Author Topic: How many studio albums do you think Dream Theater will have by...  (Read 10964 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: How many studio albums do you think Dream Theater will have by...
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »
And I wonder how many permanently "DT ended at SFAM" malcontents there will be after the release of the 15th album. :biggrin:

Does it matter? Doesn't every band with a vast discography have such a pocket of fans? It seems like you're anticipating another argument about modern DT where this is one. You must be a sadist  ;)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2010, 04:52:38 PM »
and Myung not getting even more disinterested in the band and not wanting to outright work anymore.

Please tell me how you know this to be unequivocally true

What, him supposedly being disinterested in the band?  I would say the fact that he doesn't write lyrics anymore, plus the widely-held belief that Jordan Rudess writes a lot of his bass lines for him, leads many of us to believe that his overall interest isn't as high as it used to be.  That is what I meant by that, but I never said it was unequivocally true, so please don't put words in my mouth. :)

I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. It sounded like you knew for sure he's not interested in the band anymore.

I don't think him not writing lyrics = no interest in the projects. And as for the bassline, the only one I know of that JR wrote was for Raw Dog, so unless you can point to more examples of such, I'm disinclined to believe it :P

ACID_FOX did some of the work for me already:

Not just that, but theres the fact that his basslines are becoming way less interesting and original, regardless of whether or not he wrote them. The fact that he's content to double JP nowadays, whereas in the early days his basslines would be nothing short of outstanding, just seems to show that his input has severley decreased.

And I will add that just watch him live.  Back in the WDADU and I&W days, he was pretty active on stage, moving around and head-banging like crazy.  Now, he just stands there like a statue and plays, almost like he just showed up to do his job until he is finished and can go home. 

I am not saying he is flat-out disinterested in Dream Theater altogether, but I think there are enough factors to indicate that his interest level isn't as high as it used to be. 

Offline TL

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2010, 07:30:54 PM »
Minimum, 15.

JR may be older than the rest of them, but as someone pointed out, the keyboardist doesn't have to move around unless they want to. He also has a fairly youthful, energetic vibe about him, so I don't see him slowing down any time soon.

I don't think JMX is as disinterested as some people think. When I saw them live back in August, I was sitting off of his side of the stage, and he seemed really into it. Ultimately, there's really no way for any of us to know, unless someone here knows him personally.

With the way JLB takes care of his voice these days, I think he has a while left with his current range, even factoring in age. Even if he loses a bit of his range, he'll still be able to sing. Look at Geddy Lee; he's lost a lot more of his range than JLB has, and Rush is still releasing new material.

That brings it down to MP and JP, and I can't see either of them wanting to call it quits in the foreseeable future.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2010, 07:46:51 PM »
I think it will be another 3 or 4 albums before they call it quits...(that thought makes me feel bad lol, Dream Theater's been the band I have followed with most passion)
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:04 PM »
ACID_FOX did some of the work for me already:

Not just that, but theres the fact that his basslines are becoming way less interesting and original, regardless of whether or not he wrote them. The fact that he's content to double JP nowadays, whereas in the early days his basslines would be nothing short of outstanding, just seems to show that his input has severley decreased.

And I will add that just watch him live.  Back in the WDADU and I&W days, he was pretty active on stage, moving around and head-banging like crazy.  Now, he just stands there like a statue and plays, almost like he just showed up to do his job until he is finished and can go home. 

I am not saying he is flat-out disinterested in Dream Theater altogether, but I think there are enough factors to indicate that his interest level isn't as high as it used to be. 

I've often gotten the impression that JMX has been essentially forced out creatively by JR/JP/MP. I find it hard to believe that he is 'content' to just double JP. He's a very creative bassist, as is shown through every album prior to SC. Once the new creative trio decided to go in a new direction, they essentially shut JMX out. Or at least that's how I see it...

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »
Rush is working on their 19th album, and I don't see why Dream Theater couldn't eventually reach a similar number.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 08:31:49 PM »
PLM, I wouldn't be surprised if that is true, but it is quite a leap, nonetheless. ;)

Rush is working on their 19th album, and I don't see why Dream Theater couldn't eventually reach a similar number.

Too many different variables, so it really isn't a good comparison. 

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2010, 08:32:52 PM »
There is a big difference which makes almost impossible for Dream Theater to reach a similar number. As far as I understand, bands released albums much more frequently during the 70s-80s period than nowadays.

Just compare these figures: Dream Theater has released 10 studio albums in 22 years (1989-2010), so it takes them around 2.2 years to release an album, and assuming they release an album in 2011, the average would be 2.1 years between albums. Rush had already released 15 studio albums during their first 22 years, and had an average of 1.4375 years between albums during their first 23 years of existence.

That would make Mike Portnoy 52 years old when they release their 15th album, whereas Neil Peart was 41 when Rush did so. Even though Rush has slowed down a lot in the last decade, I donīt see DT ever making their 19th album.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 08:41:09 PM by reneranucci »

Offline TL

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
Agreeing with the preceeding post, Rush put out albums pretty rapidly in their early years. For some perspective, two years after they started releasing albums, Rush had already put out 4 records.
On the subject of Rush, it will be interesting to see if, a few years from now, they're up for rounding their album total to a nice even 20.

That being said, while they almost definitely won't release as many albums as Rush, DT have many, many album making years ahead of them.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2010, 12:11:35 AM »
There is a big difference which makes almost impossible for Dream Theater to reach a similar number. As far as I understand, bands released albums much more frequently during the 70s-80s period than nowadays.

Just compare these figures: Dream Theater has released 10 studio albums in 22 years (1989-2010), so it takes them around 2.2 years to release an album, and assuming they release an album in 2011, the average would be 2.1 years between albums. Rush had already released 15 studio albums during their first 22 years, and had an average of 1.4375 years between albums during their first 23 years of existence.

That would make Mike Portnoy 52 years old when they release their 15th album, whereas Neil Peart was 41 when Rush did so. Even though Rush has slowed down a lot in the last decade, I donīt see DT ever making their 19th album.
Sadly, these numbers might have helped me.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
Well, albums were a heck of a lot SHORTER back then, too! If DT were playing in the 70s, they'd probably have like 20 albums already. The important thing is how much music they've put out. If you go just by judging the length of songs, I don't see why DT can't reach Rush eventually.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2010, 09:42:51 AM »
Well, albums were a heck of a lot SHORTER back then, too! If DT were playing in the 70s, they'd probably have like 20 albums already. The important thing is how much music they've put out. If you go just by judging the length of songs, I don't see why DT can't reach Rush eventually.
An interesting point.  Just checked itunes and Rush has over 13 hours of music (studio albums), whereas DT already has over 12 hours.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2010, 09:47:48 AM »
And I wonder how many permanently "DT ended at SFAM" malcontents there will be after the release of the 15th album. :biggrin:

Does it matter? Doesn't every band with a vast discography have such a pocket of fans? It seems like you're anticipating another argument about modern DT where this is one. You must be a sadist  ;)
Nah, it was meant mostly as a joke.

Yes, exactly. It has become a kind of standard for bands to release an album every two years - I don't know exactly how long ago, but it mostly is like that and seems to be taken as a general rule. In the past, it was much more frequent, now more than 10 albums within 20 years is rather impressive, and there are bands who had 10 albums in a bit over 10 years, when they were working in the 70s.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2010, 09:52:35 AM »
Yeah, we're taking into account most DT albums are on the 70+ minutes borderline.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »
Every DT album starting from Awake has more than 70 minutes, which is quite impressive.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2010, 10:32:59 AM »
Frankly, it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean.

And in this case that is actually true.

Luckily DT have kept up quantity and quality.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2010, 10:35:52 AM »
Frankly, it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »
An interesting point.  Just checked itunes and Rush has over 13 hours of music (studio albums), whereas DT already has over 12 hours.
Definitely a very good point. So actually we have the same amount of music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 11:25:12 AM »
The Flower Kings destroy them both.  10 studio albums in 12 years (1995-2007), four of which were doubles, so, really, they did 14 albums (all of which exceed 60 minutes, and most of which exceed 70 minutes) in 12 years, coming to almost 17 hours of original music.  Not sure anyone can top that, even Zappa (who released a ton of albums, but many of them were in the 30-35 minute range), when it comes to quantity AND quality. :coolio

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 09:19:24 PM »
14 and a half.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 09:24:32 PM »
Not sure anyone can top that

One word: Merzbow.

(At least) 248 studio albums, 32 EPs, and 58 live albums since 1980.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 09:49:39 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merzbow_discography

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 10:28:20 PM »
I think 15 or 16. Given their recent schedule of working, and the current "hiccup" in said schedule, a late 2011 release for DTXI would mean DTXII would probably come out in 2013 or even 2014.

Their 13th album would probably then come out in 2015/1016, 14th in 2017/2018, and their 15th album in 2019/2020, just in time for a 35th Anniversary Tour. After that, maybe an EP or something between 2020-2024, then one final tour in 2025 to celebrate 40 Years of DT music, then probably call it quits. Hopefully the majority of the band is in top shape over the next 15 years to do something like this. If not, I don't want to see them turn in to Yes and tour with 3/5ths of the band as we know them now.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »
So Sigz, I was wondering, how many Merzbow albums have you got?
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline The Clairvoyant

« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2010, 09:05:26 AM »
I think 15 or 16. Given their recent schedule of working, and the current "hiccup" in said schedule, a late 2011 release for DTXI would mean DTXII would probably come out in 2013 or even 2014.

Their 13th album would probably then come out in 2015/1016, 14th in 2017/2018, and their 15th album in 2019/2020, just in time for a 35th Anniversary Tour. After that, maybe an EP or something between 2020-2024, then one final tour in 2025 to celebrate 40 Years of DT music, then probably call it quits. Hopefully the majority of the band is in top shape over the next 15 years to do something like this. If not, I don't want to see them turn in to Yes and tour with 3/5ths of the band as we know them now.

-Marc.

Let's hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Online BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2010, 09:09:13 AM »
Mark, that theory looks pretty realistic, I think they'd do something like that too

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2010, 09:09:41 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merzbow_discography

Alright...one of their I-don't-know-how-many albums is called "Nil Vagina Mail Action "
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2010, 10:46:24 PM »
So Sigz, I was wondering, how many Merzbow albums have you got?

I'm betting...half of them.

Either that or just one.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2010, 10:57:02 PM »
Not to stir up controversy... but its noise music.  :P

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:49 AM »

-Marc.

The future is such a bug out.

Not to stir up controversy... but its noise music.  :P

This is true.