Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307736 times)

Online Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1295 on: February 09, 2017, 09:30:26 AM »
My three favorite Fates Warning albums had been Parallels, Perfect Symmetry, and Inside Out. 

But now Theories has taken the top spot, but Parallels is still a close second.

It's kinda funny; I've been a Fates fan since 2012- but I really didn't start to appreciate how great an album Parallels was until last year, in the weeks while I waited for Theories of Flight to be released. And ever since Theories came out, I haven't really stopped to think about what my exact ranking for all of the albums are now, aside from Theories being the new benchmark for me.

I got into the band through the John Arch era with Awaken the Guardian, which is still an album I hold rather closely to my heart, but then my mind drifts back to later works with Ray like Perfect Symmetry or Parallels or A Pleasant Shade of Gray and I have absolutely no clue what order to rank all those wonderful albums in. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1296 on: March 16, 2017, 11:55:21 AM »

Legendary progressive metal act Fates Warning celebrated the 30th anniversary of their third album, Awaken the Guardian, in 2016. To celebrate this milestone, Jim Matheos (guitar) reassembled the Awaken the Guardian-era lineup for two special festival appearances last year: Keep it True XIX and Prog Power USA XVII. Fortunately for fans that were not able to attend, each show was filmed and recorded in its entirety for the upcoming DVD/Blu-ray, Awaken the Guardian Live!
For a preview of this release, a video for "Fata Morgana" from Keep it True XIX can be viewed at: metalblade.com/fateswarning - where Awaken the Guardian Live can also be pre-ordered in the following formats:
--Deluxe Edition Artbook (52 pages, 4-CD, DVD, Blu-ray - limited to 2000 copies)
--2CD + DVD Digipak
--Blu-ray (USA exclusive)
--180g black vinyl
--indigo blue vinyl (limited to 300 copies - EU exclusive)
--turquois green vinyl (limited to 200 copies - EU exclusive)
--purple vinyl (limited to 300 copies - USA exclusive)
*exclusive bundles with a shirt, plus digital options are also available!
Directed and edited by Oliver "Bomber" Barth, the Keep It True XIX footage was recorded on April 30th, 2016 in Lauda-Konigshofen, Germany; the Prog Power USA footage was recorded on September 9th, 2016 in Atlanta, GA with sound recording and video editing by Kent Smith, plus audio and video recording services provided by Lucid Lounge Studios - Atlanta. Mixed and mastered by Bill Metoyer at SkullSeven Studio in North Hollywood, CA, Awaken the Guardian Live also features art direction, design, and artwork by Ioannis (dangerousage.com), making this a must-have piece for any fan's collection. Awaken the Guardian vocalist John Arch comments about the experience: "It was truly a surreal experience being able to share the spirit of 'Awaken The Guardian' at these shows. We would like to take this opportunity to thank all the fans that have given back so much over the 30 year span since the album's release. To all our family and friends, much gratitude."
Fates Warning online:
https://www.fateswarning.com
https://www.facebook.com/FatesWarning
https://twitter.com/fateswarning

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1297 on: March 16, 2017, 01:19:24 PM »
Yeah, pretty cool stuff. I picked up the Deluxe Edition Artbook version. To me, it's totally worth it for 49.99. The DVD is a throwaway for me, but the Blu-Ray, 4 CDs, and the book for what amounts to about 9 bucks per piece, with the DVD as a throw in? Easy justification on that one. I almost splurged on the version with the Purple Vinyl, but hey, it's tax time, so gotta pay the man.  :lol :tdwn

Can't wait to get it. I'm a much bigger fan of the Alder era, but there's no denying Awaken the Guardian, and I've come to really appreciate John Arch's unique tone and style. Bring on April 21!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: March 16, 2017, 01:35:56 PM »
Here's my money!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1299 on: March 16, 2017, 02:35:37 PM »
I ended up getting the BR, DVD+2CD and the Artbook LOL. Not sure why, but I felt I need to support FW big time. Love FW!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1300 on: March 16, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
Arch is my god. I will definitely be picking this up  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: March 16, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
Must have.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1302 on: March 16, 2017, 05:25:42 PM »
Considering I was at the ProgPower show, this is an easy buy.

Also, WTF April 28th.

Big Big Train, Ayreon, MindMaze, Lonely Robot, Pyramaze, and now Fates Warning all releasing that day.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1303 on: March 16, 2017, 06:01:57 PM »
Here's my money!

:lol

Yup.

It'll be great for these tunes to get a real updated treatment.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1304 on: March 17, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »
I just don't like the old material.  But perhaps hearing it with modern sound will change my opinion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: March 17, 2017, 08:25:04 AM »
I just don't like the old material.  But perhaps hearing it with modern sound will change my opinion.

This is with the original singer, John Arch, bosk. I'm not sure you'd be into it. He's got a very distinct style if you're not as familiar with him as you are with Ray Alder. It took me forever to really enjoy Arch. But it's still an acquired taste for me, and not something I consciously reach for when wanting to listen to FW.

There are some YouTube clips up (audience recordings) of these shows with Arch. You should probably sample them first...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1306 on: March 17, 2017, 08:28:57 AM »

This is with the original singer, John Arch, bosk. I'm not sure you'd be into it. He's got a very distinct style if you're not as familiar with him as you are with Ray Alder. It took me forever to really enjoy Arch. But it's still an acquired taste for me, and not something I consciously reach for when wanting to listen to FW.

There are some YouTube clips up (audience recordings) of these shows with Arch. You should probably sample them first...

Arch isn't really the problem I had with the earlier songs.  In fact, Ray's timbre on the pre-X stuff with him is more of a sticking point for me than Arch's.  It's just their overall sound.  As I've said before, it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what I don't like about their earlier stuff.  On paper, they are a band that pretty much checks all the boxes for me.  But the sum total of that just never worked for me until the more recent albums, other than a song here and there (the "hits" from Parallels, Monument, and a few others).  But I actually like the odd combo of power and quirkiness of Arch's voice.  I still listen to Arch/Matheos fairly regularly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1307 on: March 17, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »
While Awaken the Guardian isn't my favorite FW album anymore (that'd be Theories of Flight now), I am definitely going to get myself a copy of this set. Awaken the Guardian is a masterpiece and the fan footage online of these performances looked awesome! :metal :hefdaddy
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1308 on: March 17, 2017, 09:23:40 AM »
For me Awaken The Guardian is a good one that has a sub-par production, so it will be nice to have a version with an updated sound. But why is there no audio only version? Don't need the visuals as I normally watch it once and then shelf it. Maybe there's a download option?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1309 on: March 17, 2017, 10:28:25 AM »
For me Awaken The Guardian is a good one that has a sub-par production, so it will be nice to have a version with an updated sound. But why is there no audio only version? Don't need the visuals as I normally watch it once and then shelf it. Maybe there's a download option?

Yes, there's a download version available. The link for the digital version is on the right side

https://metalblade.com/fateswarning/

Yes, that's what I loved about Sympathetic Resonance. Would love to hear Awaken with an updated production and this will be it.

I hope they do the same for parallels down the road since they have toured with the original lineup a few years back

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1310 on: March 17, 2017, 12:52:59 PM »
Yep, if memory serves, they did reunion tours for both Parallels and Inside Out. So I wouldn't be surprised if they did some sort of live package that includes both of those tours in one big thing like they are doing with AWG.

Probably another four or five disc set featuring that era performing those records. I hope so. That would be pretty cool to have. Although to be honest, I love Theories of Flight and really enjoyed the show I saw on the Darkness in a Different Light tour, so I am hoping they do a proper live release at some point.

The thing about these live releases though...YouTube, I think is killing the probability of them. I mean, I am sure Metal Blade is making a little bit, otherwise they wouldn't do it. But I have had a couple of guys talk to me over the last several years that rep other bands in the same genre, and both said that while fans love the live releases, they simply don't sell because of YouTube, which makes it an unattractive idea to a lot of labels and bands nowadays.

So when I see stuff like this huge AWG package come out, it makes me happy, because I love live stuff. But they now (it seems) have to go over the top with the different packages (vinyl, colored vinyl, books, etc.) in order to make it attractive to most people to buy. And even then, I doubt it'll sell huge.

For the huge bands, it doesn't matter. I mean, Muse doing a live record, Foo Fighters, Metallica, etc., those will sell. But for bands like Fates Warning, it's sorta a bummer, because I'm not sure we'll get a normal "live record/Blu-ray" of a modern tour because of the sinking profitability of that. They need some sort of landmark (AWG, Parallels) in order for it to sell, and even then, it's not a foregone conclusion that it will.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1311 on: March 17, 2017, 01:16:47 PM »
Arch still sounds awesome. I bow down  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I wish I could have seen this live

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: March 22, 2017, 10:57:24 AM »
U.S. tour dates!!!!

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-announces-u-s-tour-dates/

Jun. 11 - Poughkeepsie, NY - The Chance
Jun. 13 - Clifton Park. NY - Upstate Concert Hall
Jun. 16 - New York, NY - Gramercy Theater
Jun. 17 - Patchogue, NY - 89 North
Jun. 20 - Buffalo, NY - Ironworks
Jun. 22 - Cleveland, OH - Agora Ballroom
Jun. 23 - Detroit, MI - Token Lounge
Jun. 24 - Joliet, IL - The Forge
Jun. 25 - Milwaukee, WI - Shank Hall
Jun. 27 - Pittsburgh, PA - The Rex
Jun. 30 - Hartford, CT - Webster Theater
Jul. 01 - Allston, MA - Brighton Music Hall
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1313 on: March 22, 2017, 11:04:47 AM »
U.S. northeast tour dates!!!!

Fixed

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1314 on: March 22, 2017, 11:10:17 AM »
U.S. northeast tour dates!!!!

Fixed

Since when are Illinois and Wisconsin in the northeast? 

A Saturday night show in Illinois is very tempting, but I'm scheduled to be out of town for work for 4 days/nights that week.  Not sure the wife would like me coming home for a day, then taking a night to be out while she's left with the kid again. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1315 on: March 22, 2017, 11:11:45 AM »
Since when are Illinois and Wisconsin in the northeast? 

Since "close enough."  :p  They are definitely north, and they are pretty far east of here, so...

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1316 on: March 22, 2017, 01:57:58 PM »
Ray just posted a flyer on Facebook that has a NJ date on June 18.  That means there are three FW shows within 90 minutes of my home from Friday-Sunday, June 16-18.  Oh, baby!  Fates Warning weekend!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1317 on: March 22, 2017, 02:20:40 PM »
They're playing Cleveland (about 70 miles north of me) the day before my birthday. I'm fuckin' pumped!!!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1318 on: March 22, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »
Oh wow, they are playing The Rex in Pittsburgh, that's like 25 minutes away from me... Might have to hit this up.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1319 on: March 22, 2017, 02:37:36 PM »
I consider myself lucky to have seen them, since they only came near Philly like once in the past 15 years.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1320 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »
Oh wow, they are playing The Rex in Pittsburgh, that's like 25 minutes away from me... Might have to hit this up.

Is that a nice venue? Depending on work obligations that might be a better choice for me.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1321 on: March 22, 2017, 05:12:08 PM »
Ray just posted a flyer on Facebook that has a NJ date on June 18. 

YES. Basically anywhere Eastern PA or NJ is preferable to going to NYC.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1322 on: March 23, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »

Is that a nice venue? Depending on work obligations that might be a better choice for me.

Eh, I haven't been there in a while. I don't remember it being bad, just your usual club/bar type venue.

Online Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1323 on: March 23, 2017, 09:10:07 AM »
Sadly there's no tour dates anywhere remotely close to where I live so far, so I'm hoping we get a later tour leg in the Southeast so that I have a better shot at attending a show. lol
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1324 on: March 23, 2017, 10:17:41 AM »
Sadly there's no tour dates anywhere remotely close to where I live so far, so I'm hoping we get a later tour leg in the Southeast so that I have a better shot at attending a show. lol

Ray did say that they are hitting the south later in the year.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1325 on: March 23, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »

Yes, the long wait is finally over!!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1326 on: March 23, 2017, 06:54:36 PM »
YES.

Sellersville date added on June 28th.

This could not be more perfect. 10 minutes from me, easy to park, excellent venue. Not a lot comes there, but I love it when bands do.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
Very cool. I can't make a planned east coast swing happen in June, around Father's Day. But I will probably do a little roadtrip in the fall if that is around the timeframe the west coast is booked.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1328 on: March 24, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »
probably will go to that sellersville show. That's fairly convenient