Author Topic: Circus Maximus  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Circus Maximus
« on: May 19, 2010, 11:37:03 AM »
Maybe I have missed the boat on these guys but I have just been turned on to them. Its obviously got a Dream Theater vibe, but wow, great vocalist and rock solid musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsBQ1v_CeFg&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8SJgoPH69Y&feature=related

Got to pick up this CD. It sounds very good indeed. :tick2:
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Circus Maximus
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:06:38 PM »
on Isolate, they have a real 80's vibe too. The vocalist reminds me a lot of Shy's Tony Mills. I will say that this is the first band where I've ever thought, "geez, this guy sounds a lot like John Petrucci."
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Noob

• The DTF Noob, but NOT a DT Noob
  • The Comfy Chair?
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »
Awesome band. When Isolate first came out, I was surprised to find it at my local Best Buy. I never heard anything from them, but had just heard about them. I bought it and was blown away.
Yeah, well I wish Windows 7 would suck my dick and give me a dinosaur, but that's not going to happen either.

Offline InTheNameOfGod

• PoS>All
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »
The 1st Chapter is one hell of a debut album.

Isolate is also great.

They have a new album out this year apparantly. Seems to be taking forever. Feels like decades ago I last listened to Isolate.
Currently listening to:

Anathema - We're Here Because We're Here *****
Kamelot - Poetry For The Poisoned **
Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées ***1/2
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing *****
Symphony X - The Odyssey ****1/2

Sweat, skin, a pulse divine to balance this restless mind.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 01:04:10 PM »
CM is the only band typically classified as a "DT clone" that I listen to with any regularity.  Their music has a refreshing edge to it.  We need some news on a new album.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 01:27:19 PM »
CM is the only band typically classified as a "DT clone" that I listen to with any regularity.  Their music has a refreshing edge to it. 

Despite having an 80s sound, their music does sound fresh and new, like it was recorded and released yesterday and not 2 decades ago. Their singer is a solid talent, using his skills to the max without ever sounding like he’s trying to sing beyond his abilities. The rest of the musicians are great and the songwriting is solid. Their songs have a nice structure that allows for a little showing off/musicianship/wankery without going overboard. Definitely will look forward to a new album.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I hope they go back to whatever they were doing on their first album.  Isolate just kind of exists...its there, but no attention grabbing moments no matter how many times I listen.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 07:02:32 PM »
The 1st Chapter I've had for over a year. Only listened to it a few times, that's it. But I hope the next album is as short as Isolate or even shorter.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »
CM is the only band typically classified as a "DT clone" that I listen to with any regularity.  Their music has a refreshing edge to it.  We need some news on a new album.   

Couldn't have said it better myself. For some reason DT-wanna be bands are never interesting despite DT being my favorite band. CM is the exception.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 09:12:14 PM »
Really an amazing band. I've been listening to Isolate non-stop the past few weeks.  :metal I still have yet to get their first album though. I hear only good things about it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:18:37 PM by MetalMike06 »

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 06:12:08 AM »
Really an amazing band. I've been listening to Isolate non-stop the past few weeks.  :metal I still have yet to get their first album though. I hear only good things about it.
I have been listen to tracks from the first album on You tube and its got a little heavier edge to it. I love the singer!!! If James was ever to retire, this guy would fit like a glove for DT. He has serious chops!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi