Author Topic: @ Guitarists with heart conditions  (Read 1260 times)

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
@ Guitarists with heart conditions
« on: May 26, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
Does anybody know if there's any danger playing an electric guitar if you have an ICD? It's a defibrillator that's attached to your heart, and my friend just had one put in. He's worried about the magnetic pickups interfering with it as well as the magnets in the amp speakers. Does anyone know about this?
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: @ Guitarists with heart conditions
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 03:31:30 PM »
That would be something he should ask his doctor about, but I don't think it would be an issue. The pickups don't really generate any considerable field (as long as they're passive pickups idk about active ones), and unless he puts his chest right up to the amp magnet it's not strong enough to do anything.

But yeah, ask a doctor or a respectable medical health board.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:07:25 AM »
Yeah, consult a doctor, and the ICD manual. But, I would be very surprised if the amp's magnetic output would do anything. The pickups certainly won't; they often can't even compete with the magnetic field of a monitor.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 2Timer

• The only DT fan who plays country music!
  • Don't turn your back on parrot eyes
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 01:56:34 PM »
That's what I thought too, but my friend is very cautious in everything he does. He did ask his doctor, but his doctor doesn't know anything about musical equipment from what he said, so he just wasn't sure. Thanks, guys.
I am God when it goes to hell
When it turns out good I'm not to blame

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 05:30:02 PM »
Anyone own a hall probe so we could give the actual magnetic field of a guitar with high output pickups being played hard?
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline Mave

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 02:41:40 AM »
The pickups would be the only thing that would concern me. The magnets in the pickup(s) probably aren't very strong, but it's definitely not something I would be willing to experiment to find out.

I wouldn't stick the guitar against your chest pickups facing towards you, but in regular playing position, the pickups are separated from you by a relatively thick piece of wood.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 02:48:11 AM by Mave »