Author Topic: 2011/12 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 105597 times)

Offline ThroughHerEyesDude6

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
Re: Setlist Predictions/Wishlist Thread
« Reply #140 on: October 09, 2010, 06:25:49 PM »
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence Pt. II: About to Crash

FTFY

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2010, 07:34:11 PM »
I would like to see lines in the sand.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2010, 08:48:14 AM »
Whatever DT plays live, I am always in other world (maybe Octavarium would blow my head up)
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #143 on: October 10, 2010, 08:22:17 PM »
How could i forget blind faith
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline robwebster

« Reply #144 on: October 12, 2010, 04:48:17 AM »
About To Crash isn't a song :neverusethis:
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence Pt. II: About to Crash

FTFY
...let me fix my post.

These are all the sort of "slightly uncommon" bits of coherent soundnoise which can, feasably, be played live on their own without necessitating the corresponding movements of the particular song that they have been removed from, just as they can be listened to on their own (and have even been separately indexed to facilitate the possibility), and have been played on their own live more often than not on the most recent tour anyway (see also, Solitary Shell), so could very easily constitute individual songs were it not for the bigger picture that they belong to - but pedantry aside these are the chunks of music with their own separate names and choruses and what have you that I've always wanted to see. Some of them I've seen and been psyched about, some of them I haven't.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2010, 03:29:18 PM »
So you could say 6doit is a suite about mental illness's

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2010, 09:24:42 PM »
The Final Countdown

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2010, 01:02:57 AM »

Offline jsem

« Reply #148 on: October 14, 2010, 02:34:14 PM »
Learning to Live or maybe Stream of Consciousness.

• Studio Artist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Art keeps me alive
« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2010, 03:29:35 AM »
So you could say 6doit is a suite about mental illness's

Doesn't a suite dictate more than one song?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #150 on: October 15, 2010, 06:35:39 AM »
SIX DEGREES OF INNER TURBULENCE IS ONE SONG GODDAMMIT

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #151 on: October 17, 2010, 01:34:23 PM »
Was mike the only one who wanted to take a break from evening with shows

Offline Ħ

« Reply #152 on: October 17, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
Was mike the only one who wanted to take a break from evening with shows

I think JR said he didn't like it either...maybe the others too.  I imagine it being a major stress on James.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: October 17, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »
Maybe it's just me, but I really think that either Pull Me Under, Metropolis, or Learning to Live need to be played during the encore of every show.

It's just you.   :tdwn

WOW. 

I mean, god forbid every night the band encore with one of these three classics which EVERYONE loves.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »
I've felt that either Metropolis, Pull Me Under, and/or the Spirit Carries On should be played at nearly every DT show.  Those are pretty much the three biggest universal "hits" they have, but I wouldn't be thrilled with the encore being those songs all the time.  I like the varied setlists too much, and I'd rather see some different encores now and then.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #155 on: October 18, 2010, 05:35:30 AM »
Maybe it's just me, but I really think that either Pull Me Under, Metropolis, or Learning to Live need to be played during the encore of every show.

It's just you.   :tdwn

WOW. 

I mean, god forbid every night the band encore with one of these three classics which EVERYONE loves.

That's exactly right - one of the things I love about DT's setlists is that they are unpredictable, and what you are suggesting kills that very thing. Don't get me wrong - LtL is my favorite DT song of all time, but do I want to hear it at every show? No.

Does DT play each of those 3 songs enough? Absolutely - so there's no need to have some silly requirement that one of them be played at every show, and especially at a certain point in the show.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: October 18, 2010, 06:32:09 AM »
Yeah, but Scotty, I think the thing you have to remember is that Images and Words and Awake still rank as favorites from older and newer fans alike. Those albums, for the majority of Dream Theater fans, almost always fall in the top 4 of anyone's list, no matter who you ask. That, and every night Dream Theater play, I'd guess that the majority of the crowd have not seen Dream Theater more than twice.

I'm not saying DT HAVE to play ALL those songs per night, but if it were my first time seeing DT as it was last year I'd have be sorely disappointed if I had seen one of those shows where, like a few on the last tour, there was NO pre-Scenes material AT ALL.

Sure Mike spoiled us fans but he was falling off, as most people who try and do it all eventually would. There were some shows, like I said, where there was NO pre-Jordan material played. Now if he were leaving room to debut new stuff, I'd say that's cool. I love the new stuff. Bring it on! Play all new stuff, and just encore with one or two old classics. I'm cool with that. Unfortunately, that's NOT what's been happening.

Case and point: Constant Motion, a song which almost everyone is sick of and has never really been that loved anyway, skyrocketted to one of the top most played Dream Theater songs ever this year.

Constant Motion, in the last three years, has been played more frequently than the following songs have been since they've been released: More than most of WDADU, half of Awake, half of Falling Into Infinity, half of Scenes, ALL of SDOIT, ALL of TOT Except As I Am, ALL of 8va except Panic Attack, ALL of SC, MORE than ANY Black Clouds song.

Even on the Black Clouds tour, Constant Motion was played more frequently than Black Clouds' single, "Wither." Constant Motion also ranked the 6TH most frequently played song on the BC&SL tour. What is up with that???

So, sure, I appreciate what Mike's done for us fans, even though I didn't get a chance to see most of the best stuff he did. But am I sad that he's not going to making the setlists anymore? Honestly, not really. Actually, not at all, if what's gone on the past two albums' tours was any indication of what the future would be like. I'm sorry, but on festivals most bands give fans the classics to make up for short setlists. Instead, we got some shows where there were NO classics and songs like Constant Motion rammed down our throats for the 150th (literally) time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #157 on: October 18, 2010, 10:01:26 AM »
Yeah, but Scotty, I think the thing you have to remember is that Images and Words and Awake still rank as favorites from older and newer fans alike. Those albums, for the majority of Dream Theater fans, almost always fall in the top 4 of anyone's list, no matter who you ask. That, and every night Dream Theater play, I'd guess that the majority of the crowd have not seen Dream Theater more than twice.

So?  The fact that two albums are in a lot of people's top 4 seems like a relatively obscure statistic that doesn't really prove much.

Constant Motion, in the last three years, has been played more frequently than the following songs have been since they've been released: More than most of WDADU, half of Awake, half of Falling Into Infinity, half of Scenes, ALL of SDOIT, ALL of TOT Except As I Am, ALL of 8va except Panic Attack, ALL of SC, MORE than ANY Black Clouds song.

As it should be since it is one of their best songs and is as close to a "classic" as a progressive metal band is likely to have.  What's the problem?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #158 on: October 18, 2010, 10:43:14 AM »
Wow do you really think Constant Motion is one of their best songs?

I thought you were better than that :P

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #159 on: October 18, 2010, 05:13:40 PM »
Dang, I never got back to responding in this thread.  Probably because I rarely check this section of the board...:lol

JLB mentioned on the 5YIAL commentary how great it would be to do something like that again, but predictably it never happened, probably because Portnoy didn't want to do it.  With him out of the band and no longer calling the shots, hopefully they will do something like that again, even if it is just a handful of shows.

How quick we are to ASSume....

Actually, when I interview MP a little over a year ago (which I believe might actually see the light of day relatively soon, if the next issue of Voices does in fact come out soon...), this came up in the course of our conversation. Here's an excerpt from the interview:

SH: Speaking of the evening with shows, would you ever consider doing a tour where you do part of a set semi-acoustically, similar to how you did the Home for the Holidays shows in 1998 to maybe lighten things up a bit so that you could catch your breath?

MP: You know, that’s a good point. I hadn’t considered that for the “catching your breath” factor, but it does make sense. Yeah. I saw the thread wondering if we would ever do a tour like that again. Even for those shows, for those of you around back then when we did them, they were met with skepticism. Now a lot of people can see the DVD and say that was cool and awesome. But I remember at those shows having to take the mic and say “look – if you came for Pull Me Under and Metropolis, leave now – we’re not doing them.” And I remember a lot of people bitching and moaning “I went and saw Dream Theater and all they did was sit there and play all these songs I never heard before.” So yeah, the hardcore fans wanna hear the B-sides like Where Are You Now and covers like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but the majority of fans coming to see Dream Theater weren’t digging it. They went away kind of disappointed. So we can never win. *laughs*

SH: Well, the mini-set might be kind of a cool compromise.

MP: Yes, within an evening with that wouldn’t be a bad idea.

So Mike was NOT against the idea of doing such shows - only how they would be perceived by the general fanbase (much the same way you brought up about the WDaDU tracks) and would've probably included such a mini-set in the next Evening With tour, had he been a part of it. Now, it's anybody's guess what will happen.

Okay, but we will never know.  Looks like you are ASSuming, too, as going from what Portnoy said to saying it probably wouldn't been included on the next tour when we will now never know is an awfully big leap. :biggrin:

Case and point: Constant Motion, a song which almost everyone is sick of and has never really been that loved anyway, skyrocketted to one of the top most played Dream Theater songs ever this year.

Even on the Black Clouds tour, Constant Motion was played more frequently than Black Clouds' single, "Wither." Constant Motion also ranked the 6TH most frequently played song on the BC&SL tour. What is up with that???

So, sure, I appreciate what Mike's done for us fans, even though I didn't get a chance to see most of the best stuff he did. But am I sad that he's not going to making the setlists anymore? Honestly, not really. Actually, not at all, if what's gone on the past two albums' tours was any indication of what the future would be like. I'm sorry, but on festivals most bands give fans the classics to make up for short setlists. Instead, we got some shows where there were NO classics and songs like Constant Motion rammed down our throats for the 150th (literally) time.

Excellent points.  It seemed like DT set list had gotten more predictable in recent years, with some exceptions of course, which maybe spoke about Portnoy's alleged disenchantment with the group.  Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, hopefully the rest of the band realizes what a stinker "Constant Motion" is and puts it to sleep for good (or at least mostly for good).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: October 18, 2010, 07:01:08 PM »
One thing I started thinking about today... Mixing up the set list every night might not be possible with the new drummer. The new drummer is not going to be able to learn all of DT's discography before the tour. My guess is that at each show, we will see the entire album from beginning to end, and then most of the awesome closers; Metropolis, Learning to Live, In the Name Of God etc...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: October 18, 2010, 07:43:59 PM »
As it should be since it is one of their best songs and is as close to a "classic" as a progressive metal band is likely to have.  What's the problem?

Oh jeez. We're just not gonna agree.

I think Constant Motion is a terrible song. I understand why the band might have thought it'd be good to play in front of the Maiden fans, but, honestly, I don't think it worked to well for them. When Constant Motion came on I actually heard some guys next to me making fun of the band for just being a bunch of "Metallica clones."

That's what Constant Motion is: Dreamtallica.

Oh. Did I mention that I can't stand Metallica?

Either way, NO WAY Constant Motion is "as close to a classic as DT will ever have." Dream Theater already have plenty of classics, and I have a hard time imagining that they don't know which songs these are. Constant Motion isn't going to be one, ever.

Excellent points.  It seemed like DT set list had gotten more predictable in recent years, with some exceptions of course, which maybe spoke about Portnoy's alleged disenchantment with the group.  Maybe, maybe not.  Either way, hopefully the rest of the band realizes what a stinker "Constant Motion" is and puts it to sleep for good (or at least mostly for good).

Yeah. For MOST shows on the PN10 tour, it seemed like the "rotation" was just between Hollow Years/Sacrificed Sons and Erotomania-Voices/DOET-Home. Since PT09 was my first show, as well as the first show of the person I was with and most of the people around us and whom we talked with in line, I'm so glad that I got Metropolis and Voices on my first night, because the seemed to start phasing Metropolis out after that. The next week I saw them again and they encored with Tuscany while closing out with ITNOG. It was still cool, but I think closing the set with Tuscany and encoring with one of those big songs everyone loves like Metropolis was MUCH more effective.

One thing I started thinking about today... Mixing up the set list every night might not be possible with the new drummer. The new drummer is not going to be able to learn all of DT's discography before the tour. My guess is that at each show, we will see the entire album from beginning to end, and then most of the awesome closers; Metropolis, Learning to Live, In the Name Of God etc...

Honestly, I'd rather get standard sets if they're not gonna play any classics. As much as I love DT, since they have so much material if they're playing a shorter set I want to know what I'm getting myself into. If the next tour is another "one set" tour, I don't want to worry about whether my city is getting "Blind Faith" or "The Ministry of Lost Souls."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:53:37 PM by Perpetual Change »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #162 on: October 19, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »
Perp. I think we'll get something similar to the last 2 tours. 3 or 4 new album standards with another 8 to 10 songs that rotate and fill out the rest of the set.  From year to year, I don't want to see the same half a set.
Considering that they weren't doing Evening With shows, I thought the sets managed to stay fresh. It's true, however, that all sets are NOT created equal...
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #163 on: October 19, 2010, 07:38:52 PM »
Oh, I'm not saying that I don't like rotating sets, but when the band's got so much material and such a small time I'd much rather it be a given they play some classics. Heck, I'd go this far: the Black Clouds and Silver Linings shows would have been better if they played the new album in its entirety every night and just rotated an encore of Metropolis or Erotomania/Voices every night. That, I think, is better that a set where half of Black Clouds is played mixed in with some more Jordan era material and a Jordan-era encore.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #164 on: October 19, 2010, 08:03:29 PM »
I thought of another thing that's going to disappear along with Mike.  Live cover albums.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: October 19, 2010, 08:16:27 PM »
I thought of another thing that's going to disappear along with Mike.  Live cover albums.
Great..this just in..Avenged Sevenfold covered Moving Pictures last night!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #166 on: October 19, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »
Not that the cover albums weren't cool after the fact, but, the thing is, many people who went to those shows and found out they were getting "covers" were a little unpleasantly surprised.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
I thought of another thing that's going to disappear along with Mike.  Live cover albums.
Great..this just in..Avenged Sevenfold covered Moving Pictures last night!

Wait, for serious?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #168 on: October 20, 2010, 05:04:45 AM »
PC, as far as I know, they only did 1 or 2 shows with no pre-Jordan music.  You're making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2010, 08:43:01 AM »
ORLY?

I don't know. I didn't follow the sets every night, I just know that's how the sets were some nights. Maybe it isn't really that big of a deal, but if my first DT show featured only post-Scenes material I'd be very unhappy. Unless the setlist was an evening with feating all of Scenes, all of Six Degrees, and an encore of Octavarium and Tuscany.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2010, 04:53:51 AM »

ORLY?

I don't know. I didn't follow the sets every night, I just know that's how the sets were some nights. Maybe it isn't really that big of a deal, but if my first DT show featured only post-Scenes material I'd be very unhappy. Unless the setlist was an evening with feating all of Scenes, all of Six Degrees, and an encore of Octavarium and Tuscany.

my first dt show was @ PN09... Hollow Years was my only pre 1999 song. and its funny cuz i was really hoping to hear them end it with PMU or Metropolis or LTL or some form of medley. here was my set:

1.  A Nightmare to Remember
2.  A Rite of Passage
3.  Hollow Years '09
4.  Prophets of War
5.  Solitary Shell (w/ extended jam)
6.  Beyond This Life/
7.  Percussive Nation 2009/
8.  BTL Jam/
9.  Beyond This Life (reprise)
~~~encore~~~
10.  The Count of Tuscany

yes we got Steve Vai and Dweezil + JP and JR dueling, and a bunch of guys banging on portnoy's kit, but i much rather had something from I&W / Awake in there. And TCOT as an encore was the biggest let down i have ever had.

Hell even if they encored with ItNoG or something of that sort i woulda been happy
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2010, 05:52:40 AM »
And TCOT as an encore was the biggest let down i have ever had.

Wow..then you've had it pretty good so far..I think.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2010, 07:48:00 AM »
2.  A Rite of Passage
3.  Hollow Years '09
4.  Prophets of War
6.  Beyond This Life/
8.  BTL Jam/
~~~encore~~~

But this is a good point. If this was your first show, would you be happy? If DT posted this was going to be the setlist in advance, and you still hadn't bought your tickets yet, would you still buy 'em?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2010, 11:03:25 AM »
Perp, I hear you, but other than that setlist only being 7 songs, it's still a great set. The standards were ANTR,AROP, & TCOT. That only leaves 4 spots open. Though POW could be considered weak, how can anyone argue with Hollow Years, Solitary Shell, and Beyond This Life?
Regardless,
DT is a "can't miss" show. If you see them enough, you get such a variety. I'm not willing to give that back to see the SAME 2 or 3 songs EVERY time I see them.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2010, 11:06:55 AM »
ORLY?

my first dt show was @ PN09... Hollow Years was my only pre 1999 song. and its funny cuz i was really hoping to hear them end it with PMU or Metropolis or LTL or some form of medley. here was my set:

2.  A Rite of Passage
3.  Hollow Years '09
4.  Prophets of War
6.  Beyond This Life/
8.  BTL Jam/
~~~encore~~~

yes we got Steve Vai and Dweezil + JP and JR dueling, and a bunch of guys banging on portnoy's kit, but i much rather had something from I&W / Awake in there. And TCOT as an encore was the biggest let down i have ever had.

Hell even if they encored with ItNoG or something of that sort i woulda been happy

That was my first show, too.  And it was amazing.  The only problem was the 90-minute set.  But still, it was arguably the best set of the tour, with all the guest appearances and everything.  If not the best, than the most unique.