Author Topic: Journey recording with Shirley  (Read 3177 times)

Offline yorost

• Inactive
Journey recording with Shirley
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:13:17 AM »
Apparently they've laid seven tracks with no ballads thus far, and the album is themed.

This is line with what Schon has stated, that he wanted to do a more artful album this time around instead of trying to please people with more hit type material.  I'm sure that pisses Cain off since he'll probably be taking a lesser role on writing material.  That's a good thing if true, Cain has always been the primary touch of pop in Journey viva Rolie!

https://www.cavemanproductions.com/cavediary.htm

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Journey recording with Shirley
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »
WANT
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:58:13 PM »
Shirley? As in Kevin Shirley?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Or Shirley McLane! They'll call it "Psychic Out The Jams"!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:23:21 PM »
Shirley? As in Kevin Shirley?

No, Shirley Temple. Their first single will be a cover of "Animal Crackers in my Soup".
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 02:55:48 PM »
Even though the only full Journey album I own is Escape, this sounds pretty cool.  Might have to start getting keen on that new frontman or hear a new single.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 04:49:07 AM »
I was quite unimpressed with Revolution.  Arnel doesn't really do it for me, and his remakes were laughable IMO.  Don't know why they talk this guy up when they had such talents as Jeff Scott Soto and Steve Augeri.  Steve did killer renditions of Perry songs, if anything they should get him back for another album.  Generations was excellent.

Nevertheless, I will check the new album out.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 08:10:40 AM »
I was quite unimpressed with Revolution.  Arnel doesn't really do it for me, and his remakes were laughable IMO.  Don't know why they talk this guy up when they had such talents as Jeff Scott Soto and Steve Augeri.  Steve did killer renditions of Perry songs, if anything they should get him back for another album.  Generations was excellent.

All of that.  But I will say, there were problems with both of the above vocalists.  Augeri, from what I understand, literally lost his ability to sing (medical reasons).  They just couldn't keep him if they wanted to tour.  And Soto is an incredible front man who really could have taken their sound up a notch.  But he is a baritone and couldn't sing an entire set of classic material.  I saw him on tour with them, and he had tons of energy, but just couldn't deliver the notes.  And that was with a slightly shorter set (opening for Def Leppard) and with Deen giving him a couple of breaks in the set by singing a few songs.  He definitely has the range to go high, but he can't stay in Perry's range for an entire set of material.  As talented as he is, there's just no way it could have worked.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 10:23:53 AM »
In an interesting twist of fate, Styx and REO Speedwagon have just announced that they are recording with Lavern.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:29:55 AM »
Shirley, you can't be serious.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »
Just. Not. Interested.

Arnel is NOT the right fit. I realize the masses have spoken and most like this guy, but I did NOT like Revelation at all and from what I heard of him live, he's nowhere near the singer of Perry, Augeri, or Soto, even if his range is Perry-like.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 05:19:12 AM »

All of that.  But I will say, there were problems with both of the above vocalists.  Augeri, from what I understand, literally lost his ability to sing (medical reasons).  They just couldn't keep him if they wanted to tour.  And Soto is an incredible front man who really could have taken their sound up a notch.  But he is a baritone and couldn't sing an entire set of classic material.  I saw him on tour with them, and he had tons of energy, but just couldn't deliver the notes.  And that was with a slightly shorter set (opening for Def Leppard) and with Deen giving him a couple of breaks in the set by singing a few songs.  He definitely has the range to go high, but he can't stay in Perry's range for an entire set of material.  As talented as he is, there's just no way it could have worked.

Yeah, I heard about Augeri's problems, a shame, he was the perfect fit.  There's plenty of youtube stuff where he gives performances as good as Perry and better.  Agree with Soto also, you can hear even on the new WET stuff he is at the top of his range, I mean really at the top, nowhere near Perry really.  Still a powerhouse vocalist, on the Talisman DVD he is amazing, the new DVD from him is good, but you can tell he is still having some problems from his throat nodules.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 05:19:32 AM »
Just. Not. Interested.

Arnel is NOT the right fit. I realize the masses have spoken and most like this guy, but I did NOT like Revelation at all and from what I heard of him live, he's nowhere near the singer of Perry, Augeri, or Soto, even if his range is Perry-like.

Agree 100%

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 08:16:45 AM »
Agree with Soto also, you can hear even on the new WET stuff he is at the top of his range, I mean really at the top, nowhere near Perry really.  Still a powerhouse vocalist, on the Talisman DVD he is amazing, the new DVD from him is good, but you can tell he is still having some problems from his throat nodules.

I have the first Talisman album and it was excellent.  I'll have to look into this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 05:47:19 AM »
Agree with Soto also, you can hear even on the new WET stuff he is at the top of his range, I mean really at the top, nowhere near Perry really.  Still a powerhouse vocalist, on the Talisman DVD he is amazing, the new DVD from him is good, but you can tell he is still having some problems from his throat nodules.

I have the first Talisman album and it was excellent.  I'll have to look into this.

Indeed it was, great AOR/melodic hard rock all the way through.  The rest of their stuff is solid aswell.  Truth was really their only let down, all their other albums were excellent.  Shame we will probably never hear the new stuff after Marcel knocking himself off last year.

Anyway the DVD is by far one of my favourites.  Amazing performances all the way through.  Akersson shreds on this also.

Here's a clip from the DVD for Break your Chains.  Watch it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7wiQrk27us

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2010, 06:54:23 AM »
NICE!  Excellent video, excellent sound.  I think I should get my hands on this, just to be able to check out MORE of their stuff than what I know now.  Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2010, 06:56:46 AM »
NICE!  Excellent video, excellent sound.  I think I should get my hands on this, just to be able to check out MORE of their stuff than what I know now.  Thanks!

No probs, the DVD is just one killer song after another.  The video quality is crap on that video but the DVD quality is fantastic.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 07:09:37 AM »
Temporarily out of stock on his website.  I'll have to inquire about it.