Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 178385 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #350 on: November 03, 2010, 03:50:53 AM »
Well, it's still not big enough.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #351 on: November 03, 2010, 03:56:59 AM »
TWSS :neverusethis:

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #352 on: November 03, 2010, 09:54:30 AM »
I bought 8pen yesterday and by now I feel like I have gotten used to it enough that i can construct messages pretty well with it. I think I can type faster with the Android touch keyboard but it's more fun to use 8pen, it's got potential

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #353 on: November 03, 2010, 03:59:46 PM »
What is the best app for making ring tones?

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #354 on: November 03, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
I always make my ringtones through audactity and transfer them over to my phone from my computer

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: November 03, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »
Ringdroid

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #356 on: November 03, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: November 03, 2010, 04:25:40 PM »
That app is the shit. I am trying to find a download of the presidents speech from ID4 for a message alert.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #359 on: November 03, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »
my evo does it from the music player, so no need :biggrin:
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #360 on: November 04, 2010, 07:23:51 AM »
Android 2.2 Can't Match iOS 4 Features: 10 Reasons Why

https://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Android-22-Cant-Match-iOS-4-Features-10-Reasons-Why-824283/

1. Google isn’t so big on software

Google’s real plan with Android is to dominate the mobile advertising space. It fully realizes that the best way to achieve that goal is by doing whatever it can to capitalize on the desire for touch-screen smartphones with the help of Android. That’s precisely why Google offers its operating system for free. But due to that focus on eventual mobile advertising dominance, Google falls short compared to Apple on software design.

2. Apple understands consumers

Apple understands what consumers want and how they will use a particular product. That comes through in all the products the company sells, including its iOS platform. Google, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to understand consumers as well as it could. It’s certainly doing a better job than most companies, but it still has a long way to go to match Apple. In fact, Google’s consumer understanding seems to be more Microsoft-like than Apple-like. And that could be a problem — especially for its operating system—going forward.

3. Multitasking

Multitasking on iOS is a key reason why Apple has enjoyed such success in the mobile market as of late. For years, consumers were hoping for true multitasking. But for years, the company made no promises. But in iOS 4, multitasking is running on the iPhone. Because of that, Google has a long way to go to match anything Apple is currently offering.

4. Folders make it all OK

Apple’s iOS platform is better than Android 2.2 for several major reasons. But one of the minor things that consumers should think about is Apple’s operating system’s folder support. With little effort, consumers can quickly create folders, lump similar programs together, and more. It provides a rewarding experience. And it’s something that Google has a long way to go on in order to catch up.

5. Ease of use must come into play

In any evaluation between two operating systems, ease of use must play a role. After all, if a particular operating system is easier to use for the average consumer than another, it should get the nod. In this case, iOS 4 easily gets the nod. Apple’s operating system is simply easier to use. And it doesn’t suffer from the strange quirks that arise on Android due to vendors trying to tailor the user experience to their own products.

6. Responsiveness

One of the main issues with Android 2.2 is that the software doesn’t respond as effectively as it should to the user when compared to iOS. Does that mean there is a responsiveness issue with Android 2.2? Absolutely not. In fact, compared to other operating systems, it holds up quite well. But Apple’s platform is different. It’s just that iOS simply provides more responsiveness when users interact with it. It could be extremely difficult for Google to catch up anytime soon.

7. Too many variations

Because Android is an open platform, vendors that get their hands on the operating system can change it however they see fit. That openness creates an environment across the Android ecosystem that loses uniformity and provides variations of the Android operating system on different phones. The result is sometimes spotty performance that must be taken into account when evaluating differences between iOS and Android.

8. Apple’s App Store

Apple’s App Store is integral to the success of iOS 4. With hundreds of thousands of applications, Apple’s marketplace is the best place to find programs that appeal to both consumers and enterprise customers. Admittedly, Google’s Android Market has been growing at a rapid rate, but it has a long way to go to match Apple’s store.

9. iTunes integration

Whenever users pick up an iOS-based device, they can access iTunes from the product. That’s extremely important. It provides them with an end-to-end entertainment experience that isn’t so readily available on Android. After all, iTunes is the world’s top music store. If only Apple’s products have access to it, few could say Google’s offering can best Apple’s.

10. The tablet issue

Google has said that Android 2.2 is not designed for tablets. Apple doesn’t have that issue with iOS 4. Currently, iOS 3 is running on the iPad. But this month, Apple plans to offer iOS 4 integration with its tablet. When that happens, the company will prove that its operating system is the best choice for just about anyone trying to go mobile. Then the onus will be on Google to respond.

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Yet, one month before the same writer did this: https://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Google-Android-OS-Secrets-to-Success-10-Reasons-Its-Now-on-Top-179122/

He's a good troll.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #361 on: November 08, 2010, 06:14:10 AM »
Downloaded an app this morning called Retro Camera. It has 5 types of old school cameras and lets you take some really interesting photos.

I imagine it would work better outside, but here are a few test shots I took this morning.

Some that I didn't like so much.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:22:32 AM by Chino »

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: November 08, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »
I've got that App and only use the second setting you posted (The Orange camera one I think?)

I take a lot of pictures using that :)

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #363 on: November 08, 2010, 02:13:10 PM »
https://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/open-handset-alliance-member-confirms-android-2-3-is-gingerbread/

For an "Open" Handset Alliance, Google has been keeping its cards rather close to its chest when it comes to the oft-discussed Gingerbread flavor of Android, specifically whether it would be another point release or could it be spicy enough to knock us up to 3.0. Now it's looking confirmed that Gingerbread is indeed 2.3, with Alvaro Fuentes Vasquez, member of the leadership team at the Open Handset Alliance (and who shall now be known as "The Gingerbread Man"), delivering this tweet:

"Prepare your Nexus One (Developer version) for Android OTA update 2.3 (Gingerbread) in the next few days :-D"

That's some good news for many N1 owners, and of course means it's time for those who possess other Android handsets to start with the hoping and the waiting.

Oh man, I wish I hadn't broken my Nexus One now (not that I did it on purpose)  :(

Edit: Also:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/11/08/rhapsody-on-android-now-works-offline-but-still-goes-online-too/

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #364 on: November 08, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
i think evo will get it pretty fast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #365 on: November 08, 2010, 04:35:30 PM »
I will have to revert my N1 to regular Froyo to get that update, yikes.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: November 08, 2010, 05:37:56 PM »
I'm picking up a 2 week old Droid 2 tomorrow for $230, upgrading from my original Droid.  Now I'll be eligible for the next update since it reportedly requires a minimum 1 GHz processor. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #367 on: November 08, 2010, 06:15:36 PM »
Two more that came out cool.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: November 08, 2010, 07:14:56 PM »
Still waiting for the official release of Froyo for my Galaxy S. I know there is a UK release but I don't wanna go through that trouble, well to be more frank, I don't have the time to play around with it yet.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: November 09, 2010, 07:04:34 AM »

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: November 11, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #372 on: November 11, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
hai guise.. i just joined the club as of last night. i got the HTC Incredible :O its a pretty neat phone. had really good reviews so i went with it...

....ONLY issue so far is that i had it fully charged as of 6am this morning.. and it was giving me the "15% battery life left" at around 4pm.... halp?

what are somethings you guys do to stop this from happening? also i rarely used it today.. just sat in my tool box at work really. :x

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #373 on: November 11, 2010, 07:37:31 PM »
not much you can do about it except maybe stop the auto refreshers for checking for mail messages etc. app killers actually make things worse so don't get that, they kill apps that start up right after they are killed which takes more battery life. the screens are just too powerful for the batteries so it's shit engineering. seidio makes better batteries for the phones, i may get one to upgrade the power.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #374 on: November 11, 2010, 07:43:07 PM »
not much you can do about it except maybe stop the auto refreshers for checking for mail messages etc. app killers actually make things worse so don't get that, they kill apps that start up right after they are killed which takes more battery life. the screens are just too powerful for the batteries so it's shit engineering. seidio makes better batteries for the phones, i may get one to upgrade the power.

yeah ive noticed that.. kinda irked me.. i mean i still have 30 days to see if i wanna keep it.. and i absolutly love the phone other than the battery life lol.. i guess ill just get a car charger perhaps

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #375 on: November 11, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »
they are too awesome to just give up, and i'm hoping that the gingerbread will have some tweaks to save battery life since it's designed for the upper tier phones with big processors only.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #376 on: November 11, 2010, 08:30:11 PM »
return it for a droid x. i dont have issues with battery unless i use it heavily

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #377 on: November 11, 2010, 08:40:28 PM »
The battery issue is a bug...try "bump charging", or else buy the big battery.  I got the massive one for my wife's DInc, and it has solves all batter problems (though the phone now looks pregnant).
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #378 on: November 11, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
The battery issue is a bug...try "bump charging", or else buy the big battery.  I got the massive one for my wife's DInc, and it has solves all batter problems (though the phone now looks pregnant).

bump charging?

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #379 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:28 PM »

bump charging?

Basically letting it charge to 100%, unplugging it for a few minutes (so it can recalibrate the battery sensor), then plugging it back in.

Ghetto, yes.  But it apparently works.

Also, check out this thread:
https://androidforums.com/incredible-tips-tricks/72539-i-found-fixed-htc-incredible-battery-bug.html
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #380 on: November 12, 2010, 07:35:04 AM »
hai guise.. i just joined the club as of last night. i got the HTC Incredible :O its a pretty neat phone. had really good reviews so i went with it...

....ONLY issue so far is that i had it fully charged as of 6am this morning.. and it was giving me the "15% battery life left" at around 4pm.... halp?

what are somethings you guys do to stop this from happening? also i rarely used it today.. just sat in my tool box at work really. :x

Did you let the battery completely die before you put it on the charger for the first time?

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #381 on: November 12, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
I have a glaxay S and I had some shit battery life when I first got it, but after some tweaks I can get it going for a full day and half of use.

Cut 3g off unless you're using it, lower brightness on your screen, and just watch programs that auto-refresh.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #382 on: November 13, 2010, 01:04:54 AM »

Did you let the battery completely die before you put it on the charger for the first time?

no but i did that after and now the battery lasts me like a day and a half which is beautiful +________+

im loving this phone more and more every second i use it...

GIMME SOME COOL APPS IMO

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #383 on: November 13, 2010, 01:29:12 AM »
You want cool apps in your opinion?

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #384 on: November 13, 2010, 02:14:47 AM »
Why hello Dimitrius, welcome to the internet.