Author Topic: The Tea Party thread  (Read 12371 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The Tea Party thread
« on: June 04, 2010, 06:03:05 AM »
Any fans here of this amazing Canadian trio?

They were only really huge here in Australia and in Canada, I think they didn't break that much in USA or Europe.  Amazing alternate rock/blues/some prog/middle eastern/electronic band, they did everything.  Unfortunately they have split up now, Jeff Martin's head got too big and decided to go solo.  Unfortunately everything he has done since pales in comparison to the Tea Party's discography.  A truly unique, mesmerizing band that I absolutely love.  All their albums are magic.  Here's a few links to some of the best songs IMO.

Oh, and before anyone says anything, yes Jeff Martin looks and sounds like Jim Morrison.

Psychopomp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMZoiatUQJE

Fire in the Head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWvzyUhrdx8

The Bazaar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCye7v79Tz0

« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 04:37:12 PM by wolfking »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline elyster

Re: The Tea Party thread
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 07:11:05 AM »
Great band.  I discovered them right before they broke up.  Interzone Mantras and Seven Circles are my favorites of theirs.

But Jeff Martin has a new band called The Armada which is pretty much the same sound.  Good album too, kinda bluesy.  Check it out if you haven't already.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
Absolutely killer band. Been a fan since 2000. Never got an opportunity to see them live, but I own the entire catalog.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 10:09:59 AM »
This band sounds pretty cool. Probably be checking this out further.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
yes, I own almost everything by them. "Sister Awake" is an outstanding track.

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 04:18:51 PM »
This band sounds pretty cool. Probably be checking this out further.
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 03:57:02 AM »
Sweet.  I was contemplating making an appreciation thread for this band ever since Samsara mentioned them in the Nevermore thread.  Love The Tea Party.  I heard them around 1998 with Transmission.  I don't own their latter 2 cds, which I need to rectify.  You're right in saying that their style covers a lot of ground: rock, hard rock, alternative, prog, blues, world music, electronic, etc.  Plus, Jeff Martin is truly an amazing vocalist.  If anyone out there got the T.V. channel Much Music in the late 90's/early 2000's, The Tea Party were featured quite prominently at that time on the network.

And I had forgotten that they actually have a song called "Samsara."  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 08:18:19 AM »
Great band.  I discovered them right before they broke up.  Interzone Mantras and Seven Circles are my favorites of theirs.

But Jeff Martin has a new band called The Armada which is pretty much the same sound.  Good album too, kinda bluesy.  Check it out if you haven't already.

Yeah, the Armada was a nice surprise.  Not near the Tea Party league, but a lot of nice songs.  Much better than Exile and the Kingdom.  :(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 08:21:18 AM »
Sweet.  I was contemplating making an appreciation thread for this band ever since Samsara mentioned them in the Nevermore thread.  Love The Tea Party.  I heard them around 1998 with Transmission.  I don't own their latter 2 cds, which I need to rectify.  You're right in saying that their style covers a lot of ground: rock, hard rock, alternative, prog, blues, world music, electronic, etc.  Plus, Jeff Martin is truly an amazing vocalist.  If anyone out there got the T.V. channel Much Music in the late 90's/early 2000's, The Tea Party were featured quite prominently at that time on the network.

You need to get Seven Circle and Interzone Mantras, both amazing albums!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 06:47:37 AM »
Been listening to a bit of these guys again tonight, just thought I'd bump this thread because IMO they are such an underrated band.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 07:05:23 AM »
Listened to 2 of the songs in the OP (one was a broken link), and also a song called Stargazer.

There is something about the music that really strikes well with me. Want more.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 07:38:09 AM »
The Edges of Twilight is a fantastic album!  Love this band!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 08:39:59 AM »
Listened to 2 of the songs in the OP (one was a broken link), and also a song called Stargazer.

THEN GET MORE!!!  

I remember being a freshmen in college in 98 -- "Dawson's Creek" was just getting really popular, and The Tea Party had a song ("Transmission" I think) on one of the episodes.  I think that was the most prominence they ever had in the U.S.  :lol

I still need to pick up their debut and their last 2 albums, but I love the stuff I have by them.
 :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 04:55:04 PM »

I have added a live version of Fire in the Head for you.  They are an amazing trio, with every record quite different in style and atmosphere, but really all their albums are recommended.

Get Edges of Twilight, Transmission and Seven Cicles first, then get the rest.  Extraordinary band.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 04:55:43 PM »

I still need to pick up their debut and their last 2 albums, but I love the stuff I have by them.

You need to get these!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 10:50:28 AM »

Ha! That's right. My nickname isn't based off that song, but cool. I had forgotten as well.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 12:43:21 AM »
They were amazing. I was fortunate to see them perform in a fairly intimate setting around the Seven Circles timeframe. They played every one of my favorites (The Messenger, Psychopomp, Temptation, Transmission, Lullaby, Cathartik, Paint it Black, Heaven Coming Down) I was in heaven!

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 12:50:13 AM »
They were amazing. I was fortunate to see them perform in a fairly intimate setting around the Seven Circles timeframe. They played every one of my favorites (The Messenger, Psychopomp, Temptation, Transmission, Lullaby, Cathartik, Paint it Black, Heaven Coming Down) I was in heaven!

Very nice  :tup

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »

Holy shit, that is the makings of an amazing setlist.  Cathartik and Psychopomp ftw.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »
bump.

Their upcoming record "The Ocean at the End"  is coming out supposedly in the fall; the 1st single "Water's on Fire" was released this past week. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBFqgBRZDro

Really nice tune.

https://www.hmvdigital.ca/releases/3577591

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2014, 06:08:42 PM »
Thanks Soundscape, I didn't realise they were releasing a new album, this has me excited.  It's so great to see this band releasing more material.  I always thought they quit too early.  This tune is classic later Tea Party, very nice.  I hope there's some heavier stuff on there too though.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 03:51:54 AM »
Loved this band since "The Edges of Twilight" came out - it got a certain amount of promotion here in the UK, but never really amounted to anything. it's still their best album, but their entire catalogue is pretty good, and they should be one of the biggest bands on the planet (instead of Coldplay).
Also check out their "Live from Australia" album - superb.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 05:20:38 AM »
I was a little disappointed with the performances on that live album, although it's still good to hear them back.  Jeff Martin's solo stuff has been good, but never quite the quality of Tea Party.

Tea Party I believe were only really big in Canada and Australia.  Those are their two biggest fan bases anyway.  It's funny though, I have never heard a Tea Party song on the radio here and I have only met one other fan of the band, yet the following out here is crazy.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 05:51:36 AM »
Tea Party is still played every day on the radio here in Canada.

Was never a big fan, but the one song that always stood out to me was "A Certain Slant of Light".  Cool song!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 05:55:26 AM »
Tea Party is still played every day on the radio here in Canada.

Was never a big fan, but the one song that always stood out to me was "A Certain Slant of Light".  Cool song!

Top 5.......maybe top 3 Tea Party song.  That is by far one of their most underrrated and is something special, I love it.  The atmosphere and vibe on that song is just incredible.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 01:49:08 AM »
Just purchased and listened to the new Tea Party album The Ocean at the End. It's stunning! This is the album they should have made after The Interzone Mantras. I hate to use the cliche "a stunning return to form", but that's exactly what it is. Could very well be my fave album of 2014...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2014, 05:04:40 AM »
Just purchased and listened to the new Tea Party album The Ocean at the End. It's stunning! This is the album they should have made after The Interzone Mantras. I hate to use the cliche "a stunning return to form", but that's exactly what it is. Could very well be my fave album of 2014...

I was very disappointed in it.  I found it pretty boring and uninteresting.  I should revisit it though and give it another chance.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »
I became a big fan of The Tea Party in college in the late 1990s.  Still haven't picked up the new one.  They kinda lost my interest for some reason with the last release prior to their hiatus.  Anyone else pick up the new album and have thoughts on it?  Just curious if it's worth getting.  So far we have one person who like it, and one who didn't.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline jammindude

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2014, 08:37:38 PM »
The Canadian Metal thread made me want to resurrect this thread.   I'm just glad that the thread (along with their recent tour) has caused me to dig their stuff out.

I really liked Splendor Solis and I ***LOVE*** The Edges of Twilight (easily in the top 5 albums from that entire decade...just a smokin album from start to finish)...but then Transmission lost me a bit, and I lost track of them after that.

Hard core fans praise every note they play, and a part of me thinks I may have dismissed the experimentation of Transmission a bit too quickly.   Now they're coming to Seattle in December, and I might possibly get the opportunity to interview Jeff Martin for a local blog.    So it's time to do some catch up.

Any suggestions??
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2014, 09:41:23 PM »
definitely check out The Ocean at the End.

Seattle, WA ya say? Why would they play there (and NYC) and not any other dates in the States? If they hit Minneapolis, I cannot see myself missing them.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2014, 03:57:50 AM »
The Canadian Metal thread made me want to resurrect this thread.   I'm just glad that the thread (along with their recent tour) has caused me to dig their stuff out.

I really liked Splendor Solis and I ***LOVE*** The Edges of Twilight (easily in the top 5 albums from that entire decade...just a smokin album from start to finish)...but then Transmission lost me a bit, and I lost track of them after that.

Hard core fans praise every note they play, and a part of me thinks I may have dismissed the experimentation of Transmission a bit too quickly.   Now they're coming to Seattle in December, and I might possibly get the opportunity to interview Jeff Martin for a local blog.    So it's time to do some catch up.

Any suggestions??

Transmission is quite brilliant IMO, and often misunderstood.  I never really got the love for Triptych and it's probably my least fav album from them besides the new one.  Interzone was really good and worthy of listening.  Seven Circle is also a fav of mine as the mainstream direction works really well.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2014, 10:04:20 AM »
I'm going to be searching through their stuff.   There's really something about them that I admire.  I've never heard their unique blend of influences anywhere else, and I like how they had the guts to take their sound in a different direction right when they probably could have copied their own success and cashed in. 

As successful as Jimmy Page was at blending Eastern music with traditional blues, I rarely heard anyone trying to pull it off.   Don't get me wrong, I heard a TON of LZ clones, but they were mostly imitating JP's bluesy hooks and RP's soaring vocals.   A few, but not too many tried to make a success of the middle eastern sounds that Page did....but no one off the top of my head as blatantly as The Tea Party did.   But by then infusing those two things with the (then) modern "groove metal" trends of the time, they stumbled onto something that was IMO totally original. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2014, 02:06:32 PM »
I wiped years of dust off of Transmission and spun it today.   All I can say is, WHAT WAS I THINKING????   This album is pretty damn good.   :xbones

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
Yeah man, great album.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 06:19:22 PM »
BUMP!

Just got the word that I'm going to be doing a phone interview with Jeff Martin sometime next week which I hope to also film for an episode of The Jammin Dude Show.

Any fans have any good ideas for questions to ask?