Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 310919 times)

Offline goo-goo

Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1260 on: December 29, 2016, 01:24:33 PM »
Thanks for that. Jens Bogren is who I was thinking of. I didn't realize DIADL was mixed by Magnotti. I thought it was Jim. Sorry! :)

Darkness was mixed by Magnotti but mastered by Maor Appelbaum who seems to have very well known credits.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1261 on: January 10, 2017, 10:54:58 AM »
Finally listened to Theories of Flight. An amazing album. Love the music and lyrics. The Light and Shade of Things is one awesome song, it may surpass Still Remains as my favorite.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1262 on: January 10, 2017, 01:34:22 PM »
Finally listened to Theories of Flight. An amazing album. Love the music and lyrics. The Light and Shade of Things is one awesome song, it may surpass Still Remains as my favorite.

It's now my favorite Fates Warning song no question.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1263 on: January 10, 2017, 10:35:38 PM »

It's getting there....

I also like how TTOF is instrumental and closes the album. It's like Disconnected
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1264 on: January 10, 2017, 10:46:16 PM »

It's definitely in contention for me. And I'm quite sure Theories of Flight is now my favorite FW album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1265 on: January 11, 2017, 03:08:47 PM »
TOF, the song is directly connected to Ghosts from Home. Just listen to the spoken parts woven into the instrumental...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1266 on: January 12, 2017, 11:30:45 AM »
I just noticed seven of Fates Warning's 17 scheduled shows over the next month or so are taking place in Germany.  That's interesting.  I'd never realized Germany has so much fan support for the band.  I knew Greece liked Fates Warning, but not Germany.  Cool stuff!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1267 on: February 08, 2017, 02:48:23 PM »
Can I get some love for "Island in the Stream," off of Inside Out? I've always loved it, but man, was listening today, and had one of those moments where you're just blown away by how good it is. Anybody else out there think this is one FW's finest moments?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1268 on: February 08, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »
Can I get some love for "Island in the Stream," off of Inside Out? I've always loved it, but man, was listening today, and had one of those moments where you're just blown away by how good it is. Anybody else out there think this is one FW's finest moments?

First of all, Inside Out is a GREAT album. Might be odd coming from me, as it is not necessarily heavy nor is it really progressive. It's simple and melodical. Not the tyope of album that I think a band should make. But it just works. Totally.
TBH, Island In The Stream usually gets skipped. I'll spin it in your honor tonight!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1269 on: February 08, 2017, 02:55:39 PM »
Inside Out was top 3 for me for a long time.  Not sure it would still be these days, but wouldn't be far off.  Great melodies, great performances, excellent solos and just a great record.  Not far off the quality of Parallels if you ask me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1270 on: February 08, 2017, 03:02:06 PM »

First of all, Inside Out is a GREAT album. Might be odd coming from me, as it is not necessarily heavy nor is it really progressive. It's simple and melodical. Not the tyope of album that I think a band should make. But it just works. Totally.
TBH, Island In The Stream usually gets skipped. I'll spin it in your honor tonight!

It's a pretty rainy day here, so the emotion in the song really came out. Yep, I've always known you've liked Inside Out, Tim!  :laugh:

Inside Out was top 3 for me for a long time.  Not sure it would still be these days, but wouldn't be far off.  Great melodies, great performances, excellent solos and just a great record.  Not far off the quality of Parallels if you ask me.

Agree completely. I've always considered it more Parallels Pt. 2 -- same general direction. Obviously, they took a bit of a turn with APSOG after that...

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1271 on: February 08, 2017, 03:09:06 PM »
Island in the stream is my second favorite FW song and one of my favorite songs ever written. It has on occasion brought tears to my eyes and has helped me through some rough times.

I love the album of inside out as well.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1272 on: February 08, 2017, 03:22:06 PM »
Island in the stream is my second favorite FW song and one of my favorite songs ever written. It has on occasion brought tears to my eyes and has helped me through some rough times.

I love the album of inside out as well.

Nice dude.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: February 08, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
Inside Out is excellent

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1274 on: February 08, 2017, 04:20:09 PM »

It's definitely in contention for me. And I'm quite sure Theories of Flight is now my favorite FW album.

Agreed on both counts. :metal

As for Inside Out, it's an album that's grown on me a bit over the past few months- but my personal fave off that album is Pale Fire. Really love the lyrics on that one.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: February 08, 2017, 04:20:57 PM »
Inside Out and APSOG were the first two Fates albums I heard. I found them used at a local store and listened to them both that night. Not sure which one I actually spun first, but Inside Out is special to me for that reason. I remember staring at the cover for a long time before realizing it actually said "Inside Out."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1276 on: February 08, 2017, 04:32:19 PM »
Thinking about a top 3 FW;

1. Parallels (I don't think this will ever be dethroned)
2. Theories of Flight (I'm pretty confident to have this as my number two, it's incredible.)
3. Inside Out or Disconnected (This is where it gets tough for me, depends on my mood, but Disconnected might edge it.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1277 on: February 08, 2017, 04:35:10 PM »
Thinking about a top 3 FW;

1. Parallels (I don't think this will ever be dethroned)
2. Theories of Flight (I'm pretty confident to have this as my number two, it's incredible.)
3. Inside Out 

This is mine! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: February 08, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »
A few years ago Inside Out would be number three without question.  Disconnected took so long for me to get into, at first, I didn't get it at all.  But now I've grown to love the sounds, mood, atmosphere and everything about it.  I'm not the proggiest of prog guys, that that is brilliant prog done right.  Might have to listen to both.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: February 08, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »
What do you guys think of "A Handful of Doubt" from X? I love this track. It starts slow, builds and has a powerful moody second half.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1280 on: February 08, 2017, 06:32:34 PM »
What do you guys think of "A Handful of Doubt" from X? I love this track. It starts slow, builds and has a powerful moody second half.

I remember really liking X when it came out, but it's been years since I've listened to it, I can't remember much about it, except for Left Here and Another Perfect Day.  Great songs.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1281 on: February 08, 2017, 06:48:40 PM »

That and Wish are my favorite songs from X.

My top 3:

1. APSOG
2. Parrallels
3. ToF

Inside out is a great album, and I would probably rank it somewhere around 5-7 in their discography. Islands is an amazing song!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1282 on: February 09, 2017, 12:26:57 AM »
They're playing hand full of doubt on the current tour. Plus, the last part of Ivory Gates. Inside Out was always in my top 3 Fates albums. Very underrated, I feel.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1283 on: February 09, 2017, 04:13:18 AM »
They're playing hand full of doubt on the current tour. Plus, the last part of Ivory Gates. Inside Out was always in my top 3 Fates albums. Very underrated, I feel.

Definitely.  Because it came after Parallels.

Offline Awaken

« Reply #1284 on: February 09, 2017, 04:38:39 AM »

Definitely my favorite track on what is probably their most underrated effort.  I love the evolution this band has made throughout their career.  Each effort has everything I love about the band but is delivered in such a variety of ways. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1285 on: February 09, 2017, 04:56:23 AM »
I don't get why people don't talk more about FWX. It's a great record, yet there's a percentage of people who think it's their worst album.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1286 on: February 09, 2017, 05:35:40 AM »
Yeah, FWX is fucking amazing. I do get some people might like it less, as I did in the beginning - hard to follow up Disconnected. But over time I've started ranking it among their best.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1287 on: February 09, 2017, 07:27:11 AM »
Yeah, FWX is fucking amazing. I do get some people might like it less, as I did in the beginning - hard to follow up Disconnected. But over time I've started ranking it among their best.

Glad I'm not the only one. My Top 5 would be:

-Theories
-Disconnected
-FWX
-Parallels/Inside Out
-Darkness

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #1288 on: February 09, 2017, 07:37:07 AM »

Funny, when you first posted about "Island in the Stream", the first thing that popped into my head was "A Handful of Doubt".  They both have a mellow, contemplative quality punctuated by bits of heaviness in the middle.  Both so good.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline emtee

« Reply #1289 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
Add me to those who love FWX. Love it from start to finish. Top 3 for sure maybe #2.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: February 09, 2017, 08:14:19 AM »

Begging them to bring this to the U.S. I would love to see both of those tunes. We'll see if it happens. Most likely timeframe would be Fall...

Glad there is some love from the crowd here for FWX. I had been a casual fan for years until I saw them open for QR and DT in 2003, and I immediately couldn't believe I hadn't fully explored the catalog. So FWX was my first "new" FW album. So I became a hardcore in summer 2003, bought everything, and have purchased every release starting with FWX on release day. I was fortunate to see them twice on the 2003 summer tour, and then once in support of Darkness in a Different Light (they didn't play anywhere within 300 miles of me for FWX -- LA was the only gigs, I believe).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: February 09, 2017, 08:50:08 AM »
Hopefully they release a live album from this tour; I think they are due for a live release and its a perfect time with such a strong positive reaction for the new album.

I always enjoy FWX when I play it, but I don't listen to it very often.  I'll listen to it this week.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: February 09, 2017, 08:55:04 AM »
A bunch of folks posted their favorite Fates records. To be honest, I've never really thought about it aside from Parallels.

Right now (although subject to a ton of change), my top-2 are:

Parallels
Theories of Flight

The rest are really in a melting pot. I'm a bigger fan of the Alder-fronted Fates for sure. But while I love all the albums, those two rise to the top. I do have a soft spot for FWX though...

Hopefully they release a live album from this tour; I think they are due for a live release and its a perfect time with such a strong positive reaction for the new album.

I always enjoy FWX when I play it, but I don't listen to it very often.  I'll listen to it this week.

They are absolutely due for a live record for sure. I'm wondering if they are going to release the shows with Arch in celebration of Awaken the Guardian. But personally, I'd prefer a live Blu-ray/CD package from the last two tours...(Darkness and the current one).

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: February 09, 2017, 09:03:41 AM »
My three favorite Fates Warning albums had been Parallels, Perfect Symmetry, and Inside Out. 

But now Theories has taken the top spot, but Parallels is still a close second.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #1294 on: February 09, 2017, 09:06:06 AM »
If I didn't buy FWX, which was the only album at the Hastings, I'd have never heard my favorite FW song...Wish. the atmosphere and lyrics give me a feeling of ease. It's one song I put on when I'm feeling down or to calm my mind.