Author Topic: Perpetual Change's Top 40 bands  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Perpetual Change's Top 40 bands
« on: May 24, 2010, 03:10:05 PM »
Though it'd be fun to do my own list.  While most have been doing Top 50's so far, I decided to stick with a Top 40. Why? Honestly, it's because, I can only think of 40 artists who I genuinely like enough to put on a list. I do like other bands, but not enough to honor them. The runner-ups (40-10) may be mentioned later. Also, I've restricted this list to bands and solo acts, thus restricting it from any hip-hop artists or rappers, though I do like quite a few. I may give them a nod somewhere in the course of the thread.

40. Blackfield

Both Blackfield albums share one thing in common—that classic Steve Wilson “one-two punch” that opens albums up with two absolutely stunning songs. Unfortunately, while after the first couple songs neither of the Blackfield albums remain consistently good enough to land them higher on my list, they are still both incredibly digestible and enjoyable experiences. Though not a Steve Wilson solo project by any means, I think Blackfield does a decent job of portraying a side of Porcupine Tree that doesn’t get to be elaborated on enough.

39. Between The Buried and Me

Probably the harshest band on my list.  When I first started noticing all the love Colors was getting, I could not figure out what was so special about Between the Buried and Me.  The harsh vocals and core-y metal section were just too much for me. In fact, they still kind of are, and it’s that aspect of the band that keeps them from being higher on my list. However, I’ve begun to recognize Between the Buried and Me as true pioneers of their genre.  It warms my heart to see a band doing interesting things with a genre of music I thought was destined to be completely barren.  While I don’t care much for the pre-Alaska material, Alaska, Colors, and The Great Misdirect are all very good albums in their own right.

38. Frank Zappa/Zappa Plays Zappa

Zappa is one of those artists I need to get into more, even though I’ll never have the money or time to. My first exposure to Zappa was on DT’s progressive nation tour, and I remember being completely blown away by their performances on both nights.  The Frank Zappa studio albums I’ve subsequently picked up were disappointing compared to the live gig, though. So I daresay I like albums like Tinseltown Rebellion and even the Zappa Plays Zappa DVD far more than I like any of Zappa’s studio work. So crucify me :-P.

37. Rush

Ok. Shocked? Yes. Rush are this low (or is it high?) on my list. No, it’s not that I don’t like them, it’s just that I’ve never been completely impressed by their albums.  Like many other bands, Rush have written great songs but not great albums. Still, despite not caring much for the music of Geddy, Neil, and Alex, I realize the band were and are a huge inspiration to many and, though they don’t do much for me now, once would have landed in my Top 5. I know Rush not even being in my top 20 will disappoint some, but I still think they deserve to be honored.  And those few Rush albums which are fantastic through and through? They’d be “A Farewell to Kings,” “2112,” and “Moving Pictures.”

36. Echolyn

Echo-who? Echolyn are one of those progressive rock bands who I’m afraid will never get the credit they deserve.  They’re also one of the first prog bands I discovered.  I heard them one day whilst listening to Prog Rock radio on Direct TV’s music channels, and have never looked back.  Echolyn opened the door to classic progressive rock for me, and since then I’ve discovered a number of bands (who you’ll see later) which I love.  My favorite album of theirs is “As the World Turns.” Echolyn are my number 36.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Perpetual Change's Top 40 bands
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »
ECHOLYN  :metal
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 04:07:13 PM »
I don't really agree with Blackfield, and the "first songs are the best", personally im not a big fan of "Open Mind", the title-track is kinda good, but "Once" isn't a top20 BF song either. xD

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 04:09:25 PM »
I don't really agree with Blackfield, and the "first songs are the best", personally im not a big fan of "Open Mind", the title-track is kinda good, but "Once" isn't a top20 BF song either. xD

This.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
Ah. Well, Gone and Miss U both lose me, though other parts of the albums pull me back.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 04:21:37 PM »
Yeah, Aviv's voice at times really kills the song.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 04:51:08 PM »
Echolyn live were awesome.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »
Echolyn..namely the "As the World" record, are better than most retro "prog" out there, but they're really not incredibly original. I kind of see them as 1 or 2 steps below Spock's Beard (w/ Morse).

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 07:49:44 PM »
Hoping to see Yes in the Top 5 where they deserve to be! :metal
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 04:18:19 AM »
Ah. Well, Gone and Miss U both lose me, though other parts of the albums pull me back.

Personally, i think the first Blackfield-album is perfect.
"Open Mind" is the song i like the least on it, and that says a lot about the overall quality. :P
I don't think the second album has the same 'overall quality', but it does have many fantastic songs. =)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:24 PM »
35. Symphony X

Say what you want about their particular genre, but Symphony X put on one of the most indisputably epic live shows ever.  I have yet to see another band reproduce their music for a live setting as “big” and aptly as Symphony X can.  Allen, of course, is a machine but the other members are also a joy to watch.  When I saw them in Philadelphia, they encored with Odyssey. Odyssey is a great song on a great album. Other great albums are Paradise Lost and Divine Wings. My only complaint with the band is they don't play long enough concerts, and don't put albums out frequently enough.  But when they do, it always seems to be quality.

34. A Perfect Circle

Had I been making this list 5 years ago, APC would easily fall within my top 3. However, things have changed since then.  While the first two A Perfect Circle albums are masterpieces in their own way—the first with its concise songwriting and the second with its really moody, incredible soundscapes-- I loathe eMotive & aMotion.  Still, seeing one of your favorite bands turn to shit in real-time allows you to appreciate their previous output even more, right? Their painful final album can not undo the quality of their first album, so they make the list.

33. Demons and Wizards

More METAL for this list.  Demons and Wizards represent a couple of things to me. First, they represent what good, non-gimmicky metal should sound like.  Second, the represent what Blind Guardian could have sounded like had they stayed somewhat in the vein of Somewhere in Time.  Finally, they represent all the things I like about Iced Earth, without any of the things I don’t.  Demons and Wizards features Schaffer’s unique riffage with Hansi’s literate lyrics and epic voice.  Whether you’re a thrash guy or more of a symphonic/power guy, Demons and Wizards has something for you. Favorite song is, of course, Fiddler on the Green.

32. Cynic

Great band with a lot of promise.  Unfortunately, haven’t seen them live, but Traced in Air and Retraced are both spectacular, and it seems the way the band is maturing in a very positive way.  As of late, the band have managed to capture the heaviness and depth of Opeth with the sonic magic of Tool. Very cool stuff.  There isn’t a lot of it yet, but I’m expecting more from this band in the coming years.

31. Alter Bridge

Good old fashioned rock and roll.  I mean, how else can you describe it? Because that’s exactly what Alter Bridge are. They’re everything good Creed had potential to do with none of the mundane reality Creed actually offered during their career.  I was skeptical of them at first, but as soon as I heard Blackbird my opinion was changed.  Alter Bridge are the type of band who deserve mainstream success, but the new integrity that has come with the change of following speaks for itself.  Blackbird, both the song and the album, are amazing. Now if only the guys would cut all this “Creed Reunion” crap out.

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 01:14:44 PM »
Nice surprise to see APC on the list, I'm hoping this will mean Tool feature much higher up later on! I'm not sure I agree about all of eMotive being shit, Passive is easily my favourite APC song and the When The Levee Breaks and Imagine covers are enjoyable enough. But you're right, the rest is nowhere near up to the standards of the first two, specifically The Thirteenth Step imo.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 02:56:42 PM »
You will definitely be seeing Tool later. Though I won't say as higher up or one of the runner ups.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 05:48:32 AM »
Next batch! Will be going 4 per day with the 20's.

30. Haken

Some might be surprised to see such a new band on my top 40 list, but I can’t judge Haken based on their relative lack of output.  In my opinion, that just makes them 1 for 1, that is, they’re currently batting one thousand.   Their album, Aquarius, is one that seems to successfully blend the older and newer prog traditions while still sounding fresh.  The band's originality, though, is best highlighted by their generally wankless instrumental sections, which sound nothing like what other prog metal bands are doing. Do not confuse Haken with the Dream Theater clones. They are far superior. I know it's unfair to assume all of their albums will be as good as the first, but for now I just want to appreciate Aquarius.

29. Queen

Freddie Mercury, as a singer, songwriter, performer and visionary, is the type of person God graces the world with only once every several decades.  When it comes to Queen, as Freddie once said, the band always sounded like a collection of different side projects coming together.  While I’ve always preferred the heavier, more bombastic stuff that likely came from Brian May and Freddie Mercury, I can’t say Queen have ever put out particularly bad music.  Still, A Night at the Opera and everything before it are sheer perfection. 

28. Pink Floyd

While I haven’t heard as much Pink Floyd as many people on this board (I don’t even own all their albums) they’ve been a constant inspiration to me.  Dark Side of the Moon, Animals, and Wish You Were Here are all incredible albums.  I was constantly listening to Pink Floyd when I was heavy into learning guitars and keyboards, and even now I still think their music has aged very well and lost none of its relevance. Pink Floyd are number 28.

27. Led Zeppelin

Some will say this band deserve to be higher on the list, but whatever. How can you NOT mention Led Zeppelin in any list involving rock music? While, again, I don’t own all of Led Zeppelin’s albums, I’ve heard most of their discography and believe Led Zeppelin IV to be a masterpiece unlike any other.  I also believe Led Zeppelin divide the world of rock in two with another better band that I will list later.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 09:14:39 AM »
Yes - Zeppelin deserves to be higher, but since I wasn't expecting to see them on your list to begin with, that's just fine!   :tup

ps. no reason not to get the rest of their albums 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2010, 05:43:21 AM »
26. Bob Dylan

As much of a fan of metal and progressive music that I am, I’m also someone who likes to listen to a good song.  For awhile, no one could write a song like Bob Dylan.  I know his output is a bit of a mixed bag, but much of it is very, very good. My favorite albums are Bringing it all Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blood on the Tracks.  When I was growing up, my Dad was obsessed with Bob Dylan.  So, in a way, Bob Dylan was the first artists I listened to. He's still someone that I like to listen to from time to time, and his influence on me as a music listener is undeniable.

25. Devin Townsend  (Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend Project, etc)

If I could describe Devin Townsend in only a few words, those words would probably be “Unique. And Fucking Heavy!”  While Strapping Young Lad is a bit harsh for my tastes, Devin Townsend’s projects since then have managed to combine heaviness with melody.  His wall-of-sound creating “screams” often are the driving force for the melody of his songs.  And just when you think he’s maxed out in terms of creative potential, he comes out with, yes, a “pop” album-- and a damn good one, at that. I can’t wait to check out the two albums which are supposedly being released this year. 

24. Elton John

In the same way that I appreciate Bob Dylan as a songwriter, I appreciate Elton John as a performer.  There’s just something special about someone who can write and perform a good song.  And yes, I know Bernie Taupin is just as much a credit to Elton John as Elton is, so, in a way, this pick is celebrating the collective effort that is Elton John’s music.  The point is, I guess, that I can throw on some Elton John no matter what mood I’m in and come out feeling like I’ve been inspired.

23. Sigur Ros

There are songs in the Sigur Ros catalog that can get me all choked up, regardless of what mood I’m in.  That says a lot for a band that uses a made up language to write their “lyrics.” Needless to say, few artists can express emotion as aptly and clearly as Sigur Ros.  When it comes to music as an outlet of emotional expression, they might just be the best. I suppose I’d have to think a bout it some more.  Anyway, while I like their more “rock” oriented stuff like Tak a bit better than their other stuff, I do think it’s all pretty good.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 04:16:50 PM »
4 excellent artists right there. Good post! :tup
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »
Elton John is the epitome of awesome.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."