Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307726 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1400 on: September 07, 2017, 11:57:58 PM »
They're playing my city. I'm not a huge fan, but I went and had a good time last time around, so I might consider going again.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1401 on: September 08, 2017, 12:51:28 AM »
They miss Zagreb this time but tbh this could make me visit Slovenia, ToF might be my favorite album of this decade :azn: BTW they get so much more concerts than us :'( (I guess Mladen knows what I'm talking about, too)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1402 on: September 08, 2017, 01:57:11 AM »
Yeah, Slovenia gets more concerts than Croatia, which gets more concerts than Serbia. But we still get more concerts than Bosnia and Herzegovina.  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: September 08, 2017, 06:30:12 AM »
https://fateswarning.com/2017/09/07/announcing-next-european-tour-dates-and-live-release-recordings/
New live album

Awesome!  :metal Hopefully, a DVD too.

Hopefully, but since Jim mentions Still Life and there have been DVD's since then, it might only be an album.  Fingers crossed though.  The new album deserves a thorough representation of a live CD and DVD.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1404 on: September 08, 2017, 06:41:26 AM »
I hope for a live DVD too! But I agree it seems unlikely because the way they announced it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: September 08, 2017, 08:16:04 AM »
Really disappointed it sounds like they're only doing a live ALBUM.  After seeing the Awaken the Guardian blu ray, I'm itching for a blu ray of this current version of FW on the Theories of Flight tour.  The last live video release they had was Live in Athens from like 2004, which was so long ago.  Hopefully they reconsider and do a video release too.  Personally, I never listen to live albums, but I'll sure watch a video!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1406 on: September 08, 2017, 08:24:25 AM »
Really disappointed it sounds like they're only doing a live ALBUM.  After seeing the Awaken the Guardian blu ray, I'm itching for a blu ray of this current version of FW on the Theories of Flight tour.  The last live video release they had was Live in Athens from like 2004, which was so long ago.  Hopefully they reconsider and do a video release too.  Personally, I never listen to live albums, but I'll sure watch a video!

Me too. But it is hard to financially justify it. AtG was a no-brainer, because those were two sold out performances of a legendary record with the guys that recorded it. That's a big deal. But while I consider Theories of Flight to be one of Fates Warning's best records (its up there as arguably the best record with Ray), it simply doesn't draw enough attention to probably cover the cost of capturing and producing a Blu-ray. Sucks though. I wish they could find a way. Hell, I'd contribute a bunch on a kickstarter or go fund me something to raise money for it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1407 on: September 08, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »
same, per their tours never come to my hometown (last was in 2001).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1408 on: September 08, 2017, 09:38:32 AM »
I'm thrilled that they are making a point to avoid overlap as much as possible for this live set.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1409 on: September 08, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »
I'm thrilled that they are making a point to avoid overlap as much as possible for this live set.

Amen. Gonna be fantastic. My hopes are:

Seven Stars
White Flag
The Light and Shade of Things
From the Rooftops
One Thousand Fires
Firefly

>>>And then whatever else. But I am really hoping this six make the cut for the live record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1410 on: September 08, 2017, 08:31:02 PM »

Amen. Gonna be fantastic. My hopes are:

Seven Stars
White Flag
The Light and Shade of Things
From the Rooftops
One Thousand Fires
Firefly

>>>And then whatever else. But I am really hoping this six make the cut for the live record.

They were playing Pale Fire and Part of The Machine on the last tour. I'm hoping they bring those back for the live album. Also, not very likely, but I hope they bust out either "And Yet it Moves" or "Ghosts of Home", as those are my favorites from their respective albums. I'm pretty confident that "Rooftops", "Light and Shade", and "Firefly" will make the cut, at least. :) I'd also love to see...hear "White Flag", as well.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1411 on: October 11, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
So this is a band that I've heard about my whole life but never actually listened to until recently. Way too many classic metal and prog and rock bands to keep up with over the years (not to mention modern bands, and fledgling projects), so unfortunately they were one of the groups that got shafted.

I've only heard the first three albums but they're awesome. Old school speed metal, proto-power metal in a way, they sound exactly like early Helloween but they came first, and I actually like them more than the Keepers albums. The production is totally old school but I hope it gets better with later albums (I'm listening in chronological order). No Exit is next and I see there's a 22 minute song on there which has me psyched.

Glad to finally sink my teeth into this band. Seems like I'm going to love them.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1412 on: October 11, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
everyone has their own take and perspective, but beyond the production and some falsettos, the Helloween comparison is odd to me (and maybe the 1st time I've seen it before).

Granted, people who enjoy Helloween, enjoy FW and those 1st albums with John Arch.

the style, production and vocals at more than point/in more than 1 way change.

I'll be curious to hear your take on their other albums, namely like A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Theories of Flight and Parallels beyond No Exit.

Offline emtee

« Reply #1413 on: October 11, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »
For me everything from Disconnected forward is amazing. I like parts of APSoG and Parallels. Also the Arch/Matheos album is
stellar.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1414 on: October 11, 2017, 11:49:24 AM »
So this is a band that I've heard about my whole life but never actually listened to until recently. Way too many classic metal and prog and rock bands to keep up with over the years (not to mention modern bands, and fledgling projects), so unfortunately they were one of the groups that got shafted.

I've only heard the first three albums but they're awesome. Old school speed metal, proto-power metal in a way, they sound exactly like early Helloween but they came first, and I actually like them more than the Keepers albums. The production is totally old school but I hope it gets better with later albums (I'm listening in chronological order). No Exit is next and I see there's a 22 minute song on there which has me psyched.

Glad to finally sink my teeth into this band. Seems like I'm going to love them.

After No Exit, the band starts to shift a bit and become more melodic. Perfect Symmetry is a nice blend, but Parallels and forward, they really embrace a less thrashy vibe. There are moments, but for the most part, Fates is more melodic-progressive, as opposed to thrashy-progressive, if that makes sense.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1415 on: October 11, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »
I'm actually eager to get to that development of their sound. I wasn't expecting anything when I started the first album, but as soon as the riffs started, I was like, okay, here we go! But I can tell since these are 30+ year old records, there's gotta be surprises waiting for me on later albums. Very interested to see where they go.

everyone has their own take and perspective, but beyond the production and some falsettos, the Helloween comparison is odd to me (and maybe the 1st time I've seen it before).

Granted, people who enjoy Helloween, enjoy FW and those 1st albums with John Arch.

the style, production and vocals at more than point/in more than 1 way change.

I'll be curious to hear your take on their other albums, namely like A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Theories of Flight and Parallels beyond No Exit.

I've heard of Parallels and A Pleasant Shade of Gray so I'm definitely excited to play those. To the bolded part: really?! From the minute John Arch started singing I thought, "Wow, that's Michael Kiske, when Michael Kiske was barely a teenager!" I kid you not, with how I perceived his vocals and the Euro-style guitar work on those three albums, I thought this band was from Germany until a few minutes ago when I looked at their page on Metal Archives. You gotta be kidding me. East coast and they sounded like that?! Blows my mind. For the record, I'm 26. I was born almost 10 months to the day before Parallels came out. :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1416 on: October 11, 2017, 01:34:26 PM »
I have never EVER thought John Arch and Michael Kiske sounded remotely similar.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1417 on: October 11, 2017, 01:37:25 PM »
Man, I must be the only one. I hear it all over his voice. The higher wails, the inflection in his voice when he ends phrases especially if they go up at the end, the buttery timbre, how he sometimes 'sing-shouts' words (don't know how better to describe it), it screams Kiske to me. That's why I thought they were German at first  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1418 on: October 11, 2017, 01:40:50 PM »
Buttery timbre? John Arch? :lol

I mean, that's great if you hear all that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1419 on: October 11, 2017, 01:43:51 PM »
Man, I must be the only one. I hear it all over his voice. The higher wails, the inflection in his voice when he ends phrases especially if they go up at the end, the buttery timbre, how he sometimes 'sing-shouts' words (don't know how better to describe it), it screams Kiske to me. That's why I thought they were German at first  :lol :lol
Same. I don't know Kiske very well as I'm not fan of classic power metal but when I heard him on Avantasia's Ghostlights, I thought it was Arch.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1420 on: October 11, 2017, 01:57:14 PM »
Kiske and Arch sound nothing alike, you guys are "hearing things" :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1421 on: October 11, 2017, 02:02:30 PM »
Same. I don't know Kiske very well as I'm not fan of classic power metal but when I heard him on Avantasia's Ghostlights, I thought it was Arch.

I'm not the only one! Hooray!

I feel like I should maybe not mention this comparison at the next few live shows I go to while I'm bantering with people in line  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: October 11, 2017, 02:44:17 PM »
Add me to the list that doesn't hear Kiske at all. Arch has his own unique thing going on that not many can capture (none, to my ears). When Fates got Ray, Ray was able to channel that, but he ended up becoming a much different type of singer (thankfully). I love Arch, but I prefer Alder by leaps and bounds. There's no denying their greatness as vocalists, but I have to be in a mood for Arch's timbre and quirky delivery. I can put on Alder at any time (particularly post-No Exit) and just let it go...

Really cool that you are just getting into them Kattelox. I did a similar journey about...damn, back in 2003. Same thing -- knew of FW, knew some songs, but never really invested in the catalog. I saw them live with Queensryche/DT twice, and got completely hooked.

Funny story. My wife and I back in 2003 were hanging out early at one of the shows, and me, not being a huge Fates fan at the time (nowadays, Fates is probably my #3 band), is just standing there, and Ray Alder walks by. My wife pokes me and says to go say hello (Ray was on line getting some food). I shrugged it off, and acted like it was no big deal.  :lol I was a total idiot. I really regretted that a couple years later when I became a huge fan. Luckily, I was able to meet and spent a little time with him in 2013, told him that story, and he got a good laugh at it.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1423 on: October 11, 2017, 02:46:02 PM »
This is the first time I see Kiske/Arch comparison. I wasn't even sure this was serious at first, they sound nothing alike to my ears. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1424 on: October 11, 2017, 02:55:49 PM »
Not sure why I didn't post this pic here. I've shown it to a few guys already.

Here's a shot of Jim and John (I didn't know it was John until Mebert told me!) watching Saxon a week and a half ago in Worcester.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: October 11, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »
I really hope that at some point, Fates does a record that unites John and Ray. It doesn't have to be a whole record -- just a song. There is no animosity whatsoever between the two and they've sang live together before. The last couple of Fates records, I kept my fingers crossed that there would be this opus of a track that let both singers do their thing, with a unison at the end. Still holding out hope. One day it'll happen. :)

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1426 on: October 11, 2017, 03:42:37 PM »
Thanks Samsara  :biggrin: It's fun finding a band that I'm enthusiastic about exploring these days. Very hard to find new bands (even if they're old) that get me excited these days.

I feel silly saying they sound similar now, but damn, I just went back and listened and yup, they sound alike to me... and the production and riffs totally scream Keepers Helloween... but hey, that's just me, I also have never heard a note of FW or any Arch/Matheos/etc. material past Awaken the Guardian so keep that in mind  :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1427 on: October 11, 2017, 04:38:54 PM »
I'll be curious to hear if you still think they sound so alike after you've been listening to Arch a bit more.

When I first heard Helloween, I thought Kiske sounded a lot like Geoff Tate.  Now I don't really think so, but I think he's a lot more similar to Tate than he is to Arch.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1428 on: October 11, 2017, 05:11:01 PM »
I have to give special thanks to Lethean as you were the one who urged me to get into FW in the first place  :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1429 on: October 11, 2017, 07:13:35 PM »
Any time. :)  Although truth be told, I would have suggested that you start with the Ray Alder stuff first and then go backwards.  Just because I find that when there's a band with such a large back catalog, and you listen to the old stuff first, you might really like it and then be bummed as the band changes, or might dislike it and not persist to listen to the present material.   

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1430 on: October 12, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »
I feel silly saying they sound similar now, but damn, I just went back and listened and yup, they sound alike to me... and the production and riffs totally scream Keepers Helloween... but hey, that's just me, I also have never heard a note of FW or any Arch/Matheos/etc. material past Awaken the Guardian so keep that in mind  :biggrin:

I don't hear the Kiske/Arch thing either, other that they both sing in a very high register.

But I'm with you, that the first FW records sound a little bit like Helloween, but I thought they were even more sounding like Iron Maiden, Night on Bröcken and Spectre Within in particular. After that they set themselves more apart from their influences and developed their own style imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1431 on: October 12, 2017, 08:46:39 AM »
I am super stoked FW is doing a final run of U.S. dates to warmup for the last leg in Europe in support of Theories of Flight (and yay, new live record). I was worried I wouldn't be able to see them on this tour. Fortunately, I am able to go to two of the January U.S. shows and couldn't be more excited.

Theories of Flight is probably...top-3 for me in the Alder-era catalog. Their finest for me personally since Parallels for sure (and I love em all, none of the records are bad). To me, Theories took everything that was great about Fates Warning, put it in a blender, and gave us pretty much the record that can serve as a template for who they are as a band. And Ray sounds so much more inspired. Love the fact he wrote a lot of lyrics on the album. I find it when singers write their own lyrics, even if someone else helps with the vocal melodies (not sure if that is how it works in FW or not), it really brings a connection to the tune.

Anyway, just F'in PUMPED for January!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #1432 on: October 12, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
Hoorj! (are we allowed to hoorj here?)

Seattle, a week before G3!  2018 is starting with a bang!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1433 on: October 12, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »
Not to hijack the thread again but I made it through No Exit and Perfect Symmetry this morning. No Exit was great, but Perfect Symmetry really impressed me. Ray Alder's voice is just as awesome as Arch's, and the songwriting is getting so much better. At Fates Hands was where I realized it's my favorite album yet. I'm definitely ordering all of these ASAP. Gonna try to get one or two more albums in this afternoon.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1434 on: October 12, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
Not to hijack the thread again but I made it through No Exit and Perfect Symmetry this morning. No Exit was great, but Perfect Symmetry really impressed me. Ray Alder's voice is just as awesome as Arch's, and the songwriting is getting so much better. At Fates Hands was where I realized it's my favorite album yet. I'm definitely ordering all of these ASAP. Gonna try to get one or two more albums in this afternoon.

You aren't hijacking anything. That's what the thread is for -- FW talk! Perfect Symmetry is just killer. Through Different Eyes really set the stage for Parallels. You can easily hear it, once you've heard Parallels. I think Jim has said that in interviews before as well. Very cool you are diggin' all the FW stuff.

Such a great band with a really cool evolution in style, but still retaining who they are as a band.

www.roadstomadness.com