Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 177771 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
I'm still waiting for the Eclair update for the Cliq, I won't get Flash since it's a first generation Android phone... but I am looking forward to getting the Galaxy S
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2010, 02:15:59 PM »
Rumborak, apparently, the version of 2.2 we have at the moment isn't the final build:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/google-on-android-2-2-feverishly-working-to-get-a-final-versio/

Considering Google's typically feverish pace in deploying new Android builds, we'll admit -- we kind of expected Android 2.2 Froyo to be released to retail Nexus Ones by now... but no dice. So, where is it? The company hasn't committed to a firm date for a global roll-out yet, but there's official word from an Android employee over on the Nexus One's support forums this week that FRF72 is not the final update and that a release "will only happen once a release candidate meets [their] quality criteria." Korean versions of the phone were pegged to launch with 2.2 this week, so any way you slice it, it can't be long now.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2010, 03:32:12 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2010, 07:43:45 PM »
Rumborak, apparently, the version of 2.2 we have at the moment isn't the final build:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/google-on-android-2-2-feverishly-working-to-get-a-final-versio/

Considering Google's typically feverish pace in deploying new Android builds, we'll admit -- we kind of expected Android 2.2 Froyo to be released to retail Nexus Ones by now... but no dice. So, where is it? The company hasn't committed to a firm date for a global roll-out yet, but there's official word from an Android employee over on the Nexus One's support forums this week that FRF72 is not the final update and that a release "will only happen once a release candidate meets [their] quality criteria." Korean versions of the phone were pegged to launch with 2.2 this week, so any way you slice it, it can't be long now.

Oh, I was completely aware of that. The leaked version of 2.2 was FRF50A btw, so quite a few versions before FRF72.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: June 23, 2010, 12:52:06 AM »
2 months and I will be an Android guy...

I'm couting down the days :caffeine:

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #111 on: June 23, 2010, 05:04:24 PM »
Damn Verizon and Motorola making my next phone choice so difficult. Now I really don't know if I want the Incredible or the X when it's released next month.

Incredible: HTC Sense UI, smaller overall form factor, nice build quality, glowing reviews

DroidX: Large gorgeous screen, 720p video capture, multi-mic voice system, processor that 'reportedly' consumes less power than the Snapdragon in the Incredible, multi-touch keyboard with Swype option, promise of an official Froyo release by the end of summer - but it's very large and has MOTOBLUR, albeit a less obtrusive version.

I DON'T KNOW WHICH TO GET!!!
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #112 on: June 23, 2010, 06:39:37 PM »
I'm leaning towards the X...i'm still a bit iffy on the whole touchscreen typing thing, but I think that the larger screen on the X (combined with Swype) would work well for me.

I tried a friend's EVO the other day, which is about the same size, and I didn't find it to be problematic in terms of size.

I like that the X can support 32GB miscroSD cards.  The Inc doesn't, as far as I've seen.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #113 on: June 23, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »
i will be evo'd on august 3rd.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #114 on: June 23, 2010, 07:02:53 PM »
I just updated my N1 to Froyo 2.2 FRF83. Sweeet.... :D

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #115 on: June 23, 2010, 07:57:42 PM »
I'm leaning toward the X. Really the only thing irking me is the Inc runs Sense and the X doesn't.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #116 on: June 23, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
Also, why the fuck is Apple suing HTC over the Sense UI?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2010, 11:47:18 PM »
That's been going on for ages. HTC are also counter suing against them.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #118 on: June 24, 2010, 05:29:14 PM »
I read yesterday that this one is a new lawsuit over Sense UI.

Also, it's a pretty sure thing I won't get the 2.1 update on the Cliq in the timeline Motorola had since, I don't know, JANUARY! If I knew something about rooting a phone I would've already done it to get 2.1.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #119 on: June 25, 2010, 04:34:39 AM »
https://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/06/05/playstation-emulator-to-hit-android-soon-playstation-emulator-ported-to-android-to-be-released-soon/

One question though:
There’s no telling how or when the emulator will be made publicly available but chances are you’re going to be forced to root your Android device to get the software running.

When the article says 'root your Android device', what does that actually mean? I'm guessing it's going to void the warranty?

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: June 25, 2010, 04:46:24 AM »
Hmmm, does it give any reasons for having to root the phone?

You don't have to root the phone for the other emulators :S

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: June 25, 2010, 05:20:53 AM »
I can’t really see Google letting such an app slide into their Android Marketplace considering Apple has rejected such applications in the past leading developers to release them only to jailbroken devices.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: June 25, 2010, 05:25:12 AM »
That guy obviously has no idea.

There's already Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advance, SNES, NES and Genesis/Mega Drive emulators all over the market that you don't have to root you phone to get (you just get them off the normal market place).

In fact, the PSX emulator they're making will be based on the Gameboy Advance emulator already on the market (you can see the test picture they've got in that article using an old version of the Gameboy Advance controls).

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2010, 05:39:29 AM »
Do you know if N64 in the works? I NEED Ocarina of Time on a phone.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: June 25, 2010, 05:59:12 AM »
They'll be releasing an N64 emulator after the PSX emulator.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #125 on: June 25, 2010, 06:00:31 AM »

:caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2010, 06:01:24 AM »
INB4 That's the Windows phone. I know, I just realised. But still.... :caffeine:

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #128 on: June 26, 2010, 09:22:49 PM »
Yeah I've seen preliminary video reviews & the UI looks pretty tight.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2010, 08:45:26 AM »
My Droid saved my ass this weekend.  The band was playing a wedding.  We were playing background music for dinner, dollar dance songs, etc.  I had been given a list of tunes to have on my iPod, so that we could play them through the PA.  Apparently I am so particularly focused on the actual list of songs, that I didn't notice that at the top were the bride and groom's names and their wedding/bridal dance song.  So I show up at the gig after having left without my iPod and having to turn around to get it (fortunately I wasn't far along), to my guitarist asking "You got "Far Away" by Nickelback, right".

Oh shit.

No, I didn't.  I had not even seen it, because it wasn't in the actual "list" of songs, it was at the top with their names, which I said "unimportant info - download the list".  So we're like "Well, we could drive into town and try to find a place to get the CD, but they're on the way and we have no CD player."

Then I stop in my tracks.  Wait one minute!

I drive down the road about a mile because there is ZERO RECEPTION whatsoever.  I NEED internet access.  I find a place where I can get a little reception.  I bring up my Amazon mp3 Store app.  Download the song for $0.99.  Come back victorious, albeit pissed that I gave Nickelback one single fucking penny (it will be the first and last time I will ever spend anything on Nickelback).  We plug my phone into the PA system and play the song without incident.

My Droid kicks ass.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2010, 08:47:23 AM »
The user manual for the Droid X leaked today.

I WANT THAT PHONE.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2010, 08:56:02 AM »
:lol Giving Nickelback money :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2010, 09:06:01 AM »
It makes my blood boil just thinking about it.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2010, 09:13:33 AM »
I want the Incredible so badly. GADGET LUST!

the Evo 4G looks neat too, but apparently it can't go a quarter of a day without needing to be charged.

Very true, my buddy has an EVO, he loves the hell out of it but is going to get rid of it. After some light use it still has a horrible battery life. Some light web browsing, a few texts, one or two 5 minute calls and he is at half battery.

It was so bad that he sent it back to get it replaced thinking it was defective, it wasn't :(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2010, 11:43:45 AM »
Is he running on the 4G network?

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #135 on: June 28, 2010, 05:27:21 PM »
Pre-ordered my X today!!
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #136 on: June 28, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
I can't preorder through Best Buy because they don't handle Verizon's annual upgrades. Looks like I'll be heading to the Verizon store on the 15th.

Offline millahh

• Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »
I can't preorder through Best Buy because they don't handle Verizon's annual upgrades. Looks like I'll be heading to the Verizon store on the 15th.

Really?  I did my preorder at BestBuy, as my Verizon upgrade.  Given, this is the two-year upgrade rather than the one year, but the guy didn't even ask me which it was.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2010, 12:35:06 AM »
I just updated my N1 to Froyo 2.2 FRF83. Sweeet.... :D

rumborak

Just doing that now. Any major differences between the builds or is it just bug fixes etc. ?

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2010, 07:09:33 AM »
Really?  I did my preorder at BestBuy, as my Verizon upgrade.  Given, this is the two-year upgrade rather than the one year, but the guy didn't even ask me which it was.

Two year upgrade is treated differently as it is the "end" of your contract and you are re-upping. The annual upgrade is just a promotion to let you get the latest and greatest at contract price.