Author Topic: Do you think Jordan plays too many notes?  (Read 14140 times)

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Do you think Jordan plays too many notes?
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 03:23:45 PM »
Yeah he overplays like crazy but it only sounds really bad when he does synth stuff. His lead solos on the last few albums have been unbearable.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 03:32:58 PM »
I think one of the main problems with his lead solos is that they are just solo by numbers. You could seriously replace them with each other, and assuming they are in the same key, and same length, it wouldn't change anything about the song and no one would notice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
I think there's good fast, and there's bad fast. Good fast creates a secondary texture over the constituent notes, i.e. sort of a tapestry that you can still follow. Jordan's solos often don't have that, and they become somewhat indiscernible, especially when he uses effect-laden sounds.

rumborak

Much better put. I mean, personally I rarely find his solos uninteresting, but it does happen sometimes (ANTR springs to mind) but it's simply the fact that it's not an interesting solo. Some of his fast ones I adore, some of his slow ones I'm less keen on, and vice versa.

It's just weird to me. I mean, there's a reason why church tunes don't have fast runs; there's just so much effect (reverb) on the sound that it makes the notes blur together. And every musician knows that, the faster the lines you play, the cleaner the sound has to be. My problem with JR's fast solos is that I can't even remotely tell what he's doing due to the heavy effects on it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »
Iīve always said that his solos are generally very good, and people seem to generalize too much when they call his soloing style bad. People tend to imply that he only plays fast runs of notes. Most solos in SFAM are killer, and SDOIT features stellar work, too. The problem started with TOT. TDS is not very good, although I think there is a melodic pattern that is discernible in the song, is not just a bunch of notes and effects. The same happens with ES, but HTF probably fits the description of too fast. The solos on SoC and ITNOG are at least decent.

Octavarium was a step in the right direction, IMO. True, TROAE features the blueprint for his solos in subsequent albums, but it feels still fresh, and again you can tell what heīs playing. The solo on SS is good and the one in Octavarium is perfect, itīs not praised enough IMO. The other two albums do not feature his best work, but again, his work in those albums in very varied and the fast solos (Constant Motion, AROP, maybe TSF although I love that one) are not representative of his work. People always say that he cannot restrain his playing, but the wonderful atmosphere he brought to ANTR and Repentance proves the opposite, but again, people seem to ignore that he can play that kind of music very well, too. Those are perfect examples of JR not playing too many notes at all.

I geniunely believe that he gets bored playing simple things in the piano, and thatīs why he adds all those flourishes. He plays that way for his own enjoyment. If you donīt like it, well, thatīs your problem, I think it is definitely part of his style.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »

It's just weird to me. I mean, there's a reason why church tunes don't have fast runs; there's just so much effect (reverb) on the sound that it makes the notes blur together. And every musician knows that, the faster the lines you play, the cleaner the sound has to be. My problem with JR's fast solos is that I can't even remotely tell what he's doing due to the heavy effects on it.

rumborak

I think a large part of the problem is the production. For example, I think that, in general, BC&SL sounds really good and his atmospheric keyboard work is perfectly mixed in, but his solos are just way too low in the mix. Particularly considering, as you say, the level of effects he puts on the sounds. I think they'd sound fine if they were mixed in properly, but the combination just doesn't work very well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrĸche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 04:57:29 PM »
In fact, to me the whole concept of "too many notes" or "too few notes" is nonsense. Whether something is good or bad, memorable or unmemorable, seems to have no correlation whatsoever to how fast it is or how many notes there are.

Completely disagree. Songs need to breathe. You CAN overplay. People say that and you hear it all the time.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrĸche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 05:05:27 PM »
In fact, to me the whole concept of "too many notes" or "too few notes" is nonsense. Whether something is good or bad, memorable or unmemorable, seems to have no correlation whatsoever to how fast it is or how many notes there are.

Completely disagree. Songs need to breathe. You CAN overplay. People say that and you hear it all the time.

I know that people say it, just to me it makes no sense whatsoever.

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 05:11:21 PM »
I'd like them to change it up once in a while and like Sam says, let it breath.  Not all songs need a thousand notes all the time.  Now sometimes, Jordans patches sound weird in the fast soloing sections.  i think if he picked a better sound for his solo's people would complain less.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 05:36:38 PM »
I think there's good fast, and there's bad fast. Good fast creates a secondary texture over the constituent notes, i.e. sort of a tapestry that you can still follow. Jordan's solos often don't have that, and they become somewhat indiscernible, especially when he uses effect-laden sounds.

rumborak

Much better put. I mean, personally I rarely find his solos uninteresting, but it does happen sometimes (ANTR springs to mind) but it's simply the fact that it's not an interesting solo. Some of his fast ones I adore, some of his slow ones I'm less keen on, and vice versa.

rumborak

This is my take as well. There is no doubt the guy has the skill and timing to play tastefully over a metal riff, it would just sound a whole lot better if it wasn't so over-the-top and ear-piercing.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 06:22:31 PM »
As a matter of fact, Jordan next uploaded video about the continuum is named "Lots of Notes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASDVxRLIEps
 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2010, 06:23:54 PM »
I think the big thing is that Jordan isn't at his best when soloing over metal riffage.  That's when most of his recent "fast playing" has been.  He is much more creative when soloing over more melodic or progressive passages, IMHO.

I agree with this, big time.  Rudess admittedly did not come from a metal background, so soloing over metal stuff is not one of his strengths (and he has a lot of strengths, for those who think I am being too critical here).  But soloing over melodic or prog stuff is usually not a problem for him.  The solos in "Blind Faith" are great; the solo in the middle of "Octavarium" (the Styx-ish one) is terrific; etc.  Now turn it around and look at his solos in the heavier or harder rocking songs and the good ones are a lot harder to find.  His solo in the middle of "Home" is still his best one with DT, though, IMO.

And say what you want about Jordan Rudess, but he has never come across to me as anything but a super cool guy. :tup :tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
As a matter of fact, Jordan next uploaded video about the continuum is named "Lots of Notes"

That is a cool technology. He admits in the video to basically be just goofing around with what he's playing, however, tell me if it would REALLY surprise you to see that exact segment as a solo on a new song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2010, 12:29:03 AM »
I think the big thing is that Jordan isn't at his best when soloing over metal riffage.  That's when most of his recent "fast playing" has been.  He is much more creative when soloing over more melodic or progressive passages, IMHO.

I agree with this, big time.  Rudess admittedly did not come from a metal background, so soloing over metal stuff is not one of his strengths (and he has a lot of strengths, for those who think I am being too critical here).  But soloing over melodic or prog stuff is usually not a problem for him.  The solos in "Blind Faith" are great; the solo in the middle of "Octavarium" (the Styx-ish one) is terrific; etc.  Now turn it around and look at his solos in the heavier or harder rocking songs and the good ones are a lot harder to find.  His solo in the middle of "Home" is still his best one with DT, though, IMO.

Yeah, I think I might have actually been the first to point out (back when BCSL came out) that in the last couple of albums, he only seems to get solos over "metal" bits, while JP gets all the melodic solo sections (TBOT, TSF), which surely contributes to why people are getting bored with his solos. I mean it's hard enough to do an intersting guitar solo over standard metal riffs, but for keyboard it's even harder as far as I'm concerned, because it's a less natural combination.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2010, 06:49:32 AM »

That video was super awesome to watch.

I feel like that technology has a lot of potential. The pitch bending properties of the Continuum are far more interesting than the standard wheel.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2010, 06:53:09 AM »
I think the big thing is that Jordan isn't at his best when soloing over metal riffage.  That's when most of his recent "fast playing" has been.  He is much more creative when soloing over more melodic or progressive passages, IMHO.

I agree with this, big time.  Rudess admittedly did not come from a metal background, so soloing over metal stuff is not one of his strengths (and he has a lot of strengths, for those who think I am being too critical here).  But soloing over melodic or prog stuff is usually not a problem for him.  The solos in "Blind Faith" are great; the solo in the middle of "Octavarium" (the Styx-ish one) is terrific; etc.  Now turn it around and look at his solos in the heavier or harder rocking songs and the good ones are a lot harder to find.  His solo in the middle of "Home" is still his best one with DT, though, IMO.

And say what you want about Jordan Rudess, but he has never come across to me as anything but a super cool guy. :tup :tup

So I have to ask myself, since this is so obvious to we the listeners, why don't MP & JP realize it?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2010, 07:30:21 AM »

So I have to ask myself, since this is so obvious to we the listeners, why don't MP & JP realize it?

I think it would be very difficult to approach your own music with any kind of objectivity.  I'd throw this issue in the same pile as "MP rapping/growling", and further illustrates what I think to be the need for an outside producer.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2010, 07:44:38 AM »
I'd like them to change it up once in a while and like Sam says, let it breath.  Not all songs need a thousand notes all the time.  
This is the kind of thinking that is completely incorrect. Even though it is an exaggeration to ilustrate a point, it causes people to criticize much more than it is necessary, IMO; and to make a characterization of Jordanīs playing that is not accurate at all. The resulting criticism of his style is completely unbalanced, and lead fans to think that people like to criticize JR just for the sake of it instead of making a balanced assessment of his playing.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:51:08 AM by reneranucci »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 08:01:08 AM »
I'd like them to change it up once in a while and like Sam says, let it breath.  Not all songs need a thousand notes all the time.  
This is the kind of thinking that is completely incorrect. Even though it is an exaggeration to ilustrate a point, it causes people to criticize much more than it is necessary, IMO; and to make a characterization of Jordanīs playing that is not accurate at all. The resulting criticism of his style is completely unbalanced, and lead fans to think that people like to criticize JR just for the sake of it instead of making a balanced assessment of his playing.

Wrong, A thousand notes don't make it right.  It's what you do with the notes that matters.  I like most of his playing but his solo's. Sometimes one note says it all and sometimes a thousand does.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 08:07:17 AM »
I think Jordan can overplay sometimes but I also think it's unfair to lump the blame entirely on him. I think a lot of our complaints about his soloing would go away if they just turn down the metal dial a little bit.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010, 08:09:14 AM »

I feel like that technology has a lot of potential. The pitch bending properties of the Continuum are far more interesting than the standard wheel.
That was pretty frickin' cool.  Obviously this was just a quality-control exercise, but I agree, the potential for this is very interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 08:42:11 AM »

Hogwash.  Just because you might not agree with peoples' assessment of JR's playing doesn't mean it is unbalanced or unfair.  The only consistent criticism I see of JR is regarding the quality of his solos.  Just about every other aspect of his playing is rarely criticized, so I think most of us are more than fair.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 09:12:55 AM »
I have no problem with criticism, and I actually agree with it in many cases. Does JR sometimes overplays and makes bad solos? Sure.

But what I was talking about is that most of the time it seems that people characterize Jordan just as a shredder, which is not true. And I was highlighting the comment that said "all songs with a thousand notes all the time" as a illustration of that characterization, which seems unfair IMO. I understand it was an exaggeration but it still represents the way of thinking I called unbalanced. JR actually brings breathing space and atmosphere to many songs, TMOLS, Reptentance and ANTR being recent examples. He does overplay sometimes, too, even in those same songs. I think that opinions that balance those two aspects of his playing would be more accurate.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 09:23:29 AM »

Wrong, A thousand notes don't make it right.  It's what you do with the notes that matters.  I like most of his playing but his solo's. Sometimes one note says it all and sometimes a thousand does.
Well I agree with what you say, I didnīt catch that you were referring only to his solos in your original post.

And it certainly would be interesting to hear something new from him, as you said. What solos in pre-JR DT were more restrained and melodic? Maybe ToT, OAMOT but I canīt think of many others. TTT was excellent but not exactly restrained, as the solos in Metropolis, Ytsejam and Afterlife. Hmmmm... interestingly, I think DT didnīt have that many solos in their early days as they do now. They had short sections were keyboards were predominant but did not go overboard, like in The Mirror and UAGM. Maybe thatīs what weīre missing.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 10:23:12 AM »
A CONVERSATION WITH JEFFREY DAHMER

Police officer:  Um, Jeffrey, you murdered 17 people.  That's a lot of people. 

Jeffrey Dahmer:  You obviously don't know who I am or what I do. 

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »

Wrong, A thousand notes don't make it right.  It's what you do with the notes that matters.  I like most of his playing but his solo's. Sometimes one note says it all and sometimes a thousand does.
Well I agree with what you say, I didnīt catch that you were referring only to his solos in your original post. !
And it certainly would be interesting to hear something new from him, as you said. What solos in pre-JR DT were more restrained and melodic? Maybe ToT, OAMOT but I canīt think of many others. TTT was excellent but not exactly restrained, as the solos in Metropolis, Ytsejam and Afterlife. Hmmmm... interestingly, I think DT didnīt have that many solos in their early days as they do now. They had short sections were keyboards were predominant but did not go overboard, like in The Mirror and UAGM. Maybe thatīs what weīre missing.

I do agree!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:10:38 PM by kingshmegland »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

That was pretty frickin' cool.  Obviously this was just a quality-control exercise, but I agree, the potential for this is very interesting.

Indeed, a lot of potential in the technology. But frankly, given how narrow his testing is in this video, and how close it is to his soloing on DT records, I fear this will just enforce it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »
I think it's also the taste of the listener.

I have enjoyed less of Jordan's playing on every album since he joined. I've enjoyed DT's CD's less and less since he joined. BC & SL is a real "they won me back album" for me.

What I enjoyed the most about Kevin's playing was his ability to be heard and not heard at the same time. I can't think of another prog keyboardist who's done it so masterfully. I really enjoyed Derek because I absolutely love his tone and his "slow sloppy playing".

Jordan seems to be an extremely talented "add on" part to this band.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »
This thread needs some blobvandam :)

Anyway, JR's statement of 'you obviously don't know who I am or what I do' seems to suggest that what JR is 'doing' is fulfulling a very particular role in a band that requires him to play in a very particular style.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
LOL...your blob comment is enormously valid....I wouldn't be allowed to run amok with all my craziness if he was here.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 12:54:27 PM »
But what I was talking about is that most of the time it seems that people characterize Jordan just as a shredder, which is not true. And I was highlighting the comment that said "all songs with a thousand notes all the time" as a illustration of that characterization, which seems unfair IMO. I understand it was an exaggeration but it still represents the way of thinking I called unbalanced. JR actually brings breathing space and atmosphere to many songs, TMOLS, Reptentance and ANTR being recent examples. He does overplay sometimes, too, even in those same songs. I think that opinions that balance those two aspects of his playing would be more accurate.

Okay, I get what you are saying, and those are all fair points.  But I think most tend to exaggerate in such discussions, whether it be saying something positive or negative, so you have to take that into consideration, too. :)

Meh.  Without trying to start something, I will just say that, except for the brief bit of nonsense by BRGM, this thread has been very civilized, and a good discussion is taking place, and I doubt that would be the case if BVD were still here.  No one here is getting too over the top with their defense or criticism.  That is a good thing. :)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »

That's the last thing it needs.

I agree with Kev, the discussion here has been very civilised and exemplary.
As for me, yes, Jordan overdoes things sometimes in my opinion (and when he misses, he tends to miss pretty badly). I'm not very fond of his piano improvisations, because they tend to get stuffed with notes after about 30 seconds. What I do admire, though, is his work on SFAM (well, most of it anyway) and SDOIT. Also, his synth lead in TCOT at 2:36 is one of my favourite JR moments ever.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »

Anyway, JR's statement of 'you obviously don't know who I am or what I do' seems to suggest that what JR is 'doing' is fulfulling a very particular role in a band that requires him to play in a very particular style.
Good point.

I remember watching the LTE DVD and listening to the LTE CDs after a long time. I said to myself: I see clearly why MP and JP thought that JR was the guy for Dream Theater. There was something magical about the chemistry they had writing music together, and the potential for that chemistry to continue in DT was amazing. IMO the decision to replace Derek was fully justified if the experience of making the LTE albums was the main reason behind it. The opportunity of having JR join the band seemed to good to ignore.

And I think part of that great chemistry shows in SFAM and to a lesser degree in SDOIT. TOT had a very definite and narrow direction that conditioned the music. Something happened since Octavarium, and some of the elements that made the first JR/DT collaborations so great started to fade away. On the other hand I think that is a natural thing, you cannot expect to be super innovative after writing 4 or 5 albums with the same guys. If I can say this, probably the 5th album with KM wouldnīt have been super groundbreaking, either.

Maybe thatīs why people insist in that it would be a good thing for the band members to take a long break, or to challenge themselves to try something completely different. They can recover some of the freshness and excitement they had at the beginning. I donīt know, they can try to write a rock album with almost no metal at all, or include 2 piano based songs in the next album, and see what happens (but thatīs discussion for another thread I think).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »
^Lot of truth there^

That's why I'm kind of glad that they are taking this year off.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 03:58:38 PM »
I like they style he went with on Octavarium.  Mabye it's the old prog fart talking but, he picked the right sounds and played a lot more chords than a flurry of single notes shadowing another instrument.  I like a mix of both and OV8 seemed to have a good mix of both.

Offline genome

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »
They both have points. Some people find his ostentatiousness too much, but that's just who Jordan is.

I love a lot of his lead work and don't mind a bit of wankery, but Black Clouds and Silver Linings had some awful keyboard solos on it.