Author Topic: Worst Pop Artist Ever?  (Read 9443 times)

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
Re: Worst Pop Artist Ever?
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
I knew a man and he's a guitar teacher. One day some students of his wanted him to teach them Kesha on guitar, he told them to get out :lol And stated that it's wasting their parent's money and wasting his time.

And that song has some of the worst lyrics featured in a song, ever...

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 08:15:03 PM »
Aha! So the first song in the OP is where all those stupid Facebook status updates came from!

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 08:20:29 PM »
LOL! I advise these "people" to "get a life", that's all basically.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 08:24:56 PM »
Seriously. I was about to ragedelete a bunch of "friends" for that Ke$ha crap.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 09:52:14 PM »
Yeah, how could you possibly associate yourself with such lower creatures :|

Offline kirbywelch92

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2010, 10:04:10 PM »
Looks like I'm the only member who likes this song lol.

It's not like Ke$ha is trying to deny that she's a slut, she's more than aware of that lol. It's just fun party dance music.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2010, 10:12:44 PM »

It's not like Ke$ha is trying to deny that she's a slut, she's more than aware of that lol. It's just fun party dance music.

No, I agree with you. I wonder which pop act is going to be the next victim of a "MY EARS ARE BLEEDING" thread.

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2010, 10:57:08 PM »
So I watched as much as I could before bile started to rise in my throat.  Then I looked up the featured artist in that Ke$ha song, 3OH!3, and I puked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdB3Oyd5HtU

Wow. 

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2010, 11:02:44 PM »
God I hear Tik Tok so often, it's disgusting.

Also:

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2010, 11:06:30 PM »
^ :lol
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:31:30 PM by SPNKr »

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 11:07:45 PM »
I'd snip that, it's against teh rules.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2010, 05:29:23 AM »
I actually reviewed her album for the student newspaper. It wasn't a positive review.

A prog fan reviewing pop albums for student newspaper... I'd love to see some of your reviews.

Yes, please share. It'd be relevant to the thread.
This.
Haha, oh cripes I've got expectations to live up to now. Well, they're not that fantastic by and large. I read them a couple of days ago and didn't like how pretentious I sounded in them, but yeah. My most savage beatings have included get-out clauses because I've been a little hesitant to publish reviews across campus which might be slagging off bands that they really like, so I try to be fair and respect the possibility that it might just not be for me, rather than objectively bad. Also, we've got a pretty vibrant pop scene over here, so I've actually ended up enjoying a lot of artists. Florence + the Machine are magical. I'd recommend 'em.

That said, biggest pile of drivel I've listened to is N-Dubz. I've thrown in a get-out clause, like I said - it's not my home genre so it'd be unfair to write it off entirely - but still... these guys make my mind hurt.

N-Dubz - Against All Odds
Don't worry, kids. Here comes N-Dubz to rescue the world of music. Now finally satisfied that his papa can hear him, Dappy has taken time out between appearances on Never Mind the Buzzcocks to charitably raise the bar for us with his unique brand of soulful urban storytelling and remind us why he really is the true voice of our generation. Against All Odds features, among other tracks, the irredeemably sinister I Need You, an ode to facebook stalking which would be hilarious were it not completely devoid of any sense of irony, and the delightfully profane Suck Yourself, which you can play at all your posh dinner parties as long as they're exclusively attended by people who you hate and want to go away. I am, in honesty, being slightly unfair. They've already had several very successful singles and they're producing some undeniably catchy music which has reportedly impressed Kylie Minogue of all people - who has released 10 albums and appeared on Doctor Who, so what do I know? N-Dubz's latest album just strikes me as being shallow and insipid even in the context of the current chart, but if you liked their last album you'll probably find something to love here, too.

And, to keep it relevant...

Ke$ha - Whatever her album's called, I've forgotten
I'm not entirely sure why Ke$ha's popular. I'm not even sure if she might even a parody of the barmy excesses of tacky pop culture – but everything from the dollar-sign she insists on slapping all over her name, to her slurred, drunken singing seems to represent the music industry at its most objectionable. My favourite song is definitely D.I.N.O.S.A.U.R. Its chorus goes “D-I-N-O-S-A-U-R, a dinosaur!” which is kind of witty, but about five times more enjoyable if you ignore the thin subtext and imagine that she's just trying to teach the world how to spell “dinosaur.” I'm certain that her tongue is in her cheek – it's got to be – but that doesn't really justify the inception of yet another female solo artist with a penchant for synthesisers. Come on, world! Move on!

I think I chomped a lot of abuse off the Kesha one due to word limits. Should really say "witty in an inane way" and "paper-thin subtext." Looking back, that middle bit looks borderline flattering.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2010, 06:04:46 AM »
Of the two songs I've heard, Ke$ha is one of the few pop acts I actually hate.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2010, 06:26:25 AM »
Forgot to mention I get this
This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

You're better off that way, trust me.

Offline Slain

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2010, 08:15:26 PM »

Yes, but she thinks she's doing something good.

"I have very empowering lyrics
for women. I kind of take how guys talk to women all over this industry and throw it back at them. And they’re all getting their panties in a wad, and I think that’s hilarious. I’m literally just talking to a man the way any rapper talks about women in every rap song on the radio.”

So for example, If on the radio, Japanese people were making songs bashing Mexican people, and being extremely offensive and racist- the best way to go would be for the Japanese people to do the exact same thing? Double standards rule! A lot of this pop and rap music channeling out of the ass of America needs to just find a new topic.

“Don’t be a little bitch with your chit chat, just show me where your d—’s at,”

So empowering.

She could actually do something that's CLEVER and make fun of the style of videos portrayed by MTV, and the music that objectifies women instead of just creating another giant double standard to add to the pile that we already have. Not saying it wouldn't still suck balls, but it'd be more passable.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 08:23:02 PM by Slain »
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
She's creating a double standard by challenging a double standard? I don't get it.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2010, 08:56:08 PM »
Or we could save time, skip the rationalizations and just say she's an idiot.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »
Screw this thread when you can read reviews like the ones here https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ke_ha/animal/

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2010, 09:03:04 PM »

Or we could just stop making these stupid threads for people with obscure tastes to feel better about themselves.

fake edit: Man, why am I being such a dick tonight?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2010, 11:59:41 AM »
Yeah, how could you possibly associate yourself with such lower creatures :|

HEY

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2010, 12:01:44 PM »

Or we could just stop making these stupid threads for people with obscure tastes to feel better about themselves.

I like your idea better.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »

Yes, but she thinks she's doing something good.

"I have very empowering lyrics
for women. I kind of take how guys talk to women all over this industry and throw it back at them. And they’re all getting their panties in a wad, and I think that’s hilarious. I’m literally just talking to a man the way any rapper talks about women in every rap song on the radio.”

So for example, If on the radio, Japanese people were making songs bashing Mexican people, and being extremely offensive and racist- the best way to go would be for the Japanese people to do the exact same thing? Double standards rule! A lot of this pop and rap music channeling out of the ass of America needs to just find a new topic.

“Don’t be a little bitch with your chit chat, just show me where your d—’s at,”

So empowering.

She could actually do something that's CLEVER and make fun of the style of videos portrayed by MTV, and the music that objectifies women instead of just creating another giant double standard to add to the pile that we already have. Not saying it wouldn't still suck balls, but it'd be more passable.
If I'm honest... I do think it's fairly clever. That's a massive subversion. I really like that she's striding right up to a bigoted industry - squaring up to the egotistical bastard rap-stars and going "Right, dudes. I can't stop you being misogenistic, that's your prerogative - but if so, this is a two way street. Bend over." That's fantastic.

And I'm quite pleased that I was right when I figured her tongue was in her cheek. That actually makes it a lot more salvagable for me. She's not being egotistical, she's lampooning a sector of music that is, in fairness, in desperate need of lampooning.

But, that said, her music just isn't original. The market's already saturated with lady solo-artists with synthesiser fetishes. I can't make myself get excited about her, which is a shame.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2010, 09:37:23 PM »
I agree with everything stated above.

Offline Arcaeus

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2010, 11:11:46 PM »

I like your idea better.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2010, 06:55:23 AM »
I hate this and I wish it would go away

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2010, 10:34:34 PM »
God I hear Tik Tok so often, it's disgusting.

Also:

:rollin :rollin :rollin