Author Topic: Sintheros's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs! (Starts on Page 5)  (Read 46033 times)

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
Re: Quad's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs!
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2010, 01:54:00 PM »
I can't think of any bands with so few filler tracks, other than Opeth or maybe Tool (except the actual 1 minute filler tracks  :P)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »
Let me guess, your top10 includes: Trains, Blackest Eyes, The Sound of Muzak, Shallow, Lazarus, Halo and Heartattack in a layby? :neverusethis:
For me, Heartattack in a Layby would be around top 7, Lazarus around top 10, Trains and Halo around 30-40, Blackest Eyes and Shallow 40-50, The Sound of Muzak #2 in a "bottom 50 Porcupine Tree" songs list.

I can't think of any bands with so few filler tracks, other than Opeth or maybe Tool (except the actual 1 minute filler tracks  :P)
Riverside, Dream Theater.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2010, 03:07:02 PM »
Let me guess, your top10 includes: Trains, Blackest Eyes, The Sound of Muzak, Shallow, Lazarus, Halo and Heartattack in a layby? :neverusethis:
For me, Heartattack in a Layby would be around top 7, Lazarus around top 10, Trains and Halo around 30-40, Blackest Eyes and Shallow 40-50, The Sound of Muzak #2 in a "bottom 50 Porcupine Tree" songs list.

What would be nr1 on that list? :O
Personally, Trains and Halo are liek.. top10 material, the other songs are not. :>

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2010, 03:12:40 PM »
shut it down mellotron shut it down scratch shut it down shut it down shut it down

Halo is a really nice song, and feels a bit overlooked to me - in fact, I also forget about it, but I come back to it now and then and it's really enjoyable.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2010, 03:19:38 PM »
Mellotron Scratch has really grown on me tbh, when i spinned Deadwing yesterday (first time in ages), it was one of the songs that stood out the most.
I would prolly rank the songs on the album like this:
1. Halo
2. The Start of Something Beautiful
3. Deadwing
4. Arriving Somewhere but Not Here
5. Mellotron Scratch
6. Shallow
7. Open Car
8. Lazarus
9. Glass Arm Shattering

also, uhm ye.. hopefully i didn't go too much offtopic from the thread.  :biggrin:
gief update!

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2010, 03:37:09 PM »
It has never grown on me. I disliked it all the way back when I first was listening to Deadwing (still before my "prog era" began) before getting into PT proper, I disliked it later, and I still dislike it now even when many other PT songs have grown on me.

My ranking for Deadwing would be this:
1. The Start of Something Beautiful
2. Lazarus
3. Arriving Somewhere but not here
4. Deadwing
5. Halo
6. Open Car
7. Shallow
8. Glass Arm Shattering (<- I still really like it)
900. Mellotron Scratch

Yep, waiting for update too.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2010, 03:53:45 PM »
Mellotron Scratch is awesome.

That is all.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2010, 03:54:24 PM »
As a cure for insomnia, indeed.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2010, 03:56:52 PM »
I don't understand how you can think Mellotron Scratch is boring, but still like Glass Arm Shattering. :p I like both, but I would say Mellotron is much more interesting, especially the vocal melodies.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2010, 04:01:10 PM »
Well, Glass Arm Shattering feels like it has some emotion and nicely builds up. And most importantly, it doesn't drag, it's just the right length. Mellotron Scratch has 7 minutes and feels longer than the entire Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence with 10x repeat of Overture.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2010, 04:09:20 PM »
While I love GAS and MS, I can see ZBomber's argument that MS is actually far less interesting. Personally I don't find that MS drags at all, and the outro is fantastic and unexpected.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2010, 06:52:53 PM »
Well, Glass Arm Shattering feels like it has some emotion and nicely builds up. And most importantly, it doesn't drag, it's just the right length. Mellotron Scratch has 7 minutes and feels longer than the entire Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence with 10x repeat of Overture.

TBH, I never even knew it was 7 minutes... does not drag on at all imo.

Plus Glass Arm Shattering has about 6 minutes of silence, so you can't talk about a song dragging on for too long.

:neverusethis:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2010, 10:16:23 PM »
More songs:

34. "Remember Me Lover" - The Incident

This is one of the heavier ending songs that PT has done, the other one being "Sleep Together". This song, however, is pretty sick, and the way the ending builds up is really awesome. Not much else to say about this song other than it rules, and that I always love listening to it, whether in the context of the album, or alone.

33. "Normal" - Nil Recurring

I think that "Normal" is better than "Sentimental". I really love the driving acoustic riff that sets the song off and finishes it. I also like the riffs for the verse, as well as the chords towards the end with the harmonizing vocals that PT is so good at. Really glad this song made the cut for the new DVD as it was AWESOME on it.

32. "Idiot Prayer" - Signify

One of Signify's best intrumentals. I really love the way that this song builds and builds, and then breaks down and then comes back. It harkens a lot back to the UtD era, but it better than most of the songs that came out of that time. Overall an awesome tune that fits nicely into the album alongside the other songs.

31. "Drown With Me" - In Absentia [B-Side]

One of PT's better B-Sides. I absolutely love the acoustic guitar in this song. Another track that made it onto the new DVD, although I don't think it sounded as good live as it does on the studio recording, although I'm sure it would be much better in person.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 07:50:16 PM by Quadrochosis »
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2010, 04:47:13 AM »
Some cool choices. :)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2010, 05:29:42 AM »
[insert more complaining here about Octane Twisted/The Seance/Circle of Manias being way too low :lol]

And I'd put Normal somewhere around here as well. Interesting choices :)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2010, 05:35:19 AM »
Is this list in reverse order?
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2010, 08:54:17 AM »
I had to fix something just so all you guys know...

I never actually wrote out number 50, and started my real list at 49, so all the songs here are actually one higher.

Number 50 was "Blackest Eyes"

Sorry about that, it should be all back on track now.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2010, 10:21:17 AM »
Great to see Normal on there... I agree its better than Sentimental (Although Sentimental fits perfectly on the album). Love the last 2 minutes or so of that song.  :tup

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2010, 07:49:18 PM »
30. "Octane Twisted/The Seance/Circle of Manias" - The Incident

These three songs HAVE to go together, there's no if and or but about it. They make up some of the best moments of TI song cycle. I cannot wait to see this played live by PT at Radio City. From the Opeth-y sounding stuff to the PT sounding stuff, there isn't a dull moment on these tunes.

29. "Sleep Together" - Fear of a Blank Planet

I absolutely adore the way this song starts out with those key effects. It really makes me feel like I'm sitting in a jail cell in hell. The emotional intensity of this song is really strong, and I love the way SW delivers the "Let's sleep together, right now." lines.

28. "Up the Downstair" - Up the Downstair

The unsung hero of UtD, the bassline of this song is just mindblowingly awesome. I rarely see this song get any praise, but I think it's the best song on the album, and it well deserves its spot at 28.

27. "Fear of a Blank Planet" - Fear of a Blank Planet

A lot of people have issues with this song, but I really like it a lot. I think that it's a pretty awesome way to start one of their best albums. The verses have some pretty cool lines, and I think those are what people take issue with, although I really think they work well. I like when lyricists are very specific with what they are trying to say.

26. "Open Car" - Deadwing

I went crazy for this song when it first clicked for me. The odd key signature riff really rocks a lot, and the chorus is really emotional, one of their best. The instrumental break that leads into the somber chorus that ends the song is also really excellent. One of the better songs on Deadwing.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2010, 08:22:23 PM »
Open Car doesn't get talked about enough on here, one of my favorite PT songs for sure!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2010, 08:51:42 PM »
Open Car doesn't get talked about enough on here, one of my favorite PT songs for sure!

Yea, it is a good song.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2010, 01:37:29 PM »
I've only just realised that because I got In Absentia from Legalsounds, which is awful, it had 'Drown With Me' listed as 'Prodigal.' So for about two months I'd been missing out on 1/12th of In Absentia.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2010, 02:03:24 PM »
I honestly had to look up what Legalsounds actually was, but both "Drown With Me" and "Prodigal" are amazing songs.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2010, 02:30:52 PM »
I've only just realised that because I got In Absentia from Legalsounds, which is awful, it had 'Drown With Me' listed as 'Prodigal.' So for about two months I'd been missing out on 1/12th of In Absentia.
You don't miss that much to be honest :P

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2010, 02:35:24 PM »
Drown With Me's the better song, but Prodigal's one of the better IA tracks.
caw caw

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2010, 10:56:25 PM »
25. "Lazarus" - Deadwing

This is another one of the songs that I really went crazy over when I was first really getting into PT. If I had made this list last year it'd probably be in my top 10, but it has since dropped off a bit. The piano melody that runs during the choruses are my favorite parts of the song, they just fit so well, I love it.

24. ".3" - In Absentia

One of their more interesting pieces, with a killer bassline. I like the way that it builds into the single verse (If you can even call it a verse) and then back into the main riff. One of their most overlooked songs by far, and it sounds really killer on the new DVD.

23. "Collapse the Light Into Earth" - In Absentia

A really beautiful way to end IA. Once the strings come in towards the end I almost always lose it listening to this. The beauty of this song really shines through during the choruses, especially the ones towards the end with the aahhhs and ooohhs. There are a lot of occasions where I find myself just playing this song because it sounds great by itself as well as in context with IA.

22. "Don't Hate Me" - Stupid Dream

Another amazing somber tune off of SD. It's the only PT song that has both a sax and flute solo (I think) making it one of PT's more interesting works. I really like the chorus of the song. Nothing else to say really, just an overall awesome tune.

21. "Lightbulb Sun" - Lightbulb Sun

Kev is going to disown me for this, but LBS comes in at 21. It really is an awesome tune though and I really can't say enough good thing about it. I just feel that PT happens to have 20 songs that are better. The way the song starts and the first verse are my favorite moments in this song. I guess it's just lower because the later part feels a bit anti-climactic, if you know what I mean.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2010, 11:18:07 PM »
IIRC, all five of those songs were in my top 15 (or maybe top 20), so hell yeah to all of 'em!  :tup :tup

As for "Lightbulb Sun" at number 21, doesn't bother me at all.  Remember, I am not one of those people who thinks everyone's lists should automatically look like mine would. :biggrin:

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2010, 11:20:48 PM »
IIRC, all five of those songs were in my top 15 (or maybe top 20), so hell yeah to all of 'em!  :tup :tup

As for "Lightbulb Sun" at number 21, doesn't bother me at all.  Remember, I am not one of those people who thinks everyone's lists should automatically look like mine would. :biggrin:

Well that's good to know :tup Glad you didn't lolrant me.

space cadet, pull out.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
I know I'm a bit late but it's nice to see Normal on your list. I love that song :hat

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2010, 06:55:24 AM »
4 really nice songs and one masterpiece placed quite high. Very nice :)

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 08:27:59 AM »
4 really nice songs and one masterpiece placed quite high. Very nice :)

I'm assuming you're saying the masterpiece is "Don't Hate Me"?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2010, 09:07:30 AM »
Couldn't be more obvious :P

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
Other than the fact that Collapse The Light Into Earth is my least favourite PT song at this point, I agree with the rest of those choices.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2010, 12:56:19 PM »
Other than the fact that Collapse The Light Into Earth is my least favourite PT song at this point, I agree with the rest of those choices.
How is that even possible?
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2010, 01:02:09 PM »
How is that even possible?

I wouldn't say i dislike it, but its one of the songs i like the least on IA fo sho.