Author Topic: The Best of Songs  (Read 2666 times)

Offline robwebster

The Best of Songs
« on: May 23, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »
You know those days when a song finally clicks?

I was really disappointed that I didn't like The Best of Times. I mean, I didn't dislike it, but I found it a little bit bland. I liked it a little bit on first listen, but it eventually became a skipper. One of very few in Dream Theater's catalogue, which upset me a little bit. Most songs are at least a great, 'specially in the more recent era, but The Best just fell a bit flat.

In fact, when I started BCSL just now, about halfway through A Rite of Passage I was idly wondering how low I'd actually rank the Best of Times. It's one of those songs which I don't think about in the context of Dream Theater's catalogue.

And then I reached the start of the song. And it was MOVING. The violin sucked me right in. Like listening to it for the first time - until the first verse came in, and I magically started singing it. As if I were possessed. I actually thought "Whoa, where the hell did that come from?" I got my crucifix out, checked if I was haunted, but no! Not a ghost in sight. I'm just really digging the song. I've got no idea which bastard ears I'd been using to listen to it previously, but right now I am listening to it and getting thoroughly absorbed in it. Or at least I would if I wasn't trying to write a post. I'm only really writing it with half my mind which is why it probably seems a little bit flat and uninspiring. But jesus. I'm very happy with TBOT all of a sudden, and I love that moment when a song just clicks - so I wanted to document it as it was happening. Just spilling out in a stream of thoughts. Lovely. Oh this is gorgeous. Give me more days like this!

EDIT: I've changed the title 'cause the previous one was ambiguous. Now we have a pun on our hands. A horrible, horrible pun. Congrats.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 09:17:09 AM by robwebster »

Online BRGM

• DTF.org Member
Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 09:03:56 AM »
Great! :D it is a beautifull song :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 09:04:48 AM »
I'm glad for you. It's such a moving song, I loved it from the first listen.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:05:30 AM »
Okay, update. Finished TBOT, beautiful. Sublime. Wonderful. Heartrending. Oh I don't have enough good words for that song, which is bizarre considering it was the pinnacle of indifference yesterday. I don't know why I've been so stupid. You two are smarter than me. I should be made to do minor chores around your houses.

Now onto Count of Tuscany... this album is magical. It's like a modern Images & Words. I don't listen to BCSL enough. It's very straight-up metal in places, but it's always got just a touch of the otherworldly. The entire intro to TCOT, the lyrics to TCOT (which are barmy but that's the point! Surreal. They're charmy-barmy. And not at all narmy)... everything's just a little bit magical on this album. Which I really like. Even the straight-up rock song, A Rite of Passage, has a very polished and sleek element to it. The harmonies in the chorus are lush and the riff is borderline hypnotic - especially with the bass version right at the start.

Actually, lush is a very good word for the album. And hypnotic, at that. Even the sixteen-minute metal-epic, they couldn't resist stripping back for five minutes and giving way to this gorgeous midsection. Lush and hypnotic. They're my two favourite words to describe this album with. When I'm telling my grandkids about it ("this album came out in twenty-dickety-nine don't you know!") I will tell them that it's rich, lush and hypnotic. (I added rich. So sue me.)

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Best of Songs
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:24:50 AM »
The Best of Times is a pretty good song but the guitar solo has to be one of my favorite solos of all time. It's a perfect balance between tecnichal ability and slower more emotional playing. :tup
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 09:34:46 AM »
I cannot say much about The Best of Times, since I don't appreciate just yet. But then I do have those moments.

One good example is In the Mist She Was Standing by Opeth(hope this is not considered off-topic on DT forum). When I was fully into Forest of October, I couldn't just get into ItMSWS. What I heard from that song was just boring riffs and random growls.

But when Forest of October wore down, I listened to it again. Then the magic started. I could hear. Hear every riffs, every notes, every drum rhythms, and I could enjoy them. As in, wow. It was like the song was being fully absorbed by my mind. So now, it's my favorite off Orchid. :tup

So what I think is that, for you to get into a particular song. Your current favorite must be worn down in your mind. Then when you listen to the song you wanted to appreciate again, your mind magically absorbs it.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »
I want to like this song more than I do, because the music is really great. I just can't get past the vocal melodies and the lyrics; they completely take me out of the experience. Those two things just overshadow most everything else good about the song.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:22:50 AM »
If you want, I can sing new lyrics to new melodies over the instrumental for you.

I've got a good idea for the lyrics. I don't want to give too much away but the song would be called The Lonely Crocodile.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »
I would like that a lot.

I think my problem with it is that to me, it sounds like Portnoy wrote the vocal melodies for himself to sing and then just gave them to James.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 10:33:25 AM »
I would like that a lot.

I think my problem with it is that to me, it sounds like Portnoy wrote the vocal melodies for himself to sing and then just gave them to James.

That is exactly what happened.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 10:46:39 AM »
I still need to work out the vocal melodies, but would this make your experience any better?

The lonely crocodile never ever eats fish
He's a vegetarian, but it's become his only wish
That the other crocs would learn a thing or two
And emulate his kindness, but they just jeer and boo

It's hostile in the swamp
If you don't eat meat then there's nothing here for you
We're hungry in the swamp
All we do is eat, we've got no common ground with you

Why would a crocodile choose vegetarianism?
He's got a moral conscience and he values it over friendship
Lying won't make people love you, they'll only love the lie
And if you suppress your real self, you might as well just die

Oh the lonely crocodile doesn't have many friends
His ridiculous morals haven't paid dividends
He doesn't get good meals and he doesn't get love
But who's this watching from above?

"Howdy" said the eagle, "I noticed you're a veggie"
"Let me introduce myself, most people call me Reggie"
"My full name though is Reginald and I've noticed your scorn"
"Have you ever heard of a product called quorn?"

No, no, no, he hadn't heard of quorn
A protein-rich meat substitute, and now the croc was torn
He could try and impress the other reptiles, eating fake meat
Or he could continue being true to himself and never admit defeat

Oh the lonely crocodile doesn't have many friends
His ridiculous morals haven't paid dividends
He doesn't get good meals and he doesn't get love
Is this a solution from above?

No you can't change the mind of other crocodiles
And when you can't beat them, you may as well join in
So the lonely crocodile publicly ate fake meat

Turns out that you can trick some crocodiles
Turns out that you can fool some crocodiles
Turns out that you can lie to make friends
And still be yourself
What a boon to his psychological health

Oh it's nice to be a vegetarian crocodile
Sustain your popularity through lies
Thank god a solution came along
In the form of an eagle from the skies

It's a coming of age tale. With a moral. "If you have controversial values, you can cover them up and become popular through deception."

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 10:53:47 AM »
:rollin :rollin :rollin

God damn I love you.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 10:55:35 AM »
I'm speechless :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
What is this
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 11:12:23 AM »
I Dont Even...
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »
Oh my dear Lord :lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline robwebster

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 11:17:16 AM »
On reflection, I'm not sure why I posted that. That's a harrowing glimpse into my psyche. A tiny peephole into a mental breakdown. I think I might section myself.

Offline RobD

• Jedi-Pirate
  • JimJam YaHA!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »
:lol

I've been finding it easier reading your posts in your avatar's voice, btw... :tup

And I have every reason to believe that this is going to be the next Ego Vs Me, only this time DT will actually play and/or record it.
Pure. Refreshing. Bacon.
Clearly, RobD is a genius.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »
It also took me a while to appreciate TBOT, but once I did, I looooove it.