Author Topic: Sintheros's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs! (Starts on Page 5)  (Read 46077 times)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
Re: Sintheros's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs! (Starts on Page 5)
« Reply #245 on: July 11, 2010, 09:24:38 AM »
Nah, I haven't, simply because I need to listen to the early albums. When I do, I might do one. But yeah, Quadrochosis is right. :P Unless you count The Incident as a song, then Anesthetize is #2.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #246 on: July 11, 2010, 09:25:50 AM »
Yea.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #247 on: July 11, 2010, 09:27:36 AM »
That wasn't enthusiastic enough. It should be

OMG OMG OMG ANESTHETIZE AND THE INCIDENT ARE THE MOST AWESOME THINGS IN EXISTENCE

...or close.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #248 on: July 11, 2010, 09:28:27 AM »
Anesthetize is probably my number 1 at the minute, but then I still haven't heard A Smart Kid or a lot of the earlier material.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #249 on: July 11, 2010, 09:30:50 AM »
You guys should change that.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #250 on: July 11, 2010, 09:31:21 AM »
That wasn't enthusiastic enough. It should be

OMG OMG OMG ANESTHETIZE AND THE INCIDENT ARE THE MOST AWESOME THINGS IN EXISTENCE

...or close.

I was saying Yea to Marvellous G's question.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #251 on: July 11, 2010, 09:33:23 AM »
Why the hell I haven't followed this? This is easily the most awesome top 50 this far.

Not as awesome as mine was...  :sadpanda:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #252 on: July 11, 2010, 06:23:17 PM »
Pfft.  These are all pale imitations to the original, which was, of course...mine. :biggrin: :hat

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
3. Dark Matter from Signify

CRUSHED LIKE A ROSE
IN THE RIVER FLOW
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII AM
I KNOW

That should be enough to cover half of why this song is incredible. The other half is Steven Wilson's best solo that occupies the back half of the song. It seems new PT fans shy away from anything earlier than Stupid Dream. What a loss, this song could probably take every other song on their first four albums in a fight and win. The renditions of it on Anesthetize and Atlanta do it great justice and are a must view/listen. That live intro that Richard adds to it in both live editions improves the already stellar atmosphere. There's really very little I can say about this song, it needs to be listened to to be appreciated. In short, top notch lyrics, top notch atmosphere, top notch solo. Everyone's on top of their game and it shows.
caw caw

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #254 on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:24 AM »
Is this getting updated ever?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #255 on: July 19, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »
We already know what the next 2 are, but I really like reading the descriptions...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2010, 03:06:06 AM »
I was busy being disappointed by the lack of Dark Matter love to finish.  :yeahright

2. Trains from In Absentia

Porcupine Tree's Metropolis, their song that is the top or very near the top of nearly every fan's list and often shows up as the encore. The run away fan favorite track. The second half of the one-two punch that starts off In Absentia, a great way to introduce someone to Porcupine Tree's mellower half, a surprisingly killer live number, and so much more, Trains encompasses a whole lot of what makes PT PT in a mere six minutes. At its heart its a fluffy pop song, but it has the PT overlay on top of it. Richard's atmosphere, Steven's phone vocals, the works. It's much more than any pop song could ever hope to be. The title being a common theme in SW's lyrics, supposedly he lived near a large number of trains during his childhood and likes to reference them as a nostalgia point. While my first tastes of PT came in the form of Fear of a Blank Planet and The Creator Has a Mastertape, it wasn't until I heard Trains that everything clicked. Suddenly everything Steven Wilson had even touched was musical gold. The song hides some trigger somewhere, just like other fan favorites. I was the same way for Metropolis and Dream Theater songs. There's something about songs like these that make you appreciate everything an artist does. I also think its worth pointing out that the best audio recorded version of this track is a toss up between the album version and the live version on Ilosaarirock. Arriving Somewhere makes for a nice video, but the cut in the middle hampers it. All the more reason to join ROABP or find a copy of Ilosaarirock somewhere (but not here). There's not much to say about this song that hasn't been said to death by Darkes or anyone else in the PT threads, but I'd like to give a special mention to the last minute or so of the song. The entire band joins back in for the finale, ending the song on an enormous high note. Incredible.
caw caw

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2010, 03:22:18 AM »
I find Trains overrated.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline MirzekDT

« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2010, 03:51:53 AM »
Me too... seriously I like that song but I have never urge to listen to it aside from whole album context... On the other side songs like Blackest Eyes, Lips Of Ashes, Gravity Eylids, Wedding Nails, The Creator Has A Mastertape and sometimes Strip The Soul I listen very often outside of the album context and love them very very much... Especially Gravity Eylids and Wedding Nails

But I love whole album it is possibly in my Top 3 albums overall not just within PT

« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2010, 03:54:10 AM »
Gravity Eyelids is ten time more pleasing than Trains for me.

Besides, there are tons of better songs with that "Happy tune" that most people praise of Trains.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2010, 03:59:37 AM »
Both Dark Matter and Trains ranked high for me, so.. good job?  ;)

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2010, 04:01:26 AM »

Speaking of Dark Matter, they played it live again during some festivals last week. I wonder if it will get played at the two long shows....
caw caw

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2010, 05:03:20 AM »
All I have to say is...

Offline jag66

« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2010, 05:45:17 AM »

Speaking of Dark Matter, they played it live again during some festivals last week. I wonder if it will get played at the two long shows....

Dark Matter and Trains are possibly my top 2, so  :tup
Pure Narcotic was played recently too, id say that was a banker for the long shows.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2010, 05:50:29 AM »
DTF Gravity Eyelids lovers I'mma let y'all finish, but Trains is one of the best songs of ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2010, 06:47:22 AM »
Yeah - assuming no other songs exist except The Sound of Muzak and Mellotron Scratch.

« Reply #266 on: July 21, 2010, 06:50:55 AM »
and Four Chords That Made a Million

Offline jag66

« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2010, 08:30:33 AM »
It's crazy how much people disagree about PT. Im sure nearly DT fans love their obvious song s unanimously.. i guess PT have a fair mix of poppy and proggy masterpieces, but I for one love both  :hat

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »
Well, in DT's case: Metropolis is a remarkable piece of work, but I'd rather listen to any other I&W song. It just doesn't do that much for me, except when they play it live. Somehow as an encore song, it's the most epic thing ever.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2010, 12:17:15 PM »
Trains  :heart

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #270 on: July 21, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
Trains shares the magic and nostalgia that thrust Metropolis into my No. 1 spot. Although Trains would not be my No.1 PT song, it would be close.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2010, 03:31:20 AM »
1. Deadwing from Deadwing

The only one that almost everyone should have seen coming. My favorite PT track, and possibly my favorite song of all time. The opener to one of PT's more popular albums, Deadwing begins with an amusing staccato that sits in the background for the majority of the song. So many people seem to dismiss the song as being dull and going nowhere, and it completely baffles me how anyone can find this true. Deadwing takes the staccato intro and builds a lengthy, varied, intricate track around it. From the creepy spoken sections to the vocal delivery of "Yes I'd have to say I like my privacy" to the bizzare slide-filled solo, Deadwing is segment after segment of new ideas thrown on a subtle theme. The song truly has it all when it comes to what makes PT shine. Mysterious haunting keyboards throughout. A wicked solo. Interesting drum fills during the back half of the song. The reprise of the riff from the intro with a whined keyboard playing behind it at 5:18 is likely my favorite single moment of Porcupine Tree to date. Lyrically it can't stand up to some of Steven's other lyrics, the best of which I'd award to either Buying New Soul or Even Less, but that's not to say Deadwing's are bad by any means. A screenplay? What an interesting prospect, perhaps on the wake of the Insurgentes documentary someone will pick it up. It bothers me to no end that I may never see this song live, as Gavin seems to have some vendetta against playing it for whatever reason, maybe he'll make an exception for the special fall shows. If you're among the group that places Arriving Somewhere and/or The Start of Something Beautiful head and shoulders above the rest of the album, I implore you to give the title track another try.

And that's my list. A bit predictable near the end because I'm overly vocal about my opinions in the PT thread much of time, but thanks for following. All the better if you didn't actually know my favorites for whatever reason.

And with that...

DEADWING LULLABY
FIND A PLACE TO HIDE
caw caw

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2010, 03:43:30 AM »
HOLY BALLS.

I never looked up the lyrics to the song... I never even knew "deadwing lullaby" was in the lyrics. Thats awesome!  :metal

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2010, 04:26:01 AM »
Cool choice on #1. Deadwing is not my favorite PT song, but it's definately top 15 for me. And 'Deadwing' is my PT album of choice. I don't know man, it's hard to pick a favorite. But it was the first PT album that came out when I was a fan, and I have wonderful memories of it, mostly of summer and romances 'n shit.. I can't believe 'The Incident' kind of slayed it as an album. But 'Deadwing' definately has the BIG songs: Deadwing, Arriving, Mellotron, SoSB.

'Deadwing' was the first song they played when I saw them live for the first time in 2005. I have most vivid memories of that, how they busted out into the 2 chords and the subsequent power-riff. I was standing front row (they didn't even sell out back then!), and the sound was crushingly loud, but AWESOME.

It would be one of their most notorious songs if they played it live more often, because it absolutely owned in a live setting.

Here's to 'Deadwing', cheers. And PT, play it LIVE!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #274 on: July 22, 2010, 06:16:38 AM »
Deadwing will always have a special place in my heart, because it was the first PT album to be released after I became a fan, so it was the first one that I had a sense of anticipation and excitement for.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #275 on: July 22, 2010, 02:14:32 PM »
I love "Deadwing."

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #276 on: July 28, 2010, 09:24:22 AM »
Deadwing's great, I don't see why people say it's not anything special. The way those keyboards are going through the whole song, and fitting perfectly under the heavy, soft, clean and loud riffs is amazing. I also agree about Trains, but I probably wouldn't have it quite that high up. Great list!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #277 on: July 28, 2010, 11:25:40 AM »
My top 20:
1. Anesthetize
2. The Sky Moves Sideways
3. Arriving Somewhere... But Not Here
4. Trains
5. The Blind House
6. Russia On Ice
7. Burning Sky
8. Moonloop
9. Mellotron Scratch
10. Hatesong
11. Deadwing
12. Fadeaway
13. Synesthesia
14. Small Fish
15. Dark Matter
16. Every Home Is Wired
17. .3
18. Lightbulb Sun
19. Radioactive Toy
20. A Smart Kid

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #278 on: July 28, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »
It would be one of their most notorious songs if they played it live more often, because it absolutely owned in a live setting.

Yeah it sucks they don't play it anymore :( Damn it, Gavin.