Author Topic: The Doors  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

The Doors
« on: May 21, 2010, 06:15:22 PM »
This band never seems to get mentioned around here.

I don't think they're the greatest thing ever, I'm not gonna put a poster of Jim Morrison on my wall, but they were pretty bloody good. I think they managed to successfully wander between fun blues-ey and poppy material and topical, poetic, more serious material, which is a pretty difficult feat.

I just have a Best Of, but it's 2 discs packed to 80 minutes, which is a truckload of their stuff. I'm literally about 3 or 4 songs short of having complete albums in cases.

Based on that, their self-titled, Morrison Hotel and LA Woman all sound like really smoking albums, so I'll probably buy them separately at some point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Doors
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:37:09 PM »
Good band. I usually go through a phase about once a year where I will listen to the Doors a lot for like a day or two, and then not listen to them again much until a similar phase a year or so later.  "Love Her Madly" was one of the first classic rock songs I fell in love with in the summer of '89 when I first got into classic rock. :hat

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:47:51 AM »
I'm quite a doors fan but somehow didn't have the guts to put a thread on
so I think it's great that it's finally here

LA woman is one of my favorite albums
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »
The End is a masterpiece of a song.

Offline Jakartabassplayer

• John Cleese's evil step brother
  • "THEY just drop"
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 03:15:41 PM »
The End is a masterpiece of a song.
:tup
Kipfilet is het borstdeel van de kip. Kenmerk van kipfilet is dat deze vetarm en lichtverteerbaar is.
I assume it's because you're awesome.
And JBP is yet again drunk  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 03:16:59 PM »
Quite a good band. I haven't delved deeper than the Greatest Hits collections, but I enjoy a couple of their songs.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 03:34:16 PM »
Riders On The Storm is one of the most laid back songs
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 05:54:48 PM »
My favourite tracks of theirs would be The End, Roadhouse Blues, LA Woman and Back-Door Man (not sure why on that last one, I've just always really enjoyed that song).

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 07:44:32 PM »
I really like The Doors, though I never listen to them. Used to them to them a lot till I got burned out on classic rock. I think they carved a nice little chapter for themselves in the history of pop music. I hate to see a band end because of the premature death of one of its members, but in their case, I think they were destined to burn hot and die out quickly, instead of enduring for a long time like other bands.

The use of 'The End' in Apocalypse Now is still the most powerful, most appropriate, and most haunting use of a popular song in a movie in film history.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 03:49:46 PM »
RIP Ray...  :'(

Ray Manzarek, the founding keyboardist for the Doors, passed away this morning in Germany, according to a statement from his publicist. The cause was bile duct cancer.

As a member of the legendary rock band that formed in 1965 in Los Angeles and effectively ended with the death of frontman Jim Morrison in 1971 (though the group continued to perform and release music in other iterations for many years), Manzarek became an enduring symbol of the era — he was portrayed by Kyle McLachlan in the 1991 Oliver Stone biopic The Doors, and wrote a best-selling memoir about his experiences, Light My Fire: My Life with The Doors, in 1998.

The Doors sold more than 100 million albums worldwide on the strength of hits like ”Hello, I Love You,” “Riders on the Storm,” “Light My Fire,” and “Break On Through to the Other Side.”

Manzarek is survived by his wife Dorothy, son Pablo, and three grandchildren. In lieu of flowers, the family ask that donations be made in Manzarek’s name to standup2cancer.org.

Offline adace

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 03:56:12 PM »
Terrible news. RIP.  :'(

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 03:50:23 AM »
RIP Ray... :'(

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 03:51:25 AM »
"This is the end.."  :'(

RIP.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
Bummer.  I know that The Doors were all about Jim Morrison to most people, but I thought Jim was pretty bizarre and kinduv an asshole (of course, that's based on the Stone movie) while Ray seemed like a pretty cool guy and probably the most talented musician in the band.

One of my favorite Music Trivia questions is "Who was the bass player for The Doors?"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:54:31 AM »
Without looking it up - I'm going with Carole Kaye.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
A-Ha!  You have fallen for my trap!

Everyone knows Jim Morrison, many know Ray Manzarek and Robby Krieger, but the fourth member of The Doors was drummer John Densmore.  The Doors did not have a regular bass player.

Carole did play bass on some Doors tunes (including "Light My Fire") but usually Ray covered the bass with his left hand.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 11:03:12 AM »
Well, yeah, he played the bass parts on keys, but I thought you were referring to the actual bass guitar parts on the recordings.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 11:07:57 AM »
I know, it's a trick question and not really a fair one.  But technically The Doors didn't have a bass player.  Most of the time, that's Ray playing keyboard bass on the records, too.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 11:11:16 AM »
'tis a sad time. That man could truly play.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 11:36:21 AM »
Didn't realize he was sick. I recall the other guys took some heat for playing music as "The Doors" but it didn't seem like a cheap money grab to me. They just wanted to carry on the legacy they created and just enjoyed playing their music.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:17 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of The Doors but I loved Ray's keys. He was easily my favorite member of the band. RIP  :sad:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »
So I watched The Doors (Oliver stone) film and I found that it made Morrison out to be a Buffoon. Listening to actual interviews, he sounds pretty insightful and eloquent.

Was the movie just an Oliver stone exaggeration, or was Morrison actually like how he's portrayed in the film?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2018, 01:53:08 PM »
So I watched The Doors (Oliver stone) film and I found that it made Morrison out to be a Buffoon. Listening to actual interviews, he sounds pretty insightful and eloquent.

Was the movie just an Oliver stone exaggeration, or was Morrison actually like how he's portrayed in the film?

The coincidence, I've just seen it the other day.

I think one thing does not rule the other out - from bits and pieces of the movie you see he's intelligent and can come up almost on the fly with beautiful lyrics and bits of poetry. At the same time, he was stone faced out of his mind, with acid and drugs and whatever and he was flamboyant to the point of being out of control. Go no further from the Wiki page about The Doors to see that incidents such as the arrest actually did happen. He probably made Axl Rose look tame in comparison. I didn't think of him as a bufoon, but of an interesting musician and artist who was out of his mind because of the excesses all the damn time.

Edit to add a little thing I remembered, an interview with Alice Cooper that was talking about how he (Vincent Furnier) knew when to be Alice Cooper, while Jim Morrison was Jim Morrison all the time. And well, Alice is touring the world at 70, and Jim died at 27. Can't be a coincidence....
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2018, 10:47:21 PM »
I'm sort of the opinion that it was more buffoonery than profundity.   Some of the lyrics have some depth, but many of them, in my view, don't survive the scrutiny.  Even his "epic", "The End", is really just a shocking vulgar interpretation of a basic Oedipal complex. 

He's a REALLY good looking guy, who died young, and left a LOT of questions behind (including, not coincidentally, his very death, as no autopsy was ever performed). 

Not a popular opinion among the Doors fans I know, but I have no doubt that had he lived, he'd be Ozzy.   Meaning, a guy who was legendary, scary, enigmatic - the "Prince of Darkness" - back in the day and who would be now a shuffling, old rock star mumbling about how he WAS "the Prince of fucking Darkness" while he takes out the trash.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2018, 11:29:35 PM »
I don't think Jim would have taken his legacy, whatever it may be, as seriously as someone like Ozzy. And if it was buffoonery, it was just part of who he was. It wasn't part of a calculated persona he carefully crafted. He also never wanted to be a "rock star" and to the best of my (limited) knowledge was never comfortable with that role.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 01:14:15 AM »
Not a popular opinion among the Doors fans I know, but I have no doubt that had he lived, he'd be Ozzy.   

Well, isn't that anyway the "mystique" of dying young? Had Elvis died at 27 too, we'd never knew he'd become an overweight drug addict who died on the toilet.

Maybe Kurt Cobain would be a middle aged, bald, overweight dude who broke up Nirvana and went solo to little success. Cliff Burton died young and never cut his hair to take part in Load and Reload.  The list of possible examples is endless.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 07:37:54 AM »
Randy Rhoads.

But the paths aren't inevitable.  There's Ozzy - whom I love deeply (as an artist) but if you were growing up in the 70's, it's frustrating.   Iommi has aged with grace and class, as has Bruce and Alice.   Peter Criss, not so much, but Jimmy Page?  Both he and Plant are like royalty.   They understand they're not 26 anymore, and it's no longer the "hammer of the Gods" time.  I'm not the hugest fan of his, but Eddie Vedder isn't a maniac anymore, but isn't a casualty or joke either.   The guys in Purple.   I mean, the list goes on. 

This really all goes back to the sort of "myth" of being a rock star; better to burn out than fade away.  "And my advice is if you maintain this lifestyle you won't reach 30"; "Christ - it's a romantic way to go really, it's part of the heritage, it's your round i'n'it?".

We burn a little brighter now.

I believe - not literally, but  metaphorically - that when  you die, there's a room, like a library.  I'm old, so it looks like the library at my law school, lot's of wood, and books, and  carpet and high windows...  and you go and you pull out a book.  And in there are things like "John Fitzgerald Kennedy b. whatever, d. November 22, 1963" and a bio.  And when you get down to the right part it says "Kennedy was shot in Dallas, Texas, November 22, 1963 while riding in a motorcade through Deeley Plaza.  The shooter, Lee Harvey Oswald, acted alone, but was reacting to a suggestion  place in him by a contact who had ties to the Central Intelligence Agency.   The Agency wanted Kennedy dead [for various reasons] but could not credibly conduct an  operation on their own.   Through normal Cold War surveillance they became aware of Oswald and while there was no overt aid, in either planning or execution, certain strings were pulled to make sure that the path to the objective was realtively unobstructed, and would succeed or fail through Oswald and Oswald alone."   Then you scroll down and there's a list.  "Kennedy had sexual relations with the following women:"  [Name, name, name... name, name, name... "Marilyn Monroe"...]

I could go and look up the largest issue (like above) or I could go to the log of "Lost Items" and go to my name and scroll down to see what the ultimate destination was for any number of items I've lost.  The keys to my house in Georgia.   My NY Giants jersey back in 5th grade (that's true, by the way, and that fucker had my name on the back; who wants THAT?).  That  Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons disk that I bought, and have the receipt for but  for the love of God I cannot find.   

In there will be the full story of guys like Morrison and Cobain.   "Cobain professed to despise fame and the bands of his 'scene' that pursued fame, but most of his angst was caused by the conscious realization that he wanted fame more than any other trapping of artistic achievement.   "Nevermind" was not a compromise to a record company that had to be walked back from, but was rather a semi-conscious decision on Cobain's part to betray his stated punk sensibilities in a way that most allowed him to maintain plausible deniability".    Or "Morrison craved fame with the fury of 1,000 suns.   The Oedipal ramblings and frequent genital exposures was not the random acting out of a crazed, drug-fueled rock star, but part of a persona.  Poorly conceived and not very well calculated, but a persona nonetheless, and as the persona caught on, the lack of authenticity proved to be too much for Morrison, who, like Cobain 22 years and 9 months later, subconsciously ended his own life through a fog of drugs, alcohol, and antisocial behavior."

(And yes, you will be able to find out in that room whether that girl Karen from high school DID have a crush on you, or whether you could  have taken her to the prom or not.)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2021, 07:03:25 AM »
Insane bump!

So, another lightbulb went on my in head, "Why I never bothered to listen to The Doors"? guess with 8 hours each day to listen to music (since I'm still working from home) I might give them a try.

I'm more interested in the dreamy, psychedelic, doomy songs - of course I know Light My Fire, and I also like stuff like Love Street, Crystal Ship which I just happened to listen for the first time right now, Riders on the Storm.... I mean, the closest I've got to this kind of sounds is with band like Ghost, playing retro sounding rock with keyboard sounds of days gone by, I'm not saying that some Ghost songs sound like The Doors, but the general vibe is there, just to give an example. I mean, I've heard and I liked Roadhouse Blues as well which is more on the rock n' roll side of things but my guess is that more songs with that dreamy '60s atmosphere and heavily relying on keyboards might be more to my liking.

I guess I will start with a greatest hits, I know probably many would counterargue that I should listen to this or that album, but I guess that a greatest hits is a good starting place.

What do you all think is the best representation and a good introduction to the band out of those released? here they are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_The_Doors_(1973_album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(The_Doors_album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doors_Classics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_The_Doors_(1985_album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Best_of_The_Doors_(2000_album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Very_Best_of_The_Doors_(2007_album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Future_Starts_Here:_The_Essential_Doors_Hits

I can see for myself that many of these releases are redundant between themselves and that more or less the songs are the same, but if there's some specific collection that is considered the most well rounded one, I'll just go for it and trust those who already know the band  :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2021, 07:06:51 AM »
The below is all I ever needed by The Doors.

Good band, but not one I revisit much anymore. I still remember hearing Love Her Madly for the first time and thinking it was awesome.  And I listened to them a lot in '92 (the girlfriend I had for most of the year was a fan, so that was one of her and I's go-to bands that year), but aside from a song here and a song there, they just aren't one I ever think about anymore.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2021, 08:42:14 AM »
Noted, thanks!  :tup

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2021, 10:35:14 AM »
I LOVE the Doors...one of the best six-album runs in music as far as I'm concerned.

It's funny, I feel like there's this critical re-evaluation that has occurred with any number of 70's bands, but The Doors have kinda fallen out of the limelight. Minus the Oliver Stone movie some 30 years ago, there isn't the same continued infatuation as say the Beatles or Queen (or maybe even Kiss, if there ever was).

Either way, for a band that a lot of people grow out of, I've never tired of the doors, and regularly revisit those albums. Such a potent collection of tunes.

Be it the angst of the self-titled disc, the perfection that is 'Strange Days,' the orchestrated 'The Soft Parade,' or the straight-ahead blues of 'Morrison Hotel,' 'Waiting for the Sun,' and 'L.A. Woman,' there's a record for every mood as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »
Fixed Kev's link. This is the one I had, and it got as much play when I was in high school as any other album I owned. Not familiar with any of the other collections.

MirrorMask, based on your post, I would just listen to the first two albums in full.  If you like those enough, there are only 4 other albums to check out, and those are more blues/rock driven.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 11:25:35 AM »
I LOVE the Doors...one of the best six-album runs in music as far as I'm concerned.

It's funny, I feel like there's this critical re-evaluation that has occurred with any number of 70's bands, but The Doors have kinda fallen out of the limelight. Minus the Oliver Stone movie some 30 years ago, there isn't the same continued infatuation as say the Beatles or Queen (or maybe even Kiss, if there ever was).

Either way, for a band that a lot of people grow out of, I've never tired of the doors, and regularly revisit those albums. Such a potent collection of tunes.

Be it the angst of the self-titled disc, the perfection that is 'Strange Days,' the orchestrated 'The Soft Parade,' or the straight-ahead blues of 'Morrison Hotel,' 'Waiting for the Sun,' and 'L.A. Woman,' there's a record for every mood as far as I'm concerned.

I think this is true.  I remember classic rock radio in the early to mid 90's had at least six or seven Doors songs in regular rotation.  This is just one station, but we have a classic rock station we spin at work in the background on occasion and it never plays the Doors.  For one, since classic rock has now expanded to include all of the 80's and 90's (back in the 90's, it seemed like classic rock was comprised of the late 60's though the very early 80's), there is a wider variety of material to cover, so a lot of bands do not see as many songs played (some bands that might have gotten 6-7 songs regularly 25 years ago might only get 1-3 now), and some bands get ignored altogether now, and it appears as if the Doors are one of them, although I am sure there are still plenty that play them.  Like you said, they just don't have the pedigree anymore, as they do not seem like a band a lot of younger people are checking out.  The casual music fan under 30 now is probably far more likely to know Pink Floyd, Queen or Lez Zeppelin than The Doors, The Who or The Moody Blues (the last of which makes me sad since I am a big fan of the Moodies).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2021, 11:52:26 AM »
Minus the Oliver Stone movie some 30 years ago, there isn't the same continued infatuation as say the Beatles or Queen (or maybe even Kiss, if there ever was).

I saw that one! thought it was ok, didn't really know that much about the Doors and I always take for granted that seeing a movie doesn't mean seeing an actual and faithful portrayal of whatever the subject matter is, but I enjoyed the movie.

MirrorMask, based on your post, I would just listen to the first two albums in full.  If you like those enough, there are only 4 other albums to check out, and those are more blues/rock driven.

Good to know! in case the greatest hits experiment goes well I'll know where to start.

About The Doors' current fame, I think that Jim Morrison's myth survived more than the actual interest in the band. Growing up I never really heard anything about the band except Light My Fire, but I've always known who Jim Morrison was. My classmates in 1998, during the Paris trip, wanted to see his grave in Pere Lachaise. Jim Morrison, Jimi Hendrix.... I believe "everyone" know who they are, even if they can't name five of three songs from them. So while maybe the Doors as a band didn't experience a renewal of interest, I think Jim Morrison's myth always endured.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2021, 03:33:34 PM »
I hear a LOT of Jim Morrison and that brooding nihilism in 90s Grunge ...Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, Eddie Vedder, Kurt Cobain and Scott Weiland. Most of these guys all died young. It’s almost as if these guys were an extension of Morrison’s self-immolating vision.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa