Author Topic: Sintheros's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs! (Starts on Page 5)  (Read 45804 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Quad's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs!
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2010, 01:02:33 PM »
I just find it interminably dull, and the whole building up of layers of sound as it progresses has been done significantly better, not only by other bands but by PT themselves. I find the core of the song, the piano part, uninspired and irritating, and I don't really care for the lyrics either.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2010, 09:45:51 PM »
20. "Way Out Of Here" - Fear of a Blank Planet

The second best song on FoaBP, the emotional level of this tune is incredibly high. From the verses the chorus, there isn't a dull moment in my opinion. Definitely a killer tune as seen on the live DVD.

19. "The Sky Moves Sideways" - The Sky Moves Sideways

This is the oldest song that is this high. Everything after this song is going to be from later material. That being said, this song is the best thing they did pre-Signify. The entire 30 minute piece is just a wonderful adventure from start to finish. The best part though is the first few minutes, followed by the crazy trippy part.

18. "Feel So Low" - Lightbulb Sun

This is one of the saddest songs I have ever heard in my life. The two parts that always kill me and usually make me get teary eyed are the "OK OK OK You've Won" and the very faint "thanks." at the end. This song will always have a special place for me when I am feeling down.

17. "Time Flies" - The Incident

The best song from TI. Everything from the awesome "Dogs" inspired parts to the insane middle section, this song really packs a punch. The radio edit is also really good actually, both versions do the job in an amazing way. I love how specific SW's lyrics are, and this song is no different ("I was born in 1967 / The year of Sgt. Pepper")

16. "Anesthetize" - Fear of a Blank Planet

The best song on FoaBP. This song took a LONG time to really click for me, but once it did I was taken completely and now I can never get enough of this tune whenever I hear it. The version on the new DVD is INSANE! It's definitely one of the highlights of the show for me. As far as the studio version, GH's drumming is at its best here, bar none. If I had to choose my all time favorite song for a drum track, it'd most likely be this one.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2010, 11:16:07 PM »
Some very good choices there. :tup :tup

You mentioned my two favorite parts of "Feel So Low," so I guess great minds think alike!  However, I am weird in that depressing songs like that can be very uplifting for me.  A sad song on a bad day can always cheer me up. :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2010, 11:56:41 PM »
Some very good choices there. :tup :tup

You mentioned my two favorite parts of "Feel So Low," so I guess great minds think alike!  However, I am weird in that depressing songs like that can be very uplifting for me.  A sad song on a bad day can always cheer me up. :)

Depressing songs can actually lift my spirits sometimes, but FSL always makes me massively depressed.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2010, 07:39:11 AM »
I love Time Flies so much.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »
I love Feel so Low  :tup

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2010, 11:09:49 AM »
Feel So Low if my favourite 'simple' PT song other than Heartattack In A Layby. Great choices!

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Great choices, can't yet say about The Sky Moves Sideways, but definitely about the rest. You've already mentioned five or six songs that would be in my top 10, I wonder what will be up there :P

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »
15. "Trains" - In Absentia

I guess that half of you will be angry at me for putting this too high, and the other half will be angry at me for putting it too low. Simply put, this is the single song that got me into PT, and it will always have a special place in my heart for that. Since going crazy over this band, I have come to realize that there are 14 songs by this band that are simply better. All that said, the banjo solo is pretty :metal.

14. "Stop Swimming" - Stupid Dream

The perfect way to close a perfect album. This song is like a more perfected version of FSL for me (even though it came out first). A lot of the songs on the rest of this I really consider perfect and there are just so many nice things to say about them that I almost have trouble expressing it, so a lot of my descriptions from here on out will be lame. I will say that, as usual SW's melancholy demeanor on this song totally makes it a masterpiece in and of itself. 

13. "Baby Dream In Cellophane" - Stupid Dream

This song took a LONG time to click for me, but once it did I was totally blown away, and continue to be blown away by it every time I hear it. It has such a creepy sound to it and when I read the description of what the song was actually about (a pissed off infant) I felt kind of like laughing, but then realized that the lyrics actually make sense in the context of the song.

12. "Waiting" - Signify

Both parts of "Waiting" clock in at 12. The first half is a straight up rocking song that has some awesome instrumental work by the band, and part two features one of their best basslines and some awesome experimental work. This tune must be absolutely amazing live (The Coma Divine version is pretty amazing) and I'm secretly hoping the band plays this at the Radio City show.

11. "Russia On Ice" - Lightbulb Sun

One of the best LBS songs. Everything about this song from the beginning somber part to the buildup to the really insane heavy and experimental parts towards the end are all stellar, and some of the most creative things that PT has come up with to date. My favorite verse in this tune is the last one:

A drop in the ocean / A significant motion / Nothing melts in this cold /But Russia on ice is burning a hole

Not much beats his vocal delivery on this verse.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Cerberus

« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
Trains = top 5 for me

Not that I know PT nearly enough to make even a top 25 list, but I <3 Trains.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »
5 amazing songs in a row.  :tup Can't wait to see the top 10!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2010, 06:49:32 AM »
Glad to see some love for Baby Dream in Cellophane, a track i simply love.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2010, 10:44:56 AM »
A lot of PT songs I do not know from the first few albums, but I agree with the placement of all those that I recognise!

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2010, 04:21:54 PM »
One amazing song, one great, one I don't know yet, one good but you-know-what and my third least favourite. A bit of mixed feelings here.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2010, 07:34:51 PM »
Here is part one of the top 10!

10. "What Happens Now?" - Nil Recurring

This song is the perfect example of how to build up sound. The last minutes of this song are so epic simply because the sounds are just continuously built onto each other over and over again. Listening to this song never fails to blow me away, especially when I put it into FoaBP for extra epicness. :metal

9. "The Start of Something Beautiful" - Deadwing

One of the best songs on DW, this song is one of PT's best. It never ceases to amazing me. Other than the as-usual fantastic delivery of the vocals (particularly the chorus) the amazing bassline in this song is probably the thing that stands out to me the most from it. This song really brings out the best of the post-LBS era PT.

8. "Sleep of No Dreaming" - Signify

I must firstly point out how amazing the organs are for the opening of this song. The chorus is also another reason why this song is in my top 10. It has some of the most emotional deliveries I have ever heard from any signer ever. SW's melancholy vocals are at an all time best here.

space cadet, pull out.

Offline UnutterableSquid

• Squiddus Maximus
  • Eddie, what took you so long?
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2010, 07:39:50 PM »
"Feel So Low", as you know, is probably the most emotional PT song for me, so I'm happy to see it relatively high up on your list.

Also, pretty amazing list so far, but you're missing one thing...

There are no pickles here...

The Final Frontier - August 16th, 2010

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2010, 07:41:34 PM »
Before I continue with the next installment of my top 10 I want to put a few runner ups that barely missed this list.

55. "Black Dahlia" - The Incident

54. "The Sound of Muzak" - In Absentia

53. "Drawing the Line" - The Incident

52. "I Drive the Hearse" - The Incident

51. "Sever" - Signify
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2010, 07:45:57 PM »
Was hoping I Drive The Hearse would make your top 10 list, but nice to see it get acknowledged regardless!

And to be honest, I need to listen to the second disc of The Incident more... I've only listened to Black Dahlia/Flicker a couple of times.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2010, 05:04:28 AM »
Seeing I Drive the Hearse outside of the top50 makes me  :sadpanda:.
Lyricwise, its one of their absolute best songs.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2010, 09:14:39 PM »
Sorry there hasn't been an update in a day or so, I've been busy in the city, I'll write up some more in a little bit!
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2010, 10:08:08 PM »
7. "Buying New Soul" - Lightbulb Sun [B-Side]

The best B-Side the band has. If LBS wasn't so perfect, I'd almost wish they had put it in the album, but LBS is too perfect as is. I personally prefer the version on the DVDA format of LBS because it's like 15 minutes long as opposed to the 10 minute version on Recordings and it sounds much better. The AS... version is also fantastic, but my personal least favorite version I've heard. So many things about this song make me never ever get bored of listening to it.

6. "Shesmovedon / Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled" - Lightbulb Sun

I'm sorry, but I have to side with Kev here and say that these two songs BELONG together. You really can't have one without the other, and each song suffers slightly when played without the other in my opinion. Shesmovedon is one of their catchiest songs with a really orgasmic chorus and one of the better guitar solos, while LCtEPEBIIR is their best post-Signify experimental songs. There isn't a single bad thing that anyone can say about either song, and when they are put together, like they are on the album, you really can't go wrong.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2010, 10:23:07 PM »
 :tup :tup :tup

:tdwn :tdwn :tdwn

in that order.
caw caw

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2010, 10:57:43 PM »
Good top ten so far.  Ignore Sinteros, he's a fail bucket.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2010, 05:57:46 AM »
Good top ten so far.  Ignore Sinteros, he's a fail bucket.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2010, 09:38:08 PM »
5. "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" - Deadwing

Not much to say about this song, it's just really epic and just an all around awesome tune. I really enjoy the middle section that gets heavy and then culminates with the MA guitar solo, it's really sick. Also, the lyrics in this song are out of this world, and most of the times I listen to this song I get the chills whenever there is a verse.

Any guesses at what the next four songs might be?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2010, 10:04:35 PM »
I have no idea actually. I thought Anesthetize or Arriving Somewhere would be number 1, but neither are.

And I'm too lazy to see if these placed earlier in your list... but, maybe:
Heartattack in a Lay By
Strip The Soul
Hatesong
Deadwing
Disappear

Offline jag66

« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2010, 07:03:25 AM »
dark matter, even less (dont think had these?), and then possibly heartattack and deadwing from the list above.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2010, 08:33:05 PM »
4. "Hatesong" - Lightbulb Sun

The quintessential live PT song. If someone is interested in PT, I'd probably show them a live version of this song. Every single band member does multiple awesome things when this song is performed. From the grooviest bass lines ever, to some awesome experimental guitar and keys work, to the insane drumming, there isn't a single dull moment at all during this tune.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2010, 08:43:59 PM »
To be honest, I don't even like the studio version of Hatesong very much. The live version is just so incredible. Great pick  :tup
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2010, 06:50:28 AM »
To be honest, I don't even like the studio version of Hatesong very much. The live version is just so incredible. Great pick  :tup

Thanks, yea the live version of this song is superior, although I still enjoy the studio version on LBS.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2010, 08:41:24 AM »
Haven't heard the live version, but I knew this song would be ranked high.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2010, 10:50:03 AM »
I have my expectations on the following songs for the top3:

Linton Samuel Dawson
Jupiter Island
Space Transmission

(in no particular order)

otherwise a decent thread.  :tup

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2010, 02:45:06 PM »
I assume you all mean the live version from Arriving Somewhere?
caw caw

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2010, 02:50:15 PM »
I have my expectations on the following songs for the top3:

Message from a Self-Destructing Turnip
Queen Quotes Crowley
Space Transmission

(in no particular order)

otherwise a decent thread.  :tup
FTFY

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2010, 06:42:42 PM »
Yeah, the Arriving Somewhere.. version is pure awesome.