Author Topic: Concert Age Restrictions Question  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
Concert Age Restrictions Question
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:23:12 PM »
Alright, so about a month and a half ago, I bought VIP Iced Earth tickets for the Nokia Theatre in New York. Just for the hell of it, I went to their website to see if the VIP tickets had sold out yet. While on the page, I notice that it says "Must be at least 16 to attend." You can guess where this is going. The show is September 23rd... and my sixteenth birthday is

SEPTEMBER FUCKING 25TH.

Do they check a license or something, or will they let me in if I look 16? Should I call the venue and check, or what? I'm super excited for this show and being two days too young to get and having already bought tickets would suck. Also, I'm positive that it didn't say that you had to be 16 when they first put the page up.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
Re: Concert Age Restrictions Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
I wouldn't sweat it. If they ask you your birthday, just tell them it is Sept. 25, 1993, instead. They won't know the difference. Or if they ask you what year you were born, say '93.

Not every 16 year old has a permit or DL, so it's not like they can expect that.

Man, typing that made me feel old.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 04:28:05 PM »
I wouldn't sweat it. If they ask you your birthday, just tell them it is Sept. 25, 1993, instead. They won't know the difference. Or if they ask you what year you were born, say '93.

Not every 16 year old has a permit or DL, so it's not like they can expect that.

Man, typing that made me feel old.

I just had an old man flashback reading your post. :D
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 04:32:33 PM »
Yeah I suppose that's a good point. This is actually the first concert I've been to that has an age restriction. Why are there even restrictions anyway?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
Age restrictions exist for shows where any of the following apply: A) It's perceived it might get rowdy (metal concerts fit this bill); B) They plan on being very lax about enforcement of laws (i.e. they aren't going to track down people who light up); C) Alcohol will be served or permitted.  There are probably other reasons, but I've been to shows where each of those was a concern/happened.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
I've never heard of a metal concert in my life that could cause any trouble. As long as you're not getting close to the stage when you're not a big and tough guy (or just with an amazing sense of balance), absolutely nothing can happen.

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »
Every show I've been to has been hard rock/metal (Iron Maiden, AC/DC, Metallica, Progressive Nation 2009, etc...) and there have been no age limits, and alcohol was surely served. But the "lax on enforcing the laws" would be a valid reason I guess... but it's Iced Earth. As popular and awesome as they are, it's not like it's Metallica and there are gonna be 30,000 people there.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 04:58:48 PM »
porcupine tree in the millenium dome venue (dunno the real name) was 18+ or with relative. So we asked two random people :lol

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 05:00:49 PM »
:clap:

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 05:06:19 PM »
porcupine tree in the millenium dome venue (dunno the real name) was 18+ or with relative. So we asked two random people :lol

:clap: :clap:
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »
Speaking of age restrictions, Stone Temple Pilots are playing near me on Tuesday and it's also 16+, which makes me a  :sadpanda:.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 05:09:48 PM »
Shows down here only had age restrictions if they were in bars.  In those cases, they checked IDs religiously (nobody likes the TABC down here).  In those cases, we borrowed IDs from others people.  

estį esto realmente usted?
What'd you say to me?
æes usted esta persona?
WHAT?
ARE YOU REALLY JUAN DIEGO MARTINEZ?  FUCK!
Oh.  Yeah, I'm Juan Dango Martinez, yeah.
Enjoy the show.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 05:16:50 PM »
I've been to concerts at bars/clubs up here in Upstate NY and only one has even bothered to put "x's" on our hands to indicate we were under 21.  Otherwise, no age limits.

Offline 7deg_inner_happiness

• Can't get enough music!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:39 AM »
This thread has been dormant for almost 5 years now.  Leave it to a bonehead ( :loser: ) move by me to revive the topic!   :lol  So I waited too long to buy tickets for the upcoming Steven Wilson tour, and it's sold out in Boston.  So last night I bought 4 tickets to an NYC show at the Best Buy Theater, and didn't notice the 16+ age restriction until after I printed the tickets.  I plan to attend with my wife and two teenage boys, but one will be 2 years shy of 16.  Am I screwed?  Any thought?
- Ronzoni -

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2015, 03:40:41 PM »
This thread has been dormant for almost 5 years now.  Leave it to a bonehead ( :loser: ) move by me to revive the topic!   :lol  So I waited too long to buy tickets for the upcoming Steven Wilson tour, and it's sold out in Boston.  So last night I bought 4 tickets to an NYC show at the Best Buy Theater, and didn't notice the 16+ age restriction until after I printed the tickets.  I plan to attend with my wife and two teenage boys, but one will be 2 years shy of 16.  Am I screwed?  Any thought?

I doubt it. I'm sure they wouldn't even bother checking if it's a family. I wouldn't take this as legal advice though.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2015, 03:58:08 PM »

I replied to your post in the SW thread  ;)

16 year olds often do not have IDs yet, so all you say is you're his parent and he's 16. FYI, I just looked and Best Buy's website says under 16 is fine with a ticketed guardian, so unless this show is a special exception to that rule you're fine. Just call them if you're really worried.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »
Thank you for your replies "ytserush" and "bout to crash".  I do think we'll be fine since we're entering the venue as a family.  However, it wouldn't surprise me if we're questioned about his age, but we'll just indicate that he's 16...he's tall enough to pass.  After that I don't think they would request to see an ID, but we'll see.  Anyway, it should be an amazing show!
- Ronzoni -

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »
True that! Yeah, even if they did ask for ID I'd be like "He's 16- he doesn't drive and I'm not bringing his birth certificate with me to NYC!"
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2015, 06:33:34 PM »
True that! Yeah, even if they did ask for ID I'd be like "He's 16- he doesn't drive and I'm not bringing his birth certificate with me to NYC!"

Yeah, that's pretty much the line I'll drop if asked, albeit in a non-condescending way.  I want to maximize our chances to all get in to see the show.
- Ronzoni -

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 03:04:23 AM »
Thing is, there's some concerts where they're happy to have loads of kiddies in - One Direction, Miley Cyrus, Justin Beiber, etc. Putting an age restriction on a gig basically tells idiots to leave the sprogs at home and hire a sitter. Plus there's the serving alcohol issue - it may be a condition of the venue's licence, and in a busy, noisy gig, bar staff can't really be expected to ID everyone.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2015, 09:12:21 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty much the line I'll drop if asked, albeit in a non-condescending way.  I want to maximize our chances to all get in to see the show.

I think you'll be fine. They should take your word for it. Never been to one of his gigs, but I wouldn't expect a raucous crowd where they would be checking on everyone.

If he were going alone, it might be a different story.