Author Topic: Fan tribute to Dio: Anyone want to participate?  (Read 8186 times)

Offline bodiesinflight

• I prefer drone
Re: Fan tribute to Dio: Anyone want to participate?
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »
I think this is a really cool and would get involved but I'm so busy with exams atm and haven't any way of recording the stuff. I'm sure you've got plenty of guitarists anyway. Good luck with it!  :tup
Drowned in Sound
Echoes & Dust
Stereoboard

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »
How do we go with the drum work.  Any actually takers or should we try backing tracks??

Uhhh I just had like 10 posts of me saying I'd do it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chagny

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2010, 10:00:05 PM »
I'd definitely love to do bass for Heaven & Hell. One of my favorite Sabbath tunes.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »
Adami, I guess based on UMH's post, add Holy Diver to the list.  I haven't tried to play it, but off the top of my head, it seems like the easiest drum part of the three songs so far, so it might be a good place to start.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2010, 10:15:48 PM »
I listened to Last in Line. The only problem I can foresee are the pauses. If they aren't on a click track, It would be hard as hell to come in at the exact same time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 04:21:37 AM »
How do we go with the drum work.  Any actually takers or should we try backing tracks??

Uhhh I just had like 10 posts of me saying I'd do it.

:tup
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 08:44:01 PM »
I'd totally sing something like Man on the Silver Mountain or something.  Man on the Silver Mountain was basically the world's first taste of Dio, other than Elf, which really wasn't popular other than they opened up for Deep Purple.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 09:36:19 PM »
Splent, are you able to lay down keys on any songs?  We are looking at the possiblity of doing Stargazer, but I think we definitely need keys to make that one work.  Right now, the biggest challenge is drums.  I know Adami said he could do some.  And I have a couple of "possibles" from others.  But I need to get a grip on what songs we definitely have drum tracks for.  I think bass is covered.  We have lots of potential guitarists and vocalists, so those appear to be covered as well.

I listened to Last in Line. The only problem I can foresee are the pauses. If they aren't on a click track, It would be hard as hell to come in at the exact same time.

If you want to do a separate click track, that's fine.  Again, what I had envisioned is that we can use the actual songs themselves as a scratch track, which should eliminate timing problems altogether. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 09:59:26 PM »
Yea, using the original songs is fine if they recorded to a click. But if they didn't, then there's no way perfectly measure those pauses, but I'll try my best when I get back into town.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »

Editing, my dear watson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »
I officially received my first short demo.  A friend of mine programmed drums and recorded guitar for the first half of Last In Line, and it sounds pretty good. 

Adami, the demo he did illustrates what I was talking about.  He used the original recording as a scratch, programmed a midi drum track, and then played his rythm guitar parts to the drum track, using the scratch for his cues to know when to come in. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »
I'll start with Last in Line. I'll get started in the next day or so. I'll let you know how it goes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. 

Bosk:  are you planning to sell this album and donate the profit to Dio's cancer charity?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »

Bosk:  are you planning to sell this album and donate the profit to Dio's cancer charity?
That would be an awesome idea.

I can't wait to record guitar for Holy Diver. I have one question though. Would the public prefer it if I matched Vivian's solo as best as possible, or could I do a little improvising while still using Vivian's as a skeleton?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 07:57:52 PM »

Not sure.  That's a neat idea, and I had the same thought.  I'll just have to see how it all comes together and then look into whether or not I can do that.

That would be an awesome idea.

I can't wait to record guitar for Holy Diver. I have one question though. Would the public prefer it if I matched Vivian's solo as best as possible, or could I do a little improvising while still using Vivian's as a skeleton?

Tough call.  I guess my personal preference would be to stick close to the original, but improvise it just a little to add your own personality to it.  I know that's pretty vague, but it's hard to put into words.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »
I worked it out earlier. I know exactly what I'll be doing. It's extremely close to the original, but it's got some of my own flair in it as well, pretty much just like you just instructed. :p
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Adami

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 08:28:20 PM »
Also Bosk, as mentioned earlier, the drums are electronic and this setting is a pretty "metal" sound. Not quit the 80's sound of the originals. I'll also probably be adding my own thing to the songs (nothing drastic) since learning songs note for note on drums isn't something I'm interested in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 08:52:02 PM »
I'd love to lay down some keys, but I don't have a way to record it directly into the computer.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2010, 12:50:54 AM »
Worst case scenario, I can program MIDI keys and hope it sounds alright.

Offline Adami

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2010, 12:56:20 AM »
I'd love to lay down some keys, but I don't have a way to record it directly into the computer.

You live in Chicago right? If worse comes to worse, you can bring a keyboard here and record it in my pro tools set up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2010, 08:36:57 AM »
A friend of mine programmed drums and recorded guitar for the first half of Last In Line 

I'll start with Last in Line.

:facepalm:

Offline Adami

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2010, 11:43:30 AM »
Ok...........what should I start with then?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
HOLY DIVER!!

Offline Adami

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2010, 05:46:09 PM »
By the way Bosk, I thought you were giving an example as to how it can be done. I didn't know you just wanted to use his programmed drums instead. And if so, why not just have him program them all for continuity sake?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »

You live in Chicago right? If worse comes to worse, you can bring a keyboard here and record it in my pro tools set up.

The keyboard I have is not very good, just to warn ya... but maybe.  It's a lot easier for me to do vox.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2010, 01:44:27 PM »
I'll be honest, I know none of these songs. But I'd totally be down to do some guitar parts where they're needed. I'm not a fan of Dio mainly because I don't know any of his work, but I gotta give props to how influential and prolific he was.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2010, 11:35:41 PM »
Has anything happened with this?

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
I guess not.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2010, 09:37:04 PM »
damn..I was pumped! I'm still down!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »
The main problem has been that only two people volunteered to do drum tracks, and both have flaked.  Since that is generally the first thing that needs to be recorded, that kinda killed it.  A friend of mine did a complete recording of Last In Line with programmed drums, so I'll probably lay down vocals over that, but that's about as far as we've gotten.