Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 177754 times)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
The Official Android Thread
« on: June 01, 2010, 03:06:07 PM »
Just so we're not clogging up the Apple thread!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:11 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »
Got my Android phone back in November and I don't see myself getting any other OS on a phone!! It completely owns!!

That's my Android phone, still waiting on the 2.1 OTA update. Which should come this month.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »
I own a Nexus One. Just waiting for the 2.2 FroYo OTA update (Nexus One gets it first). I am tempted to manually update it but it's a bit risky, apparently.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:15:51 PM »
And I read it's not the complete FroYo.

You're also suppose to the Flash Player support before the year is out. I am jealous!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 03:17:32 PM »
And I read it's not the complete FroYo.

You're also suppose to the Flash Player support before the year is out. I am jealous!
I think it is. It just doesn't have all the features mentioned at the Google I/O conference because they're not scheduled until the Gingerbread update.

I think the Froyo update brings Flash though :S

Two Android phones with a fair bit of buzz around them (that aren't out yet):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Evo_4G

Skype is coming to Android with video chat:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/skype-mobile-with-video-support-coming-to-android-market-later-t/

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 03:23:24 PM »
I've heard a lot about the Evo 4G, a looooot! But to me it looks like a modified HTC HD2.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 03:26:35 PM »
I want the Incredible so badly. GADGET LUST!

the Evo 4G looks neat too, but apparently it can't go a quarter of a day without needing to be charged.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 03:28:18 PM »
Yeah, that's probably if you're using 4G etc.

I can't imagine how badly that rapes your battery life.

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 03:29:17 PM »

the Evo 4G looks neat too, but apparently it can't go a quarter of a day without needing to be charged.
Thats why my phone (Samsung GT-E2120) is the best phone ever. It goes a 8 days before you need to plug it in!
Alright, so its got nothing going for it in every other way but still, bet your phone doesn't have a "fake call" feature so that you can pretend to have a phone call from a withheld number to get out of awkward social situations!
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 03:30:01 PM »
I love my Droid so much. It's so much better than an iPhone.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 03:30:24 PM »

Thats why my phone (Samsung GT-E2120) is the best phone ever. It goes a 8 days before you need to plug it in!
Alright, so its got nothing going for it in every other way but still, bet your phone doesn't have a "fake call" feature so that you can pretend to have a phone call from a withheld number to get out of awkward social situations!
I've got an app for that. I also have a call filter to never get those unknown number calls.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »
"There's an app for that" :neverusethis:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 03:32:05 PM »
Got my Android phone back in November and I don't see myself getting any other OS on a phone!! It completely owns!!

That's my Android phone, still waiting on the 2.1 OTA update. Which should come this month.
That looks gorgeous! I love touch screens for navigation but hate them for typing, so for my next phone I might well get something along those lines.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 03:33:03 PM »
The Samsung Galaxy S Pro will have a keyboard and it's got some damn epic specs.

Online Adami

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 03:33:33 PM »
Do any droid phones support Itunes?

That's my problem, I want to have all my songs/videos on my phone, but I hate AT&T, which is what you need for the Iphone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 03:33:40 PM »

I've got an app for that. I also have a call filter to never get those unknown number calls.
Aah but for this app, can you just hold a button down for a few secs whilst it is in your pocket or do you have to get it out and go through menus?
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »
Put a shortcut on your home page, I imagine.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 03:34:39 PM »

That looks gorgeous! I love touch screens for navigation but hate them for typing, so for my next phone I might well get something along those lines.

Bad thing about it is that the keys on this one are a little too bunch together for my liking, that Galaxy S Pro has a perfect keyboard!!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2010, 03:35:24 PM »

Aah but for this app, can you just hold a button down for a few secs whilst it is in your pocket or do you have to get it out and go through menus?

I do this:

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2010, 03:36:01 PM »
So is the second iteration of the Motorola Droid going to be vastly different than the original?

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 03:36:36 PM »

I do this:

OK I concede that my phone doesn't objectively win this competition then...
<br />

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »
I love my Droid! 

Verizon, Google, Motorolla i bow to you  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 03:39:38 PM »
So is the second iteration of the Motorola Droid going to be vastly different than the original?
Not much information on it at the moment.

https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/28/droid-2-keyboard-makes-a-qwerty-cameo/

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 03:40:08 PM »
But on this app you can also program the fake call, so if you get caught off guard you can take it out program it for 2-3 minutes later and put it back in your pocket.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2010, 03:41:07 PM »
Bad thing about it is that the keys on this one are a little too bunch together for my liking, that Galaxy S Pro has a perfect keyboard!!
I'm used to small keys anyway on my Blackberry. But that Galaxy S Pro sounds great!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2010, 03:43:04 PM »
I'm used to small keys anyway on my Blackberry. But that Galaxy S Pro sounds great!
Oh, I see. I had a Sidekick before, which has an excellent keyboard, so when I got this one I was kinda bummed out.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2010, 03:43:56 PM »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »
The Samsung Galaxy models have some fucking intense specs as well.

Really good looking phone. I'm thinking of getting it before I go back to uni...unless anything better comes out in the mean time.

Offline TimmyHiggy

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2010, 03:45:54 PM »
But on this app you can also program the fake call, so if you get caught off guard you can take it out program it for 2-3 minutes later and put it back in your pocket.
My phone's one isnt as programmable as that. If the keypad is locked you press the down button 4 times and 10 secs later it starts ringing. If the keypad is unlocked you just hold the down key for a couple of seconds and it will ring 10 secs later which is just the right amount of time to put it in your pocket and not look suspicious.
<br />

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2010, 03:46:37 PM »
https://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/15-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=16

The HTC Desire is delicious!!! But I want to check that list again once the new iPhone is out in the market.

I was adamant in changing my BlackBerry. How developed is the general mobile App world? Because the lovely BB Messenger is gonna be soon a thing of the past since new applications, like 'WhatsApp', are going to replace it. Data Plan is the new deal, and now not only BlackBerry and iPhone are dominating the market.

Still, I really want to communicate easily with my friends, and that's why I love the BB Messenger.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2010, 03:48:48 PM »
Android is actually ahead of the iPhone in the US market these days:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/npd-android-ousts-iphone-os-for-second-place-in-us-smartphone-m/

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 03:49:01 PM »
I had read that, they also surpass the iPhone OS completely with FroYo.

@ Emin: Is the BB Messenger the one that works with people who only have BB's or is that the Microsoft MSN?

Online Adami

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »
Do any droid phones support Itunes?

That's my problem, I want to have all my songs/videos on my phone, but I hate AT&T, which is what you need for the Iphone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2010, 03:52:22 PM »
Android is actually ahead of the iPhone in the US market these days:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/10/npd-android-ousts-iphone-os-for-second-place-in-us-smartphone-m/
What about emails? Are BlackBerry's still winning that fight of being extremely efficient in that matter?

@Dimitrus: Yes. But like I told you, if you have the WhatsApp application you can communicate with anyone who has a Data Plan. The only problem I've encountered is the "push" feature. So many messages are delivered like many hours later.