Author Topic: OSI Signs with Metal Blade Records - New album this year!  (Read 12653 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: OSI Signs with Metal Blade Records - New album this year!
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 03:23:16 PM »
TAC, it's probably just a matter of style.  There are a couple things about OSI's musical 'style' that you might have difficulty getting past:

1.  Kevmo's lifeless, hypnotic, monotone, robotic, emotionless, almost-spoken vocal style

2.  Your general distaste for electronica and electronic music
Yes that's all true. Using my own closemindedness as a my measuring stick, I'm really surprised as to how many folks actually dig OSI.

And I'm insulted that you would think that I listen to a band's music strictly because of the "star" power of its respective members.   :lol

Well, I didn't think I was insulting YOU, so I had to check my own quote
I'm not trying to be an ass, but I have the first OSI, and took one listen to Blood. Would someone please tell me WTF I am missing? To me, it's like these guys with great resumes got together to make an album, but instead got drunk, and this is what we got. Would LUDWIGVAN give a f##k about these albums if they were recorded by 3 no names?

OK, I now see where you'd get that idea! :biggrin:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 03:44:18 PM »
Loved the first album.  Tolerated Free.  Disliked Blood.  This is quite unfortunate since GH is a big step up drum-wise for this sort of music.  I'd like to like Blood, but other than about 3 songs, I just can't stand it.  I'll certainly check out a new album, and hopefully it'll be better and include GH, but I'm not real hopeful.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
Can't get into 'em. But more output from these guys is good, I guess, since imo OSI are one of those bands that still haven't tapped their potential.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 04:21:01 PM »
I mean, PoS is still everything to me at the momebt,

Daniel Gildenlow was originally going to be involved in OSI, including as a vocalist. He was preparing vocals for a 27 minute song when Jim called him and told him he wasn't needed.

what could have been.

Loved the first album.  Tolerated Free.  Disliked Blood.  This is quite unfortunate since GH is a big step up drum-wise for this sort of music.  I'd like to like Blood, but other than about 3 songs, I just can't stand it.

pretty close to my feeling, except I would say I was immensely disappointed in Free, even though it had about 3 or 4 songs I liked. It was not even close to the 1st record which I consider a very well composed and cohesive album.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »
I'm a bit in TAC's camp. I like OSI, but I like the stuff that is heavier. Kev's voice is ok, it is monotone and lifeless at times, but it sorta fits the vibe of what they do musically. Even the rockin' stuff, it just works with it. I can't explain it.

The heavy electronica-type songs are usually ones I struggle with. But when they get heavy (i.e. The Escape Artist, etc.) man that makes up for it.

I really liked Blood a lot. Probably my favorite out of all three.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 04:48:11 PM »
I love the lifeless vocals, they just work so well, especially on songs like Blood.

Blood > OSI > Free anyway.

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 04:50:47 PM »
OSI are great. The electronic music is what make them great, and I wouldn't have it any other way. All 3 albums are stellar, but Free is the best.

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 04:55:11 PM »
I'm definitely not a fan of electronic music of any kind, but the way OSI handles it and composes it into their music makes me really like it (e.g. We Come Undone is a great example).

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 05:39:45 PM »
Loved the first album.  Tolerated Free.  Disliked Blood.  This is quite unfortunate since GH is a big step up drum-wise for this sort of music.  I'd like to like Blood, but other than about 3 songs, I just can't stand it.  I'll certainly check out a new album, and hopefully it'll be better and include GH, but I'm not real hopeful.

I didn't notice this post at first, but it pretty much pins down how I feel about Blood. The few songs which I love are so good that, for awhile, I vastly overestimated how good the album was. Multiple listens later, I started noticing the flaws.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 06:33:37 PM »
Personally, I don't think that Gavin brought anything new to the table on Blood. I expected the music would suit his style, but I found his work to be on par with Portnoy's. That being said, I hope they try out someone new for the new album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 06:50:46 PM »
Personally, I don't think that Gavin brought anything new to the table on Blood. I expected the music would suit his style, but I found his work to be on par with Portnoy's. That being said, I hope they try out someone new for the new album.

Y'know, there were a FEW things (read: a FEW) that I think Gav brought to the table. Like better use of ghost notes and such, an all around "lighter touch," etc.  But, overall, I don't really think he sounded more impressive than Portnoy. Then again, Portnoy seems to have had MUCH better material to work with.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 07:18:46 PM »

I didn't notice this post at first, but it pretty much pins down how I feel about Blood. The few songs which I love are so good that, for awhile, I vastly overestimated how good the album was. Multiple listens later, I started noticing the flaws.

What flaws do you speak of that you could only discern after multiple listens?
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
Super exciting news. OSI is one of the 5 or 10 best metal bands of the past decade, so this is awesome.

Except I would hesitate a long while before simply calling OSI a metal band. :p
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2010, 07:28:13 PM »
Wow.  Wouldn't expect another album so soon.  I really should give these guys some more listens.  Where should I start?

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2010, 07:34:48 PM »
I would say to try out either the latest (Blood) or Free.

I personally like Free better, but it does not start out all that great. It's an album that gets better as it goes on.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2010, 07:35:59 PM »
Debut - not your typical prog but as close as OSI gets to it.
Free - more electronic than guitar driven
Blood - probably a perfect mixture of the previous two.

Pick your album based on your taste, but ultimately I suggest you check out all three albums.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2010, 08:05:48 PM »
Loved the first album.  Tolerated Free.  Disliked Blood.  This is quite unfortunate since GH is a big step up drum-wise for this sort of music.  I'd like to like Blood, but other than about 3 songs, I just can't stand it.  I'll certainly check out a new album, and hopefully it'll be better and include GH, but I'm not real hopeful.

The flaws are nothing specific.  I'm just referring the general "been there, done that" vibe a lot of the songs on the album have. Not a whole lot catches my attention besides for what I initially liked (The Escape Artist, Terminal, Radiologue, and Blood).  Granted that's almost half the album, it's still not enough to keep "Blood" in my CD player for long.

But if I had to point out one characteristic that I believe keeps the other songs down, I'd say it's just the melodies. Songs like False Start and Stockholm are cool sounding, but ultimately the melodies aren't strong enough to pull me in.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:13:07 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2010, 08:11:58 PM »
Reading this thread has made my week that much better. I really hope Harrison comes back to do this new album.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2010, 08:14:53 PM »
Loved the first album.  Tolerated Free.  Disliked Blood.  This is quite unfortunate since GH is a big step up drum-wise for this sort of music.  I'd like to like Blood, but other than about 3 songs, I just can't stand it.  I'll certainly check out a new album, and hopefully it'll be better and include GH, but I'm not real hopeful.

The flaws are nothing specific.  I'm just referring the general "been there, done that" vibe a lot of the songs on the album have. Not a whole lot catches my attention besides for what I initially liked (The Escape Artist, Terminal, Radiologue, and Blood).  Granted that's almost half the album, it's still not enough to keep "Blood" in my CD player for long.

Surprising Blood gave you a "been there, done that" vibe after multiple listens considering there is no other band that has done what OSI are doing right now.

Me: The more I listen to Blood, there more the boring stuff gets interesting, not the other way around.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:43 PM »
I really hope Harrison comes back to do this new album.

As do I. Gavin's the bomb for this sort of stuff. :hat

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 08:14:43 AM »
Surprising Blood gave you a "been there, done that" vibe after multiple listens considering there is no other band that has done what OSI are doing right now.

Except for the first two OSI albums  ;)

But anyway, OSI may be different, but I'm just not a fan of the type of music they play in general.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2010, 09:59:57 AM »
Moore definitely has a limited vocal range, but it is unfair to call his vocals lifeless or emotionless.  His voice has kind of hypnotic quality to it, which usually matches the electronic vibe in many of their songs.  He isn't a great singer by any stretch of the imagination, but for this project, his voice just works.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2010, 10:40:06 AM »
Moore definitely has a limited vocal range, but it is unfair to call his vocals lifeless or emotionless.  His voice has kind of hypnotic quality to it, which usually matches the electronic vibe in many of their songs.  He isn't a great singer by any stretch of the imagination, but for this project, his voice just works.
With this, I agree.  I like his vocals a lot for this, almost ethereal.  Second only to Dan Rather's, IMO.  It's the music that's bothered me. 

Debut - not your typical prog but as close as OSI gets to it.
Free - more electronic than guitar driven
Blood - probably a perfect mixture of the previous two.
This about sums it up.  My problem is that I don't like the electronics as opposed to guitar driven music.  While you're correct that Blood seems to combine the two styles, it's only by including some songs from each style, and not actually combining the two.  Some of the better songs on the debut actually did have elements of both in them, which was cool and unique. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »
Memory Daydream Lapses - it's anything but emotionless/lifeless.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2010, 11:11:55 AM »
TAC, it's probably just a matter of style.  There are a couple things about OSI's musical 'style' that you might have difficulty getting past:

1.  Kevmo's lifeless, hypnotic, monotone, robotic, emotionless, almost-spoken vocal style

2.  Your general distaste for electronica and electronic music

That sums up exactly why I've never bothered to check them out and have assumed I probably would not be thrilled with what they might have to offer.  That being said, as I sit here right now, I pulled up a few tunes on an online site, and I actually am enjoying what I hear, even though this sort of thing might not otherwise really appeal to me.  So far, I've listened to Radiologue and The Escape Artist.  I can't say I'm loving it, but it's enough to have made me curious to check out more.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »
I guess being a HUGE Chroma Key fan makes it easier for me to like OSI. Though sometimes I wish Kevin would take a rest from OSI and do more Chroma Key stuff.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2010, 11:35:24 AM »
I should listen to Chroma Key :-\

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 11:38:54 AM »
I guess being a HUGE Chroma Key fan makes it easier for me to like OSI. Though sometimes I wish Kevin would take a rest from OSI and do more Chroma Key stuff.

I would think that might help.  But you also make it sound like you might otherwise somehow have to try to like OSI.  I'm not saying that's the case, and I'm not trying to slag them by saying I never had any desire to listen to them.  It's just that what they do doesn't appeal to what I generally like in music, and the two points LV made that I quoted are two things I generally do not like in my music, that's all.  But as others have mentioned, it works with their musical formula, and despite the fact that those elements would generally be a turnoff for me, the entire formula together works and I'm generally liking what I hear.

(Since the last post, I've listened to Blood (song) and Stockholm as well)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2010, 11:45:17 AM »
Moore's voice has never been the reason why I'm not thrilled about OSI or Chroma Key.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2010, 11:47:58 AM »
The more OSI the better, really. They're one of the most interesting groups around these days. I wish Jim would devote more time to Fates Warning, though, because I'd be even more excited about a new album from them.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2010, 11:53:35 AM »

I would think that might help.  But you also make it sound like you might otherwise somehow have to try to like OSI.

I personally like electronic stuff in the vein of CK more than I like the metal elements in OSI. The electronic stuff that Moore brings to the table is pretty much the reason I listen to OSI.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2010, 11:56:08 AM »
OSI is an acquired taste for a non-Chroma Key fan. I am NOT a CK fan, but I do like OSI...but only when I'm in the mood for it. Jim's riffs are great, and I enjoy the moodiness of the songs. But Kev's monotone delivery can get boring and stale if I am not in the right headspace for it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2010, 01:23:47 PM »

Pretty much exactly how I would have said it, well put.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2010, 02:59:25 PM »
Im with TAC on this one.
This band was an "idea"........then it became a band?
It's a fart that has lingered a little too long.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2010, 03:42:39 PM »
I should listen to Chroma Key :-\

The first album is the best IMO