Author Topic: RIP Ronnie James Dio (confirmed)  (Read 41047 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: RIP Ronnie James Dio (confirmed)
« Reply #280 on: January 02, 2017, 05:52:39 PM »
On the one hand, I can picture how it could be done quite tastefully. They could treat it as a retrospective with a variety of guest singers, and have the, uh, Pepper's Ghostic Dio appear for only a handful of songs introducing each era. That could actually be alright. Have It open the show with Kill the King then have guests sing one or two more Rainbow songs. Have It appear for Sign of the Southern Cross, then back with the guests. On and On and On it goes.

On the other hand, seeing the thing say thanks to the audience didn't sit well with me because of the earnestness RJD conveyed. There was a sincerity with him. He was the most gracious musician I've seen, and it never came across as thanks for the cheque. He was genuinely grateful. This is more of a cash grab, which is exactly the thing that Dio would have hated.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #281 on: January 02, 2017, 06:02:13 PM »
So true Bart. Dio made me feel like he was speaking to me, my crowd. It was an impressive talent he had. He seemed genuinely thankful.

On the No Prayer tour, Bruce Dickinson goes, "How you doing, Rochester?". Problem was, we were in Providence. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #282 on: January 02, 2017, 07:50:15 PM »
I'm still curious how they pull that stuff off.

I mean, I assume the hologram is based on live recordings? If so, the actual live band has to play perfectly in sync to a pre-recorded live vocal track. However, since the live vocal track was not to a click or anything, how do they sync it up perfectly?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #283 on: January 03, 2017, 01:03:41 AM »
Well, even if the live vocal does not respect the studio tempo, it still respected the tempo of the song while it was being played live, I know nothing about click track but I don't think it's impossible to, uh, "reverse engineer" a click from a live song, once you figure out the tempo it was played.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #284 on: January 03, 2017, 01:05:48 AM »
Well, even if the live vocal does not respect the studio tempo, it still respected the tempo of the song while it was being played live, I know nothing about click track but I don't think it's impossible to, uh, "reverse engineer" a click from a live song, once you figure out the tempo it was played.

It's really damn near. Since they're not playing to a steady tempo live. It would take forever to figure that out.

They probably end quantizing it all to a more standard click.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #285 on: January 03, 2017, 01:06:14 AM »
I'm still curious how they pull that stuff off.

I mean, I assume the hologram is based on live recordings? If so, the actual live band has to play perfectly in sync to a pre-recorded live vocal track. However, since the live vocal track was not to a click or anything, how do they sync it up perfectly?

Well they certainly had that issue at the start at least..................the first example of the Dio hologram in concert had Craig Goldy miming guitar to what was clearly the sound from the Evil or Divine live DVD which featured Doug Aldrich on guitar.  Presumably the hologram was based on that gig too.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #286 on: January 03, 2017, 03:25:07 AM »
From a technological perspective, not that crazy difficult. First, create a click track that follows the original performance. Then, use audio/video stretching software to straighten out the tempo so the drummer can play to it during live performance.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: January 03, 2017, 04:50:00 AM »
Well,

Apparently he's going back on tour, as a hologram...   WTF

https://www.metalsucks.net/2016/12/29/dio-hologram-tour-planned-for-2017/

I don't like it.

*ONE* special occasion such as Wacken, it's fine. But a whole tour based on that idea... just no.

My thoughts also.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #288 on: January 03, 2017, 09:01:46 AM »
I'm interested to see what this is all about.  I don't know Dio, but I can't imagine he would be overly cool with this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #289 on: January 03, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »
On the one hand, I can picture how it could be done quite tastefully. They could treat it as a retrospective with a variety of guest singers, and have the, uh, Pepper's Ghostic Dio appear for only a handful of songs introducing each era. That could actually be alright. Have It open the show with Kill the King then have guests sing one or two more Rainbow songs. Have It appear for Sign of the Southern Cross, then back with the guests. On and On and On it goes.

On the other hand, seeing the thing say thanks to the audience didn't sit well with me because of the earnestness RJD conveyed. There was a sincerity with him. He was the most gracious musician I've seen, and it never came across as thanks for the cheque. He was genuinely grateful. This is more of a cash grab, which is exactly the thing that Dio would have hated.

My buddy Jim saw the Dehumanizer tour in Hartford at the Bushnell Theater, and he stood outside the bus in the empty parking lot in Hartford, in the cold signing EVERYTHING that fans put in front of him.  Jim said he was there for a good 45 minutes, and made sure everyone had their moment.   Can't put a price on that. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #290 on: January 03, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

My buddy Jim saw the Dehumanizer tour in Hartford at the Bushnell Theater, and he stood outside the bus in the empty parking lot in Hartford, in the cold signing EVERYTHING that fans put in front of him.  Jim said he was there for a good 45 minutes, and made sure everyone had their moment.   Can't put a price on that.
When he died Blabbermouth had a thread where they relayed stories from other musicians and industry folk, and there were hundreds of those stories. I remember one from a limo driver about how he tried to take RJD to the back loading area only be told to take him back to the front. People were standing in line in the cold and as he put it "I'm not going to pretend I didn't see those people." Got out up front and walked to the back glad-handing and posing for pictures in the cold. Dude loved and appreciated his fans and for that reason I don't think he'd dig this empty gesture.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #291 on: January 03, 2017, 02:48:13 PM »
I worked with a guy who met him at an airport and said he was totally cool.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #292 on: January 03, 2017, 03:52:04 PM »
Yeah he always seemed like the real deal and truly did appreciate his fans.

Speaking of Dio, hopefully this year they can rerelease the Hear N Aid sessions. Sounds like a new cd and DVD are in the works at some point per Wendy