Author Topic: Sintheros's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs! (Starts on Page 5)  (Read 46072 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Quad's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs!
« Reply #140 on: June 17, 2010, 09:31:17 PM »
Absolutely beautiful song in 5.1.  :tup Loved the list, was a great read!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #141 on: June 17, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
Absolutely beautiful song in 5.1.  :tup Loved the list, was a great read!

Still don't have SD in 5.1, although it's gonna be my next music purchase without a doubt. Just gotta wait on the paycheck.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2010, 03:23:12 AM »
A Smart Kid is a true masterpiece, which is often overlooked by fans sadly.
It's easily one of the stand-outs.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2010, 03:41:30 AM »
A Smart Kid is quite good, but I've heard a lot of people complain about the melody in the verses, and the identical piano melody at the same time. It's kind of annoying indeed. The chorus and middle part/guitar solo are great, though.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
One thing I find interesting is that no two people who have created a Top 50 for PT have the same number 1. Kev had LBS, Zan had DM, Darkes had Anesthetize, Pyroph had BNS and I have ASK.

Pretty intriguing, and it really shows how varied, yet amazing PT really is.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2010, 10:30:42 AM »
Quad, what do you think about "Stars Die"? Personally, it's one of my favorites from early PT, but it's not on your list.  :-\
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »
Quad, what do you think about "Stars Die"? Personally, it's one of my favorites from early PT, but it's not on your list.  :-\

I like it a lot, and I actually forgot to look at all my B-Sides when I was making this list (With the exception of BNS). If I had remembered to it probably would have been somewhere in the 40s or 30s.
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2010, 11:43:15 AM »
So who is going next? I'd like to do one, maybe like a top 30, but I feel like it would be too predictable...
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2010, 12:00:15 PM »
Does anyone really have to go next?  I mean, aren't there enough of these threads already? 

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »
Does anyone really have to go next?  I mean, aren't there enough of these threads already? 
I don't get bored of them. The write-ups are usually interesting.
I AM A GUY

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2010, 12:18:44 PM »
Maybe give it a little beak before we do another one. Although I certainly would enjoy another PT top 50, since it is the band I've been listening to the most lately.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2010, 12:23:44 PM »
To expand on what I said earlier, I am not trying to be a spoil sport.  Really.  I just think massive overkill has happened with these kinds of threads.  Don't get me wrong, I am happy that so many enjoy doing this idea that I started here, but doing things in moderation is always a good thing. :)

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »
Didn't have a chance to comment earlier, so at least now... Really interesting list, some unusual choices (which I always appreciate) and really nice descriptions. Personally I have never put A Smart Kid this high (well... I don't think anything will ever be above Don't Hate Me on Stupid Dream for me), but I can definitely see why someone would and in fact I have never even thought as much about the lyrics before I read your post. Very nice.

I don't mind another list either, as long as someone is really willing to do it and it's not forced.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #153 on: June 19, 2010, 05:04:23 AM »
I wouldn't want to contribute to this problem of list overkill further, but I've always thought it would be interesting if someone who was quite new to PT would do a top 20 or something from a fresher perspective.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
  • Behind those eyes a world explodes.
« Reply #154 on: June 20, 2010, 03:00:22 PM »
I'll probably do one, though it won't be as fun as watching someone else's, as a lot of people already know what my top 2 or 3 are.
caw caw

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #155 on: June 20, 2010, 03:03:05 PM »
I'll probably do one, though it won't be as fun as watching someone else's, as a lot of people already know what my top 2 or 3 are.
I would certainly follow along.
I AM A GUY

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #156 on: June 20, 2010, 03:26:23 PM »
Very well. If you know my favorite PT song or 3, which many of you do, refrain from mentioning it for those who don't.  :P

50. Nil Recurring from Nil Recurring

Starting the list off with an instrumental, and only 3 made the list. Nil Recurring definitely fits with the rest of its EP and Fear musically, and it has some highlights in it. The one bit around 3 minutes in where suddenly all of the instruments come back in dramatically being my favorite. Seems to be underrated among fans of the EP whom usually only talk about Normal and WHN.

49. Synesthesia from Up the Downstair

The Blackest Eyes of the early PT era, this song deserves far more love (and live plays as well, here's hoping for the RCMH show) than it gets. Best accompanied by Up the Downstair's strange intro track, this song has a unique almost electronic feel to it that makes it stand out. SW loves his echoed vocals that he uses on many a PT track, but it fits this one better than most when coupled with the music.

48. Tinto Brass from Stupid Dream

The second of the three instrumentals to appear on this list, this track was almost foreshadowing PT's future. It's the heaviest track from their SD/LBS days, and would not have been out of place on any of their heavier IA and later albums. I just love how the main beat to the song is a sped up telephone, quite clever and it goes over well in the song. The heavy bit that shows up a few times is the highlight for me, along with its surprise reappearance right as the song is about to end. SW uses that trick again at the end of "No Twilight in the Courts of the Sun" on his solo record.

47. The Rest Will Flow from Lightbulb Sun

Anyone who pays enough attention or has been in the PT thread often enough knows my general dislike of Lightbulb Sun, claiming it doesn't have enough quality tracks. However, this is quite the underrated song among others on the album. It could have been Trains if it had a little more to it. I can't tell if it's supposed to be an uplifting track (a rarity for PT), but it works for me.

46. Way Out of Here from Fear of a Blank Planet

My least favorite track from Fear, which means the other 5 songs all make appearances on this list. Sorry to anyone who's a fan of this particular song, but I'm a sucker for My Ashes, which placed a bit above this one. That doesn't make Way Out of Here a bad song by any means, and it's also an interesting one live when John Wesley takes the part of singing the chorus while SW blasts away on his guitar. A very ominous and dark song, I love the windy effect at the start that adds to it.
caw caw

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Sintheros's Top 50 Porcupine Tree Songs! (Starts on Page 5)
« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2010, 08:53:39 PM »
45. Burning Sky from Up the Downstair

My favorite purely instrumental song by Porcupine Tree, and also my favorite off of Up the Downstair. Quite the jam. The little up-down-up-down rapid fire bit that comprises the main "riff" so to speak is the part I'm most fond of, it gives the song a psychedelic edge that makes me think I'm looking up at the stars. In fact, I've looked up at the stars to Burning Sky playing. It's interesting, to say the least.

44. Shesmovedon / Last Chance to Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recycled from Lightbulb Sun

I bet at least one person was wondering if this pair would appear on my list at all after everything I've said about it. It's not a bad song (pair). It's not an amazing song (pair) either. Last Chance in particular wanes quite a bit in the second half, and the first half is awfully simplistic. The simplicity of it is probably what a lot of people like about it though, and both songs are filled with emotion and more-so, longing. Charming, but not much more than that.

43. Open Car from Deadwing

Catchy main riff and unique vocal delivery make one of PT's heavier songs memorable. Especially when talking about the live versions where a solo blasts in half way through improving the song significantly. Shame the album version didn't get that. I didn't have the fortune of seeing this particular number when I saw them live, perhaps at the RCMH show for something to headbang excessively to that isn't Anesthetize.

42. Halo from Deadwing

Another track from Deadwing squeaking a place above Open Car, Halo's been one of PT's go-to encore songs alongside Trains recently. From the creepy beat of the intro to the memorable chorus, what's not to love? Not to mention the screeching guitar solo halfway in. Special mention to the video that plays behind it, it really adds to the atmosphere dropped by this rocking song.

41. Waiting (Phase One and Phase Two) from Signify

PT's first single, as far as I know, and one of their best songs from the pre-Stupid Dream days. I believe only five others appear farther down the list than this one, and clever members may know what they are. A rather tame song, Phase One features nearly tropical sounding music and a somber vocal delivery by SW, and then Phase Two continues Signify's trend of odd sounding instrumentals reminiscent of mid-era Pink Floyd. All together a solid but varied piece.
caw caw

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2010, 08:56:37 PM »
Jesus, why are you putting all their best songs so low?
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2010, 09:00:09 PM »
Jesus, why are you putting all their best songs so low?
I AM A GUY

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: June 21, 2010, 09:02:25 PM »
 :\

What's low other than Shesmovedon/Last Chance, may I ask?
caw caw

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #161 on: June 21, 2010, 09:04:06 PM »
Interesting list.

I will say that part 2 of "Waiting" drags it down a bit, and I always skip it when listening to the album.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #162 on: June 21, 2010, 09:09:48 PM »
:\

What's low other than Shesmovedon/Last Chance, may I ask?

"Waiting" and "Open Car"
space cadet, pull out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #163 on: June 21, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »
and "Halo"...
I AM A GUY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #164 on: June 21, 2010, 09:22:59 PM »
I will say that part 2 of "Waiting" drags it down a bit, and I always skip it when listening to the album.

Say what?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #165 on: June 22, 2010, 04:37:54 AM »

Say what?

Part 1 + 2 is what makes it so awesome, taking away one is BAAAAAD.  :facepalm:

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: June 22, 2010, 07:57:20 AM »
*shrugs*  It's the only dull moment for me on the whole entire album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #167 on: June 22, 2010, 08:00:52 AM »
*shrugs*  It's the only dull moment for me on the whole entire album.

Ph2>Ph1 imo, though together they form 10 minutes of epicness.

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #168 on: June 22, 2010, 08:02:27 AM »
I disagree with your placement of Open Car, but other than that I agree mostly. I might place Shesmovedon/LCTEPEBIIR a bit higher, but I think they're a bit overrated so I don't disagree.

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: June 22, 2010, 05:41:47 PM »
40. The Incident from The Incident

The individual song. Not the 55 minute song cycle. Quite an odd song compared to the rest of the album, it has a creepy beat, strange whispered words that SW won't discuss, and an over the top emotional ending. Best seen live alongside its video that features all of Hajo Mueller's promotional, disturbing drawings in motion. Overall it's one of the most varied and atmospheric pieces on the new record.

39. .3 from In Absentia

The eerie interlude from In Absentia. I always think that Richard deserves more credit than he gets, the band would be nothing like it is without all of the atmosphere that he provides, and this is one of the best examples of him and Colin taking the forefront. Echoed vocals and haunting keyboards go alongside screeching guitars to make .3 anything but a filler piece.

38. My Ashes from Fear of a Blank Planet

Easily the most overlooked song off of Fear, the song is sandwiched between the heavy opener and the multifaceted centerpiece. A soft ballad that picks up as it goes on, the somber lyrics reference Bret Ellis' book Lunar Park, like much of the album. The later choruses are performed in such a way that the song "sinks in" more than one would expect. Another song whose choruses are taken by John Wesley when performed live, to good result.

37. Sever from Signify

Wacky effects, strange lyrics, and cackling samples are all hallmarks of early PT, but Sever pulls out all the stops and does it best. Bonus points to the song for the rendition of it on the new Anesthetize DVD, where the song comes off as even more rocking and chaotic than the album version. Like much of Signify, it's awfully dreary, but then again, so is most of Porcupine Tree. Amidst the chaos, it still winds up being a catchy song. Who knew?

36. Sleep Together from Fear of a Blank Planet

Fear's closer shares a lot with The Incident's title track in the sense that they just touch upon an electronic sound, but aren't quite. I feel like a broken record, but Anesthetize does this song nothing but favors as well, as Steven shouts the chorus quite angrily, giving an otherwise quiet, dark song an extra edge. It wraps up the album quite nicely with a good solo and its final keyboard fade out.
caw caw

Offline Marvellous G

« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2010, 05:15:08 AM »
All good choices, and I especially agree that My Ashes needs more love than it gets.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2010, 06:55:27 AM »
I understand the appeal of these lists. I have done many of them myself, each of which was infinitely more boring than any of the ones in this thread.

But this is becoming overkill, guys. From now on we should only do one a month max.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2010, 01:55:51 PM »
At least I kept it in one thread.  :\
caw caw

Offline Sintheros

• The Thunder Panda!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2010, 06:26:40 PM »
Anyway....

35. Piano Lessons from Stupid Dream

When I was putting this list together, I was consistently surprised at how low this song kept slipping. I'm quite fond of the song, but so many other Porcupine Tree songs are much better. There's another song farther up the list which I feel the same way about. Possibly PT's 'catchiest' song for what it's worth, or at the very least their most blatantly single-esque (or would that be Four Chords that Made a Million?), Piano Lessons is still in the top half of Stupid Dream tracks in my book, and what it lacks in depth it makes up for by being an all around good song.

34. Lips of Ashes from In Absentia

On the reverse side of the scale, Lips of Ashes is gushing in depth, and bears the closest resemblance stylistically to .3 from the same album. The song slowly creeps along until it reaches the "la la" part at the end, which can only be described by hearing it alongside the musical outro that plays behind it. The only thing Lips of Ashes doesn't do is take advantage of the high point Trains finishes on, but I can hardly fault the song for that.

33. Normal from Nil Recurring

Now for the other two songs off of Nil Recurring, and it should be fairly obvious what they are. The first song actually written for Fear, but cut due to sounding a bit samey to the rest of the record, the chorus and themes became the lighter, shorter, Sentimental. While I prefer Sentimental to its big brother, Normal is certainly the darker of the two and has significantly more depth. The song spins through a number of movements in its brief 7 minutes, including a portion at the very end that contains a great harmony.

32. Stars Die from The Sky Moves Sideways

Seeing this song live bumped it up heavily in my rankings. It might not have even made the list. Stars Die is a great blend of their mid-era slower tracks and their early-era atmosphere. The lyrics are spoken softly in the album in this fragile song, which would give the impression that it wouldn't translate well live. Instead, this rather soft song went over extremely well, providing a break from the heaviness in the form of a brief moment of stellar atmosphere.

31. What Happens Now? from Nil Recurring

I'm starting to feel like a broken record. Atmosphere atmosphere atmosphere. My favorite from Nil Recurring, this song features a stellar vocal performance, though it is a brief one for the song's length, and an amazing second half filled with instrumental that reminds me of the title track of The Sky Moves Sideways and other lengthy experimental instrumental passages of that time. One of the most unique songs of their 'modern' era, and it gets all the live play that it deserves.
caw caw

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
Stars Die.  :tup

It would be much higher on my list, though. I love it.
I AM A GUY