Author Topic: 2011/12 Setlist Predictions Thread  (Read 105389 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Re: Setlist Predictions/Wishlist Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2010, 08:37:50 AM »
only 5 more years...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2010, 01:52:07 PM »
All I can say is..it's good to have a Setlist Scotty sighting! :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2010, 10:09:40 PM »
Did everybody in the band hate the setlist variety except for mike? I doubt it, so it's unlikely to have a huge impact.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2010, 10:14:06 PM »
Did everybody in the band hate the setlist variety except for mike? I doubt it, so it's unlikely to have a huge impact.
I don't see how everyone is getting worked up over this. The revolving set-lists have always been a part of the Dream Theater live show and what makes going to a show almost completely unaware of the set (unless your on this board following the tour every second of your life, then you have a pretty damn good idea what will be played).
I think Dream Theater will continue to revolve the set-lists like always. We may not see Another Won again or possibly WDADU, but you never know. JP and the guys could decide one day, "Hell, let's play some old shit. Could be fun."
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #109 on: September 27, 2010, 10:25:25 AM »
Having seen Dream Theater 12 times one of my only disappointments has been only hearing ONE song off of When Dream and Day Unite. I really hope it doesn't end up being the only one I end up hearing.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: September 27, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
Then there should be a WDADU push at the other guys through JLB,JP, & JR's twitters and forum postings. I would say to just keep mentioning it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »

I know James loved having varied setlists, and JP said that they'll still do different setlists each night.  They're never going to throw away the changing setlists, because its such a live trademark for them.

@Scotty: I know you work(ed) closely with DT/MP (not really sure what your status is with MP's departure), but I think the other guys will still give us varied setlists.  Maybe they'll pull out stuff that rarely gets played anymore.  I'm sure Mike isn't the only person who wants to pull out FII demos and WDADU songs.  I can understand the others never playing Majesty stuff again, because, lets face it, how many people actually care about the Majesty demos and songs that aren't "Another Won?"  Maybe they would sound better with a live update, but I wouldn't miss them. 

Maybe they'll do a group setlist construction, so they can play the stuff they want to play, what fans would want to hear, and what James can sing.  That is probably the best decision they can come to regarding setlists.  Of course, this is all speculation because there are a lot of "maybes" in this post, but I'm kind of excited and optimistic about this aspect of DT's music as well as the new album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #112 on: September 27, 2010, 03:07:56 PM »
???  Mike never disallowed any song as far as I know.  He expressed that he didn't think it would be appropriate to play Space Dye Vest and has said he hates You Not Me, but that's it.  In fact, it's pretty much because of Mike and Mike only that some of WDADU, any of the Majesty stuff, and a few other songs have ever gotten played.  I can almost guarantee we'll never see another Majesty song now that Mike is out of the band because JP hates that stuff. 
MP disallowed Anna Lee and Hell's Kitchen.

Prove it. I want links, because what your claiming is complete BS.
Oh come on, Scotty.  He made the setlists, and they were never in them.  If he didn't disallow them, who did? 

I don't think anyone "disallowed" them.  "Not played for a long time" is not necessarily the same thing as "disallowing" them.  There are quite a few songs that have not been played in a while that Mike has said he would like to work back into the set lists at some point.  There's no reason to believe, at least from nothing I've seen, that leads me to believe those two songs would have eventually be played again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: September 27, 2010, 05:11:33 PM »
MP said that he considered Anna Lee too much of a DS song to play now.  That was on the commentary for 5YIAL.

It is well known what MP's opinions are on the changes made to the FII songs.  One of the biggest examples of those changes was the separation of HK out of BMS, and the writing of the ending of that song to complete it.  It hasn't been played since the FII tour, except for when it was used as the ending of Instrumedley.  Meanwhile, BMS with HK still a part of it has been played countless times.

I'm not making anything up.  I'm drawing conclusions based on known evidence.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »
Honestly, I'm not too bummed out. The focus should be from the start of their peak (I&W) to the present. I don't dislike WDADU, but at this point, only 2 members were on the record and if no one is really fending for material from it to be played live, why bother?
It's safe to say we'll still get extended jam sections, so I'm not worried. The demos/rarities aren't a big loss for me personally as I am no major fan of any specific track, and the majority of casual fans won't care much, so from a realistic side, it makes sense to stick to album tracks.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2010, 08:11:06 PM »
MP said that he considered Anna Lee too much of a DS song to play now.  That was on the commentary for 5YIAL.

It is well known what MP's opinions are on the changes made to the FII songs.  One of the biggest examples of those changes was the separation of HK out of BMS, and the writing of the ending of that song to complete it.  It hasn't been played since the FII tour, except for when it was used as the ending of Instrumedley.  Meanwhile, BMS with HK still a part of it has been played countless times.

I'm not making anything up.  I'm drawing conclusions based on known evidence.
You Or Me's not been played for ages, but he did state in the Ytse Jam liner notes that he was planning to bring it back, at some point. Sometimes a song that's not been played in ages is just a song that's not been played in ages. It don't think it's entirely fair to assume. Correlation does not imply causation, or something that's actually relevant, I don't know.

(That said, he was clearly never a fan of the decision to split Hell's Kitchen. They've played BMS '96 a whole lot. I think he's always been very precious about his role as an arranger. Ergo him being very grumpy during the FII sessions while JP was fairly content with it. I don't think he dislikes Hell's Kitchen, he just wants to play it the way that he originally designed it. He also found a place for the finale in the Instrumedley. He plays the music of Hell's Kitchen quite a lot. Just, rarely under that name.)

Offline delossantosj

• yomp
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2010, 10:29:43 PM »
ive always wanted to see under a glass moon live
myspace.com/delossantosj

i got armorgames

i got facebook.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #117 on: September 28, 2010, 04:20:17 AM »
You NOT Me hasn't been played since the FII tour, and even then only a few times.  You OR Me, which MP stated he would like to bring into future setlists, has NEVER been played live.  Again, showing his preference for the demo versions of FII material.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #118 on: September 28, 2010, 06:38:21 AM »
I want to see The Killing Hand on future setlist!

Offline robwebster

« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2010, 10:21:14 AM »
You NOT Me hasn't been played since the FII tour, and even then only a few times.  You OR Me, which MP stated he would like to bring into future setlists, has NEVER been played live.  Again, showing his preference for the demo versions of FII material.
That's kind of my point. Sometimes a song that doesn't get played is just a song that doesn't get played. Raise the Knife didn't get played until the Octavarium tour, it had the dubious honour of being one of the three songs that'd never been played live, in fact. Nobody disliked it, it just never happened. Same applied to YOM by the looks of things. I don't think there's any reason to necessarily believe that MP had banned Anna Lee or Hell's Kitchen. Can only be speculation. Could be a Raise the Knife, could be a Space-Dye Vest.

Might just be a question of semantics. If "just" is the right word.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »
^All that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2010, 12:16:20 PM »
To begin with, I agree with Rob Webster's last post and feel no need to add further to it.

I'm sure Mike isn't the only person who wants to pull out FII demos and WDADU songs.

I can't speak for certainty regarding the FII demos, but MP himself told me that he was the only one that pushed for the WDaDU tracks (and obviously Another Won on the 8v tour). Neither Jordan nor James has any vested interest in those songs, so it's fairly pointless to bring it up to them. And from what MP's said to me in the past, neither JP nor JM care about those old songs either. So you tell me if you'll see them in future setlists without MP. As for the FII tracks, MP was the one who paid attention to the rare songs - the band viewed such songs as of lesser quality than the ones that made it onto FII, so I'd expect that they will fall under the same category as the Majesty and WDaDU tracks.

I'm sure that there will be some rotating of songs, but I doubt it will be to the extent that we have seen within the last 8 years.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2010, 12:54:29 PM »
I think they'll bust some of WDaDU out at least, If fans show their love for them they might consider it but who knows
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2010, 09:58:01 PM »
I don't think WDADU gets a lot of love from the fans live, does it?  I think I remember them saying that a lot of the crowd had a WTF look on their faces for much of the When Dream and Day Reunite set.  Sure, you'll get a few people at any show who will go nuts over a WDADU song being played, but I suspect that most fans in attendance wouldn't care that much about hearing songs from an album they either don't know at all/that well or one they probably don't like as much as the others.

And I wouldn't say Portnoy paid too much attention to the rare tracks from FII, considering that except for "Raise the Knife" quite a bit on the OV tour and the original "Burning My Soul" getting played from time to time, none of those other "rare" songs have been played at all since Rudess joined the band (although "Speak to Me" might have been busted out a few times, IIRC).

The good news is that maybe they will someday do another show like the Rotterdam one.  JLB mentioned on the 5YIAL commentary how great it would be to do something like that again, but predictably it never happened, probably because Portnoy didn't want to do it.  With him out of the band and no longer calling the shots, hopefully they will do something like that again, even if it is just a handful of shows.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2010, 10:05:22 PM »
JLB mentioned on the 5YIAL commentary how great it would be to do something like that again, but predictably it never happened, probably because Portnoy didn't want to do it.  With him out of the band and no longer calling the shots, hopefully they will do something like that again, even if it is just a handful of shows.

How quick we are to ASSume....

Actually, when I interview MP a little over a year ago (which I believe might actually see the light of day relatively soon, if the next issue of Voices does in fact come out soon...), this came up in the course of our conversation. Here's an excerpt from the interview:

SH: Speaking of the evening with shows, would you ever consider doing a tour where you do part of a set semi-acoustically, similar to how you did the Home for the Holidays shows in 1998 to maybe lighten things up a bit so that you could catch your breath?

MP: You know, that’s a good point. I hadn’t considered that for the “catching your breath” factor, but it does make sense. Yeah. I saw the thread wondering if we would ever do a tour like that again. Even for those shows, for those of you around back then when we did them, they were met with skepticism. Now a lot of people can see the DVD and say that was cool and awesome. But I remember at those shows having to take the mic and say “look – if you came for Pull Me Under and Metropolis, leave now – we’re not doing them.” And I remember a lot of people bitching and moaning “I went and saw Dream Theater and all they did was sit there and play all these songs I never heard before.” So yeah, the hardcore fans wanna hear the B-sides like Where Are You Now and covers like Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, but the majority of fans coming to see Dream Theater weren’t digging it. They went away kind of disappointed. So we can never win. *laughs*

SH: Well, the mini-set might be kind of a cool compromise.

MP: Yes, within an evening with that wouldn’t be a bad idea.

So Mike was NOT against the idea of doing such shows - only how they would be perceived by the general fanbase (much the same way you brought up about the WDaDU tracks) and would've probably included such a mini-set in the next Evening With tour, had he been a part of it. Now, it's anybody's guess what will happen.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2010, 10:29:23 AM »
That all makes perfect sense to me.

Kev, on the issue of original versions of FII songs, I know they've done a few others as well.  I know the original version (or at least a cross between the original and album version) of Lines In The Sand has been done on a few different tours.  I'm almost positive there have been a couple of others as well, but I'm not coming up with anything off the top of my head.  But I know for sure LITS has been done more than once since Jordan joined.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
That all makes perfect sense to me.

Kev, on the issue of original versions of FII songs, I know they've done a few others as well.  I know the original version (or at least a cross between the original and album version) of Lines In The Sand has been done on a few different tours.  I'm almost positive there have been a couple of others as well, but I'm not coming up with anything off the top of my head.  But I know for sure LITS has been done more than once since Jordan joined.
They actually added the demo verse at the end of the song on the CiM tour. Might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is the version that's on CiM DVD.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2010, 01:28:59 PM »
It might be. Don't forget about the recent Hollow Years using the Demo pre-chorus.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ħ

« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2010, 12:28:08 PM »
@ hefdaddy

On the OiaLT Dvd, MP says that AL is his one of his favorite songs that they've written up to that point.  I don't know if he would just disallow it.  I mean, what reason would he have for that?

Although, didn't they disallow Disappear since it was too emotional or something?  Could be for the same reason...
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2010, 01:56:28 PM »
Trial of Tears.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #130 on: October 06, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
@ hefdaddy

On the OiaLT Dvd, MP says that AL is his one of his favorite songs that they've written up to that point.  I don't know if he would just disallow it.  I mean, what reason would he have for that?
On that same DVD he mentioned that he thought it was too much of a Derek song to do now (notwithstanding the fact that JLB wrote the lyrics).

Although, didn't they disallow Disappear since it was too emotional or something?  Could be for the same reason...
No, that's not why they stopped doing Disappear.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #131 on: October 07, 2010, 05:23:31 AM »
MP said something like he wanted Disappear to be one of those rarefied (sp?) songs.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #132 on: October 07, 2010, 10:21:46 AM »
In my opinion, I think the AMOUNT of rotation will change, but the band will still mix things up.

Again I will say this -- WE WERE SPOILED. What MP did for fans was pure spoiling because he has never forgotten (nor stopped) BEING a fan. So he went that extra mile.

It really isn't fair to expect that from the rest of the guys, although I am sure they will pick up the slack TO AN EXTENT. But damn folks, we were spoiled for the better part of a decade. Enjoy what we got, appreciate that the ride will continue and be happy it does.

I'm not saying to stifle your voice if you have a negative opinion of what comes next in regard to live shows, but for God's sake, remember that 99 percent of bands out there did NOWHERE NEAR what MP did for us, and it isn't fair to expect that from the band, nor be angry if they don't.

The band will move on, with its great virtuoso-type playing, the set lists will have the classics and new material, and while things will be familiar, they will also be a bit different, both personality and chemistry-wise. So a big tip of the hat to Mike Portnoy, but at least from this fan, I'm not expecting, and nor will I be mad, if Dream Theater does things a little more "traditionally" in the future.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #133 on: October 07, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »
MP said something like he wanted Disappear to be one of those rarefied (sp?) songs.
Yup.

And I agree with Samsara.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2010, 03:59:00 AM »
I have two - Burning My Soul (FII Demos version, the one that has a part of Hell's Kitchen as it's instrumental break) and 6:00.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2010, 05:43:37 AM »
I'm not the only one who likes the Burning My Soul demo anymore?

:heart

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2010, 10:18:07 AM »
6:00

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #137 on: October 09, 2010, 10:32:35 AM »
I'm not the only one who likes the Burning My Soul demo anymore?

:heart
Absolutely not, there's not much I don't like in the FII demos. And I'd prefer to see this song over Hell's Kitchen itself personally...not only it'd turn out to be a unique setlist, but the song itself is so diverse with the aggressive sound and the amazing instrumental break.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #138 on: October 09, 2010, 10:56:07 AM »
WISHLIST
Take the Time
Surrounded
Don't Look Past Me
The Mirror /
Lie
Peruvian Skies
Raise the Knife
Cover My Eyes
Fatal Tragedy
Blind Faith
Misunderstood
About to Crash
Stream of Consciousness
In the Name of God
The Root of All Evil
These Walls
Sacrificed Sons
In the Presence of Enemies
Forsaken
Prophets of War

These are all the sort of "slightly uncommon" songs that I've always wanted to see. Some of them I've seen and been psyched about, some of them I haven't.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #139 on: October 09, 2010, 12:22:15 PM »
About To Crash isn't a song :neverusethis: