Author Topic: IT Crowd Thread  (Read 48573 times)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: IT Crowd Thread
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2011, 04:48:31 PM »
....Really?

I mean, I like it, but I didn't think it was anywhere near the best episode.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2011, 12:16:17 AM »
I'd have to watch it all over again, but it's something I'd be delighted to do.

Of course I'll participate.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »
do want
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
Aight. Waiting for the OK from Setra and I'll get the survivor going.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: January 26, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
Survivor begins next Monday. Brush up on Series 1 if you need to!

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
Just watched it yesterday :hat

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
Im going to watch season 1 right now

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 10:56:19 AM by AcidRainLTE »

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2011, 11:10:48 AM »
Drat, 84%

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #186 on: January 26, 2011, 11:31:42 AM »

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2011, 08:59:59 AM »
The first round of the survivor is up zomg!!! Go vote.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: January 31, 2011, 09:18:53 AM »

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #189 on: January 31, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
For the lazy folk:

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20220.0
Thankyou! I was starting to worry I would have to go all the way up and click the unread posts link to try and find the damn thread.   :hefdaddy

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: February 03, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
What season are you on now?

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #192 on: February 03, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »
I'm finished. I've been spoiled by American TV, where there are 20 episodes to a season more or less

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: February 03, 2011, 11:30:23 AM »
Oh nice.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #194 on: February 03, 2011, 11:31:58 AM »
Gay, a gay musical about gays.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #195 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:08 PM »
In confusion about the avatars, I decided to watch one of the episodes freely available on youtube.  Think it was first episode of series 3.

Was not impressed. 
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2011, 12:38:50 PM »
That's probably my least favourite episode :lol

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #197 on: February 03, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »
I agree

The best episodes are The Work Outing and The Dinner Party
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #198 on: February 03, 2011, 01:01:20 PM »
I also just watched "Are We Not Men?" which was a bit better.  I don't know, just from the level of support it seems to have at DTF I expected something... more than average.  I guess it's slightly better than a typical sitcom, but it still seems to me that the characters and plots are too one-note to get invested in, and the laugh track is grating.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: February 03, 2011, 01:04:11 PM »
Watch some stuff from the first and second seasons.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #200 on: February 03, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
"I'm just enjoying this cup of tea! HAHAHAHA! Brilliant!"
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: February 03, 2011, 01:32:59 PM »
Also, it's not a laugh track. It's a live studio audience.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2011, 01:56:33 PM »
There's no difference, ultimately.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2011, 01:58:40 PM »
I don't know, just from the level of support it seems to have at DTF I expected something... more than average.  I guess it's slightly better than a typical sitcom, but it still seems to me that the characters and plots are too one-note to get invested in, and the laugh track is grating.
Do agree a bit... I really enjoy the IT Crowd, but at its core it's just a pretty good sitcom.

But - as said, I really enjoy it. So I don't really question it. Glad people dig it, it's a very cool show.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2011, 09:47:32 AM »
Interestingly enough, Richard Ayoade is going to direct an upcoming episode of Community, probably the best network comedy right now.  My opinion of him might henceforth improve.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2011, 11:49:57 AM »
Interestingly enough, Richard Ayoade is going to direct an upcoming episode of Community.
Awesome. I'm really loving community, everything after the first half of season 1 is great.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #206 on: March 19, 2011, 07:36:18 AM »
Richard Ayoade is directing (has directed?) next week's episode of Community

I guess the connection is that Joel McHale was cast as the lead for the American pilot of The IT Crowd.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: March 19, 2011, 08:23:30 AM »
I heard it's Pulp Fiction themed, so it has to be awesome.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2011, 05:31:59 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13467407

Bin Laden and The IT Crowd: Anatomy of a Twitter hoax:

Rumours circulating on Twitter that Osama Bin Laden was a fan of The IT Crowd sitcom were an elaborate new media hoax. Here comedian Graham Linehan explains how he organised the ruse.

I spread a story on Twitter that in some of the videos seized from his compound during the Navy Seals raid, Osama Bin Laden was watching my sitcom The IT Crowd. I did it to illustrate the lightning speed at which a rumour can circulate and mutate on Twitter.

Only joking! I did it because I thought it would be funny, but it did circulate and mutate really quickly so maybe there's a good lesson for us here. I mean really, it's scary what Twitter can do. You can't get more offline than my mother, and even she said to my brother, the day after the story "broke", "Did you hear about your brother and Osama?"

So! It appears that one good way of starting a rumour is to pretend that the story is already circulating.

Tweet:"Does anyone have confirmation that Osama was watching The IT Crowd in these home movies? Amazing if true. Don't know how to feel" Glinner May 7, 2011 at 18:40

I certainly didn't have any plans to spin this one out, so I followed it up almost immediately with this punch line.

Tweet:"Obviously, a monster, but still. Was he all bad?" Glinner May 7, 2011 at 18:41

That was something I thought might be funny. If I started reconsidering my feelings towards a mass-murderer because he liked my show.

But no-one realised it was a joke. It didn't "land", or in layman's terms, it wasn't "funny". So I was still getting very concerned/curious responses. So I decided to ride around on my ridiculous imaginary pony a bit longer.

Tweet: "...seen in several videos watching and mouthing dialogue from the cult Channel 4 sitcom. Unbelievable." #itcrowd #OBL Glinner May 7, 2011 at 18:48

The magic of quote marks meant that this was met with nothing but genuine interest and a definite, hushed sense of "this is really big news".

Hashtags help to both spread the word and apply another level of spurious authority. Although again, I wasn't thinking in tactical terms.

I had a search running throughout all this, of course, and was quickly able to retweet a few quotes that made it feel as though the news was coming via several different sources, and not just me.

[Here follows a selection of tweets by people reacting to Linehan's ruse]

Tweet: "So, apparently OBL was a fan of The IT Crowd? @dalehernando + I were in an episode of The IT Crowd. OBL saw my face. Mixed emotions" tomadolph May 7, 2011 at 18:58

Tweet: "So Osama Bin Laden used to watch The IT Crowd, nice to know I have something in common with the guy who was the worlds most wanted man :L" bussey99 May 7, 2011 at 18:59

Tweet: "If you've never seen The IT Crowd, please don't let the fact that a mass-murdering terrorist leader watched it put you off. It's still great " Lennon_Scented May 7, 2011 at 19:26

Thanks, and apologies, to all the people I've quoted above. Know this, at least, you were not alone, not by a long chalk.

People were beginning to ask for evidence, so I decided to link to my source, something [science writer] Ben Goldacre always insists on.

Tweet: "Weirdly, reference has been removed. Security reasons? https://tpm.ly/kqmhdq RT @YC19916: can you send a link to this article?" Glinner May 7, 2011 at 19:29

Damn it! They removed the reference!

Tweet:"Completely bizarre TV fact of the day: Osama Bin Laden used to watch the IT Crowd" freesat_TV May 7, 2011 at 19:29

Ding! A brilliant tweet to receive and be able to retweet. Apologies to @free_sat, but the delicious word "fact" was more than I could have dreamed.

Tweet: "Osama Bin Laden was watching The IT Crowd when they got him apparently" GavRov May 7, 2011 at 19:29

Out of nowhere, the story had changed to his watching the show as the Seals stormed the compound.

I decided to try and get some sleep (different time zone...I was on holiday), hoping that the story might catch fire overnight. To help it along, I tried to make it sound like I was harried and upset.

Tweet: "Still totally shocked/confused about #OBL #itcrowd news. Phone ringing every 5 mins w another journo asking for quote. Signing off for now " Glinner May 7, 2011 at 20:03

The next morning, I started to get a little nervous... the thing could go on for at least another day, and I wanted to end it so I could stop thinking about it.

Tweet: "Was Osama an IT Crowd fan?: Rumours that sitcom was found in hideout" https://bit.ly/msthcS chortle May 8, 2011 at 9:33

Yeah, yeah, definitely time to end it. (By the way, Chortle seem to have removed the story, which is a shame. Why, guys? You were part of a fun experiment! Nothing to be ashamed of!)

I had to go out on a strong joke, because I didn't want to be accused of merely trolling my followers. So I thought about it for a while and decided to go out on the following scenario.

Tweet: "Have been sent a video file by Irish embassy in Washington of Bin Laden watching #itcrowd. Not allowed to upload. #OBL" Glinner May 8, 2011 at 9:55

Tweet:"Guy who worked for embassy very nice. Said 'You have no reason to feel upset. His liking show is no comment on your work'." #OBL Glinner May 8, 2011 at 9:59

The last few tweets don't really need commentary. Or at least they shouldn't.

Tweet:"Bin Laden sitting in front of TV with remote. My heart is in my mouth. Can't really see screen, which is frustrating." #OBL #itcrowd Glinner May 8, 2011 at 9:57

Tweet: "Music coming from the television very distorted (pirate copy?). Unrecognisable, almost" #OBL #itcrowd Glinner May 8, 2011 at 10:02

Tweet: "So weird. This isn't the #itcrowd theme. Do pirates put diff music on shows in middle east?" #OBL Glinner May 8, 2011 at 10:04

Tweet:"Good idea. RT: @terktz why don't you use Shazam to find out what music it is?" #OBL #itcrowd Glinner May 8, 2011 at 10:08

No such person as @terktz, by the way.

Tweet:"Shazam didn't work at first. Now has result as Theme From Big Bang Theory That's weird." #OBL #itcrowd Glinner May 8, 2011 at 10:10

I thought that was a strong enough gag to go out on.

Tweet:"Truth about Osama and The IT Crowd: ...it was actually Big Bang Theory he preferred" https://bit.ly/jvzVPv chortle May 8, 2011 at 19:22

No, no...

Tweet: @Glinner "the story was picked up and reported by the Dallas Evening News" veryjonesy May 8, 2011 at 11:10

This was like turning a cruise liner around.

Tweet:"Finally found a still of bin Laden watching the IT Crowd" https://cl.ly/6Zhr cc: @Glinner Mike_FTW May 8, 2011 at 18:15

I realised uneasily that the story might go on yet, and mutate even further.

But then again, maybe I wouldn't have to.

Tweet: "Still wrong, I'm afraid."https://yfrog.com/h8y8ypqj Glinner May 18, 2011 at 21:02

So there you go. Big Bang Theory. Ask them about it. Nothing to do with me.

Offline mizzl

• DTF.org Member
  • I have officialy been ravenhearted. Thanks Zydar!
« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2011, 06:16:41 AM »
Oh wow :slowclap: