Poll

What's Your Opinion On This Album?

5 (Excellent)
4 (Really Good)
3 (Good)
2 (Mediocre)
1 (Terrible)

Author Topic: From 1-5 Rate Systematic Chaos  (Read 15836 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
Re: From 1-5 Rate Systematic Chaos
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2010, 08:51:57 PM »
It is bizarre to me that one could like any one band so much more than other bands to call a mediocre release by their standards amazing by everyone else's.

For instance. I like Godsmack (call me crazy), so when they release a good rockin album, I dig it. However, if DT released a Godsmack CD, I'd think it was horrible.

I understand this logic when utilized in regards to some bands. For example, "There are some bands who would kill to write an album as good as a mediocre Dream Theater album".

However, I interpreted your original post as though you were saying all bands would kill to write an album as good as a mediocre Dream Theater album.

Like I said, it is bizarre to me that one could like any one band so much more than other bands to call a mediocre release by their standards amazing by everyone else's.

Amazing by some bands' standards? Sure.

By all bands' standards? Not so sure.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2010, 08:53:29 PM »
Didn't say that at all. I just hold SOME bands to higher standards. And thus when they release an album that is below those standards, yet higher than standards I hold SOME other bands too, they are looked down upon by me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2010, 01:30:22 AM »
TOX, you're so unseasoned.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2010, 02:37:12 AM »
I dunno I can see where TOX comes from. After being exposed to a broad variety of music, SC just sucks no matter where you place it. Even if a 'lesser' band released the same album I'd still be listening to it at the same frequency at which I do, which is almost never.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2010, 02:57:47 AM »
I dunno I can see where TOX comes from. After being exposed to a broad variety of music, SC just sucks no matter where you place it. Even if a 'lesser' band released the same album I'd still be listening to it at the same frequency at which I do, which is almost never.

All this. 2/5, gets to be above a 1 if only because of the first few minutes of both ITPOE Pt. 1 and Repentance.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2010, 04:40:37 AM »
Replace "no matter where you place it" with "no matter where I place it" and you make a reasonable point, and it's all subjective after all. But don't try to make out that listening to a broad variety makes a difference to everyone's opinion because I listen to probably as broad a spectrum of styles and moods of music as anyone else here and I think it's a solid album. In fact, I'd even say it's probably one of the reasons I like the album, I listen to so much different stuff and yet no other album is quite like SC.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.