Author Topic: If Dream Theater were to change their style COMPLETELY for one album  (Read 17463 times)

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: If Dream Theater were to change their style COMPLETELY for one album
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2010, 11:42:09 PM »
Straight up hard rock. No more of this "br00tal" shit.

This. JP is a great rock player but we hardly ever get to hear it. I think this would suit James better as well.

I think much of BCSL was a step in this direction, with the exception of a few parts of ANTR and AROP.

Eh, I dunno. Everything in ANTR except the middle sections is ridiculously heavy and AROP is, too. That and JP is on record saying he always wants to have the heaviest sound possible. Sure, there are a lot of exceptions but the heavy stuff is just so overwhelming.

If he's gonna think like that he should at least take a look at what some of the bands making actual interesting heavy riffs are doing. I can't remember the last heavy riff they did that was actually memorable.
The Glass Prison. :lol

And they've been recycling that for years now in the 12-step songs. Yes, I'm saying this somewhat jokingly. But only somewhat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
I dream of something like post-rock meets acoustic rock meets pop-rock. Catchy songs with lots of atmosphere and delicate melodies, with subtle touches of prog elements in the form of interesting time signatures, complex orchestration and the ocassional virtuoso (yet tasty) solo spot. Roughly, maybe something like Dredg (rock + atmosphere + some post-rock bits) but less heavy and with more piano and acoustic guitar, not to mention that JLB´s voice adds a whole new dimension to the music (at least in my mind).

:tup :tup Oh yes, please give me some of this.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2010, 08:56:23 AM »
If he's gonna think like that he should at least take a look at what some of the bands making actual interesting heavy riffs are doing. I can't remember the last heavy riff they did that was actually memorable.
If you don't remember A Nightmare to Remember, it's a matter of your memory. :biggrin:

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2010, 09:24:52 AM »
If you don't remember A Nightmare to Remember, it's a matter of your memory. :biggrin:
I think it's a memorable riff too.  Same for TDEN.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2010, 09:28:27 AM »
Actually BC&SL has many memorable heavy riffs. ANTR is filled with those, the main riff of the first verse in A Rite of Passage, the The Shattered Fortress intro (and many more but those are based on earlier parts of the suite), and the "driving" riffs in The Count of Tuscany which may be my favourite part of the song.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2010, 09:30:35 AM »
Straight up hard rock. No more of this "br00tal" shit.

This. JP is a great rock player but we hardly ever get to hear it. I think this would suit James better as well.

I think much of BCSL was a step in this direction, with the exception of a few parts of ANTR and AROP.

Eh, I dunno. Everything in ANTR except the middle sections is ridiculously heavy and AROP is, too. That and JP is on record saying he always wants to have the heaviest sound possible. Sure, there are a lot of exceptions but the heavy stuff is just so overwhelming.

I get your negativity towards recent material, but lots of people do consider the ANTR main riff to be pretty memorable (me included). Just look up for any South American Tour videos and watch everyone singing along every note of it and just going wild and crazy.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2010, 09:55:18 AM »
If u think teh DT riffs are not memoreble, and complain about it, why do u even listen to'em?! :S It's to complicated music for u, sorry

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2010, 10:06:25 AM »
If u think teh DT riffs are not memoreble, and complain about it, why do u even listen to'em?! :S It's to complicated music for u, sorry
Enough of that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2010, 10:52:41 AM »
I think they've written some memorable heavy stuff lately, but the're just much better when they're not trying to do ultra modern metal.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2010, 11:00:18 AM »
I wouldn't call any of their stuff "Ulta modern"

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2010, 11:01:13 AM »
And I wouldn't say they're "trying to do" anything, they're doing what they want and feels natural. And natural means they won't do it the same way as they did 15 years ago.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2010, 11:03:15 AM »
And I wouldn't say they're "trying to do" anything, they're doing what they want and feels natural. And natural means they won't do it the same way as they did 15 years ago.
Where did I ever say I wanted them to do anything the same way they did in the past?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2010, 11:51:40 AM »
And what else does "ultra modern" imply?

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2010, 11:52:28 AM »

Are you talking about the opening riff? I found it incredibly underwhelming because of how simple and boring it was and there is nothing passed the middle section that is worth my time, personally. Out of the handful of times I have listened to it the only thing I can even remember from the end is part of the keyboard section towards the end.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2010, 11:55:42 AM »
The style of metal they like to play nowadays. Maybe ultra modern wasn't the right phrase, but I'm talking about stuff like ANTR and TDEN.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2010, 11:56:29 AM »

Are you talking about the opening riff? I found it incredibly underwhelming because of how simple and boring it was and there is nothing passed the middle section that is worth my time, personally. Out of the handful of times I have listened to it the only thing I can even remember from the end is part of the keyboard section towards the end.

Yah yeah, we've heard your complaints, but I guess we all have different tastes, I love ANTR, their second best song the latest album, wch means it's in my top 10.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2010, 11:57:19 AM »
The style of metal they like to play nowadays. Maybe ultra modern wasn't the right phrase, but I'm talking about stuff like ANTR and TDEN.

So you just don't like their heavier progmetal songs, okay, then why didn't you just say so?

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »
:lol So exactly what I'm talking about. TDEN can't be compared since it's unlike any other song in their discography (in fact, in any discography). A Nightmare to Remember is mostly heavy and they have had this kind of really heavy songs since Awake, I'd even risk saying When Dream and Day Unite. Just "heavy" in early '90s and "heavy" now aren't really the same things.

And moving forward is exactly what "progressive" means.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »
Oh god not this shit again.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #89 on: June 03, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

So you just don't like their heavier progmetal songs, okay, then why didn't you just say so?
I think they've written some memorable heavy stuff lately, but they're just much better when they don't play the type of stuff found in songs like ANTR and TDEN.

IN MY FUCKING OPINION.

There, I fixed it. Happy?

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: June 03, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »
Oke

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: June 03, 2010, 12:02:43 PM »
I have a question, since this evil thing known as "discussing" seems to be so fucking evil and tiresome recently, why don't we rename to I have just violated forum rule #1--please ban me and ban everyone who posts more than one sentence per post?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2010, 12:03:46 PM »
:lol So exactly what I'm talking about. TDEN can't be compared since it's unlike any other song in their discography (in fact, in any discography). A Nightmare to Remember is mostly heavy and they have had this kind of really heavy songs since Awake, I'd even risk saying When Dream and Day Unite. Just "heavy" in early '90s and "heavy" now aren't really the same things.

Why do you have to try to refute everything everyone says that's negative about modern Dream Theater? It's not necessary to start arguments and break apart posts word for word. I THINK that those two songs are representative of the balls-tastic metal they like to play. I didn't say they sound exactly the same. You keep trying to convince me that they shouldn't be moving backwards, but guess what? I never said otherwise, so FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop putting words in my mouth.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2010, 12:04:31 PM »
I have a question, since this evil thing known as "discussing" seems to be so fucking evil and tiresome recently, why don't we rename to I have just violated forum rule #1--please ban me and ban everyone who posts more than one sentence per post?

When you bring up the topic the last version of this thread was closed for, perhaps?

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2010, 12:09:13 PM »

Why do you have to try to refute everything everyone says that's negative about modern Dream Theater? It's not necessary to start arguments and break apart posts word for word. I THINK that those two songs are representative of the balls-tastic metal they like to play. I didn't say they sound exactly the same. You keep trying to convince me that they shouldn't be moving backwards, but guess what? I never said otherwise, so FOR THE LOVE OF GOD stop putting words in my mouth.

Oh come on Antigoon, don't be such a crybaby! People can't think the same about everything all the time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2010, 12:12:01 PM »

Why are you bringing that up again?

Oh come on Antigoon, don't be such a crybaby! People can't think the same about everything all the time

Please stop posting.  TIA.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2010, 12:13:13 PM »
hmmmm...what's TIA?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »
TIA = Thanks In Advance

That acronym has been around for years.

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »
Oooh...wait, why? :O

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2010, 12:19:10 PM »
I seriously can't stand the DT side of this forum anymore. Hopefully the mods decide to clean up at some point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2010, 12:20:48 PM »
Agreed, Adami.  I won't mention names (I probably don't need to), but far too many good or potential good discussions are being ruined by inane, juvenile comments or by overly defensive posts that do nothing but incite back and forth sniping. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
Alright, enough of this:

a) Don't state people's arguments for them. If you want clarification then ask for it, don't resort to belittling their intelligence or building some straw men to knock down.
b) Darkes7 and BRGM - keep the tone civil. There's no need for tone of some of your posts. Consider this a friendly reminder for now.
c) This is a discussion forum and thus disagreements over things are to be expected but ultimately this is meant to be a community where people come together to discuss a common interest (ie DT) so keep the discussions constructive and civil. If you can't then don't bother posting.

In any case, on topic, I would like them to do an Acoustic/Folky album as I reckon it would be interesting seeing their skills put to something outside of the normal fx ridden music that is modern metal. Something in a similar vein to POSs 12:5 would be interesting.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2010, 12:30:50 PM »
Heehehe! :p sorry!

But if they'd do something completly different, I think it would be fun if they'd rap, yeeees, or maybe do some acoustic stuff

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2010, 12:34:17 PM »
To add to what XJ already posted, Darkes7 and BRGM, you both need to knock off the baiting immediately, especially you, Darkes.  You have made a habit recently of derailing legitimate discussion by being overly defensive and taking exception with anyone who disagrees with you.  Your desire to defend DT's recent output is commendable, and I agree with you in the abstract.  But others are permitted to disagree, and tour tone and your inciting of pointless argument and bickering toward those who do will not be tolerated.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2010, 12:35:12 PM »
I have never heard that POS album, XJD, but I agree that an acoustic/folky album from them could be sweet.  I think they could pull of a Damnation-type album really well: lots of acoustic, clean, non-metal guitars, piano, mellotron, etc.  I mean, just imagine a whole album of songs similar to the Rotterdam songs on the 5YIAL video.  That would be great.  Sure, some of the more metal fans of theirs wouldn't like it, but I think time has shown that making every DT fan happy is pretty much impossible. :p