Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 307767 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1610 on: May 25, 2018, 10:45:25 AM »
The Light And Shade of Things, from the new live album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvT6GyrrhG4

Hell yes. Ray is sounding good. I hope these aren't all overdubs.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1611 on: May 25, 2018, 10:51:21 AM »
This isn't the show that I saw but from my memory, he sounded better on the show that I saw than here, so I doubt that there are dubs or many of them.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1612 on: May 25, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »
Super solid performance  :metal

Offline Chris Hinton

« Reply #1613 on: May 25, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
The Light And Shade of Things, from the new live album https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvT6GyrrhG4

Hell yes. Ray is sounding good. I hope these aren't all overdubs.

I doubt there were any overdubs.  I saw them on the first night of their tour and Ray sounded fantastic.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1614 on: May 25, 2018, 03:07:52 PM »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: May 26, 2018, 02:29:27 AM »
Hell yeah, this is great! :metal My favourite song from Theories of Flight too.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1616 on: May 26, 2018, 08:19:34 AM »

I think this song just clicked for me.  great performance.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1617 on: May 27, 2018, 04:26:42 AM »

Fantastic live rendition of what is arguably the band's best song to date! :hefdaddy

Also, as a side-note, I really hope we see more of a presence from Mike Abdow on the next Fates Warning album. Dude had a siiiick solo in White Flag and his own solo work is really impressive too. It'd be neat to see him fully enlisted into the band. The dude's totally earned it at this point, imo.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1618 on: May 27, 2018, 04:45:43 AM »

Fantastic live rendition of what is arguably the band's best song to date! :hefdaddy

Agreed... and as great as this is, I'm now even more bummed there isn't a DVD/Blu-Ray for this.   :-[
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1619 on: May 27, 2018, 06:08:32 AM »

Agreed... and as great as this is, I'm now even more bummed there isn't a DVD/Blu-Ray for this.   :-[

I completely agree. I'm honestly stunned we even got a music video for this release.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #1620 on: May 28, 2018, 09:03:38 PM »
Hello new favorite song for a while. I Hadn't heard Theories of flight yet because I was working my way through their discography in order. I loved this song so much that I listened to the full album earlier today.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1621 on: May 28, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »
The Light and Shade of Things is an amazing song. :) 

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1622 on: May 29, 2018, 08:17:15 AM »
I really think it may be in the running for my favorite Fates Warning song period.  Top three at least, but just might get the top spot.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1623 on: May 29, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »
Add me to the choir wishing we had a Blu-ray edition of the video. I get why we don't, but man. I am refusing to listen to any more samples. I can't wait for it to arrive. Got the LPs and the CD Media Book.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1624 on: May 29, 2018, 09:57:34 AM »
I really think it may be in the running for my favorite Fates Warning song period.  Top three at least, but just might get the top spot.

Yep, I feel pretty safe in giving that title to The Light & Shade of Things. Off the top of my head, the other possible contenders for the spot might be Guardian, Nothing Left to Say and The Eleventh Hour? I'd have to mull it over in terms of the exact rankings, but TLaSoT is pretty secured in the top spot, I think.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1625 on: May 30, 2018, 07:50:09 AM »

Yep, I feel pretty safe in giving that title to The Light & Shade of Things. Off the top of my head, the other possible contenders for the spot might be Guardian, Nothing Left to Say and The Eleventh Hour? I'd have to mull it over in terms of the exact rankings, but TLaSoT is pretty secured in the top spot, I think.

My top three for sure would be The Light and Shade of Things, Through Different Eyes and Point of View.  But I would likely give the top spot to TLASOT.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1626 on: May 30, 2018, 08:43:35 AM »

My top three for sure would be The Light and Shade of Things, Through Different Eyes and Point of View.  But I would likely give the top spot to TLASOT.

Those are definitely two insanely awesome songs from the band. I especially love Through Different Eyes myself. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1627 on: May 30, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »
I love Light and Shade, but its not my favorite on the record. That would be Seven Stars.

As for all-time songs, it is probably in the top-15, but nowhere near the top-five. I'd have to think about those top-5, but it is pretty easy for me to say Light and Shade isn't in consideration.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1628 on: May 30, 2018, 05:32:53 PM »
I love Light and Shade, but its not my favorite on the record. That would be Seven Stars.

As for all-time songs, it is probably in the top-15, but nowhere near the top-five. I'd have to think about those top-5, but it is pretty easy for me to say Light and Shade isn't in consideration.

I don't think I'd have anything from ToF in a top 20, much less a top 5.  A top 5 would be REALLY hard to pick.  Off the top of my head, the following songs would be in the running:

Traveler in Time
The Apparition
Fata Morgana
Giant's Lore
Quietus
Acquiescence
Part of the Machine
Static Acts
At Fates Hands
Nothing Left to Say
The Eleventh Hour
Don't Follow Me
Shelter Me
Face the Fear
Monument
APSOG X/XI
APSOG XII
I Am
Into the Black
And Yet It Moves
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online Tomislav95

« Reply #1629 on: May 31, 2018, 05:03:00 AM »
The Light and Shade of Things is really special song, probably my favorite of theirs at the moment. 9 minutes song that feels like 5 minutes long at the most. Too bad I couldn't see them on last tour, they weren't in my country and couldn't travel abroad then.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: May 31, 2018, 06:59:40 AM »
It's not listed on Wikipedia but I'm sure it's been talked about in here. Who's been filling in for Frank Aresti since he went off to do whatever he's doing now? 

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1631 on: May 31, 2018, 08:02:17 AM »
It's not listed on Wikipedia but I'm sure it's been talked about in here. Who's been filling in for Frank Aresti since he went off to do whatever he's doing now? 

Mike Abdow
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1632 on: May 31, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »

Michael Abdow. He's awesome.

https://www.michaelabdow.com/

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1633 on: May 31, 2018, 08:03:18 AM »
Thanks! The name just wasn't coming to me.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1634 on: May 31, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
Yep, like I said the other day, I really hope Michael Abdow is fully ushered into Fates Warning as a permanent member sometime in the near future. The guy's totally earned it by this point and is one heck of a talent. :metal
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: May 31, 2018, 08:27:03 AM »
Yep, like I said the other day, I really hope Michael Abdow is fully ushered into Fates Warning as a permanent member sometime in the near future. The guy's totally earned it by this point and is one heck of a talent. :metal

He seems solid... though I'd like to see Aresti back in the fold which probably won't happen.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1636 on: May 31, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »

He seems solid... though I'd like to see Aresti back in the fold which probably won't happen.

I love Aresti, but he's probably only going to ever come back every now and then with a guest solo. Aside from already arguably being the most technically proficient guitarist Fates has ever had, Abdow has proven his dedication to the band for the past five years. Just reminds me of the situation of how Joey Vera slowly transitioned from being a guest musician doing the bass parts on Fates Warning albums to being the band's official bassist over the course of the 90's and 00's.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1637 on: May 31, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
I'm not close to the band or "in the know," but Aresti now lives a few thousand miles away from the rest of the band.  And my understanding is that he is focusing more on his "private life" than on being a musician.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1638 on: May 31, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
I'm not close to the band or "in the know," but Aresti now lives a few thousand miles away from the rest of the band.  And my understanding is that he is focusing more on his "private life" than on being a musician.

I believe he is an executive or manager for D'Dario/Dunlop.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1639 on: May 31, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »

Frank lives in the San Francisco area, Ray lives in Phoenix, and Jim at least started in Connecticut.  Don't know if he lives there still, and I have no idea where Joey and Bobby live.  That said, I don't think where any of them live is of any particular importance.  Jim is the primary (and often only) songwriter, and he has said more than once that he basically puts together completed songs and sends files (previously tapes) to everyone else to give input and learn.

I personally would LOVE to have Frank back full time.  I generally preferred his songs and solos to Jim's.  Although he was only minimally involved in songwriting for DiaDL, I suspect his involvement -- coupled with Ray's greater involvement in writing -- was one of the main reasons why DiaDL was so good.  As "goo-goo" mentioned, however, he has a full time job (artist relations with Dunlop, and previously with D'Addario), so any significant future involvement with FW is, sadly, unlikely at best.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: May 31, 2018, 11:36:23 AM »

Frank lives in the San Francisco area, Ray lives in Phoenix, and Jim at least started in Connecticut.  Don't know if he lives there still, and I have no idea where Joey and Bobby live.  That said, I don't think where any of them live is of any particular importance.  Jim is the primary (and often only) songwriter, and he has said more than once that he basically puts together completed songs and sends files (previously tapes) to everyone else to give input and learn.

I personally would LOVE to have Frank back full time.  I generally preferred his songs and solos to Jim's.  Although he was only minimally involved in songwriting for DiaDL, I suspect his involvement -- coupled with Ray's greater involvement in writing -- was one of the main reasons why DiaDL was so good.  As "goo-goo" mentioned, however, he has a full time job (artist relations with Dunlop, and previously with D'Addario), so any significant future involvement with FW is, sadly, unlikely at best.

I thought Ray lived in San Antonio? Maybe that was a while ago.

*Edit: Wiki says that's his "origin" however they define that.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1641 on: May 31, 2018, 11:38:50 AM »

I thought Ray lived in San Antonio? Maybe that was a while ago.

Could be.  He was in Phoenix for a long time, but it may be that he moved from PHX to SAT.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1642 on: May 31, 2018, 12:41:10 PM »
Ray - Lives in Spain (moved there last year)
Joey - Lives in California
Jim - Live in Connecticut
Bobby - Lives in San Antonio
Michael - Somewhere in Massachusetts I believe

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1643 on: May 31, 2018, 12:56:51 PM »
Speaking of Mike, I recently learned he was previously in the progressive metal band Last Chance to Reason, which I didn't realize.  I believe he was with them from 2011-2013.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1644 on: May 31, 2018, 01:53:34 PM »
Ray - Lives in Spain (moved there last year)

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing that.  Good catch.