Author Topic: Fan tribute to Dio: Anyone want to participate?  (Read 8188 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Fan tribute to Dio: Anyone want to participate?
« on: May 21, 2010, 08:01:52 AM »
I got to thinking last night that it would be cool to record some Dio songs as a fan tribute.  Not sure what I would ever do with such a thing other than just treasure it as a cool tribute and share it with people who would appreciate it.  What I would like to do is record a handful of songs with other people who think this is a cool idea an would like to participate.

Back story (feel free to skip this paragraph if you don't have time):  Several years ago, when the band Y&T was mostly on hiatus, a group of fans on the Y&T/Dave Meniketti forums came up with a wild idea.  Although we had never met before, those of us close enough to participate would get together in a central location some hot summer day and just have a little fan get-together and an open-mic "jam" where we would get up and play our favorite Y&T and/or Dave Meniketti tunes.  It came together and a bunch of strangers got together that day and jammed a bunch of really cool rock & roll.  We had some trainwrecks.  We had some eye-popping moments where we sounded far too tight to have never played together.  But most of all, we just had a lot of fun.  And the funny thing is, after that day, instead of just being strangers hiding behind internet user names, a lot of us became friends in real life as well.  Some of us hang out.  Some of us see each other at shows.  A handful of us that had played quite a few of the songs decided, "hey, why don't we get together and actually form a tribute band."  So we did.  And we had another jam the following year.  And it's just been an overall positive experience.

I was reminded that such a thing really couldn't have happened 15 or 20 years ago before widespread use of the Internet really caught on.  So I thought to myself last night:  "Why don't I use this powerful tool called the Internet to see if I can bring some more fans together in a smilar way?"

So here's the deal:  I'd like to sing on a song or two (or more if we have an abundance of instrumental parts and a lack of vocalists).  I have the ability to record vocals with a friend of mine or a local studio.  If others have the ability to record their parts (drums, guitar, bass, possibly keyboards if we do certain songs) and want to participate in this project, post what songs you want to do and post your email in the thread so we can coordinate (assuming this comes together).  If you don't want to or have the ability to participate, but still think it is a good idea and want to just encourage those of us who are participating, go ahead and post and egg us on!  :D  Ultimately, I think it'd be great if we could actually put together a 3-6 song EP.  But if not, I guess that's okay too.

Here's a "demo" version of an abbreviated Neon Knights cover I did for a contest a while back.  The instrumental track was recorded by Queensryche.  The vocals are me.  It's rough in a few places, but especially given how rushed it was, I'm pretty happy with it.  (and, yes, I know I'm not qualified to even hold Dio's...mic bag.  :P  Never said I was.  Just a fan who wants to show some appreciation)

https://rapidshare.com/files/389969357/Neon_Knights.mp3.html

Songs I would like to record:
-Neon Knights (full version)
-Children of the Sea
-Heaven & Hell
-Stargazer
-Stand Up and Shout
-Holy Diver
-We Rock

If anyone wants to do those, great.  If people want to do other ones, post 'em.  I don't even know whether this idea will gain any traction at all and take off beyond this first post, but it'd be cool if it did.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Fan tribute to Dio: Anyone want to participate?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:04:36 AM »
I can't say it would be of great recording quality, but I could learn a song on drums and play it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 08:40:34 AM »
I'll be more than happy to throw the horns in the background.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 08:47:47 AM »
 :eek Holy shit!! Bosk! You were reading my mind this morning when I was walking to work! I would love to participate. I'm a vocalists as well

Songs I would like to record:
-Stargazer
-Holy Diver
-The Last in Line
-Don't Talk to Strangers
-Pain
-The Man on the Silver Mountain

It would be cool if we got enough people to do this is there was one song with different people on different part. Problem is we all don't have the same recoding equipment.

P.S That Neon Knight cover of yours is badass. That was for the contest in which they messed up the dates or something isn't it?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »
Wow, didn't realize you are such a great singer, bosk!

I will gladly offer my guitar playing services. I've never seriously listened to Dio, but I always had the utmost respect for the man.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:07:19 AM »
Wow, didn't realize you are such a great singer, bosk!

Thank you.  Coming from such a talented musician as you, I am humbled. 

By the way, I've posted this on a few other forums as well, so we may very well have some other participants as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
I'm absolutely down! I've been playing bass for 7 years and can take on as many songs as you'd like. I have recording gear in my house and I'm an audio engineer, if you wanted me to mix the project after. I'd like to do Stargazer, Heaven & Hell, Holy Diver, and Neon Knights. If no other bass players express interest, I'm available to do any others as well!

arranged.doom@gmail.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 10:56:19 AM »
I don't have the necessary equipment to contribute, but I fully support this endeavor.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
I don't have any rhythm to contribute, but I fully support this endeavor.

fixed

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 11:15:15 AM »
bosk,

As she mentioned, my wife is happy to sing whatever in tribute.

I am as well.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
Awesome.  :tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
I'd definitely throw some bass work down if I could send it to you guys. I hope to see this come together, good idea bosk!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »
If you have a means to record it, you can send it.  What I envision is each person recording their parts and then emailing or uploading them to each other.  Hardest part will be getting someone for drums.  I'm hoping someone at MP.com jumps on this since there are (obviously) a lot of drummers there.  No response yet, but I only posted it this morning.  We'll probably have to get the drum tracks done first, but then the drum track could be sent out to whoever is doing the other instruments and vocals, and those could, theoretically, be done simultaneously (or at least independently of one another).

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 12:44:30 PM »
Yeah, the trickiest problem in these things are the wildly varying recording setups of people. Like, you'll get a recording by someone that heavily bleeds in the other tracks etc.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Marvellous G

• I'm not sure on the avatar swearing policy...
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 01:30:19 PM »
I'd happily lay down some guitar stuff, but I have a terrible quality webcam and that's it.  :-\ Can't say I know too much Dio, but I'd like to pay tribute in some way.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 02:50:51 PM »
okay well, should we get a definite songlist and definite players on each one? This way we can all learn/practice. I'd like to do Stargazer, Heaven & Hell, Holy Diver, and Neon Knights.

Jamesman, what do you want to lay down?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 10:06:40 PM »
I can do guitar for Holy Diver. I can try to learn any other songs you guys need.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2010, 10:16:18 PM »
I can play drums and I have a full pro tools set up. Drums are electronic, but they got a good metal song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:54 PM »
okay well, should we get a definite songlist and definite players on each one? This way we can all learn/practice. I'd like to do Stargazer, Heaven & Hell, Holy Diver, and Neon Knights.

Jamesman, what do you want to lay down?

I don't have any hookups to record or plug in...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 05:22:11 PM »
I can play drums and I have a full pro tools set up. Drums are electronic, but they got a good metal song.

Can you/do you want to do drums for any of the songs above?  If so, we can get rollin'.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 08:24:35 PM »
Well, if you ever need a French Horn part, you know who to call! :lol

Otherwise, I fully support this endeavor.

Offline Adami

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2010, 08:35:41 PM »

Can you/do you want to do drums for any of the songs above?  If so, we can get rollin'.

I don't know them, aside from Holy Diver. So as long as they're not super complicated and I have enough time to learn them, I don't see why not. I'll need to work out the recording process with the guitar players. The only program I can use is pro tools, so whoever the guitarists is/are, should probably contact me about the details.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 10:19:49 PM »

I don't know them, aside from Holy Diver. So as long as they're not super complicated and I have enough time to learn them, I don't see why not. I'll need to work out the recording process with the guitar players. The only program I can use is pro tools, so whoever the guitarists is/are, should probably contact me about the details.

Well, we pretty much need drums before we can do anything else.  My thought was have the drummer(s) track their tracks (using the original songs as a scratch track, unless you prefer otherwise), and then sending their files on their way for the bass/guitar/vocals to use.

Offline Adami

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »
Assuming the songs were recorded to a click track I can do that. Would I just be sending a mixed file? Or a session file to be mixed later?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 10:51:40 PM »
Either way.

Offline Adami

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 10:53:11 PM »
Fair enough. As long as you realize the drums will sound pretty metal and pretty processed because well........they're electronic drums and I don't feel like creating a whole new drum sound for this lol.

But give me 2-3 weeks tops. I should have it all done by then.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 12:15:38 AM »
Did we decide who's going to mix it all after? I've got a pro tools rig with thousands of dollars of extra plugins to get really nice sound. But anyone else is welcome as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »
Not sure yet.  So far, between this and the other forums I've posted it on, it appears we have at least three people who have the tools and ability and who have expressed interest.

I've got a guitarist who is definitely interested in throwing down Last In Line and Heaven & Hell.  So, Adami, those would probably be good starting points.  Any others that we get a definite 'yes' on, go for it.  Again, for me personally, I'd really like to sing on Children of the Sea and Stargazer if anyone thinks they could handle those.  (although for Stargazer, we really need keyboards as well, and so far, we don't have anyone committed)

Offline Adami

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 12:28:19 AM »
Like I said, I'm not very familiar with these songs, but based on what I've heard, they sound simple enough. So just tell me what to record and I will. If you want to mix it on pro tools, then everyone else who records has to use pro tools as well. Unless you just want me to send tons of wav files, but that would be a mess.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 01:12:22 AM »
I'd start with the two I mentioned.  Not sure about the mix yet, but I'll do some leg work and see...

Offline Adami

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 01:32:07 AM »
I'd start with the two I mentioned.  Not sure about the mix yet, but I'll do some leg work and see...

Ok. I'm going out of town tomorrow till thursday. I'll start next weekend. Shouldn't take too long.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 05:51:19 AM »
I can definitely do Holy Diver, and I'd really like to. I'd be recording over the drum tracks, making two separate audio files (one for rhythm, one for leads), and sending it to someone for mixing, correct?
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 05:57:44 AM »
I'd love to do some guitars, been playing for 15 years, but recording equipment is pretty simple but may do the job.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2010, 05:59:28 AM »
How do we go with the drum work.  Any actually takers or should we try backing tracks??
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 10:06:42 AM »
If I had the means to record I'd throw down some bass tracks :(