Author Topic: Sintheros's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs! (Starts on Page 5)  (Read 45805 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Sintheros's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs! (Starts on Page 5)
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2010, 05:55:43 AM »
Great run of songs, but I never was a huge fan of Lips. Its an ok song, but if I'm pressed for time, thats usually the song on the album I skip over.

Offline Silver Tears

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2010, 07:16:28 AM »
Great run of songs, but I never was a huge fan of Lips. Its an ok song, but if I'm pressed for time, thats usually the song on the album I skip over.

Yup same for me.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2010, 06:12:03 PM »
30. Nine Cats from On the Sunday of Life

The only appearance of a song from the debut album on this list, I'm sure at least one person will be unhappy with it being here. Keep in mind I'm referring to the version strictly from the debut album, not the acoustic version from Insignificance. The song sounds like the long-lost cousin of the majority of the tracks from The Piper at the Gates of Dawn by Pink Floyd - it's immensely catchy and whimsical in a way that most Porcupine Tree songs aren't, and I love it for that.

29. The Sky Moves Sideways from The Sky Moves Sideways

A thirty four minute or so song with about four minutes of lyrics, the rest incredible instrumentation and ambiance. Easily the best thing during their Floydish days that isn't Dark Matter, the song takes a lot from Shine On You Crazy Diamond. From the structure to a couple of the sequences (the beginning of Phase Two, for instance), the influence is everywhere. The best bit however, is the 8 minute or so stretch right after the lyrics stop entitled "Wire the Drum." Psychedelia never felt so melodic.

28. Time Flies from The Incident

Let's step from Wish You Were Here to Animals. Steven Wilson's first album he owned, and this track about his childhood sure makes its tribute. Time Flies is a catchy song, containing lyrics that can and should be applied to everyone. Life is all you make it, just reach out and take it, says Wilson. When it's not sounding like Sheep and Dogs in a blender, the middle section of Time Flies makes me question why they chose this song as the album's single. The middle section's screeching guitars and strange ambiance add so much to the song that listening to the single version anymore has simply become impossible.

27. I Drive the Hearse from The Incident

Another track from their latest record, this time the closer to the 55-minute cycle. In traditional PT fashion (at least, as of lately), the last song is a soft one to wrap things up. For its subject matter, the song itself is quite delicate, but it builds up. Right before he says the final "When I'm down I drive the hearse", there is about 10 seconds of pure instrumental bliss where SW includes some strangely fitting "la"s. So beautiful. If only more music was like this. What a stellar way to end the cycle. It just occurred to me that there are no songs from disc 2 on this list. I guess they lack cohesiveness, or just spirit.

26. Collapse the Light Into Earth from In Absentia

In the same vein, the quiet closer to In Absentia. Oddly enough, I like this song for much the same reason I like I Drive the Hearse. A slow, simple song that builds up. And again, near the end, there's that moment of lyricless bliss. I don't know how he does it. This song is significantly simpler in structure compared to I Drive the Hearse, simply 4 piano notes or so over and over overlayed with ambiance as the song progresses. The lyrics themselves are something else though. Trying to fit it into In Absentia's story, I consider it to be the man, having been caught with the phone call at the end of Strip the Soul, is looking inwardly as he's being driven away. He doesn't blame the people whom he hurt if they hate him for what he did, he just doesn't know why he ever did it. He's sorry, but there's nothing he can do about it now.
caw caw

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2010, 07:25:56 PM »
Time Flies... why so low??  :sadpanda:
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2010, 07:34:50 PM »
Great string of songs. Massive kudos for "Nine Cats". Love that tune.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #180 on: June 25, 2010, 08:16:28 PM »
I was about to finish writing this when I accidently closed the tab. Great. I'm not re-writing it because I'm lazy, unless someone really wants my opinions. Short versions instead. Next group tomorrow.

25. Prodigal from In Absentia
     Very inward-looking, reflective lyrics.

24. Arriving Somewhere but Not Here from Deadwing
     Fluid sounding mellow parts are neat, Akerfeldt makes good solos.

23. Sentimental from Fear of a Blank Planet
     Trains reprise, great lyrics, stellar vocal delivery.

22. The Blind House from The Incident
     BOOM BOOM BOOM. The way he sings "Blind Houuuuuuuuse" is PERFECT.

21. Octane Twisted / The Seance / Circle of Manias from The Incident
     I like recurring themes. The instrumental second half of Octane Twisted is my favorite snippet of The               Incident.
caw caw

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #181 on: June 25, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »
I'd like to know why Arriving Somewhere is so low...
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #182 on: June 25, 2010, 08:29:08 PM »
It's pretty representative of modern-era PT in one song, but it's nothing stellar on its own.
caw caw

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #183 on: June 25, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
It's pretty representative of modern-era PT in one song, but it's nothing stellar on its own.
I completely disagree... It would be top 10 for me easily.
I AM A GUY

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #184 on: June 25, 2010, 11:11:57 PM »

space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: June 26, 2010, 12:37:37 AM »

Quote from: Quadrochosis
5. "Arriving Somewhere But Not Here" - Deadwing

Clearly. :neverusethis:

But really, I don't see anything really special in it that makes it stand out. It's long, it's solid, but it's pretty standard by PT terms. The mellow part that represents 7 or 8 minutes of the song never really changes, and the heavy could have been any solo of theirs.
caw caw

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #186 on: June 26, 2010, 05:11:46 AM »
I used to love AS, but now i would probably place it somewhere around where you did.
Maybe even lower.
Nice choices.  :tup

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #187 on: June 26, 2010, 04:49:47 PM »
20. The Creator Has a Mastertape from In Absentia

One of the two songs that got me into Porcupine Tree. A highly underrated song in my opinion, overlooked while everyone's gushing over The Sound of Muzak. It contains one of Colin's best basslines IMO, and the atmosphere is overall quite creepy between the bass and the strange vocal delivery provided by SW. It's also one of their heaviest songs, with a killer riff during the chorus and the ending, and the heaviness doesn't sound forced like it does in say, Shallow. The lyrics themselves are among PT's most disturbing, the character has snapped. If you place this song low on your own rankings of IA, give it a relisten.

19. Russia on Ice from Lightbulb Sun

The lengthy epic from Lightbulb Sun, it's a shame that they've been cutting the back half from it recently for live shows. Then again, the replacement has been the heavy section of Anesthetize, so I can't really complain. I love SW's singing during the "chorus" of this song. So distant and longing. The song has an overall dark tone for the first half, and is very minimalistic instrumentally compared to a lot of PT's songs, which makes it somewhat more memorable. Then the second half everything comes back in for a crazed jam that is reminiscent of Burning Sky and Moonloop. Classic.

18. Lazarus from Deadwing

Porcupine Tree's top-selling song on iTunes for some inexplicable reason, you'd figure it'd be Trains or Blackest Eyes before Lazarus. Regardless, the song is great. Fits in on the album as the light counterpart to the heavy but highly lackluster Shallow, the song is among their better ballads (then again, where's the line between ballad and not-ballad in some of their more mellow songs?). The "My David don't you worry" bit has nearly brought me to tears on occasion (manly tears of course), and all of the instrumentation is spot on. In particular, Richard's keyboard that makes up the base of the song's melody gives the song a soul that many songs just don't have.
caw caw

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #188 on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:33 PM »
20. The Creator Has a Mastertape from In Absentia

One of the two songs that got me into Porcupine Tree. A highly underrated song in my opinion, overlooked while everyone's gushing over The Sound of Muzak. It contains one of Colin's best basslines IMO, and the atmosphere is overall quite creepy between the bass and the strange vocal delivery provided by SW. It's also one of their heaviest songs, with a killer riff during the chorus and the ending, and the heaviness doesn't sound forced like it does in say, Shallow. The lyrics themselves are among PT's most disturbing, the character has snapped. If you place this song low on your own rankings of IA, give it a relisten.

YES. I LOVE this song but it seems very overlooked. Your other picks are great too, but I quite like Shallow.  :-\

Offline jag66

« Reply #189 on: June 26, 2010, 06:33:50 PM »
some nice choices, although never been a huge fan of the creator has a master tape. Shallow is a great song imo!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #190 on: June 26, 2010, 06:46:31 PM »
Already been some IA-songs that i don't care much about, but nice to see Russia on Ice.  :laugh:

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: June 27, 2010, 07:51:01 AM »
Nice to see "The Creator Has a Mastertape" so high on your list.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: June 27, 2010, 09:56:46 PM »
17. Heartattack in a Layby from In Absentia

The saddest song on the planet. Much more than an interlude between Mastertape and Strip the Soul, this tearjerking song weaves its way through somber verse after somber verse. It's as the ending approaches that it really starts to tug on one's heartstrings. From the whining keyboard to the harmonized vocals, the song just seeps misery and longing. A special touch is made at the end when the harmonies and the keyboards merge into the sound of an ambulance siren, a fitting ending.

16. Hatesong from Lightbulb Sun

Possibly the song that translates best to a live scenario in Porcupine Tree's catalog, Hatesong has a lot going for it. A catchy bassline, a great solo, interesting lyrics, stellar musicianship all around. That one bit at the beginning of the solo that SW does on the live versions is wacky and unique, another plus to the song. The song has a whole lot of buildup that spills up in the last minutes, making for some of the best PT you can hope to experience in a live show.

15. Lightbulb Sun from Lightbulb Sun

I loved this song ever since I first heard it. Touching lyrics about nostalgia weave around this fairly simple, softly spoken song. Again I make a live comparison, it's good to see a band who switches things up this often while playing to a crowd. The angrier tone he uses when singing the "My head beats a better way" part (see: Ilosaarirock) adds to the performance. I can't really think of what particularly stands out about this song, it's just one that has stuck to me well. If they're delving into the back catalog at the end-of-tour shows, I hope this one makes an appearance
caw caw

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #193 on: June 27, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape and Nine Cats (especially the acoustic version on Insignifiance) have always been in my top 10 PT songs, I bloody love them both. Listening to YHD on earphones is the most orgasmically awesome experience.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #194 on: June 27, 2010, 10:12:46 PM »
Agreed 100%.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #195 on: June 28, 2010, 02:04:34 AM »
Three great songs there.  :tup Although a lot of the songs that would make my top 10 are somewhere in the top 30 for you, so the rest of this should be interesting...

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2010, 04:31:20 AM »
I can't see why LB is higher than Hatesong, though.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #197 on: June 28, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape and Nine Cats (especially the acoustic version on Insignifiance) have always been in my top 10 PT songs, I bloody love them both. Listening to YHD on earphones is the most orgasmically awesome experience.

Which YHD version? There's like 5 that I have.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2010, 12:11:32 AM »
The Staircase Infinities version is great. The 20 minute one isn't bad and I love the beginning part but it can drag.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2010, 12:35:12 AM »
14. Pure Narcotic from Stupid Dream

It's strange. While I'd say that Heartattack is the 'sadder' song, this is the only song that has ever made me cry. Take the almost-cheery music with the lyrics filled with longing and self-insecurity. Particularly, the ending with the harmonies and what I consider SW's absolute best vocal moment, though there are so many. "Have we ever been here before, running headlong at the floor?" He's lacking certain qualities that would make him an all-around stellar singer, but nobody could fit PT's music better than he could. On an album filled with songs about giving up, longing, and depression, one of the cheeriest tracks is possibly the saddest. Bravo.

13. Blackest Eyes from In Absentia

Live setting mainstay, hard rocking, and deceptive, one of PT's most popular songs deserves its place this high up on the list. Blackest Eyes is many things. It's the start of their "modern" era, where they introduced a much heavier sound. It's the single song I'd most likely use to introduce any potential new fans. It's got a killer riff, and a catchy chorus. It's also disturbingly upbeat - ever person I've ever had listen to the song thinks its the happiest thing ever until they start paying attention to the lyrics. And that backing voice underneath the first set of verses? It also acts somewhat as an overview of the story behind the album in the span of one song. The only downside to the song is that it has the potential to drive away a close-minded listener as soon as they realize the song is about rape.
caw caw

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #200 on: June 29, 2010, 03:51:13 AM »
Although I love Blackest Eyes, I don't think it deserves this high spot.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2010, 05:58:10 AM »

+1.
Which is kinda why it barely made it to my top50.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #202 on: June 29, 2010, 06:07:38 AM »
I kind of agree. For me, it would be in the 35-40 range.
I AM A GUY

Offline jag66

« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2010, 06:07:56 AM »
Both those songs are very high for me  :tup

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #204 on: June 30, 2010, 01:00:02 AM »
12. A Smart Kid from Stupid Dream

Another one from Stupid Dream, with a few more to come, it being my 2nd favorite PT album behind IA. An enormous stand out in the otherwise inferior back half of the album (compared to the front half, anyway), A Smart Kid has always baffled me. It's clearly sad and lonely, and the entire song portrays it extremely well with the long, slow, winding notes and lyrics. But what about the title? Is this kid actually alone after nuclear holocaust? Or is it a kid merely being imaginative, pretending he's all alone in the world. Or maybe it's both. Maybe the child feels so alone in the real world that he's made a world of his own where there's a small bit of hope for him. Also, if you haven't gotten Atlanta, do it just for this song if not for the cancer treatment fund. The live version is even more heartbreaking than the album version.

11. Buying New Soul from Recordings

Assuming we're not counting Nil Recurring as B-sides, this is one of only two B-sides to appear on this list. Though if I remade this list, Half-Light might get added in as well having finally heard it both on Atlanta and Anesthetize. I had the pleasure of seeing this song in person, and then listening to it on repeat for a few days ad nauseum. A very minimalistic song, it starts and ends with starry ambient work by Richard, then trails lazily into some acoustic work. What drives this song up the list are an incredible job by a somber sounding SW, slowly reciting the best written lyrics of his career. Clearly fitting the themes of Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun (though it'd probably fit better thematically on the former), it's a travesty that this song didn't appear on either of the albums, and as a result doesn't reach nearly the number of ears that it should. Special mention to the chorus. I don't know what it is about it, it's awfully simplistic, but I love it every time.

So that leaves us with 10 to go. Any guesses or thoughts? I know some people know my favorite (or top 3, potentially) just by frequenting the PT thread, but who knows.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 01:08:00 AM by Sintheros »
caw caw

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: June 30, 2010, 04:35:58 AM »
Deadwing
Trains
The Start of Something Beautiful
Arriving Somewhere
Anesthetize

maybe some have already been mentioned, but i guess its the boring 'normal' choices :>

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2010, 04:38:01 AM »
BNS is my number 1.  :\
I AM A GUY

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #207 on: June 30, 2010, 12:06:07 PM »
11's pretty good considering how large PT's discography is.
caw caw

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: July 01, 2010, 12:58:23 AM »
Top 10 ahoy.

10. Fear of a Blank Planet from Fear of a Blank Planet

Starting off the top 10 with a bit of a controversial choice. I've got no clue what continues to drive me back to this song, but I'll never oppose to hearing it again. It was the first PT song I heard, and it drew me right in, and continues to. Say whatever you want about the lyrics. Cheesy or not, they don't detract from the song. If cheesiness was a factor, Arjen Lucassen wouldn't have any listeners. Musically, it's quite the attention grabber. Great fills by Gavin, and catchy vocal melodies & guitarwork during the beginning of the song. Basically, I have no idea why I like this song so much. It's fairly standard, and it isn't even high on atmosphere. It just flows so well together, all of the layers and melodies. I'd say it deserves more love around here, but it did at least make the finals of the survivor.

9. Don't Hate Me from Stupid Dream

Another quality track from Stupid Dream, this time sporting a flute solo and a sax solo in the span of about a minute. The song is one of many examples of Wilson's "I'm a lonely love-starved stalker" lyrical phase that runs through Shesmovedon, Feel So Low, Slave Called Shiver, this song, and a few others in PT's discography. Of those songs, this one is head and shoulders above the rest. All of those other songs come off as somewhat odd when listening to them (and this is coming from someone who said not to bash Fear's lyrics). Don't Hate Me, on the flipside, is fairly similar to A Smart Kid. Lonely, slow, and atmospheric. Both songs perfectly capture someone who is missing something, someone, somewhere, and there's very little they can do to change it. Don't Hate Me rides ahead by having more varied sections and its unique solo. I think I'll listen to it again right now. Very fitting song for three in the morning.

EDIT: I love this sax solo so much.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 01:04:26 AM by Sintheros »
caw caw

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #209 on: July 01, 2010, 06:23:40 AM »
Yeah that sax solo is very great, I love how the solo plays over that two-chord scheme, going up a half step and going back.

And FoaBP the track is pretty neat indeed. The only thing is.. most of the songs you have on your list are better than this song! Whatever dude, it's a great track, I love RB's synths in it, the drum beat, and especially the ending that's in 6/8. And it flows like no other heavy PT song. I remember listening to it for the first time on their Arriving Somewhere tour, when they were previewing the album before it was even recorded. When I first got the studio version, I could still remember the opening guitar riff, and I knew it was going to be great.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .