Author Topic: This kid may have a future...  (Read 2408 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
This kid may have a future...
« on: May 27, 2010, 08:54:56 AM »
...or most of y'all will say "already been posted uh derp derp!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok3EjsCmIu0&feature=related
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: This kid may have a future...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:59:10 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:06 AM »
Meh, the first kid's improvisation wasn't music, and the second kid did covers. Of course, it's damn impossible for the kids at 8, but creativity is different from skill. We'll have to see their composition skills. :hat
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 11:36:30 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty much all wankity wank wank. But it's way better than I can play.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
Meh, the first kid's improvisation wasn't music, and the second kid did covers. Of course, it's damn impossible for the kids at 8, but creativity is different from skill. We'll have to see their composition skills. :hat

Whatever. That comment reeks of elitist sentiment. The kid has forever to learn composing skills and the point of my posting it was just to show what an impressive talent he is seeing as how probably less than one in a million guitarists could ever be that good by age 8.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 08:16:26 PM »
Suddenly appreciating melody and composition over sheer technical prowess is elitist? Alright then.

The kid's insanely talented, but only time will tell how that develops.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 08:22:09 PM »
Suddenly appreciating melody and composition over sheer technical prowess is elitist? Alright then.

The kid's insanely talented, but only time will tell how that develops.

Dude, you see what you wanna see in people's comments. I'm saying that it's extremely impressive that a kid possesses that skill level. I'm not saying he's the greatest musician ever but I think it's stupid to be dismissive toward him for doing Yngwie style shred-only in one clip where we have no idea what he may do when he isn't being show-ponied about(like in this clip) due to his prodigious talent level.

Shred-dissent is no more valid a standpoint than shred fanboyism.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 08:28:06 PM »
I'm saying that it's extremely impressive that a kid possesses that skill level.

Like I said, I totally agree. He's insanely talented, especially considering his age. I just don't see how Awake's post 'reeked of elitist sentiment' because he said we'd have to wait to see how good he was writing wise.

I don't think anyone here is downing shred (this is a DT forum after all), just downing pointless shred.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »

Whatever. That comment reeks of elitist sentiment. The kid has forever to learn composing skills and the point of my posting it was just to show what an impressive talent he is seeing as how probably less than one in a million guitarists could ever be that good by age 8.

Seems to me that Sigz and I saw the same things in that comment.  I actually turned off the first kid (the one who wasn't playing "Crazy Train") a third of the way through because nothing was happening, it was just wank.  

There's a Devin Townsend video on YouTube where he basically goes over how easy it is to wank on guitar.  Its hilarious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NongtyxkfY

Basically, these kids can play, but just like Sigz and AFO said, we'll have to see how they do composition-wise later in their lives.  Right now they're show ponies just like you said.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:38:45 PM by skydivingninja »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 08:41:09 PM »
 :lol I love that video. "My wife's at home freaking out, I'm sitting here do this fucking shit that I learned when I was a dungeon master in fucking grade 12"