Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307842 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1365 on: June 15, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »
They usually play at Revolution in Amityville on Long Island, which has a capacity of 500.  But that was booked so they played Mulcahy's in Wantagh, which has a capacity of 1,200.  Since it's a bigger place, the crowd felt sparse.  Hopefully the future shows on the tour are a little more full.  They sounded totally on point though, as always!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 09:40:14 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1366 on: June 15, 2017, 09:29:38 AM »
Details, man!  Details!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1367 on: June 16, 2017, 11:22:32 AM »
New video from Jim's Tuesday the Sky project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWIq6Wul8Fw
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1368 on: June 16, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
Alright, well thanks, Mike, for pointing out that you are one of the lucky few that get a gig in your area, and refusing now SEVERAL requests to post anything about it.  Nice job, man.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: June 16, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
Alright, well thanks, Mike, for pointing out that you are one of the lucky few that get a gig in your area, and refusing now SEVERAL requests to post anything about it.  Nice job, man.

Aww, lol.  My bad -- it's been a hectic couple of days.  Well, like I said, I was kinda disappointed by the turnout first and foremost.  I counted about 75 people in attendance toward the end of the FW set.  I even have multiple FW friends from Long Island that were no-shows.  I feel like the band deserves better, so I was a little bummed, especially considering Theories of Flight was such a strong album for them.  It might be due to the fact that they are playing multiple shows in the same area (for example, their three NY/NJ shows are all within like an hour or two of each other.)  I heard last night's show in Annapolis was a full house.  I'm also going to the NYC show tonight, so we'll see how that goes crowd-wise.  The band sounded terrific though.  I give them credit for putting on a great show despite the small crowd.  They played four songs from the new album: From the Rooftops, Seven Stars, SOS, and Light and Shade.  The rest of the setlist was as expected: The Eleventh Hour, Monument, One, Firefly, etc.

Hmm, let me think of what else they said during the meet and greet.  I'm usually nervous during the M&G and say stupid stuff.  This time though, I made sure to take a moment to thank them for their music from the bottom of my heart and tell them how meaningful their music is to me.  I said FW music "feels like home" and is always so comforting to me.  They thanked me and acknowledged that even though their fanbase is small, the fans they do have are really diehard and they appreciate it.  I also told them I think the "SOS" video is the best one they've made, I told Mike Abdow that his solo in "White Flag" is killer and they should be playing that song live, and I told Jim I enjoyed his guitar work in the new Chroma Key song.

Also, there were multiple shirts available for sale.  There's a cool maroon-colored Theories of Flight shirt that I bought (band shirts are often black, so the color caught my eye), as well as a black ToF shirt and a grey long-sleeved ToF shirt.  They also had a Still Life (their live album from the 1990s) shirt, which was unexpected, so I might pick that one up too.  There were one or two others, I think.   

And here's a video of them performing SOS that I shot during soundcheck in Wantagh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_HvR3V2YbA
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:32:13 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1370 on: June 16, 2017, 03:40:40 PM »
They're also playing three or four parts of APSOG this time, and from what I heard they sound awesome!!! Can't wait for next Wednesday!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1371 on: June 16, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
Great video!  Someone else had one that came up after yours of Monument.  :metal

That shirt sounds cool.  I am going to check their site and see if they are selling them there. 

EDIT:  nope.  :(

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: June 16, 2017, 05:08:12 PM »
I really need to see them live. They are in Cleveland this tour, but it's on a Thursday, which is basically impossible for me given the distance. They are also in Detroit, which is 3.5 hours from me and might be possible with a half day that Friday. That is a lot of driving, though, especially since I will probably do 4 hours of driving at work that day already.

Edit: I'll add that the only time I've seen them was on the DT/QR/FW tour. Which feels like an eternity ago.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:35:28 PM by pogoowner »

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: June 18, 2017, 09:46:06 AM »
The NYC show at the Gramercy on Friday night was wonderful. Looked close to a full house and the crowd brought lots of energy, and the band was on fire. Definitely one of my most favorite FW shows I've been to.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1374 on: June 18, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
I ended up getting a ticket for tonight, so I'll be seeing them then and also in a week and a half in Sellersville, yaaaas.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1375 on: June 19, 2017, 09:10:46 AM »
Begging Jim to get a few Cali dates on the schedule after those Texas gigs later this summer...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1376 on: June 22, 2017, 07:15:56 AM »
Saw them yesterday in Toronto, and they really nailed it, despite the scarce and somewhat quiet crowd.

One thing I noticed is how Ray changed his vocals on the older tracks - he'd never be able to sing them as they were recorded originally. But it sounded quite cool. I didn't notice any detuning of those tracks. Can anyone with a more educated ear confirm?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: June 22, 2017, 10:58:14 AM »

One thing I noticed is how Ray changed his vocals on the older tracks - he'd never be able to sing them as they were recorded originally. But it sounded quite cool. I didn't notice any detuning of those tracks. Can anyone with a more educated ear confirm?

I can't confirm, but I can say when I saw them in Dec. 2013 on the Darkness in a Different Light tour, Ray sounded the same way, and he sounded amazing. He does still have some of that old range. He chooses not to do it to save his voice, and because he just doesn't want to sing like that. He's commented a couple times about it in the last few years. I did notice he went a little higher on some parts on Theories of Flight (not old school high, but highER) in the spots that called for it...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1378 on: June 22, 2017, 12:47:56 PM »
I'll be seeing them tonight in Cleveland. I'll try to give a little report on the show. I can usually pick up when bands change tuning in a live setting, but it's not always easy for me to pick up on.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1379 on: June 23, 2017, 12:45:34 AM »

I don't have a perfect ear, and I haven't played an instrument in a few years. However, I believe that on the songs that Jim used the guitar with the dark blue coloring on the older songs(and The Light and Shade of Things) that he was tuned down a full step from standard tuning. Basically the tuning on the original songs would have been EADGBA (aka A440). The tuning that I think that he was using tonight in Cleveland would be DGCFAD. That's only a guess.

When he was using the guitar with the clear coat finish I believe that they were tuned C,F,Asharp/Bflat,Dsharp/Eflat,Gsharp/Aflat,C. That tuning is used on all of the songs from FWX onward with the exception of The Light and Shade of Things.

Once again, someone with a better ear could confirm, or deny this.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: June 23, 2017, 02:02:44 PM »
New instrumental playthrough video featuring Jim Matheos, Kevin Moore and God is an Astronaut drummer Lloyd Hanney for Tuesday the Sky's song, "It Comes in Waves."

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq85M8O2IgA&feature=share

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1381 on: June 23, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »

I don't have a perfect ear, and I haven't played an instrument in a few years. However, I believe that on the songs that Jim used the guitar with the dark blue coloring on the older songs(and The Light and Shade of Things) that he was tuned down a full step from standard tuning. Basically the tuning on the original songs would have been EADGBA (aka A440). The tuning that I think that he was using tonight in Cleveland would be DGCFAD. That's only a guess.

When he was using the guitar with the clear coat finish I believe that they were tuned C,F,Asharp/Bflat,Dsharp/Eflat,Gsharp/Aflat,C. That tuning is used on all of the songs from FWX onward with the exception of The Light and Shade of Things.

Ever since FWX, They've tuned mostly to a half-step down and drop C#/Db. Occasionally, they still use Drop D on record (One Thousand Fires, I Am, Seven Stars, SOS). Everything on Theories, with the exception of the two mentioned above is either a half-step down or drop C#. :)
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1382 on: June 23, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »

Ever since FWX, They've tuned mostly to a half-step down and drop C#/Db. Occasionally, they still use Drop D on record (One Thousand Fires, I Am, Seven Stars, SOS). Everything on Theories, with the exception of the two mentioned above is either a half-step down or drop C#. :)

Ahh, good to know. I could definitely tell on a few things that they played last night, and I was trying to make a slightly educated guess. It was very apparent when they played Through Different Eyes, but I had a hard time picking up on a major pitch change on most of the other "older" stuff. Your explanation of the tuning being closer to the original than mine makes a ton more sense.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1383 on: June 24, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
If you want to improve your Portuguese skills, check out the review I wrote for Brazilian website Whiplash:

https://whiplash.net/materias/shows/265003-fateswarning.html

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1384 on: June 25, 2017, 06:27:34 AM »

Yup, and occasionally they go even lower - Firefly is in drop B and some of the stuff on FWX is in drop C.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: July 02, 2017, 04:56:54 PM »
I went to the final two shows of the FW tour in Hartford and Boston.  To me, the Boston show was the best one I saw (I also saw the Long Island and Manhattan shows).  The Boston venue was Brighton Music Hall and it was the perfect size and type of venue for FW.  I feel like the venue can make a big difference in the overall vibe of a show.  Things just seemed electric last night.  Anyway, I stumbled across a YouTube video from last night's show for "Life in Still Water," which kicks ass live: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gP5FMVPmJl8
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:44:33 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1386 on: July 02, 2017, 06:59:21 PM »
Apparently Ray was overheard telling Jim, "There's that guy again."

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1387 on: July 02, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »
I also went to the final two shows of the FW tour in Hartford and Boston.  To me, the Boston show was the best of the four I saw (I also saw the Long Island and Manhattan shows).  The Boston venue was Brighton Music Hall and it was the perfect size and type of venue for FW.  I feel like the venue can make a big difference in the overall vibe of a show.  Things just seemed electric last night.  Anyway, I recorded the final song of the final show, as well as the final bows of the band at the end.  The sound quality didn't come through well on my phone, but here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdySXT9uKA

I'm seeing Haken there again
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1388 on: July 07, 2017, 02:07:20 AM »
Not entirely Fates related but still quite interesting and surprising - Mark Zonder joins Tim Ripper Owens, Steve DiGiorgio and Chris Caffery
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tim-ripper-owens-and-chris-caffery-joined-in-new-project-by-steve-digiorgio-and-mark-zonder/

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1389 on: July 07, 2017, 06:13:15 AM »
Not entirely Fates related but still quite interesting and surprising - Mark Zonder joins Tim Ripper Owens, Steve DiGiorgio and Chris Caffery
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/tim-ripper-owens-and-chris-caffery-joined-in-new-project-by-steve-digiorgio-and-mark-zonder/

Looking forward to it. But hey, why did Mark leave FW?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1390 on: July 07, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »

One of the reasons that Mark mentioned was the inconsistent touring schedule with Fates. Not sure if that's entirely the whole reason(s).

But since Mark left, touring has been more consistent and Fates has been firing on all cylinders with the last two releases.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1391 on: July 07, 2017, 08:06:17 AM »

One of the reasons that Mark mentioned was the inconsistent touring schedule with Fates. Not sure if that's entirely the whole reason(s).

But since Mark left, touring has been more consistent and Fates has been firing on all cylinders with the last two releases.

I forget exactly when Mark left, but I do believe it was during the period that OSI was more of a priority for Jim than Fates Warning. So Fates wasn't touring much at all, and Mark wanted other opportunities. Ironically, when Jim shifted over to concentrating more on Fates starting...I think it was a couple years prior to Darkness in a Different Light, Fates began touring more heavily again and they cemented the lineup with Bobby Jarzombek on drums.

There's no real animosity between Zonder and the Fates guys. He played the Parallels reunion gigs a couple years back with Fates. I think it was just all around weird timing and priorities at certain times for each of the guys. It appears (and I'm happy about it, personally) that the current four-man lineup of Ray, Jim, Bobby, and Joey are set in stone (as much as this stuff is permanent) with both Frank Aresti and Mike Abdow contributing solos and small pieces to the records, with Mike handling live duties.

All in all, it has been pretty good as a Fates fan lately...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1392 on: July 07, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »

I forget exactly when Mark left, but I do believe it was during the period that OSI was more of a priority for Jim than Fates Warning. So Fates wasn't touring much at all, and Mark wanted other opportunities. Ironically, when Jim shifted over to concentrating more on Fates starting...I think it was a couple years prior to Darkness in a Different Light, Fates began touring more heavily again and they cemented the lineup with Bobby Jarzombek on drums.

There's no real animosity between Zonder and the Fates guys. He played the Parallels reunion gigs a couple years back with Fates. I think it was just all around weird timing and priorities at certain times for each of the guys. It appears (and I'm happy about it, personally) that the current four-man lineup of Ray, Jim, Bobby, and Joey are set in stone (as much as this stuff is permanent) with both Frank Aresti and Mike Abdow contributing solos and small pieces to the records, with Mike handling live duties.

All in all, it has been pretty good as a Fates fan lately...
I've never heard that before - about him wanting other opportunities.  I thought he actually wanted to tour less. He was still in the band when Nick D'Virgilio was filling in at the live shows.  I thought him leaving officially was part of the reason (maybe just a small part) that Fates went on a hiatus (at least in the studio)?  He doesn't seem to have been doing much since he left that would have prevented him from also being with Fates Warning.  I could be completely wrong as it has been a long time since I've read anything about it. 

I like Bobby Jarzombek in the line up and think you're right: things have been good as a Fates fan.  I do wish Frank Aresti would play a few live shows.  Maybe in a few years his schedule will allow it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1393 on: July 07, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »
I do remember reading an interview with him a few years ago that confirms what Sam is saying about the tour schedule. Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck when I try to do a search to find the interview online.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: July 07, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
I do remember reading an interview with him a few years ago that confirms what Sam is saying about the tour schedule. Unfortunately, I'm not having any luck when I try to do a search to find the interview online.

I couldn't find it either. But at least I know my memory isn't completely faulty!  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1395 on: July 07, 2017, 11:40:27 PM »

I couldn't find it either. But at least I know my memory isn't completely faulty!  :lol

Oh no, I'm not saying you're wrong at all.  I remember reading that he didn't want to tour with them, and I probably assumed it was because he didn't want to tour as much, because that's a reasonable assumption and happens all the time.  But in this case I was probably wrong.  I did find this on his reasons for leaving/not touring:

USAProgMusic: I understand completely. I’ve been in my share of bands and they’re all about what they want to do, but nobody’s open to any ideas or change. Now, one of the rumors circulating was you didn’t want to do much touring with Fates Warning when you were with them. Do you plan on taking Slavior out on the road?

Mark: Well, I was in the band for 14 years and it was fun touring and I loved it, but that 14 years later, it just started to be a drag. It just wasn’t any fun anymore and the band wasn’t progressing in a way that I had wanted it to. I didn’t see any big future in it so it was just time to go. It’s not about touring, but who you’re touring with. Having a good time and doing what you love, you know? Because with touring, there’s a lot of sacrifice that goes along with it; you’re leaving home, you’re leaving everything behind and so on and so forth. It needs to be at least fun. The bottom line is, if you’re going out and not having any fun and it’s a drag, then why do it? Now, Slavior is a full touring band. That was the whole idea from the beginning. We did a few shows back in January and that was to show that we’re a full band, not just a project. There’s a couple things being set up as we speak in gear for the summer time. We’re currently rehearsing with our new bass player and we’re basically ready to go. It’s a matter of finding the right opportunity to go. We’re not a band that could just get up and go out in our hometown, we just can’t pick up and play next Friday night.  It takes a little bit of getting together since Gregg lives in New Mexico, and the rest of us live in San Diego. We’re not all 19 years old and we’re not about to get up and play a whole bunch of crappy gigs just to play. There’s no point.

Found here:  https://usaprogmusic.com/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=54&Itemid=45

I'd say you were right, and I was just working it out in the thread instead of in my head, so to speak. :)

In any case, I think Bobby is a great fit for them and can't say I like him better or worse than Mark.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1396 on: August 25, 2017, 04:30:11 PM »
Fates show from Boston last month.
https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=599627

Sounds great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1398 on: September 07, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
 :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie