Author Topic: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Elsydeon hasn’t been around  (Read 310951 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: The Official Fates Warning thread v. Theories of Flight
« Reply #1330 on: March 24, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
I can't get into John Arch's singing at all and I'd much rather have a dvd from the current Theories tour with Alder-era songs, but it's cool that they documented both of the ATG shows for the old-school fans.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1331 on: March 24, 2017, 03:08:35 PM »
That would be cool if they released another live album this year from the current line up as well.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1332 on: March 24, 2017, 03:18:30 PM »
That would be cool if they released another live album this year from the current line up as well.

Agreed. It has been way too long since Live in Athens, and even then, that was DVD only. No audio.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: March 24, 2017, 03:23:44 PM »
Still Life is the only live album I have from Fates, and that's 20 years old.  I don't think they have another official live cd, so I would say they are due for one.  Still Life is great though.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1334 on: March 25, 2017, 10:38:40 AM »
Still Life is fantastic. Mark Zonder! And The Ivory Gates of Dreams! They played the final part during the last tour in europe.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1335 on: April 07, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
great new interview with John Arch from That Drummer Guy (JRundquist on the dtf), including a little mention about him working on new music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIxd-uS_iA8&t=0s

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1336 on: April 08, 2017, 06:13:34 AM »
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1337 on: April 13, 2017, 08:28:50 AM »
New instrumental rock project announced by Matheos, featuring Kevin Moore on two songs.  It's named Tuesday the Sky.  Ironically, Moore has a solo song from the mid 1990s named "Wednesday the Sky." :)

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-jim-matheos-to-release-debut-album-from-instrumental-rock-project-tuesday-the-sky/

FATES WARNING's JIM MATHEOS To Release Debut Album From Instrumental Rock Project TUESDAY THE SKY

Jim Matheos, founding guitarist of legendary U.S. progressive metallers FATES WARNING, has announced the release of the debut album from his new ambient instrumental rock project TUESDAY THE SKY. Due on June 30 via InsideOut Music, "Drift" sees Matheos expanding the boundaries of his sound ever further.

"Drift" came together in the downtime between FATES WARNING finishing "Theories Of Flight" and the beginning of the touring cycle, enabling Matheos to explore a type of atmospheric and instrumental music you might not expect of him. He comments: "With this kind of music, it's a lot about creating a mood and letting that sink in and develop over long periods of time, as opposed to the more frenetic format of most prog music." Taking cues from artists like Brian Eno, BOARDS OF CANADA, SIGUR ROS and EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY, he explores expansive textures and ambient electronica, as well as some of the most colossal riffs he has ever produced.

The album also features the talents of GOD IS AN ASTRONAUT's drummer Lloyd Hanney, who provides a rhythmic backbone that is at once punchy, precise and restrained when necessary. Other guests include long-time OSI collaborator and former DREAM THEATER member Kevin Moore who plays keys on two songs as well as Anna-Lynne Williams (TRESPASSERS WILLIAM, LOTTE KESTNER), who provides ethereal vocals (of the non-verbal kind) on two other songs.

What the future of this project holds and whether it will be taken out on the road is yet to be seen. Matheos comments: "It would be a challenge to bring this project but it is an interesting idea and one I would at least consider if there seems to be enough interest." What is sure, though, is that TUESDAY THE SKY's debut is a bold, brave, creative and ultimately successful album from one of rock's most underrated of musicians.

"Drift" track listing:

01. Today The Sky (04:15)
02. Kite (05:10)
03. Vortex Street (04:46)
04. It Comes In Waves (04:30)
05. Dyatlov Pass (07:29)
06. Far And Away (04:19)
07. Westerlies (05:27)
08. Roger, Gordo (04:06)
09. The Rowing Endeth (04:31)
10. Drift (04:09)

The album will be released as special edition CD, black LP + CD and digital download.

Read more at https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fates-warning-jim-matheos-to-release-debut-album-from-instrumental-rock-project-tuesday-the-sky/#lZ9yJmZg4THmHasA.99
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1338 on: April 13, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »
^^^ I am looking forward to it

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1339 on: April 13, 2017, 09:46:43 AM »
The artwork is likely done by the guy who did Kevin's Shine album artwork.  I feel like it's a similar style -- and both include a giant sun.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 10:35:20 AM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1340 on: April 30, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
Did I miss this on another page somewhere or did nobody even post it?

Full Blu-ray show, September 5th, 2014 in Rio.

https://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=589579

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1341 on: May 04, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »
Got my bluray of the Awaken the Guardian anniversary shows last night.  Watched some of the PPUSA show, not all though.  Good stuff!  Made me realize this is probably the best quality footage of the FW guys, ever.  I only got through the first four songs, but it particularly stood out to me how Jim was really into it during "Guardian."  He was grooving and posing more than I have ever noticed of him before, flicking his hair around, and just seemed to be basking in the moment.  John Arch sounded on point too.  Can't wait to watch the rest!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:36:38 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: May 04, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
I finished watching and listening to the set yesterday. The band sounded very tight; great show!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1343 on: May 04, 2017, 09:02:24 AM »
I haven't watched the video yet, but I prefer the audio quality on the PPUSA set than the Keep It True. Fucking amazing to relive this album. I hope they do the same for Night on Broken and Spectre.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: May 04, 2017, 10:26:28 AM »
My pre-order of the deluxe book doesn't arrive until next week (of course), so I've yet to see a blasted thing. So ridiculous.  :tdwn
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1345 on: May 05, 2017, 03:59:46 PM »
Just got my preorder of the deluxe book.  Kind of lame that it took a full week after it was released. 

Also weird that the DVD disc says "Disc 3", then there is the bluray that doesnt specify which disc, and the CDs labeled discs 1-4.  Very weird that the DVD disc is just randomly labeled disc 3. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1346 on: May 05, 2017, 08:07:17 PM »
Loving the new live album. Was watching the DVD tonight and it's great to have a modern well produced version of this great album. Arch is still a chore though. But he is still amazing too.

I'm very impressed with Steve Zimmerman. What has he been doing all these years? He has good chops.

And I wasn't aware that Steve Buscemi could play bass.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1347 on: May 08, 2017, 02:07:11 PM »
My deluxe book arrived Friday night. I was really impressed. I felt the set from ProgPower was mixed better, but both sets from KIT and PP were outstanding. Really enjoyed it.

Just got my preorder of the deluxe book.  Kind of lame that it took a full week after it was released. 

Also weird that the DVD disc says "Disc 3", then there is the bluray that doesnt specify which disc, and the CDs labeled discs 1-4.  Very weird that the DVD disc is just randomly labeled disc 3. 

I flipped out at that too at first. But despite the error, I thought the package was worth what we spent on it. Six discs, great book and pictures, etc. The individual pictures and certificate of authenticity was cool too.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1348 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:11 PM »
Fates Warning tomorrow night in Wantagh, NY!  So pumped!  Anyone going from here?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1349 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:30 PM »
No, not going (not feasible from the Left Coast).  But would love to hear your report. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #1350 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:55 PM »
Fates Warning tomorrow night in Wantagh, NY!  So pumped!  Anyone going from here?

Not fair!  The northeastern part of the country gets to see all of the cool bands.

Have a great time!

I would love to hear 'The Light and Shade of Things' in concert 
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1351 on: June 13, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
I'll catch them in Toronto!!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1352 on: June 13, 2017, 05:19:37 PM »
I'm going to attempt to make it to the show in Cleveland on the 22nd. It's the day before my birthday, so I really want to make the show. However, a woman that I've been dating off and on the last few years is having surgery the day before, and might need my assistance for a few days.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1353 on: June 14, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »

Not fair!  The northeastern part of the country gets to see all of the cool bands.

Have a great time!

I would love to hear 'The Light and Shade of Things' in concert

That would be fantastic if they played that tune!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: June 14, 2017, 08:47:39 AM »
In just a matter of hours, I'll be doing one of my favorite things: singing the "oooooooo"s in "The Eleventh Hour" at the top of my lungs at a Fates Warning concert. \m/

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1355 on: June 14, 2017, 10:34:32 AM »
In just a matter of hours, I'll be doing one of my favorite things: singing the "oooooooo"s in "The Eleventh Hour" at the top of my lungs at a Fates Warning concert. \m/

Jealous. No dates at all near me, within six hours drive time. I was all set to road trip, but that's the farthest. And I think the closest they are coming is double that. It's weird they aren't doing any shows in California at all.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1356 on: June 14, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
Just did the meet and greet on Long Island. Ray sounded like ticket sales could be better, so we'll see what the crowd is like. I asked jim if there are plans to eventually play 25th anniversary APSOG shows with Zonder and Kevin (it's one of my fav albums so I had to plant the seed) and he joked they might be retired by then, which broke my heart, lol. These guys are so nice. Also, I was the only fan for the meet and greet. How is that possible? Although, I should note there were supposed to be two other meet-and-greeters, but something came up last minute for them.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:25:49 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1357 on: June 14, 2017, 05:44:42 PM »
Just did the meet and greet on Long Island. Ray sounded like the tickets sales have not been good so far for the tour, unfortunately. But they're all pumped to play the new material. I asked jim if there are any plans to play 25th anniversary shows with Kevin Moore for APSOG in five years (it's one of my fav albums so I had to ask) and he joked "we might be retired by then." That broke my heart, lol. These guys are so nice. Love this band. Also, I was the only fan for the meet and greet. How is that possible?

Oh god, that's heartbreaking! :omg:

I've been itching to see the band live, but I've yet to hear about any shows anywhere near North Carolina. Alas I don't have the kind of money to do trips to other states for a concert at this point in my life.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1358 on: June 14, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »
The only fan? That's cool but also quite unfortunate too lol. How long did you hang out with the band and is there any mention of a live album?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1359 on: June 14, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »
It was cool but intimidating being the only one. All of a sudden all five band members walk up to you at once and you're not sure who to talk to first, lol.

And, I didn't ask about a live album. But good question! I was with them for about 10 minutes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 08:19:12 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1360 on: June 14, 2017, 06:57:14 PM »
I did a "free" meet and greet once when they played in Săo Paulo. Mike Portnoy replaced Bobby Jarzombeck because he had a gig with Sebastian Bach (on the same city!!). I had a connection in the Brazilian DT Fan Club who told me the hotel the band stayed in, and I booked a room in the same place. I needed a place anyway, coming from Rio, so it worked out perfectly. The band was really nice, especially MP and Joey Vera.

They opened the show for Queensryche - that was the show where Geoff Tate spit in Scott Rockenfield, which led to his departure from the band. Geoff was actually quite nice to me too, as well as the other Queensryche members. But in hindsight, you could tell something was not right - Geoff was a few steps away from the other members all the time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1361 on: June 14, 2017, 07:04:39 PM »
If their ticket sales are so poor, they should just refund the M&Gs and go out and mingle.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1362 on: June 14, 2017, 07:47:46 PM »
I wonder if they waited too long after releasing the album to tour in support of it? Personally, I think that it's one of their finest albums, and I haven't noticed anyone mentioning that they didn't like the record. So the quality of the record probably isn't the reason for the lack of support.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1363 on: June 15, 2017, 02:27:47 AM »
Is Frank Aresti touring with them this time?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1364 on: June 15, 2017, 07:58:51 AM »
Is Frank Aresti touring with them this time?

No. It's Mike Abdow (who does a phenomenal job).

Yeah, unfortunately, it is hard out there in the U.S. right now for a band like Fates to tour across the country. The guarantees from promoters are smaller, and there aren't as many. That's why certain areas are being completely left off the itinerary (which sucks ass).

The Fates guys are an awesome bunch of people. Glad you were able to talk to them Mike. How was the gig itself?