Author Topic: SC Vinyl question  (Read 3174 times)

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
SC Vinyl question
« on: May 24, 2010, 06:39:56 PM »
OK this was discussed in a thread awhile ago, but... on some vinyl pressings of Systematic Chaos, ITPOE part 2 is not included (I believe side 3 and 4 were both Ministry of Lost Souls)

Does anyone know which pressings don't have this, and how to identify the differences between them via packaging? I want to buy SC on vinyl, and unlike many, I actually PLAY the records, so I don't want to get stuck with one that is missing a huge part of the album.

Thanks!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: SC Vinyl question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
Unless you're planning on collecting the entire discography or something I'd just pass on it altogether, SC is pretty bad.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »
SC is pretty bad.

Yes, but...

collecting the entire discography

This. I try to listen to all of the albums now and then, and while this is probably my least favorite album from DT, having the complete vinyl would be a good thing. Especially since I can't afford the vinyl of Images and Words. :p

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »
I couldn't afford the vinyl version of I&W either.... so I settled for the 5 buck cassette version  :D
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
Yeah, I'd love a vinyl of any of the first three albums, but it's tough to get a decent price on them.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:57 PM »
OK this was discussed in a thread awhile ago, but... on some vinyl pressings of Systematic Chaos, ITPOE part 2 is not included (I believe side 3 and 4 were both Ministry of Lost Souls)

Does anyone know which pressings don't have this, and how to identify the differences between them via packaging? I want to buy SC on vinyl, and unlike many, I actually PLAY the records, so I don't want to get stuck with one that is missing a huge part of the album.

Thanks!

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the US pressings were never corrected. The German copies should be OK.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 08:07:31 PM »

Thanks!

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think the US pressings were never corrected. The German copies should be OK.

Do you know how to tell the two apart? I've seen a couple copies at some local stores, but I don't know what exactly I'm looking for on them. Will one of them say Made in America on it or something?

Thanks!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »

Thanks!

Do you know how to tell the two apart? I've seen a couple copies at some local stores, but I don't know what exactly I'm looking for on them. Will one of them say Made in America on it or something?

Thanks!

Well, My German copy says Made in Germany in the back on the bottom.

I never bothered to get the US pressing of this (not that fond of Sysyematic Chaos) so I'm not sure what the US pressing says.  Made in USA?

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 01:06:06 PM »
Awesome, thanks! Wasn't sure if there would be something as obvious as that or if the difference to look for would be very subtle. I'll have to be on the watch for that now.

Offline OperantChamber

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 06:44:27 PM »
Out of curiosity, what other albums have vinyl versions? I've only seen SC & BC&SL.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
Out of curiosity, what other albums have vinyl versions? I've only seen SC & BC&SL.

When Dream and Day Unite, Images and Words, and Awake were also released on vinyl.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 03:54:56 PM »

When Dream and Day Unite, Images and Words, and Awake were also released on vinyl.

For what it's worth, the Lie single was also released commercially on vinyl in the UK (same tracks as the CD) and there were a few UK promotional vinyl singles from Images and Words. Metropolis, Part 1 being one.

There was also that split 45 with a track from Systematic Chaos (figures I can't remeber which one...Foresaken I think) and a Symphony X song that was released over seas.