who is a DT-fan, it would be very interesting to see the new drummer choose some of the songs on the sets.
We are a way for the universe to know itself.
 I suffer from moderate/severe Depersonalization.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:21 PM »
???  Mike never disallowed any song as far as I know.  He expressed that he didn't think it would be appropriate to play Space Dye Vest and has said he hates You Not Me, but that's it.  In fact, it's pretty much because of Mike and Mike only that some of WDADU, any of the Majesty stuff, and a few other songs have ever gotten played.  I can almost guarantee we'll never see another Majesty song now that Mike is out of the band because JP hates that stuff. 

Online Adami

« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »
???  Mike never disallowed any song as far as I know.  He expressed that he didn't think it would be appropriate to play Space Dye Vest and has said he hates You Not Me, but that's it.  In fact, it's pretty much because of Mike and Mike only that some of WDADU, any of the Majesty stuff, and a few other songs have ever gotten played.  I can almost guarantee we'll never see another Majesty song now that Mike is out of the band because JP hates that stuff. 

Fine by me, I kinda hope they stop playing rare songs like that and give more focus to playing songs like Forsaken or TDEN. Seriously, just playing those two songs over and over for 3 hours will make me a happy man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2010, 10:02:20 AM »
Since Petrucci hates medleys, those will probably fall by the wayside.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2010, 10:44:30 AM »
I have mixed feeling about that.  I have nothing against medleys in general.  Some of DT's were pretty good.  The Big Medley is pretty awesome.  Instrumedley was cool, but got old after one tour and shouldn't have been carried over.  Schmedley Wilcox was a good way to sample some good material that otherwise wouldn't have made it into the set.  But when they are done too often or done in such as way that they minimize the impact of the songs (such as the I&W medleys they've done over the years with parts of PMU, LTL, and/or Metropolis), I would rather not have them.

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2010, 11:08:14 AM »
I actually am fine with some time going by without any more medleys. I think we've had quite enough for a while.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2010, 11:09:03 AM »
Since Petrucci hates medleys, those will probably fall by the wayside.
I hate medleys too. Give me a proper song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2010, 04:17:59 PM »
MP disallowed Anna Lee and Hell's Kitchen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »
What, what what?!

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: September 23, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »
HEll's KItchen?! :S :O :O What was he thinking?!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #94 on: September 23, 2010, 02:41:10 PM »
I really hope they come here when they tour and play Prophets of War, the one song I want to see just for this part

"The only thing that I believe will help us see this through is faith. Pray they will forgive, forgive our arrogance so we can make it right. Right what they have wronged."

Other than the lyrics I think it's fun song that I bet the guys liked to play live now they played it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #95 on: September 24, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »

Prove it. I want links, because what your claiming is complete BS. What Bosk said is true - kiss goodbye any of the variety that we were used to enjoying. Not only is the Majesty stuff gone, but so is WDaDU, the FII outtakes and anything remotely rare. MP was the reason why we enjoyed the variety we saw in the setlists.

It's just you.   :tdwn
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »
What Bosk said is true - kiss goodbye any of the variety that we were used to enjoying. Not only is the Majesty stuff gone, but so is WDaDU, the FII outtakes and anything remotely rare. MP was the reason why we enjoyed the variety we saw in the setlists.
NOOO!!! I would love to see them playing WDADU songs!  :'( But if they don't like those songs, then they shouldn't play them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »

Prove it. 

I am pretty sure that neither has been played since Jordan Rudess joined the band, aside from "Hell's Kitchen" being part of the "Instrumedley" and some of it being played in the demo of "Burning My Soul."  Since Portnoy was the writer of all set lists, that is all of the proof you need.  Maybe he didn't disallow them per se, but the fact that you didn't see either of them in 11 years of touring ('99-'10) says it all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2010, 04:37:50 PM »

Prove it. I want links, because what your claiming is complete BS.
Oh come on, Scotty.  He made the setlists, and they were never in them.  If he didn't disallow them, who did? 

You're completely right about the variety of songs in the setlists.  The demo versions, outtakes, and older songs were only there because MP wanted them there.  But the songs that WEREN'T there were likewise because he DIDN'T want them there.  Because, again, he was the one who made the setlists.  Not sure why you're getting so defensive or confrontational.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2010, 04:39:55 PM »
No WDADU songs? :(

But that kills my chance of ever seeing Ytse Jam or A Fortune in Lies...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2010, 04:42:50 PM »

I suggest Images & Words: Live In Tokyo.

Online Adami

« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »

Prove it. I want links, because what your claiming is complete BS.
Oh come on, Scotty.  He made the setlists, and they were never in them.  If he didn't disallow them, who did? 

You're completely right about the variety of songs in the setlists.  The demo versions, outtakes, and older songs were only there because MP wanted them there.  But the songs that WEREN'T there were likewise because he DIDN'T want them there.  Because, again, he was the one who made the setlists.  Not sure why you're getting so defensive or confrontational.

WHERE IS YOUR PROOF!!?!?!?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »

But I want to see it in person :(

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2010, 09:05:26 PM »

But I want to see it in person :(
I suggest a DeLorean with an in-dash flux capacitor.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »
wow :rollin