Author Topic: The Official Android Thread  (Read 177745 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: The Official Android Thread
« Reply #280 on: September 13, 2010, 01:21:16 PM »
Hey Dimi, I might be getting one of them there Cliqs.  A couple of questions:  Motoblur seems useless to me.  Is it there by default and how much trouble is it to get rid of?  Do you use the GPS much and how is it?  Does it seem reasonably durable? 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #281 on: September 13, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »
Hey Dimi, I might be getting one of them there Cliqs.  A couple of questions:  Motoblur seems useless to me.  Is it there by default and how much trouble is it to get rid of?  Do you use the GPS much and how is it?  Does it seem reasonably durable? 
Yes, Motoblur is the default interface but it's no trouble to get rid off. You could download LauncherPro and use that as your default "home" (this is what I do) and you'd be done with Motoblur or you could simply hack the Cliq (pretty easy to do) and flash a ROM with another interface.

I haven't use the GPS much, but when I've it's been pretty good. Sometimes it might miss my location by a bit (say I was in a house and the GPS showed me 3 houses over), but in terms of navigation it's been good.

Durable, the phone itself? Yeah it is, I have it on one of the rubber guard things but the phone can take a beating. The battery is another question, if you have too many apps running or too many notifications the battery will die quickly, Motorola had to released an OTA update where you can set up different battery profiles to save energy and even then it's pretty bad when you're running Motoblur.

Bottom line: get rid of Motoblur and if you want to get 2.1, hack. If you decide to hack for 2.1, let me know so I can link you to one of the best 2.1 ROMs around.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #282 on: September 14, 2010, 05:06:55 AM »

Dont. It has problems with the USB/Charging port. mine stopped charging... and i noticed there was a nice crack in the inside of the port. Did the research... and it has happened to alot of people.  Since then it has only charged once in a great while...
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #283 on: September 14, 2010, 06:49:06 AM »
BTW, the official Flash Player update came OTA.  Sweet.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #284 on: September 14, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »

Dont. It has problems with the USB/Charging port. mine stopped charging... and i noticed there was a nice crack in the inside of the port. Did the research... and it has happened to alot of people.  Since then it has only charged once in a great while...
Yeah, I went and played with one during lunch, and that whole slide out mechanism kinda gives me the willies.  Nowadays, you have to be confident that your phone will survive the 2 year contract.  None of the slider phones instilled much of that confidence. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #286 on: September 14, 2010, 11:31:51 PM »
Hey Dimi, I might be getting one of them there Cliqs.  A couple of questions:  Motoblur seems useless to me.  Is it there by default and how much trouble is it to get rid of?  Do you use the GPS much and how is it?  Does it seem reasonably durable?  

Dont. It has problems with the USB/Charging port. mine stopped charging... and i noticed there was a nice crack in the inside of the port. Did the research... and it has happened to alot of people.  Since then it has only charged once in a great while...
Really? I've gotten no problem with that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:38:50 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #287 on: September 18, 2010, 12:38:36 PM »
Does anybody have Swype on their phone?  I'm curious if it actually works as advertised. 
E.F. Benson

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: September 18, 2010, 12:39:37 PM »
I know Hyperplex has it. He seems quite impressed with it but I don't think he uses it that often.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #289 on: September 18, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
Indeed. Swype is very impressive, though I have found that I spend more time thinking about the paths I need to draw than I do the words I want to say. It's an amazing typing tool, though, and you should try it out to see if it suits you. Personally, I'm too used to a standard keystroke-style input to switch completely.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #290 on: September 18, 2010, 03:52:44 PM »
Indeed. Swype is very impressive, though I have found that I spend more time thinking about the paths I need to draw than I do the words I want to say. It's an amazing typing tool, though, and you should try it out to see if it suits you. Personally, I'm too used to a standard keystroke-style input to switch completely.
Yeah, I was considering the thought process involved.  Seems like it'd be a lot like trying to learn to write again.  The thing is, I have big, clumsy thumbs, so a regular virtual keyboard is a real drag for me. 
E.F. Benson

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #291 on: September 18, 2010, 04:06:43 PM »
Does anybody have Swype on their phone?  I'm curious if it actually works as advertised. 

Swype came pre installed on my galaxy, it's great if I'm typing with one thumb but I much prefer using the touch based android keyboard with predictive test, I type faster on that then on my blackberry.

Also, advanced task killer is such a great program, my battery life increased at least 200% since using it (also brightness app helps a lot too)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #292 on: September 18, 2010, 04:13:54 PM »
I completely forgot I had swype on my phone until just now. It works great!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #293 on: September 18, 2010, 07:38:01 PM »
So I just got a Droid 2 yesterday and it's pretty nifty and stuff (not to mention expensive). I know the battery life is a little weak on it, but mine ran out after about an hour of use and nine hours of standby. I think what I'm doing wrong is having apps running in the background when I don't need them and that's draining the battery. Obviously I'm a bit of a droid noob, but does that sound feasible? And how do I shut them down?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #294 on: September 18, 2010, 07:41:38 PM »
You need a task killer app, like Advance Task Killer.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: September 19, 2010, 03:02:20 AM »
You might also want to make sure that the Apps aren't set to auto refresh every 5 mins. I've got mine set up for every hour.

Oh and turn off GPS, Wi-FI and Bluetooth when not in use.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #296 on: September 19, 2010, 08:44:47 AM »
To be honest, after I deleted Advanced Task Killer from my Droid, the performance improved quite a bit.  Ever notice that when you go to kill tasks, there are things open that you didn't even open?  Then when you do it again later, those things are again open?  Apparently the Droid OS isn't like Windows where open apps kill performance.  Droid opens certain things from time to time that it needs to run optimally.  Killing those things only impedes performance and makes Droid have to reopen it.  I had a link with more info but I cannot seem to find it.  I'll keep looking.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #297 on: September 19, 2010, 09:14:20 AM »
To be honest, after I deleted Advanced Task Killer from my Droid, the performance improved quite a bit.  Ever notice that when you go to kill tasks, there are things open that you didn't even open?  Then when you do it again later, those things are again open?  Apparently the Droid OS isn't like Windows where open apps kill performance.  Droid opens certain things from time to time that it needs to run optimally.  Killing those things only impedes performance and makes Droid have to reopen it.  I had a link with more info but I cannot seem to find it.  I'll keep looking.
Yeah I did notice that. Is that the auto refresh thing cthrubuoy is talking about? How do you set that time?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #298 on: September 19, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »
Oh and turn off GPS, Wi-FI and Bluetooth when not in use.

You can set up widgets to turn these on and off.  Very cool.

Yeah I did notice that. Is that the auto refresh thing cthrubuoy is talking about? How do you set that time?

Not sure, but I'd guess so.  Don't know how to change that.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: September 19, 2010, 01:23:32 PM »

This.  You should also leave your GPS on if you're going to be using it at all, because if you're not using GPS in an app, you're not using any extra battery life, but the constant turning on and off of the GPS will drain your battery more.  Wifi and Bluetooth you can turn off if you're moving around a lot as it will constantly scan for new networks/devices. 

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
A handy thing to check is your battery usage. it tells you what has been using what percentage of your battery.

Mine is currently:
Cell standby - 25%
Android System - 24%
Wi-Fi - 23%
Phone Idle - 19%
Display - 7%
Angry Birds - 2%

As you can see, I haven't used my phone much today...

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #301 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
Using my phone for tethering for the first time, it works quite well on a 3G network.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #302 on: October 06, 2010, 03:05:52 PM »
Is there some way to customize ringtones? Like when I get a text from my mom it'll sound different than someone else?

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: October 06, 2010, 04:01:29 PM »
Is there some way to customize ringtones? Like when I get a text from my mom it'll sound different than someone else?

Go to your contact list, select the contact, hit the menu button, go to options, and select ringtone. 

Also, I highly recommend the app "Zedge".  It's a great app for wallpapers and ringtones and it actually replaces your ringtone manager on your phone. 

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: October 06, 2010, 04:56:01 PM »

For custom text tones I use the feature in chompsms.

It's such a great text app.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #305 on: October 06, 2010, 04:57:41 PM »
Just downloaded Skype for Android this morning, feels good man. Though they need to get the video call going, Evo is sitting idly with the front facing camera.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: October 06, 2010, 05:04:13 PM »
I downloaded it as well but it seems to be getting a slating from everyone...

Haven't tried it out myself

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #307 on: October 06, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »
i'm not too worried about it, they just released it, i expect updates within the week or two after all the bugs are spotted.

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #308 on: October 20, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Several sites are reporting that Android 3.0 Gingerbread will be released in a couple of weeks, one of the main things is the visual chat upgrade which the skype doesn't have yet, this should rock.

it's only for 1GHz and up phones though, sorry kids.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #309 on: October 20, 2010, 02:30:05 PM »
In other news, the full version of 'Angry Birds' is out for the Droids, and it is awesome.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #310 on: October 20, 2010, 02:31:30 PM »
It's been out (and free) for a few days now on the Android Market.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: October 20, 2010, 03:09:12 PM »
Several sites are reporting that Android 3.0 Gingerbread will be released in a couple of weeks, one of the main things is the visual chat upgrade which the skype doesn't have yet, this should rock.

it's only for 1GHz and up phones though, sorry kids.

Sweet, I'm a big Skype user although I'm using the old version since the new one doesn't support Galaxy S yet :(

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #312 on: October 20, 2010, 05:41:50 PM »
I thought it was gonna be released around December, at least I read some rumor about that. But this is cool anyway.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #313 on: October 20, 2010, 08:08:23 PM »
I'll chime in on Swype:  I love it, and have no idea how I lived without it.  It took me ten of fifteen minutes to completely adjust, but there's no going back for me.  I'm as fast as I was on my Blackberry, if not a bit faster.

I've decided that I'm going to root once the fixes for 2.2 on the X get rolled out...I'm having conceptual issues with the bloatware, and want to be able to better control my battery usage.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #314 on: October 20, 2010, 09:52:32 PM »
Man, they better have put good audio support into 3.0.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."